Poll: XFL- CFL merger good or bad
Good
Bad
Indifferent
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CFL- XFL merger
So it was reported last week that the XFL and CFL are thinking about merging. I'm wondering what y'all think about this.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Honestly, this is the first I've learned about it. I do think that it is an interesting idea. I thought that the XFL had some interesting rule differences from NFL, and was looking forward to seeing more games, before Covid shut it all down.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Don't touch our game; it is NOT the same as American Football.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 05:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Honestly, this is the first I've learned about it.  I do think that it is an interesting idea.  I thought that the XFL had some interesting rule differences from NFL, and was looking forward to seeing more games, before Covid shut it all down.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5953837
This should explain what's happening with the merger talks.
J24

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 03:19 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Don't touch our game; it is NOT the same as American Football.

American football isnt as good as it used to be
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 09:41 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: American football isnt as good as it used to be

lol but the small differences an nuances make the game quite-different to the NFL.

If we add elements of the NFL/XFL, it'll take away from what makes the CFL unique.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 10:51 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: lol but the small differences an nuances make the game quite-different to the NFL.

If we add elements of the NFL/XFL, it'll take away from what makes the CFL unique.

oh sorry you were saying dont touch the CFL lol...  I like the CFL and the XFL so im with you.
Reply/Quote
As I don't watch either, I'm pretty indifferent about it.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 03:19 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Don't touch our game; it is NOT the same as American Football.

I get why you want the  CFL to stay the same. However the league has been struggling to stay relevant for the past decade. They were losing money pre pandemic as well as fans( they have lost 5,000 tickets per a team since 2012). 

Maybe changing to the American game wouldn't be that bad for the CFL. Especially if they can become an official minor league to the NFL. Which I think is the ultimate goal of both the CFL and XFL.
J24

Reply/Quote
The AFL in the 1960's became a very good brand of Football. There were 14 NFL Teams in 1965 on CBS TV. So it stands to reason the new AFL on NBC TV grew to 10 teams including Bengals. They had teams in New York Jets, Boston Patriots, Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills, Houston Oilers, Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, Denver Broncos, Cincinnati Bengals. NBC had great coverage and announcers such as Curt Gowdy. They came on NBC on Sundays opposite the NFL games on CBS, and had great ratings. They landed big name college players such as Joe Namath and OJ Simpson. They had owners with a lot of money. Hank Stram and Paul Brown and others were Great Coaches. In Super Bowls, the NFL won the first 2. The AFL won the last 2 of the 4 before the merger.

I have seen other Football Leagues come and go. Mostly because the NFL has 32 teams now and CBS, FOX, NBC, ESPN, NFL NETWORK. In short, a Monopoly. Some tried to play in Spring or Summer, and that didn't work. In the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, 2000's, I have seen new football leagues of such teams as Chicago Fire and Tampa Bandits come and go quickly.

Now the Canadian Football has always been there. I even watched them when they had Warren Moon before he came to NFL. Not 4 Downs, only 3 Downs. So a lot of punting on 3rd Down.

I think there are areas in USA with no NFL that could use teams. St Louis, San Diego, Oakland, San Antonio, and I think a new USA League should tap the markets the NFL has missed. I might look to Utah, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma and such find 4 more teams and start with a small 8 team League for better player Depth at the start. Getting on TV is another problem. I really think these areas want their own Sunday Fall Football teams. Stay out of New York and LA of NFL. Avoid NFL Cities and areas at the start, take the Fly Over Cities the NFL left behind.

I think The Canadian Football should do there own thing for now, because only the AFL succeeded in taking on the NFL 60 years ago.

As a Bengals Fan, I like NFL. However if Bengals ever moved from Cincinnati, I would welcome a new league of St Louis, San Diego, Oakland, San Antonio, Cincinnati and a few more cities, in The Fall on Sunday and I would stop watching NFL.

Maybe NBC or ABC would welcome Sunday coverage of more cities, more games of a new league. The new league would need a major Network as AFL had in NBC. And owners like Lemar Hunt of Chiefs of Deep Pockets of money to spend. Give the areas the NFL has left behind Fall Sunday Football on a Major Network. That is only way it would work. Do NOT put more teams in New York and LA....Hit the open man, I mean the open markets....Paul Brown hit a market of no NFL football in Cincinnati, bringing a team to south of Columbus, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia area back in 1968...A New League should HIT the markets the NFL has left behind, and make THOSE TV areas their HOME BASE to start playing on Sunday, in The Fall on NBC or ABC, BUY A NETWORK, GET A MAJOR NETWORK. Stay out of NFL cities. Go to where there is a Supply and Demand NEED......However, Brooklyn is a thought, or Bronx or Queens for a NY TV Team and Chicago might have use of a 2nd team, but for most part, HIT THE OPEN MAN. Go where The NFL fails to go. Give More America some Football.

There are good players riding the bench in NFL who just need a chance to start. At Cleveland Browns, Paul Brown told Len Dawson there was no place for him and to go find other career besides football. Len Dawson went to AFL and is in NFL Hall Of Fame. I see many players not being given a chance in NFL, who could develop and STAR in a New League. A New League would have to do as AFL, Have their own Draft, and steal college players away from NFL teams who drafted them, as with Joe Namath. Player can go to who offers the most money or whatever, the player has a choice.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2021, 02:23 PM)J24 Wrote: I get why you want the  CFL to stay the same. However the league has been struggling to stay relevant for the past decade. They were losing money pre pandemic as well as fans( they have lost 5,000 tickets per a team since 2012). 

Maybe changing to the American game wouldn't be that bad for the CFL. Especially if they can become an official minor league to the NFL. Which I think is the ultimate goal of both the CFL and XFL.

The CFL is struggling, but american football leagues that aren't the NFL have a very short shelf life.  Make the cfl more like the XFL and the AAF?  Seems unwise.  
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 09:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The CFL is struggling, but american football leagues that aren't the NFL have a very short shelf life.  Make the cfl more like the XFL and the AAF?  Seems unwise.  

XFL this time around just had the really bad timing.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 10:35 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: XFL this time around just had the really bad timing.

Possibly, but the CFL is a different game and while that may not immediately appeal to americans, making into an AAF or XFL brand just goes back to that "This is like watching week 4 of the pre-season all season" feeling that dooms other football leagues in the states.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 09:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The CFL is struggling, but american football leagues that aren't the NFL have a very short shelf life.  Make the cfl more like the XFL and the AAF?  Seems unwise.  

The only chance the CFL and the XFL have at making it long term at this point is with the NFL using them as a developmental league. Similar to the G league with the NBA!

Maybe the CFL can keep the same rules but I highly doubt the NFL would want to use a league that plays by different rules then them to develop their players/coaches/ refs.
J24

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 02:08 PM)J24 Wrote: The only chance the CFL and the XFL have at making it long term at this point is with the NFL using them as a developmental league. Similar to the G league with the NBA!

Maybe the CFL can keep the same rules but I highly doubt the NFL would want to use a league that plays by different rules then them to develop their players/coaches/ refs.

Once they change their game to synch up with the NFL they lose what point of differentiation they have.  Minor league football isn't a lasting model in the NFL, they'd have a better chance if they emulate the CFL with American teams model they had in the 90s.  Making the CFL into the AAF isn't going to work, or at least I don't see why it would.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 02:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Once they change their game to synch up with the NFL they lose what point of differentiation they have.  Minor league football isn't a lasting model in the NFL, they'd have a better chance if they emulate the CFL with American teams model they had in the 90s.  Making the CFL into the AAF isn't going to work, or at least I don't see why it would.
The NFL needs a developmental league. It's not a matter of if but when will they commit to having one. Having a brand like the CFL combined with the Celebrity of the Rock would be one hell of a pitch to make the CFL that league.

Also if we're talking about football that doesn't work then the CFL in USA was a total shitfest.

Let's be real the chances that either the XFL or CFL existing for the next decade is quite small. Whatever happens either Canadian or American fans of the game will be upset.
J24

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 03:12 PM)J24 Wrote: The NFL needs a developmental league. It's not a matter of if but when will they commit to having one. Having a brand like the CFL combined with the Celebrity of the Rock would be one hell of a pitch to make the CFL that league.

Also if we're talking about football that doesn't work then the CFL in USA was a total shitfest.

Let's be real the chances that either the XFL or CFL existing for the next decade is quite small. Whatever happens either Canadian or American fans of the game will be upset.

I know the CFL is reeling now, but it's been around for decades, to make it more like an American league that has lasted a single season at best just doesn't seem wise.  Also, the NFL doesn't need a developmental league, does it?  People are going to see it as 18 games of pre-season football if that is the case.

I think the CFL has a better chance of getting some sort of bail out and staying in Canada than it does of becoming the first non-NFL league Americans watch in almost 40 years. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 03:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I know the CFL is reeling now, but it's been around for decades, to make it more like an American league that has lasted a single season at best just doesn't seem wise.  Also, the NFL doesn't need a developmental league, does it?  People are going to see it as 18 games of pre-season football if that is the case.

I think the CFL has a better chance of getting some sort of bail out and staying in Canada than it does of becoming the first non-NFL league Americans watch in almost 40 years. 

Yes the NFL needs a developmental league  to train coaches, refs, and players. Their the only league that doesn't have one. NFL Europe was a huge resource for developing talent.
J24

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 04:59 PM)J24 Wrote: Yes the NFL needs a developmental league  to train coaches, refs, and players. Their the only league that doesn't have one. NFL Europe was a huge resource for developing talent.

I'm skeptical such a league can exist.  There is no market for non NFL non college football in the NFL. If there were the XFL wouldn't need to nor want to merge with 9 teams in another country. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 05:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm skeptical such a league can exist.  There is no market for non NFL non college football in the NFL. If there were the XFL wouldn't need to nor want to merge with 9 teams in another country. 

If the CFL can exist on its own then they wouldn't be listening to the XFL. Neither league is at a position of strength right now. 
Secondly as long as the league doesn't become a complete money pit I can see the NFL wanting to keep it around.( The combination of the XFL- CFL)
J24

Reply/Quote