Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
CB Sidney Jones-1 Year deal
(03-27-2023, 02:24 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: one year prove it deal. He needs to prove he can stay healthy.

Pretty much, but doesn't mean Apple is out yet. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 05:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Had a 51.3 PFF grade last year for what it's worth.

Queue the I've never seen Jones play crowd...and PFF sucks crowd...

For the record, I'm all for signing CB's with experience. Just so many injuries there.

Apple wasn’t good before he came here either. I trust Lou with DB’s.

Reply/Quote
I like it.

Wonder if we got tired of waiting on Apple. Or if we even are interested in bringing him back. Probably not too many on the team players, coaches, or front office who are big fans of a social media shit starter.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 03:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, I know nothing about this kid, but if Lou thinks he will fit I'm good with it.

With you on not knowing anything about Sidney but

In Lou I Trust. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 05:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Same. Not a great player. But, has height and is physical. Seems to have a nice niche.

Flowers is a good ST'er as well. I bet Simmons wants him back.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 03:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good player, just been plagued by injuries for most of his career. Nice signing, especially on a 1 year prove it deal.

Hope he can stay healthy with us, talented Corner. Might be an upgrade over Flowers, we will see, but I think we still bring back Eli.

Can hardly go too wrong on a 1 year cheap prove it deal. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 05:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Apple wasn’t good before he came here either. I trust Lou with DB’s.

True, Chido wasn't near as good as a Cowboy either, same with Vonn and the Saints. Lou is a fantastic Secondary coach but has 
grown as a coach in all the areas from DL to the LB's under Bettcher. So happy Lou is back.

(03-27-2023, 05:30 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I like it.

Wonder if we got tired of waiting on Apple. Or if we even are interested in bringing him back. Probably not too many on the team players, coaches, or front office who are big fans of a social media shit starter.

Said it in the other thread, the longer we wait, the cheaper Apple will be. We are the only team that likes him as far as I know.

He is our kind of A-hole. Bet we get a discount as he shouldn't get many offers, he is a good player but he really messed up his 
career with his social media stuff as you say, not many people like that. No matter how good a Corner he is.
Reply/Quote
Ok for depth.
I wouldn't let this signing affect any draft plans.
I'd still target a CB early.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 05:48 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Can't hardly go too wrong on a 1 year cheap prove it deal. 

True, if Sydney stays healthy we can gamble on a longer extension afterwards. 

Also, don't know if him and Flowers were on the Seahawks and teammates at the same time either...
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 05:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ok for depth.
I wouldn't let this signing affect any draft plans.
I'd still target a CB early.

Yes, drafting Corners early is always a good idea.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 04:35 PM)Whacked Wrote: Thank you

Was he playing nickel in most of the highlights?
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 05:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, Chido wasn't near as good as a Cowboy either, same with Vonn and the Saints. Lou is a fantastic Secondary coach but has 
grown as a coach in all the areas from DL to the LB's under Bettcher. So happy Lou is back.

Livingston and Burks are excellent secondary coaches as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 06:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Livingston and Burks are excellent secondary coaches as well.

Yes, forgot their names. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I am assuming this is a Chad Ford/Max Scharping level deal. If so, good for us.

At the moment, the CB riom looks like:

Starters: Awuzie (injured), CTB, Hilton (slot)
Reserves: Jones, George, Davis (slot)
Unsigned: Apple, Flowers

I would not think any of the reserve guys a guaranteed to make the roster. Though Jines is CB4 by default currently. Re-signing Apple or Flowers or both + a draft pick & the reserves could look totally different
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 03:46 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Corresponding PFF scores: 
2017 (1 game): 50.7 
2018 (9 games): 47.5 
2019 (12 games): 63.5 
2020 (9 games): 68.1 
2021 (16 games): 70.2 
2022 (10 games): 51.3 

Apple last 3: 55.3 (2020), 60.9 ('21), 52.9 ('22). 
Flowers last 3: 54.4, 51.3, 58.6 (2020, '21, '22)

I am not sure this means the end for Apple. Contract details will shed some light. It could be the end for Flowers, J. Davis, or George. Eli is likely the most expensive of the bunch, however. 

One thing is that if we think Jones has boundary/slot versatility, we could go light at corner and only carry 5 instead of 6. With Hill's ability to play the slot, we'd still have 6 rostered guys who could play corner. Might allow us to go heavier sonewhere else (DL, for instance). 

No way am I short changing the defensive backfield. They are complicated positions, and I want as many guys there from day one as is practical.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 03:46 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Corresponding PFF scores: 
2017 (1 game): 50.7 
2018 (9 games): 47.5 
2019 (12 games): 63.5 
2020 (9 games): 68.1 
2021 (16 games): 70.2 
2022 (10 games): 51.3 

Apple last 3: 55.3 (2020), 60.9 ('21), 52.9 ('22). 
Flowers last 3: 54.4, 51.3, 58.6 (2020, '21, '22)

I am not sure this means the end for Apple. Contract details will shed some light. It could be the end for Flowers, J. Davis, or George. Eli is likely the most expensive of the bunch, however. 

One thing is that if we think Jones has boundary/slot versatility, we could go light at corner and only carry 5 instead of 6. With Hill's ability to play the slot, we'd still have 6 rostered guys who could play corner. Might allow us to go heavier sonewhere else (DL, for instance). 

He's also generally only been a spot starter. He's a reserve.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 05:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, Chido wasn't near as good as a Cowboy either, same with Vonn and the Saints. Lou is a fantastic Secondary coach but has 

Said it in the other thread, the longer we wait, the cheaper Apple will be. We are the only team that likes him as far as I know.

He is our kind of A-hole. Bet we get a discount as he shouldn't get many offers, he is a good player but he really messed up his 
career with his social media stuff as you say, not many people like that. No matter how good a Corner he is.

Vonn Bell was never a scrub. He's always had some weaknesses though... Still does.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 05:30 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I like it.

The entire league is a shit starter..  Shit flows down hill.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I like everything about a db signing with upside. I still wouldn't rule out Apple returning. No idea what his market is, but if he doesn't have a job in another month, I'd be surprised if he's not back. Personally, I hope he is.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 08:10 PM)jason Wrote: Vonn Bell was never a scrub. He's always had some weaknesses though... Still does.

Yeah, coverage at times, he is short and slower so not a lot of range but hits like a mutha.

Vonn's strength's are his smarts and physicality. What is nice is Brick Scott also has these intangibles and is much faster.

(03-27-2023, 09:13 PM)samhain Wrote: I like everything about a db signing with upside.  I still wouldn't rule out Apple returning.  No idea what his market is, but if he doesn't have a job in another month, I'd be surprised if he's not back.  Personally, I hope he is.

Same, always liked Sydney Jones since his days with the Huskies as well. Would be fantastic if he turned his career around here.

Also would like to see Eli back and expect it. We will see.
Reply/Quote