Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CA shooting: Domestic Terrorism
(12-07-2015, 11:57 AM)michaelsean Wrote: No more or less empty than saying, "Our condolences to the victims and their families."  

If they use religion as compassion out of rote...its empty.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-07-2015, 01:38 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I've seen this sort of thing happen. It's not pretty. You're on here more than anyone fomenting fear. You would most likely shit your pants if faced with an actual scary scenario. I hope at least for your family's sake this would never happen. 

I don't want anarchy. But you mentioned some regulation there that we don't need. And you also mentioned some ridiculous notions.
(12-07-2015, 12:13 PM)GMDino Wrote: If they use religion as compassion out of rote...its empty.

If you believe in God and that he is the highest power. And then are feeling bad for someone then Ofc you will pray for them.... Pray to the highest power.

Would you rather them say.... I am a christian and believe in God but I'm not going to pray for you.... Instead I will just slap you on back and go about my day . That would be insulting them.
(12-07-2015, 12:23 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote:  Would you rather them say.... I am a christian and believe in God but I'm not going to pray for you.... Instead I will just slap you on back and go about my day .   That would be insulting them.

Why go to the trouble of building this strawman when it has already been made clear what we would rather hear them say....."Instead of just sending prayers I am actually going to do something that makes a difference."

We would not need any government benfits for the poor if Christians actually did something instead of just "sending prayers."  I now that there are a lot of charities ran by Christian organizations that do a lot of good work, but it is not near enough because too many Christians think it is bad for the poor to give them assistance.  
(12-07-2015, 12:13 PM)GMDino Wrote: If they use religion as compassion out of rote...its empty.

All condolences like that are out of rote.  Check the Dem tweets, and I'm sure they will say just about the same thing as one another.  You don't know the people, you can't say anything personal, so you give a standard line.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-07-2015, 12:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why go to the trouble of building this strawman when it has already been made clear what we would rather hear them say....."Instead of just sending prayers I am actually going to do something that makes a difference."

So funny that you guys are making a thing out of this
(12-07-2015, 12:42 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So funny that you guys are making a thing out of this

Not as funny as the fact that you don't get it.
(12-07-2015, 12:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not as funny as the fact that you don't get it.

You are mad at someone who sends condolences to people who just had something terrible happen.

Oh and btw connecting with others is part of the healing process for both sides. The side who actually lost someone needs connections from others. Can be people they know or even strangers. One way strangers connect is by sending their condolences or prayers.
(12-07-2015, 12:52 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You are mad at someone who sends condolences to people who just had something terrible happen.  

Oh and btw connecting with others is part of the healing process for both sides.   The side who actually lost someone needs connections from others.  Can be people they know or even strangers.   One way strangers connect is by sending their condolences or prayers.

I am not mad at anyone.  I just disagree with the ones who offer prayer and nothing else.

Are you mad at me every time you disagree with me?

Also I don't think it helps anyone heal to have complete strangers offer prayer for them.
(12-07-2015, 12:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why go to the trouble of building this strawman when it has already been made clear what we would rather hear them say....."Instead of just sending prayers I am actually going to do something that makes a difference."

We would not need any government benfits for the poor if Christians actually did something instead of just "sending prayers."  I now that there are a lot of charities ran by Christian organizations that do a lot of good work, but it is not near enough because too many Christians think it is bad for the poor to give them assistance.  

Speaking of strawman's...

Churches could do more if people like you would donate to them instead of donating to UNICEF, where only .14 cents of each dollar donated actually goes to helping others and then claim that you do you're fair share...
(12-07-2015, 02:35 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Speaking of strawman's...

Churches could do more if people like you would donate to them instead of donating to UNICEF, where only .14 cents of each dollar donated actually goes to helping others and then claim that you do you're fair share...

1.  Your numbers on UNICEF are wrong.....https://www.charitywatch.org/ratings-and-metrics/united-states-fund-for-unicef/439

2.  A church probably uses less than 14% on charity.
(12-07-2015, 01:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Also I don't think it helps anyone heal to have complete strangers offer prayer for them.

That could be because you are an atheist. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(12-07-2015, 02:35 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Speaking of strawman's...

An individual church isn't going to look that great when you look at the money that goes to charity, either. Religious based NGOs, though, that's another story. For instance, I like to utilize something like this: https://community.elca.org/elcagoodgifts
(12-07-2015, 10:59 AM)michaelsean Wrote: You understand that it's just a common form of condolence used by tens of millions of people right?

A condolence is an expression of sympathy/empathy from one person to another which doesn't involve God.  A prayer involves a request for help from God.  Both can be empty.  But, only one involves a request for divine intervention which brings me back to if they are going to pray why not pray for God to end the violence rather than pray for the victims of the violence? 
(12-07-2015, 12:20 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I don't want anarchy.   But you mentioned some regulation there that we don't need.   And you also mentioned some ridiculous notions.

Such as?
(12-07-2015, 12:23 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If you believe in God and that he is the highest power.  And then are feeling bad for someone then Ofc you will pray for them.... Pray to the highest power.    

Would you rather them say.... I am a christian and believe in God but I'm not going to pray for you.... Instead I will just slap you on back and go about my day .   That would be insulting them.

So if God is the highest power why don't they pray for God to stop the gun violence rather than praying for the victims of the gun violence?
(12-07-2015, 12:40 PM)michaelsean Wrote: All condolences like that are out of rote.  Check the Dem tweets, and I'm sure they will say just about the same thing as one another.  You don't know the people, you can't say anything personal, so you give a standard line.

Who implied it was limited to only Republicans?  I believe I specified "politician."
(12-07-2015, 12:42 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So funny that you guys are making a thing out of this

So funny you believe this is too trivial to make a thing out of this, but not too trivial for you to defend.
(12-07-2015, 12:52 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You are mad at someone who sends condolences to people who just had something terrible happen.  

Oh and btw connecting with others is part of the healing process for both sides.   The side who actually lost someone needs connections from others.  Can be people they know or even strangers.   One way strangers connect is by sending their condolences or prayers.

No one here is mad at anyone.  That is something you have made up and now we are denying a false allegation.  Do you think you can participate in a rational discussion without your usual tricks?
(12-07-2015, 02:35 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Speaking of strawman's...

Churches could also do more if they didn't spend the collection money on building bigger churches so they can get more members to collect more money to build bigger churches so they can get more members so they can collect more money to build bigger churches so they can get more members to collect more money to build bigger churches . . .