Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump backing down...on everything
(04-04-2019, 09:53 AM)Nately120 Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

I was born in 81 and my parents were a couple of ex pseudo-hippies with a sweet LP collection, so I learned a lot about culture and what not via music.  I remember asking my ol man why Yoko was allowed to scream during songs and what not and he said something to the tune of "Part of it is that he likes her and respects her art, and part of it is him wanting to see what he can get away with."  I also recall finding out what gay meant thanks to listening to Rocket Man by Elton John, hearing the part where he says he misses his wife, and asking my mom who Elton John's wife is to which she matter of factly replied that he is a homosexual.  I was like, 8 or 9 at the time and I was just like "Oh ok."  So as far as I knew, gay people lived in big cities and wore ruby-studded platform shoes and made kick ass albums.

But back to my main point, the more I think about it, the more Lennon's off-handed quip about the Beatles being bigger than Jesus reminds me of Trump's "I could shoot someone" quip.  In both cases there is a certain amount of criticism and amazement at the levels of unquestioned popularity they're getting.  I guess it makes sense that we put a celebrity in the white house and I start drawing lines to another homophobic, misogynistic, and ultra-paranoid celebrity who had a thing for looking down his nose at his fan-base, though.

I can only wonder who is next?

Perhaps the joke was on everyone who thought they got the joke.  A double joke.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-04-2019, 10:42 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Perhaps the joke was on everyone who thought they got the joke.  A double joke.  

Or perhaps the joke is on the people who think the people who got the joke were the ones the joke was on...or something.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Smirk

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-backs-off-threat-to-close-southern-border-immediately-says-hell-give-mexico-one-year-warning-on-drugs-migrants/2019/04/04/5fd35dfa-56f6-11e9-814f-e2f46684196e_story.html?fbclid=IwAR3pY8NepgYGOqLmxNlH6-W6kIhQUSGxciPt9BR_pfynZuvzl4rO9wY_Tmg&utm_term=.336a61c3a126

Quote:Facing widespread opposition, President Trump backed down Thursday from his threat to close the southern border, instead giving Mexico a “one-year warning,” but also leaving his administration with no clear path to deal with a record surge of migrant families.

Trump had issued an ultimatum on Twitter late last week that he would move to seal the border to trade and travel if Mexican authorities did not halt illegal immigration.

The president’s pronouncement, coming amid reports that U.S. Border Patrol was at the “breaking point,” surprised White House aides and sparked fear among Republican allies and business leaders over the potentially devastating economic impact of closing the 2,000-mile border with the nation’s third-largest trading partner.

In the days after his tweet, Trump and his senior advisers issued conflicting signals about his intentions, with some aides privately expressing befuddlement over his strategy. The president offered no public details, and aides worked behind the scenes to craft a plan that would satisfy Trump but minimize the economic harm.

Those efforts were rendered moot Thursday when Trump, in an exchange with reporters at the White House, suddenly shifted gears, saying that if Mexico does not stem the flow of drugs and migrants into the United States within the next year, he will impose first tariffs on cars and then, possibly, close the border.

“We’re going to give them a one-year warning, and if the drugs don’t stop or largely stop, we’re going to put tariffs on Mexico and products, particularly cars,” Trump said. “And if that doesn’t stop the drugs, we close the border.”

Later in the afternoon, ahead of a trade meeting with Chinese officials, Trump praised Mexico for “doing a very good job in the last three or four days since we talked about closing the border,” even though Mexican authorities have said they have not altered their enforcement policies.

[Trump extends threat of border closure, shifting ultimatum to U.S. lawmakers]

The president’s decision offered relief to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, which along with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) had lobbied Trump not to act.

“We welcome the President’s decision not to close the Mexican border,” Neil Bradley, the Chamber’s executive vice president, said in a statement. He called on Congress and the White House to ensure that U.S. Customs and Border Protection, which has shifted personnel to help process the migrant families, has sufficient resources “to reduce the excessive wait times affecting legitimate trade and travel across the border.”

Now, before the usual defenders wander in...yes, it's a good thing that he isn't just closing the border willy nilly like an uneducated buffoon would normally do.  It's still funny that he blusters without any knowledge and then when he backs off because EVERYONE tells him it's an awful idea he still tries to act like he's a "tough guy" when in reality he has no idea what he is doing and just talking out his rear most of the time.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-04-2019, 09:53 AM)Nately120 Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

I was born in 81 and my parents were a couple of ex pseudo-hippies with a sweet LP collection, so I learned a lot about culture and what not via music.  I remember asking my ol man why Yoko was allowed to scream during songs and what not and he said something to the tune of "Part of it is that he likes her and respects her art, and part of it is him wanting to see what he can get away with."  I also recall finding out what gay meant thanks to listening to Rocket Man by Elton John, hearing the part where he says he misses his wife, and asking my mom who Elton John's wife is to which she matter of factly replied that he is a homosexual.  I was like, 8 or 9 at the time and I was just like "Oh ok."  So as far as I knew, gay people lived in big cities and wore ruby-studded platform shoes and made kick ass albums.

But back to my main point, the more I think about it, the more Lennon's off-handed quip about the Beatles being bigger than Jesus reminds me of Trump's "I could shoot someone" quip.  In both cases there is a certain amount of criticism and amazement at the levels of unquestioned popularity they're getting.  I guess it makes sense that we put a celebrity in the white house and I start drawing lines to another homophobic, misogynistic, and ultra-paranoid celebrity who had a thing for looking down his nose at his fan-base, though.

I can only wonder who is next?

Damn whippersnappers!

I was born in 1969 and my parents didn't really care for the Beatles.  Dad graduated in 63 and went to the Air Force, mom graduate in 64 and worked until they got married after they met in 1968.

I had ONE Beatles album but more often than not our house had music from the 50's and early 60's.  It wasn't until I was a pre-teen that I started listening to the late 60's and then more modern stuff.  That I grew up to be a DJ comes from my early exposure to all kinds of music, not just the popular stuff.

So my knowledge of Lennon was limited to what I read in pop culture until I was an adult and looked a little deeper into the whole thing.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.