Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CB Brian Poole to visit
(03-14-2019, 10:02 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF Dennard is $10 million a year and Poole is $5-6 million...

Say you can get Poole, John Miller G, AND Shaq Barrett for $16 million.

Or 

Dennard for $10-11 million

I take Option 1 every time.

Why not Dennard, Miller and Shaq. We have the cap room
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Learned of the visit on profootballrumors.com. They had this to say:

Former Falcons cornerback Brian Poole is garnering some interest on the open market. We learned earlier today that he will visit the Jets, and he has a summit with the Bengals lined up after that, per Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com (via Twitter).

Poole had been the Falcons’ primary nickel cornerback for the past three seasons, but Atlanta decided against tendering him as a restricted free agent, even at the low-level tender. In 2018, he set new career highs in tackles (74), sacks (3.0), and interceptions (3), which made the club’s decision to non-tender him something of a surprise.

On the other hand, he ranked near the bottom of the league in nearly every advanced corner metric, so the Falcons may feel that they won’t be missing much. The team as a whole ranked near the bottom of the league in passing defense, so it will look to infuse the unit with some fresh blood.
The Bengals, meanwhile, could be looking for a replacement for Darqueze Dennard, whom the club is willing to re-sign, but only if the price is right.

-------------------

Sick

I get that we probably need a Dennard replacement, but I've never been a fan of paying good money to bad/mediocre players. It doesn't seem like it'd be hard to find a cheaper option that could replicate "bad"...while we throw what little money we're willing to spend at an actual upgrade. Lord knows we could use some upgrades. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 12:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Learned of the visit on profootballrumors.com. They had this to say:

Former Falcons cornerback Brian Poole is garnering some interest on the open market. We learned earlier today that he will visit the Jets, and he has a summit with the Bengals lined up after that, per Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com (via Twitter).

Poole had been the Falcons’ primary nickel cornerback for the past three seasons, but Atlanta decided against tendering him as a restricted free agent, even at the low-level tender. In 2018, he set new career highs in tackles (74), sacks (3.0), and interceptions (3), which made the club’s decision to non-tender him something of a surprise.

On the other hand, he ranked near the bottom of the league in nearly every advanced corner metric, so the Falcons may feel that they won’t be missing much. The team as a whole ranked near the bottom of the league in passing defense, so it will look to infuse the unit with some fresh blood.
The Bengals, meanwhile, could be looking for a replacement for Darqueze Dennard, whom the club is willing to re-sign, but only if the price is right.

-------------------

Sick

I get that we probably need a Dennard replacement, but I've never been a fan of paying good money to bad/mediocre players. It doesn't seem like it'd be hard to find a cheaper option that could replicate "bad"...while we throw what little money we're willing to spend at an actual upgrade. Lord knows we could use some upgrades. 
With so many players being signed or at least visiting teams, why is there zero word on Dennard from anyone?  I search Dennard rumors and it's crickets.  Not sure what to make of that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
The whole free agent visit is kind of interesting. A LOT of these guys signed within the 1st few hours so I doubt they visited their new teams.

As free agency drags on you see more visits.

I wonder why that's still a thing in this day and age?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 12:55 PM)McC Wrote: With so many players being singed or a t least visiting teams, why is there zero word on Dennard from anyone?  I search Dennard rumors and it's crickets.  Not sure what to make of that.

Same. I found nothing on him. Very little on Eifert too.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Same. I found nothing on him. Very little on Eifert too.
Increases the chances of the Bengals having both back at the price they want?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:07 PM)McC Wrote: Increases the chances of the Bengals having both back at the price they want?

Maybe? If it's Dennard or Poole at the same price, gimme Dennard...even though he's far from stellar. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:07 PM)McC Wrote: Increases the chances of the Bengals having both back at the price they want?

I think Eifert knows he is going to have to take a lessor deal until he proves he can stay healthy....
Reply/Quote
I kinda feel like we have to bring Eifert back. If Uzomah is our starting TE, defenses aren't going to respect him and it's going to lead to double-teams for Boyd and Green.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Maybe? If it's Dennard or Poole at the same price, gimme Dennard...even though he's far from stellar. 

And Dennard does seem to be hurt for some part of every year.  Honestly, I saw better ball skills out of Darius Phillips in small samples last year than I ever saw out of Dennard.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:19 PM)McC Wrote: And Dennard does seem to be hurt for some part of every year.  Honestly, I saw better ball skills out of Darius Phillips in small samples last year than I ever saw out of Dennard.

Sheesh, I wasn't even thinking about Dennard's injuries. Maybe Poole would be better (he's missed 1 game in 3 years). 

And this guy was good enough to start in a Super Bowl run. So there's that.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sheesh, I wasn't even thinking about Dennard's injuries. Maybe Poole would be better (he's missed 1 game in 3 years). 

And this guy was good enough to start in a Super Bowl run. So there's that.

Dennard's injuries probably have a lot to do with his willingness as a tackler in the run game, which is one area where he is pretty good.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I kinda feel like we have to bring Eifert back. If Uzomah is our starting TE, defenses aren't going to respect him and it's going to lead to double-teams for Boyd and Green.

I will say Uzomah has gotten to the point where he can make teams pay for not respecting him.  He may not be TE1 good, but he is far from chopped liver.  And Callahan has said more than once that their offense does not require a dominant force at the position.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 10:02 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF Dennard is $10 million a year and Poole is $5-6 million...

Say you can get Poole, John Miller G, AND Shaq Barrett for $16 million.

Or 

Dennard for $10-11 million

I take Option 1 every time.

I agree. I like Dennard but if we can add more overall talent which is what we need then I would go option 1 also. I would be surprised about Barrett because he is probably going to be out of our price range but I would love to be pleasantly surprised.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 10:32 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I was really hoping we could get Dennard re-signed for $7M. 

It kind of depends on what kind of money Denard and his agent are looking for. Even though the Bengals might lowball him, he's NOT going to lowball himself. Is he a guy hoping to set the market and become a starting 'shut down corner" type money guy or will he and his agent be realistic? 
I hope he resigns, but he's not a shutdown corner here nor anywhere else for that matter.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
signed with Jets 1 year 3.5 mil

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 09:27 PM)pally Wrote: signed with Jets 1 year 3.5 mil

Which is what we should have given Webb. The 4.5 per isn’t that bad either but I don’t understand the need for all these 3 year deals.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 12:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I get that we probably need a Dennard replacement, but I've never been a fan of paying good money to bad/mediocre players. It doesn't seem like it'd be hard to find a cheaper option that could replicate "bad"...while we throw what little money we're willing to spend at an actual upgrade. Lord knows we could use some upgrades. 

Why pay 2 great players $10m/yr each when you can pay 4 terrible players $5m/yr each?

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 10:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Why pay 2 great players $10m/yr each when you can pay 4 terrible players $5m/yr each?

Ninja

It's pretty unbelievable. We're going to spend all our money on backups.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 09:43 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd be ok with him as a 3rd CB. IF we were signing him to start it would be bad.

Does anyone know who follows Atlanta if he was used there as a #2 CB or a slot CB? IF for instance he was a #2 CB there, he'd likely be better in the slot.

Would it be a great signing? No. But, it's not terrible either and it avoids us having to draft a CB in the 1st Round.

It kind of feels like the Bengals are freeing themselves up to take a WR, QB, or TE in the 1st Round.

Meh I dunno, I don't think we've done enough to say we're set at any position of need prior to FA. Hart is no starter and Poole may be decent but if it's at the cost of losing Dennard then it's a wash. The only position we may be ok at is RB. Every other position should be considered at 11, except for P/K of course.
Reply/Quote