Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CBS says it's OK to "punch a Nazi"
(04-24-2019, 04:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Keep banging that drum, Fred, you may eventually get someone to march behind you.  Never give up!

nazi!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-24-2019, 03:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote:   He even uses the language of right wing news sources at the same time that he claims not to listen to biased news sources.

(04-24-2019, 04:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I've never made that claim at all, ever.  I read far right sources like Breitbart and I read far left sources like HuffPo and The Guardian.  I also read more balanced sites like BBC news, PBS Newshour the NYT and the Wall Street Journal.  I enjoy getting the perspective of all the different sources, especially when they cover the same story.  Odd that you follow me so closely and yet haven't seen me mention this, as I have done so repeatedly.

Yes you have.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Trump-Documentary-on-Netflix?highlight=netflix

Post #6

(12-28-2018, 12:27 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: No conspiracy, simply pointing out that the platform has a clear partisan bias.

I haven't seen this and won't watch it as I don't view content that I know has an deliberate, partisan, agenda.

The funniest part of this is that you were talking about NETFLIX!

You claimed they had a clear partisan bias in favor of Obama despite the fact that they provide Dinesh D'Souza's smear piece "Obama's America"
(04-24-2019, 04:46 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: nazi!

I was expecting that from Fred.

(04-24-2019, 05:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes you have.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Trump-Documentary-on-Netflix?highlight=netflix

Post #6

The funniest part of this is that you were talking about NETFLIX!

You claimed they had a clear partisan bias in favor of Obama despite the fact that they provide Dinesh D'Souza's smear piece "Obama's America"

TFW you think you have a gotcha moment but you don't and you don't realize it.  I actually feel a little bad for you right now.
(04-24-2019, 06:04 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: TFW you think you have a gotcha moment but you don't and you don't realize it.  I actually feel a little bad for you right now.

I just posted quotes where you completely contradict yourself and you don't get it.  You are the one I feel bad for.

**waits for hair-splitting explanation of why "getting the perspective of all different sources" is exactly the same as "not viewing content with deliberate partisan agenda" based on semantics and total desperation**
(04-24-2019, 03:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bernie Sanders agrees with Trump on steel tariffs.  That does not mean Sanders is not a liberal?

Go look at all of SSF's threads.  They are all from the right wing perspective.  He even uses the language of right wing news sources at the same time that he claims not to listen to biased news sources.

He is not some middle-of-the-road cetrist.

He has conservative viewpoint on . . . what? Three topics?  Let's see? The 2nd Amendment.  Immigration.  His reaction to the media's reaction to Trump.

What else?

SSF is not a conservative. But, he could be in 2020 if liberals keep telling him (and other like him) he isn't a liberal or even a centrist. Think about that for awhile.
(04-24-2019, 06:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I just posted quotes where you completely contradict yourself and you don't get it.  You are the one I feel bad for.

**waits for hair-splitting explanation of why "getting the perspective of all different sources" is exactly the same as "not viewing content with deliberate partisan agenda" based on semantics and total desperation**

I don't know why I'm bothering explaining this to you as you tend to twist people's responses but here goes.

I enjoy various sites for news.  I have frequently pointed out that I read a wide spectrum of news sources to get as wide an impression of what is going on, and how it is perceived, as possible.  What I do not do is watch partisan programing.  I'll illustrate the difference;

Left leaning news site:  HuffPo= will read                     Left leaning programming: Michael Moore documentary= will not watch

Right leaning news site: Breitbart= will read                 Right leaning programming: Dinesh D'Souza documentary= will not watch

I could go one, but I trust the point has been made to anyone actually attempting to understand it.  My thanks for your attention in this matter.
(04-24-2019, 07:02 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: He has conservative viewpoint on . . . what? Three topics?  Let's see? The 2nd Amendment.  Immigration.  His reaction to the media's reaction to Trump.

What else?

Eh, I don't think my opinion on immigration, e.g. that the actual law on the subject should be followed, is all that conservative.  I will say that I'd fall on the conservative side of the spectrum on the criminal justice system and national defense.  When it comes to social causes I'm pretty much liberal across the board.

Also I don't think my reaction to the hysteria about Trump is a liberal or conservative stance, but that of a sane person.  I do enjoy that Fred has turned this thread into a referendum on my place on the political spectrum.  Why it's so important to him to slap his chosen label on me is a bit baffling.
(04-24-2019, 07:02 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: He has conservative viewpoint on . . . what? Three topics?  Let's see? The 2nd Amendment.  Immigration.  His reaction to the media's reaction to Trump.

What else?

Well there is this.

(12-11-2018, 01:35 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Just wondering, as I recall Cruz being harassed by far left activists that state they believe survivors, how Keith Ellison, accused domestic abuser, was elected the AG of Minnesota.  Is it OK to beat women if you're a Democrat?  Is it OK to not believe survivors if their attacker was a Democrat (I'm looking at you Bill Clinton). 

In that thread he went on and on about how Ellison's alleged victim had documented her "injuries" from his domestic abuse when in fact she had anemia and the only people who ever referred to her anemia as "domestic abuse injuries" were right wing biased news sources.

Then there is this defense of Trump

(11-02-2018, 01:19 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: There's been a lot of uproar over Trump describing himself as a nationalist and what that means.  The Mirriam Webster definition of the term is as follows;

Definition of nationalism
1 : loyalty and devotion to a nation
especially : a sense of national consciousness (see CONSCIOUSNESS sense 1c) exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups.

Now, those who took the eight values test I posted in a previous thread know that on that spectrum I scored far to the nationalist side of the value chart.  Given that I realize I am biased in that direction. 

In that thread he refused to answer the obvious question from the definition he posted about what exactly was our "culture" in the United States.  Everyone else in the thread knew that white nationalists define our culture as "white Christian" and they love Trump for promoting their cause, but SSF just dug in his heals and tried to spin the conversation off in a different direction to defend Trump.

Then there was this thread

(06-07-2018, 05:28 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You guys know I don't make many threads.  I stumbled across the linked article in a Guardian discussion thread and it is one of the best pieces on race relations in the US I have read in some time.  I highly encourage everyone to read it and give their thoughts. 

https://quillette.com/2018/06/05/high-price-stale-grievances/

This article he linked claimed that blacks have no grievances today because their only exposure to racism was "a history that we have only experienced through textbooks and folklore.  .  ."  

Then there is this comment that I can not use the quote function because the thread is locked http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Fakenews-from-HuffPo

"The point of this thread is to point out that left leaning sites engage in the very same behavior and indulge in "fakenews" just as much as right leaning sites.  One is castigated by the media as a whole and the other is completely ignored."

A person has to dwell deep in the right wing echo chamber to say that the media "ignores" biased reporting from the left when that is all the President and Fox News talk about.  

Same with this quote  http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Debating-the-memes?pid=400648&highlight=gender#pid400648

"The GOP, correctly, gets called out for pandering to white voters.  Why, by the same token, does the Democratic party not receive the same criticisms for pandering to "minority" voters?  "

Again, you have ot have your head buried deep in the right wing media to believe that the Democrats never get accused o pandering to minorities.

Here is another from a locked threadhttp://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-LOL-where-PC-is-taking-us?highlight=israel

"The left has gone form admirable causes, like equal rights for minorities, women and homosexuals, to batshit insane crusades like; "no gender", no dissenting opinions and this kind of crap.  Every movement eventually becomes self destructive, it's just the left's turn. "

And here is one where he appears to admit that he would be on the side of the conservatives

(06-26-2018, 03:19 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: As to a revolution, we aren't anywhere near one yet, but I agree we are heading in that direction and are closer than we've been at anytime since 1866.  If I'm a left leaning person I certainly don't want one as the military, law enforcement and private gun owners swing heavily right.  

He sides with the conservatives on their support for Israel.

He attacks Jim Acosta but loves Tucker Carlson.

He attacks Dem congresswomen Ilhan Omar and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez but no Republicans that I know of.

He sides with the conservatives on the Electoral College.

He sides with the conservatives on their hatred of anything to do with Hollywood.

He sides with the conservatives on the issue of "white privilege" not existing.

Do you have any quotes where he calls Republican "bat shit insane".  Do you have any quotes where he attacks a Republican elected official or Fox News?

Pretty much every single thread he started was pro-conservative.  Pretty much every post he makes is pro conservative.  The big question I have is why do you need to defend him from being labeled a conservative.  Why is he ashamed to admit that he is?

I am a progressive liberal and I am not ashamed to admit it.  I don't agree with 100% of their positions but I am not going to try and act like that makes me "neutral".  Just because SSF doesn't hate homosexuals does not make him "neutral".
(04-24-2019, 09:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Well there is this.

In that thread he went on and on about how Ellison's alleged victim had documented her "injuries" from his domestic abuse when in fact she had anemia and the only people who ever referred to her anemia as "domestic abuse injuries" were right wing biased news sources.

In that thread he refused to answer the obvious question from the definition he posted about what exactly was our "culture" in the United States.  Everyone else in the thread knew that white nationalists define our culture as "white Christian" and they love Trump for promoting their cause, but SSF just dug in his heals and tried to spin the conversation off in a different direction to defend Trump.

This article he linked claimed that blacks have no grievances today because their only exposure to racism was "a history that we have only experienced through textbooks and folklore.  .  ."  

Then there is this comment that I can not use the quote function because the thread is locked http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Fakenews-from-HuffPo

"The point of this thread is to point out that left leaning sites engage in the very same behavior and indulge in "fakenews" just as much as right leaning sites.  One is castigated by the media as a whole and the other is completely ignored."

A person has to dwell deep in the right wing echo chamber to say that the media "ignores" biased reporting from the left when that is all the President and Fox News talk about.  

Same with this quote  http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Debating-the-memes?pid=400648&highlight=gender#pid400648

"The GOP, correctly, gets called out for pandering to white voters.  Why, by the same token, does the Democratic party not receive the same criticisms for pandering to "minority" voters?  "

Again, you have ot have your head buried deep in the right wing media to believe that the Democrats never get accused o pandering to minorities.

Here is another from a locked threadhttp://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-LOL-where-PC-is-taking-us?highlight=israel

"The left has gone form admirable causes, like equal rights for minorities, women and homosexuals, to batshit insane crusades like; "no gender", no dissenting opinions and this kind of crap.  Every movement eventually becomes self destructive, it's just the left's turn. "

And here is one where he appears to admit that he would be on the side of the conservatives

He attacks Dem congresswomen Ilhan Omar and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez but no Republicans that I know of.

He sides with the conservatives on their hatred of anything to do with Hollywood.

Do you have any quotes where he calls Republican "bat shit insane".  Do you have any quotes where he attacks a Republican elected official or Fox News?

Pretty much every single thread he started was pro-conservative.  Pretty much every post he makes is pro conservative.  The big question I have is why do you need to defend him from being labeled a conservative.  Why is he ashamed to admit that he is?

I am a progressive liberal and I am not ashamed to admit it.  I don't agree with 100% of their positions but I am not going to try and act like that makes me "neutral".  Just because SSF doesn't hate homosexuals does not make him "neutral".

I really need you to quote me a price because I feel guilty that I've been living in your head rent free.
(04-24-2019, 09:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote:   The big question I have is why do you need to defend him from being labeled a conservative

I think the bigger question on everyone's mind is why do you need to try so hard to label him as a conservative? 

Breech and I agree on nothing, but if he can see SSF as central then why do you have to dispute it? Dude's just giving his opinion. IMO SSF turned more to the Right after he saw the Left loose their minds when Trump won. We used to never agree now we agree quite often. But this thread shouldn't be about the poster.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(04-24-2019, 10:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think the bigger question on everyone's mind is why do you need to try so hard to label him as a conservative? 

Breech and I agree on nothing, but if he can see SSF as central then why do you have to dispute it? Dude's just giving his opinion. IMO SSF turned more to the Right after he saw the Left loose their minds when Trump won. We used to never agree now we agree quite often. But this thread shouldn't be about the poster.  

You've hit on a salient point.  I can't be part of collective hysteria, regardless of the origin.  Also, I don't think I turned more to the right, it's just that the left veered far away from the center.  By default this pushed me further to the right while not actually moving at all.  Also, we agree on the same things we always agreed on, it's just that they weren't the topic of the "day".  While same sex marriage and gay civil rights were the hot issue we differed.  Now the hot issues are the ones we always agreed on.  

I think the key message is that extremism is going to turn off a lot of centrists.  As Jim pointed out, I have a lot of friends that would have been considered "California liberals" not long ago that have been completely turned off by what the modern left has become.  This, coupled with constant labeling as a conservative because they don't perfectly adhere to the current "progressive" dogma has actually made them more inclined to vote conservative.  There is a saying; the way you perceive people is the way you treat them, the way you treat them is the way they become.  
(04-17-2019, 06:13 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I have to say, this whole clip sickens me.  Saying you can't punch a Nazi because of their opinions is not an endorsement, tacit or otherwise, of their beliefs.  For a major network to be advocating violence against people for their political view, regardless of how abhorrent, is a very bad sign.  I would hope that we all here recognize just how dangerous a concept is being advocated here and just how vile CBS's little public service announcement is.

I have resolved to watch this episode of The Good Fight if I can find it on tv tonight.

Before watching it, I want to say that I view CBS as a platform and a business seeking profit. They are not necessarily endorsing the programs they sell to advertisers and audiences as their point of view or politics.

I also want to say there are some basic free speech issues involved both in presenting a character who advocates punching a Nazi and a network which airs the program.  In the U.S., media "platforms" frequently remove content their viewers object to, regardless of free speech rights.

Even limiting ourselves to the program itself, it is not clear from the fact that a show includes a character who says "It's time to punch a Nazi," that that is the viewpoint of the writers, directors, producers, etc.   What else is going on around the character? Are we shown negative consequences for that statement?  Was it an attempt to recreate and represent the actual complexity of current social conflicts? 

If I can watch it, then I want to look more at the conservative reaction to it.  Can't really assess that until I see the show.  
(04-24-2019, 10:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think the bigger question on everyone's mind is why do you need to try so hard to label him as a conservative? 

I just prefer honesty

Too many people want to pour out right wing rhetoric but then try to claim they have no bias.  They think that gives their opinion some air of authority.
(04-24-2019, 10:22 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: There is a saying; the way you perceive people is the way you treat them, the way you treat them is the way they become.  

So now you will not even take responsibility for your own beliefs?  Instead you claim that your beliefs are determined by other people?

Sorry, but when every single thread you start and every single post you make is from the right wing perspective I can't help but "perceive" you as conservative.

There is a saying  "If you act like a conservative and talk like a conservative then you are probably a conservative"

I posted a long list of issues where you side with conservatives.  Do you disagree with any of those?

I pointed out that you don't start any threads or make any posts from a liberal perspective.  Do you deny that?

So why not just admit that you are a conservative.  They will accept you even if you don't hate the gays.  
(04-24-2019, 10:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So now you will not even take responsibility for your own beliefs?  Instead you claim that your beliefs are determined by other people?

Way to pick one sentence and twist its intent.  Classic Fred.

Quote:Sorry, but when every single thread you start and every single post you make is from the right wing perspective I can't help but "perceive" you as conservative.

In your opinion, which, thus far, is rather in the minority.  In any event, you're not the type of person whose perception concerns me.

Quote:There is a saying  "If you act like a conservative and talk like a conservative then you are probably a conservative"

There is a saying, perception is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote:I posted a long list of issues where you side with conservatives.  Do you disagree with any of those?

Several, but I don't really care to address them as it won't matter to you at all if I do.

Quote:I pointed out that you don't start any threads or make any posts from a liberal perspective.  Do you deny that?

I've started a grand total of five threads on the new board.  I only start a thread if I find a topic interesting that hasn't yet been started yet.  Given the left leanings of this sub-forum maybe this accounts for your flawed perception?

Quote:So why not just admit that you are a conservative.  They will accept you even if you don't hate the gays.  

Oh Fred, you don't even get why this isn't going well for you.  Also, please mods, leave this thread open.  I'm not taking anything personally and I genuinely think an interesting discussion is being had.
(04-24-2019, 09:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Well there is this.

Those seem like disagreements rather political issues that would seperate individuals along political ideologies such as abortion, for example.

Take your first example. What makes that a liberal vs. conservative issue?
(04-24-2019, 11:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Take your first example. What makes that a liberal vs. conservative issue?

Well I have never heard a single Democrat argue that it is okay to beat a woman if you are a Democrat.

Seems kind of like something that a Conservative would be more likely to say.
(04-24-2019, 07:34 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Also I don't think my reaction to the hysteria about Trump is a liberal or conservative stance, but that of a sane person.

I always wonder why it's about the "hysteria about Trump" and not about "Trump" though.
Because I don't think my reaction to Trump is a liberal or conservative stance, but that of a sane person too.

Disclaimer, by that I do not question your sanity at all. That term's subjective anyway.
(04-24-2019, 11:00 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I've started a grand total of five threads on the new board.

Then why does it currently list 18 different ones?
(04-24-2019, 11:00 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Oh Fred, you don't even get why this isn't going well for you. 

It is going fine for me.

So far I have listed about a dozen specific instances of you taking hard conservative positions and no one else has posted a single example of you starting a thread or making a post from a liberal perspective.  You constantly attack liberals and defend conservatives.  No one has shown me anything different.

I am glad you don't hate gays, but as I said before almost no one is 100% in agreement with every single issue.