Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
CINCINNATI IS A LUCKY TOWN
As I watch St. Louis lose their football team with a owner that is just looking for more $$$ and has been determined to get out of Missouri  (can you believe this guy has ignored the team since he pretty much bought it and is in the Missouri sports hall of fame)...  we should feel good about having not only a professional football team and  but a professional baseball team.  

We are the smallest city to have a NFL and a MLB team and we have owners that could or might have been able to take our teams to other cities for even better deals than they got here.  So yes we might not always agree with the owners or be happy with our team end results but at least we can debate about OUR OWN TEAMS.. and not debate about SOME OTHER CITIES TEAM.  

So kudos to the Brown's and Castellini's and elected officials and the fans/tax payers who have been able to keep two professional teams in such a small city market.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nice sentiment here! It is something that 'we' sometimes overlook. I am definitely grateful for what we have in Cincinnati. Looking forward to that first Lombardi Trophy, and restoring our lost respect in MLB.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
You do remember that Mike Brown threatened to leave, correct? That he received a stadium deal that is regularly held up as one of, if not the, worst ever one sided deals? Mike Brown is a business man and he did what was best for his business.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 02:56 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: You do remember that Mike Brown threatened to leave, correct?  That he received a stadium deal that is regularly held up as one of, if not the, worst ever one sided deals?  Mike Brown is a business man and he did what was best for his business.

I was just about to write this. How quickly fans forget how Mike strong armed the politicians, the city, the county and the fans. He didn't just 'threaten' to move to Baltimore, he actually met with their officials on a couple different occasions prior to the PBS deal getting agreed on. It's not like he stayed out of loyalty to the fans, or the city. He stayed because he got one of the most lopsided stadium deals in history. If that hadn't of happened, we'd probably be talking about the Baltimore Bengals. Sick

To the OP's point, it is great that we still have our football team, but it's Hamilton county and the taxpayers that deserve the credit. They deserve a huge thank you!
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 03:52 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I was just about to write this. How quickly fans forget how Mike strong armed the politicians, the city, the county and the fans. He didn't just 'threaten' to move to Baltimore, he actually met with their officials on a couple different occasions prior to the PBS deal getting agreed on. It's not like he stayed out of loyalty to the fans, or the city. He stayed because he got one of the most lopsided stadium deals in history. If that hadn't of happened, we'd probably be talking about the Baltimore Bengals. Sick

To the OP's point, it is great that we still have our football team, but it's Hamilton county and the taxpayers that deserve the credit. They deserve a huge thank you!

Sure he made a good deal at same time, he could have just left for better pastures..... St Louis had a good deal on the table and their owner could care less.. has not really did anything for the last few years.. he was determined to leave like many others also.

Did you ever think the Browns were not benefiting like other teams when we played at Riverfront Stadium ?  

I still will praise the Browns just as i praised elected officials and taxpayers like me.

Lets feel good about our city and the ability to keep two teams in this small city.
Reply/Quote
If Bengals did leave would Hamilton County bring back another team? I truly don't know if they would...
Reply/Quote
The Reds didn't threaten to move....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 04:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: The Reds didn't threaten to move....

When Linder was stepping down.. there was some interest in outside in buying the Reds and possible move.. one of the statements when Castellini bought the team, was the Reds will be staying in Cincinnati
Reply/Quote
I've lurked on Charger and Rams boards over the last day. It's pretty crushing.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 04:46 PM)gobobro Wrote: I've lurked on Charger and Rams boards over the last day. It's pretty crushing.

I have too.. also I had family in Houston when they left and friends.. yes friends in Cleveland when they left.. OMG is all I am going to say.. this City is a small market and average metro market to have two major professional teams.. lets hope we can keep them 
Reply/Quote
OP is correct, blah, blah, blah, on the stadium deal he could have went somewhere like LA and gotten a bigger stadium, more fans, and made more money. Just like today's kids, we don't appreciate what we have, but I can tell you if we ever lose a franchise, it won't be coming back; not unlike the Cincinnati Royals that a few of us still remember. As soon as the tickets come out for next year's game with the Steelers, every fan we have should go buy every ticket and keep the yellow and black out of our stadium. Gotta support this franchise and the Reds as well, though that is gonna be hard this year. Sad
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 05:41 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: OP is correct, blah, blah, blah, on the stadium deal he could have went somewhere like LA and gotten a bigger stadium, more fans, and made more money. Just like today's kids, we don't appreciate what we have, but I can tell you if we ever lose a franchise, it won't be coming back; not unlike the Cincinnati Royals that a few of us still remember. As soon as the tickets come out for next year's game with the Steelers, every fan we have should go buy every ticket and keep the yellow and black out of our stadium. Gotta support this franchise and the Reds as well, though that is gonna be hard this year.  Sad

WhoDey2

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Mike voted against the Rams move. I am proud of him if he voted that way because he understands that a strong midwest sports city like St Louis deserves the Rams.

I heard Tebow talking about being on a official visit to USC and Reggie Bush flipped over a defender into the end zone and the crowd gave a mild golf clap. Hope this move backfires on the Rams. LA, Miami these are event towns not sports towns. If the team has a drought you'll see empty seats everywhere. But maybe the NFL won't let them stink too bad for too long. They seem to have their ways of meddling
Reply/Quote
The reds have the longest postseason series winning drought in baseball

The bengals have the longest postseason winning drought in football

Lucky! The homer trolls are so desperate. Now we should be thankful for the teams not moving

Lol
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 08:48 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Mike voted against the Rams move.  I am proud of him if he voted that way because he understands that a strong midwest sports city like St Louis deserves the Rams.  

I heard Tebow talking about being on a official visit to USC and Reggie Bush flipped over a defender into the end zone and the crowd gave a mild golf clap.  Hope this move backfires on the Rams.  LA, Miami these are event towns not sports towns.  If the team has a drought you'll see empty seats everywhere.  But maybe the NFL won't let them stink too bad for too long.  They seem to have their ways of meddling

Greater Los Angeles has over 18 million residents, you idiot.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 03:52 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I was just about to write this. How quickly fans forget how Mike strong armed the politicians, the city, the county and the fans. He didn't just 'threaten' to move to Baltimore, he actually met with their officials on a couple different occasions prior to the PBS deal getting agreed on. It's not like he stayed out of loyalty to the fans, or the city. He stayed because he got one of the most lopsided stadium deals in history. If that hadn't of happened, we'd probably be talking about the Baltimore Bengals. Sick

This 1000x's!
Reply/Quote
Lucky is the wrong word. Kind of.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 10:28 PM)Blake2Pickens Wrote: Greater Los Angeles has over 18 million residents, you idiot.

...And yet NFL teams have already failed twice in LA.

What I have never understood is why no NFL team has ever talked about moving to Chicago. The city already has two MLB teams successfully, and it's big enough to support a second NFL team. The greater Chicago area has like 10 million people, and they are actually sports fans unlike LA.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 10:46 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Lucky is the wrong word. Kind of.

Unless you think have this kind of owner for your home town team is lucky:

"Davis voting against the Inglewood proposal makes sense; he supported his joint proposal with Chargers' owner Dean Spanos for a stadium in Carson. But why on earth would Brown? Having a team (or two teams) in LA will increase revenue for the league as a whole, and increased revenue is split roughly evenly among the 32 teams. What was Brown's rationale?

Let's hear it from Florio:
Brown has a well-documented reputation for refusing to go along with anything that helps the league become bigger and better. His primary concern in those situations is the impact of the new revenue on the salary cap.
So Brown prefers the status quo, especially when the status quo doesn’t require him to spend more money on players.
If this is true, and Brown sincerely voted against moving the Rams to LA because it would ultimately mean he has to pay his players more, Cincinnati's playoff drought (they haven't won a playoff game since 1991!) isn't ending any time soon."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bengals-owner-may-rejected-rams-175306964.html
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 11:26 PM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: Unless you think have this kind of owner for your home town team is lucky:

"Davis voting against the Inglewood proposal makes sense; he supported his joint proposal with Chargers' owner Dean Spanos for a stadium in Carson. But why on earth would Brown? Having a team (or two teams) in LA will increase revenue for the league as a whole, and increased revenue is split roughly evenly among the 32 teams. What was Brown's rationale?

Let's hear it from Florio:
Brown has a well-documented reputation for refusing to go along with anything that helps the league become bigger and better. His primary concern in those situations is the impact of the new revenue on the salary cap.
So Brown prefers the status quo, especially when the status quo doesn’t require him to spend more money on players.
If this is true, and Brown sincerely voted against moving the Rams to LA because it would ultimately mean he has to pay his players more, Cincinnati's playoff drought (they haven't won a playoff game since 1991!) isn't ending any time soon."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bengals-owner-may-rejected-rams-175306964.html

You had me going until "Lets hear it from Florio:"... that guy's a tool, Steelers homer, and also a DB who wants to make the NFL into a lawyer driven league. What he has to say is always garbage. True story.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote