Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CB snap counts from last year
Stats at ProFootballReference.com are a little confusing.

Team stats says Bengals defense faced 1021 snaps, but individual stats give Jesse Bates credit for playing 1050 snaps on defense (and 62 more on special teams).

But even though I can not swear to the exact accuracy I still think you will get my point.  These are the defensive snap counts for our CBs last year not counting special teams)

Jackson......................................................886
LeShaun Sims/Jalen Davis/Tony Brown..........773
Alexander...................................................642
Phillips.......................................................593
Waynes.....................................................   0

Our CB corps was crippled last year.  The scrubs played more than three of our best CBs.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 04:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Stats at ProFootballReference.com are a little confusing.

Team stats says Bengals defense faced 1021 snaps, but individual stats give Jesse Bates credit for playing 1050 snaps on defense (and 62 more on special teams).

But even though I can not swear to the exact accuracy I still think you will get my point.  These are the defensive snap counts for our CBs last year not counting special teams)

Jackson......................................................886
LeShaun Sims/Jalen Davis/Tony Brown...........773
Alexander...................................................642
Phillips........................................................593
Waynes.....................................................   0

Our CB corps was crippled last year.  The scrubs played more than three of our best CBs.

Breaking down each of the scrubs:
Sims - 606
Brown - 95
Davis - 72

So really, just one scrub played more than one of the best CBs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 04:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So really, just one scrub played more than one of the best CBs.

Doesn't matter to me if it was one scrub or ten. I am lumping them all in one basket called "scrub snaps".  And we had a lot of them. We could have dealt with the loss of Waynes much better if we had not lost Alexander for 3 games, Jackson for 2, and Phillips for 4.
Reply/Quote
We've had some rotten injury luck with our CBs over the past few years. Dre, Dennard, WJ3... hopefully the guys left can stay healthy now that none of them carries a first-round ticket. :)
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 04:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Breaking down each of the scrubs:
Sims - 606
Brown - 95
Davis - 72

So really, just one scrub played more than one of the best CBs.

Lol... pay no attention to mere facts when it comes to excuse making, Ocho.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 07:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Doesn't matter to me if it was one scrub or ten. I am lumping them all in one basket called "scrub snaps".  And we had a lot of them. We could have dealt with the loss of Waynes much better if we had not lost Alexander for 3 games, Jackson for 2, and Phillips for 4.

It's true that the "basket of scrubs" gave up a lot of plays, missed a bunch of tackles, and cost the team some games.  However, they got one thing that they normally would not have, a ton of developmental reps.

Just sad that those reps came at the expense of the Bengals win/loss totals..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 09:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's true that the "basket of scrubs" gave up a lot of plays, missed a bunch of tackles, and cost the team some games.  However, they got one thing that they normally would not have, a ton of developmental reps.

"Developmental reps"?  It was Simms 5th year in the league...He is just a scrub
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 06:13 AM)spazz70 Wrote: "Developmental reps"?  It was Simms 5th year in the league...He is just a scrub

Now that, I did not realize.  Yeah, he's just not very good.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 08:16 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Now that, I did not realize.  Yeah, he's just not very good.

LOL  You're too kind Sunset.

[Image: raw]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 08:29 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: LOL  You're too kind Sunset.

[Image: raw]

Attached Files Image(s)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 09:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's true that the "basket of scrubs" gave up a lot of plays, missed a bunch of tackles, and cost the team some games.  However, they got one thing that they normally would not have, a ton of developmental reps.

Last year Sims was 27 with 4 years of NFL experience under his belt.  He was already finished "developing".

Tony Brown and Jalen Davis both had 2 years of NFL experience before last season.

If we had gotten that type of play out of rookies I would have at least had some hope that they might improve dramatically for this season.  But all 3 of these guys will be in at least their 4th NFL season.  It is pretty rare to see big leaps in production this late in their careers.

They are scrubs.  I would rather play rookies this year than see them any more.  But hopefully our top 4 CBs won't all get knocked out with injury and miss a combined  25 games.  That was brutal. 
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 02:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year Sims was 27 with 4 years of NFL experience under his belt.  He was already finished "developing".

Tony Brown and Jalen Davis both had 2 years of NFL experience before last season.

If we had gotten that type of play out of rookies I would have at least had some hope that they might improve dramatically for this season.  But all 3 of these guys will be in at least their 4th NFL season.  It is pretty rare to see big leaps in production this late in their careers.

They are scrubs.  I would rather play rookies this year than see them any more.  But hopefully our top 4 CBs won't all get knocked out with injury and miss a combined  25 games.  That was brutal. 

Well that's what you get when you have no-name guys with your last 2-3 depth spots.
The Bengals probably could have gone out and signed some better-known CBs as their back-end CBs, but they chose to go with nobodies instead.
I think/hope they learned their lesson, now having Eli Apple as CB5 instead of no-name guys. They signed Antonio Phillips as a UDFA out of Ball St to likely compete for CB6 duties. They gave him a good signing bonus when it comes to UDFAs, so he might stick in place of Brown, Davis, or Sims.
Phillips played in the MAC, but he's been a solid ball hawk and cover guy while having the necessary size to stay outside.
8 INTs (all within last 3 seasons), 18 PBUs, 137 total tackles.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote