Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CBS New Mock has a surprise
CBS now has Bengals selecting OT Martinas Rankin out of Mississippi State as our new Center in the second round.

Could be wrong just read quickly but believe Price was only Center gone in mock before Bengals pick which made it more of an oddity.

Does anybody know much about the kid and how do you feel about it ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I don't know if this is right or wrong so don't attack me. But I prefer our next center to have played the position in College. Did he? No projects.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Probably should not have been the one posting thread per being only off day this week and going to see Black Panther in 45 minutes and have 2 MRI's scheduled tonight. While all in the middle of a fantasy baseball draft.

But thought it may be worthy of discussion.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Here's what NFL.com had to say about his weaknesses.

Quote:Weaknesses Average slide quickness to meet edge speed. Plays with some ankle stiffness. Base narrows as slide progresses. Hands take rounded route into punch opening his frame. Hand placement runs wide and high. Struggles to latch and ride in pass pro with defenders displacing his hands. Lacks of firmness in outside hand and average slide quickness allows rushers access to his edge. Gives some ground to power. Comes off ball and lands with elevated pad level in run game. Loses leverage battles. Lacks initial lateral quickness. Unable to sustain as drive blocker. Inconsistent finisher losing command in the third phase of the block.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 01:06 PM)jj22 Wrote: I don't know if this is right or wrong so don't attack me. But I prefer our next center to have played the position in College. Did he? No projects.

Not going to attack you and please do not take any disagreement debates as such. 

Think you are a great poster and certainly understand this stance even though I would not mind giving Wynn a chance. 

It is a gamble doing so. Just shocked me when I read Rankin. Had us taking McGinchey in first as well. 

Was only a two round mock. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 01:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's what NFL.com had to say about his weaknesses.

Would think he was a 6th round selection after reading this

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 01:13 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Would think he was a 6th round selection after reading this

When I read things like "Struggles with power", "Pad level too high in run blocking", "Hands high and wide", "Not a good drive blocker", it scares the shit out of me.  

Honestly, I'd be quite disappointed if they went that route.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 01:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When I read things like "Struggles with power", "Pad level too high in run blocking", "Hands high and wide", "Not a good drive blocker", it scares the shit out of me.  

Honestly, I'd be quite disappointed if they went that route.

It is not anything that I envisioned personally but admittedly knew nothing about him. 

Of course they are evaluating him as Tackle, but still sounds rough if they know what they are talking about at all. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Wynn is only one that I wanted to possibly give chance at switch but even with him thinking more of a Guard and wanting to still draft Center in second round if taking him at 21.

But love his versatility and think Wynn would be great addition still.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 01:05 PM)Go Cards Wrote: CBS now has Bengals selecting OT Martinas Rankin out of Mississippi State as our new Center in the second round.

Could be wrong just read quickly but believe Price was only Center gone in mock before Bengals pick which made it more of an oddity.

Does anybody know much about the kid and how do you feel about it ?

I only saw him in 1 game and he plays LT. That game was against Alabama and he kicked the shit out of Hand and Payne all game.... I honestly was expecting him to be a Rd 3 pick though.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 01:32 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Wynn is only one that I wanted to possibly give chance at switch but even with him thinking more of a Guard and wanting to still draft Center in second round if taking him at 21.

But love his versatility and think Wynn would be great addition still.

Sure, they were evaluating him as a Tackle.  However, if the struggles with power on the edge, what do you think is going to happen when a #340 NT is right in his face?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
After a scouting report like that I'm wondering what can he do? Lol didn't give much in higher expectations department.
Reply/Quote
I'm just glad Bodine is gone, and we're even having a debate on a good center to draft.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 01:52 PM)804 fan Wrote: After a scouting report like that I'm wondering what can he do? Lol didn't give much in higher expectations department.

Of course, that was just his Weaknesses section.  His strengths had all of the typical fluff info., like most of the others.  Personally, I think it's more important to look at a players bad habits/weaknesses, than it is go get all giddy about upside.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
That draft would be the worst case scenario to me.

Hernandez at 18, Wynn at 20, we pick at 21.
Price at 37, Brown at 41, Daniels at 44, we pick at 46.
Ragnow goes at 57...

I think I'd still go Ragnow at 46, but I wouldn't be happy about it. He is a fair value in round 2, but not necessarily a great value like Price or Daniels would have been. Would definitely be a "draft for need" type of moment which, at this point, we kind of are at with Center (and would have been even had we re-signed Bodine.)
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 01:13 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Would think he was a 6th round selection after reading this

Hahahah no shyt
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 02:08 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That draft would be the worst case scenario to me.

Hernandez at 18, Wynn at 20, we pick at 21.
Price at 37, Brown at 41, Daniels at 44, we pick at 46.
Ragnow goes at 57...

I think I'd still go Ragnow at 46, but I wouldn't be happy about it. He is a fair value in round 2, but not necessarily a great value like Price or Daniels would have been. Would definitely be a "draft for need" type of moment which, at this point, we kind of are at with Center (and would have been even had we re-signed Bodine.)

Do u think it is too much of a reach at 21 to go Daniels Wynn or price there.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 02:16 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Do u think it is too much of a reach at 21 to go Daniels Wynn or price there.

It would depend on who is there, but I'd definitely take Wynn at 21.
As for Daniels and Price, it'll depend on how our new Oline coach feels about them. I could see either one of them going in the first round and, considering our need, I wouldn't be upset if they ended up being the pick because that would indicate that they have the Pollack Stamp of Approval (the same stamp that made Travis Frederick one of the best centers in the league, although he was only an assistant when Frederick was drafted.)
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 01:32 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I only saw him in 1 game and he plays LT. That game was against Alabama and he kicked the shit out of Hand and Payne all game.... I honestly was expecting him to be a Rd 3 pick though.

I saw that game too.  He really stood out to me. I know how we love our SEC OL here at the Bengals and he was a legit LT then.  A mauler who handled everything Bama threw at him with ease.  I'd love him as a Tackle here, left or right....but as a Center?  I don't know.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 02:16 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Do u think it is too much of a reach at 21 to go Daniels Wynn or price there.

I think Isaiah Wynn is a beast.  I don't think Isaiah Wynn or Hernandez is a reach at 21.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote