Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
CB-Patrick Peterson
(02-24-2023, 10:51 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If he comes here ring chasing, he's more than welcome. He played for a 1yr/$4m deal last year. I would gladly match that to make it less likely we see Tre Flowers or Dax Hill at CB again in 2023. Great insurance in case Awuzie isn't 100% to start the season, too.

Can never have enough quality CBs.

Yup. Once we lock up as many of our own guys as we can I hope we have enough left over for these types of signings. Solid depth spot starter types signed reasonably cheap looking to play for a contender. I don’t see, nor expect, the team to be big players in bringing in the top free agents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 09:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We signed 2 of their CBs that year. I don't remember much about the other one either.

Mackenzie Alexander and he was damn good his one year with us. I wanted us to re-sign him and then we brought in Hilton 
which made you not remember him lol

(02-23-2023, 09:56 PM)samhain Wrote: He's certainly the kind of player you could get on a one-year ring chasing deal.

He's older, but so was Terrance Newman when he came in here and played solid football.

Exactly, all for it.

(02-23-2023, 10:04 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Mackensie Alexander

Mack had a really good year in the Leon/Mike Hilton role and had the nice pick of 'berger where he high-stepped in the game that turned things around.

Beat me to it Truck. Liked Mack a lot while he was here. Waynes is the outlier.

(02-24-2023, 10:51 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If he comes here ring chasing, he's more than welcome. He played for a 1yr/$4m deal last year. I would gladly match that to make it less likely we see Tre Flowers or Dax Hill at CB again in 2023. Great insurance in case Awuzie isn't 100% to start the season, too.

Truth. Seems like a no brainer to me as insurance in case Awuzie isn't quite 100% same as we need to add a RT in case LC 
isn't 100% which is likely. Hell yeah to bringing in Patrick Peterson ring chasing.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2023, 01:24 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Pass. Old corners aren’t good.

Nah, we don't need no stinkiin' future HOFers in our defensive backs room..

^This, 100%.  Just the experience and work ethic alone make having him a part of the team worthwhile.  CTB and Dax Hill getting tips and led by example by a future HOF CB like the Honeybadger?  Yes, please.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2023, 03:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nah, we don't need no stinkiin' future HOFers in our defensive backs room..

^This, 100%.  Just the experience and work ethic alone make having him a part of the team worthwhile.  CTB and Dax Hill getting tips and led by example by a future HOF CB like the Honeybadger?  Yes, please.

Right.

The thing that worries me in the secondary is the likely absence of Bates and what it does to the group as a whole.  Jesse sometimes gets disrespect, but he's a rangy player that covers a lot of ground in single high.  Maybe Dax can be that guy, but we don't know that yet.  Even if he can there will be a leaning curve, no doubt.

Many of us thought the Bengals were dead meat after Awuzie went down and our starting corner spots were manned by a rookie and Apple.  They did more than fine and the team won 10 straight.  I don't think that will be the case once a player of Bates' caliber departs.  They will need more depth and experience at corner, especially if Chido isn't 100 percent.  

Semi-related: The defense is likely to deteriorate once the Burrow and Chase get paid.  The roster on that side of the ball is loaded with free agents, and most of them are not cheap.  It paid off because they won a lot more games for this team than they sometimes receive credit for.  Once cap attrition hits, the offense will be the money side of the ball and will need to start putting up a lot of points consistently to protect a less-loaded defense.  
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 10:06 AM)samhain Wrote: Right.

The thing that worries me in the secondary is the likely absence of Bates and what it does to the group as a whole.  Jesse sometimes gets disrespect, but he's a rangy player that covers a lot of ground in single high.  Maybe Dax can be that guy, but we don't know that yet.  Even if he can there will be a leaning curve, no doubt.

Many of us thought the Bengals were dead meat after Awuzie went down and our starting corner spots were manned by a rookie and Apple.  They did more than fine and the team won 10 straight.  I don't think that will be the case once a player of Bates' caliber departs.  They will need more depth and experience at corner, especially if Chido isn't 100 percent.  

Semi-related: The defense is likely to deteriorate once the Burrow and Chase get paid.  The roster on that side of the ball is loaded with free agents, and most of them are not cheap.  It paid off because they won a lot more games for this team than they sometimes receive credit for.  Once cap attrition hits, the offense will be the money side of the ball and will need to start putting up a lot of points consistently to protect a less-loaded defense.  

Jessie does have great range, I will give him that, but he still also gives up head scratching TD's like the Kelce TD in the AFCC.

He also is not the best tackler still. I like Dax in this area much more, we will see how Dax grows under Lou's tutelage who is great
with Secondary players. Honestly I like our future on Defense as long as we keep drafting well. Extending Burrow, Tee, letting Mixon 
go while adding to the OL and drafting well and we should be just fine. CTB was damn good as a rookie and Dax will follow suit I 
have no doubt.

Predicting Dax Hill and ADG step up in the absence of Bates and Pratt.
Reply/Quote
You can't have too many good CBs. This is a passing league CBs are super valuable.
Reply/Quote