Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CBS says it's OK to "punch a Nazi"
(04-18-2019, 12:37 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: So I have to share a little history with some folks on here. I thought it was common knowledge. But apparently not. This may shock some of you.

The ones we as Americans call the "greatest generation" actually killed nazis. Yep. Its true. True patriots. American heroes. I know this is probably stunning. But they took it even further than punching nazis in the face. They actually killed them. They knew dangerous dumb ass bullshit that wasn't right was horseshit and did what had to be done. They didn't patty cake around like little cowards. They fought evil. Like true righteous people do.

Appreciate the history lesson, but I must ask:

I have engaged in armed combat with those that follow the beliefs of the Taliban and lost some close friends in the conflict. I have saw them mutilate a young girl and kill her family because they had the audacity to allow her to walk to school. Is it cool if I suggest you're ok to punch anyone in the face that agrees with those Taliban tenants?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-18-2019, 01:11 AM)Benton Wrote: My experiences with Nazis are confined (mostly) to history books. 

But (there had to be one but) because of geography, I'm pretty familiar with white supremacist violence/actions. Burning crosses in my neighbors yard because she babysat a black kid, Klan rallies because some kid at Wendy's refused to serve black people and got fired, etc. Nature of living in a Klan capital. But one trend I've seen more and more is the folks aren't joining the Klan and "heritage groups" like they did 20 years ago, they're moving towards more active Neo-Nazi groups.

Granted, that's my area. Maybe you have nicer Nazis there.

(04-18-2019, 01:18 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Appreciate the history lesson, but I must ask:

I have engaged in armed combat with those that follow the beliefs of the Taliban and lost some close friends in the conflict. I have saw them mutilate a young girl and kill her family because they had the audacity to allow her to walk to school. Is it cool if I suggest you're ok to punch anyone in the face that agrees with those Taliban tenants?

That's a bit of a checkmate.  

I suppose if we're comfortable with punching Nazis we're equally comfortable with punching anyone who promotes an extreme form of Islam.  Maybe we should all make a list of the extreme ideologies whose adherents we're comfortable with using physical violence against.  Somehow I think the contents of these lists may vary by person, but I'm sure that won't be a problem.
(04-18-2019, 01:18 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Appreciate the history lesson, but I must ask:

Yea. The ones who want to kill you and take over. Its ok to punch them in the face.
(04-18-2019, 01:35 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Yea. The ones who want to kill you and take over. Its ok to punch them in the face.

I don't think you realize the set up you just made.  Like I said, lists may vary by person, as long as you're cool with that.  I, for one, am not.
(04-18-2019, 01:29 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That's a bit of a checkmate.  

Mulligan? He was referring to someone else.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-18-2019, 02:08 AM)Benton Wrote: Mulligan? He was referring to someone else.

There's a reason I quoted them together, it has nothing to do with who was responding to who, but the point being made.
(04-17-2019, 09:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems like a case of this is ok because this is wronger. Either you have issue with the content of the storyline or you don't. As I have stated the OP's title is misleading and perhaps he doth protest too much. But none of that changes the message this show especially given it's title of "The Good Fight" is trying to convey and it clearly advocates violence with 0 ambiguity. 

I don't tend to take issue with fictional storylines. They have artistic license thanks to their freedom of expression. There have been plenty of fictional shows, plays, movies, books, etc., that are worse than this. I just don't understand the concern over this particular show. It seems like the far-right has played their victim card, the left-wing media took to mocking them, which caused other people to sympathize with the far-right, which was their intention all along. All over a fictional television drama.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(04-17-2019, 08:42 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Defending a Nazi, or anyone's, right to have an opinion, however vile, without being subject to violence is absolutely worth defending.  Don't dissemble here, do you think it's OK to use violence against anyone because of their words or opinions?

"Violence is never the answer" that's about as clear and concise as I can say it.  And I said it in the post you quoted.  Don't be dishonest.

"Defending a Nazi" was in relation to the idea that your post was NOT defending nazis as it should not have been.

(04-17-2019, 08:42 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: A huff?  Seriously?  A major network advocates violence against people because of their politics and you don't think that's important?

Yes...a huff.  It's a fictional show. Are to stop all forms of fictional media from saying anything "we" disagree with or that "might" incite violence?

(04-17-2019, 08:42 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: How about not punching anyone because you don't like their opinions ever?  Point blank, as you disturbingly seem to be defending violence against people because of their opinions, words and thoughts do not justify a violent response, ever.  Abhor these people, call out their sickening ideology, counter their arguments with yours but physically attacking them is not OK, at all.

You post said your bigger problem was that some people get called nazi and fascists when they are not.  

Quote:Unfortunately, the words Nazi and fascist seem to get thrown about rather blithely by some and frequently end up meaning "someone who's opinions I don't like". Even if this were not the case, the idea that words or opinions justify physical violence is in direct contrast to one of the bedrock principles of this nation. Who gets to decide what person's views are extreme enough the physical violence against the person is acceptable?

I am not for violence at all. You brought up the subject of real nazis versus just those accused of it.

To the bold:  If you wish to ignore my one, simple to read statement that "violence is never the answer" I can't continue this discussion.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-18-2019, 01:11 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I know a couple people who are super against anyone or anything promoting violence, kind of like some comments here. I couldn't believe their reaction when the president of America was threatening his political opponents with his biker gang... Boy them two flew off the hinges!! You could tell that when the leader of the free world and highest ranking official in our country acted like a shithead in a middle school locker room trying to intimidate his opponents with violence... that it was a major line that was crossed. Seeing it coming from such a prominent figure and supposed leader it really changed them. They used to complain about stuff like broadcast tv violence with a group of other nuns and alter boys. But they really had an awakening and decided to focus on stuff that actually matters.

Remember that time Joe Biden said if he could go back in time he's like to take a swing a Trump?!?!

He almost LITERALLY saying he would fist fight Trump at a debate right now!!!1!!111!!!!!   Ninja

But luckily no one here went on and on about it because we all knew it would never happen and that it was just his way of expressing his frustration with a guy who talks tough (Trump) but is really soft.   Ninja
(04-18-2019, 08:50 AM)GMDino Wrote: "Violence is never the answer" that's about as clear and concise as I can say it.  And I said it in the post you quoted.  Don't be dishonest.

"Defending a Nazi" was in relation to the idea that your post was NOT defending nazis as it should not have been.

Reread your post, it doesn't say "Violence is never the answer" full stop.  

Quote:Yes...a huff.  It's a fictional show. Are to stop all forms of fictional media from saying anything "we" disagree with or that "might" incite violence?

Absolutely not, just the ones that flat out advocate violence, as this one did.

Quote:You post said your bigger problem was that some people get called nazi and fascists when they are not.  

Nope.  My point, and the only point being made by me, is that once you decide that violence is an acceptable answer to "X" ideology, opinion or political entity then who decides what other such entities can be acceptably targeted thusly.  I'll reiterate, who gets the decide who it is, and is not acceptable to physically attack because you dislike their opinions?

Quote:I am not for violence at all. You brought up the subject of real nazis versus just those accused of it.

To the bold:  If you wish to ignore my one, simple to read statement that "violence is never the answer" I can't continue this discussion.

I'm not ignoring it, I'm point out the qualifiers you attached to it.  You can be very definitive in your response by saying, "No, it's not OK to punch a Nazi, just as it isn't OK to attack anyone because of their words or opinions."
(04-18-2019, 08:26 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't tend to take issue with fictional storylines. They have artistic license thanks to their freedom of expression. There have been plenty of fictional shows, plays, movies, books, etc., that are worse than this. I just don't understand the concern over this particular show. It seems like the far-right has played their victim card, the left-wing media took to mocking them, which caused other people to sympathize with the far-right, which was their intention all along. All over a fictional television drama.

Does anyone remember the rightwing wet dreams about the show 24 and how they would torture and kill anyone suspected of terrorism?

Or when they used to compare Reagan to Rambo?

Nothing the right likes better than tough guys willing to take it to the enemy in a fictional show!

Well, unless it's saying "it's OK to punch a nazi".  Mellow

This is all so dumb. Hilarious
Can we start throwing commies out of helicopters then? Ninja

But I 100% agree SSF. I've been called a nazi on reddit more times than I can count for my libertarian views (which in itself is hilarious). Heck, according to some people, just liking the tax cuts makes you a nazi. The term gets thrown around at the drop of a hat now. It's pretty ridiculous to be honest.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(04-18-2019, 09:12 AM)GMDino Wrote: Does anyone remember the rightwing wet dreams about the show 24 and how they would torture and kill anyone suspected of terrorism?

Or when they used to compare Reagan to Rambo?

Nothing the right likes better than tough guys willing to take it to the enemy in a fictional show!

Well, unless it's saying "it's OK to punch a nazi".  Mellow 

Yeah, I remember that time in 24 when Kiefer broke the fourth wall and went on a monologue about how it's ok to torture and kill suspected Islamic terrorists.  Seriously, I feel like you're being deliberately obtuse here.  Using your logic Schindler's List was promoting the Holocaust.

Quote:This is all so dumb. Hilarious

Yes, the inability to grasp the point at hand is a bit baffling to me.
(04-18-2019, 09:11 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Reread your post, it doesn't say "Violence is never the answer" full stop.  

Absolutely not, just the ones that flat out advocate violence, as this one did.

Nope.  My point, and the only point being made by me, is that once you decide that violence is an acceptable answer to "X" ideology, opinion or political entity then who decides what other such entities can be acceptably targeted thusly.  I'll reiterate, who gets the decide who it is, and is not acceptable to physically attack because you dislike their opinions?

I'm not ignoring it, I'm point out the qualifiers you attached to it.  You can be very definitive in your response by saying, "No, it's not OK to punch a Nazi, just as it isn't OK to attack anyone because of their words or opinions."

YOU reread my post.  It said "violence is never the answer" followed by a period.  Then two empty lines then a SECOND sentence making a different point unrelated to that.

YOU attached the qualifiers in your first paragraph.

As another poster recently said: 

(04-15-2019, 12:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  stop lying in an attempt to attack people in this forum. 
(04-18-2019, 09:17 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yeah, I remember that time in 24 when Kiefer broke the fourth wall and went on a monologue about how it's ok to torture and kill suspected Islamic terrorists.  Seriously, I feel like you're being deliberately obtuse here.  Using your logic Schindler's List was promoting the Holocaust.

Yes, the inability to grasp the point at hand is a bit baffling to me.

Perhaps that's on you then.  ThumbsUp
(04-18-2019, 09:19 AM)GMDino Wrote: YOU reread my post.  It said "violence is never the answer" followed by a period.  Then two empty lines then a SECOND sentence making a different point unrelated to that.

YOU attached the qualifiers in your first paragraph.

As another poster recently said: 

I'm not lying, I'm pointing out what you wrote.  You didn't say violence is never the answer and then leave it at that.  It's literally there, I'm not misrepresenting your statements.  Still haven't noticed you saying "No, it's not OK to punch a Nazi".  
(04-18-2019, 09:21 AM)GMDino Wrote: Perhaps that's on you then.  ThumbsUp

I don't know dude, you appear to be the only one having this problem.  I do find it interesting that you constantly bemoan personal attacks and yet can't stop making every thread a personal beef between you and "X".  Perhaps some deep reflection is in order?
(04-18-2019, 09:24 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't know dude, you appear to be the only one having this problem.

Yep.  I'm the only one is this thread that thinks a fictional drama saying something isn't worth getting upset about because it's not real. Mellow

(04-18-2019, 09:24 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I do find it interesting that you constantly bemoan personal attacks and yet can't stop making every thread a personal beef between you and "X".  Perhaps some deep reflection is in order?

Guess it's just me getting all personal.   Smirk
(04-18-2019, 09:33 AM)GMDino Wrote: Yep.  I'm the only one is this thread that thinks a fictional drama saying something isn't worth getting upset about because it's not real.  Mellow

Not what you said or I said.

Quote:Guess it's just me getting all personal.   Smirk

Yes, as it's getting rather childish I'll cease this rather pointless back and forth and continue responding to people actually debating the topic at hand.  
Godwin's Law has really made labeling people as Nazis a futile affair. We're all so desensitized to the term that it holds little meaning.