Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CJ Uzomah only targeted 19 times?
The dude is absolute money. Only 2 misses and runs like a Mack truck. I didn't even know who he was before this year.

I'm not an X's and O's guy, curious to hear thoughts on why he hasn't been targeted much? Is it because he's more of a blocker?
Reply/Quote
Lots of mouths to feed on this offense. Not a bad problem to have.
Reply/Quote
There are only so many balls to go around and they tend to use him as more of an option off PA. We are hot and cold on using PA so that probably has a lot to do with his usage. I think he will have games where he is 2nd in yards as a receiving option and plenty where he is 5th. That's kind of the beauty of our personnel we can be so multiple in how we attack.
Reply/Quote
I'm not trying to be negative towards CJ, but I think we've only been targeting him when we spot a mismatch. Which would explain both his low amount of targets and the amazing stats when he IS targeted.

CJ has always been a solid TE, but never somebody that amazed. I think he's benefitting a lot from the offense we're running, and Zac Taylor/Joe Burrow calling his number in great situations.

Of course, he's doing a bang up job when his number does get called, so props to him, still.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
CJ Uzomah is the perfect example of how a top tier QB can make a good player GREAT!
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 05:50 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: The dude is absolute money. Only 2 misses and runs like a Mack truck. I didn't even know who he was before this year.

I'm not an X's and O's guy, curious to hear thoughts on why he hasn't been targeted much? Is it because he's more of a blocker?

As Au165 said, the ball is getting spread around a lot. Even the backs are getting the ball more this year which helps. 

Nothing against Uzo, he is a good TE, good blocker, good pass catcher and yeah, tough as heck to tackle.

Burrow is just finding the open player most of the time. If he can just get away from throwing needless picks this Offense 
could end up being something like that LSU Offense. He only threw 6 INTS the entire year that season. This year I think he
already has 8. Cut down on these and look out.
Reply/Quote
If anyone was following last year, Joe constantly talked about the discussions he and "former QB" CJ had in the trainer's room as they rehabbed together. bfine pointed this out often and suggested a big year from CJ. Of course bfine was also not a fan of JaMarr Chase so despite what many believe he's only human..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 05:50 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: The dude is absolute money. Only 2 misses and runs like a Mack truck. I didn't even know who he was before this year.

I think He benefits a lot from the 3 Amigos, Chase , Boyd and Higgins... There is only So many guys a defense can Key in on....
Reply/Quote
He was hurt most of last year, and previously it didn’t seem like the TE wasn’t a really big part of the Bengals offense.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
These are getting to be high times indeed. I think about team needs this offseason, and I think well, we need a corner, but Apple is doing a pretty acceptable job. Then the old standby of guard, but our guards are doing great. then I get to TE as the one weapon that isn't top quality, but then Uzomah is just out there dealing on people.
Reply/Quote
CJ before the Ravens game. Pretty awesome interview. Very well spoken.

Here's another preview. The Bengals went out and executed their plan. Their only penalty was from the 6th lineman late in the game when they were running to run the clock

Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Chase is drawing so much attention. He'll get more targets just because of that. On the 2nd TD in this last game you could see four defenders go toward Chase... FOUR. This left CJ all alone against one defender to beat.

The other thing on that play? The first guy to greet Uz after the TD? Spain. That's right. An O Lineman sprinted downfield to chest bump him. That is team. This team oozes confidence.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 11:37 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Chase is drawing so much attention.  He'll get more targets just because of that.  On the 2nd TD in this last game you could see four defenders go toward Chase... FOUR.  This left CJ all alone against one defender to beat.  

The other thing on that play?  The first guy to greet Uz after the TD?  Spain.  That's right.  An O Lineman sprinted downfield to chest bump him.  That is team.  This team oozes confidence.

Watch this and you might see how they came up with that play call. They start talking about Chase at the 3 minute mark and then they talk about Uzomah and his communication with Burrow at 5:25.

Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 05:58 PM)motoarch Wrote: Lots of mouths to feed on this offense.  Not a bad problem to have.

It's almost mind boggling if you really do look at our offense.  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 07:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Burrow is just finding the open player most of the time. If he can just get away from throwing needless picks this Offense 
could end up being something like that LSU Offense. He only threw 6 INTS the entire year that season. This year I think he

Agreed although I think I remember at least 3 of those were tips. He’ll come around. Needs to maybe not take so many risks even though they do seem to pay off most of the time. 

6-2 on Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 06:23 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Agreed although I think I remember at least 3 of those were tips. He’ll come around. Needs to maybe not take so many risks even though they do seem to pay off most of the time. 

6-2 on Sunday.

Burrow trusts Chase and our D a lot. I don't blame him honestly. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite us in a close one.

Yeah, should be 6-2 no matter what Sunday. Just hoping some of the little things get cleaned up.

It is okay to throw the ball away and Burrow needs to learn to slide. He gets these things down boy oh boy.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 06:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm not trying to be negative towards CJ, but I think we've only been targeting him when we spot a mismatch. Which would explain both his low amount of targets and the amazing stats when he IS targeted.

CJ has always been a solid TE, but never somebody that amazed. I think he's benefitting a lot from the offense we're running, and Zac Taylor/Joe Burrow calling his number in great situations.

Of course, he's doing a bang up job when his number does get called, so props to him, still.

On his first TD on Sunday, he was covered by Marlon Humphrey.  Honestly, that's in Baltimore's favor on paper.

An interesting stat is CJ is currently tied for 2nd in the league in yards/target at 13.5 YPT.  #1?  Chase at a ridiculous 14.8 YPT.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 06:59 PM)Whatever Wrote: On his first TD on Sunday, he was covered by Marlon Humphrey.  Honestly, that's in Baltimore's favor on paper.

An interesting stat is CJ is currently tied for 2nd in the league in yards/target at 13.5 YPT.  #1?  Chase at a ridiculous 14.8 YPT.

When your yards/target would be a good yards/catch...yeah.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 07:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: As Au165 said, the ball is getting spread around a lot. Even the backs are getting the ball more this year which helps. 

Nothing against Uzo, he is a good TE, good blocker, good pass catcher and yeah, tough as heck to tackle.

Burrow is just finding the open player most of the time. If he can just get away from throwing needless picks this Offense 

I remember those conversations.... Joe said he'd ask CJ what stupid tattoo he got that week. Hilarious
I definitely think rehabbing together helped their on field chemistry. 
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 08:24 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: It's almost mind boggling if you really do look at our offense.  

Seriously! I mean, you double Chase, we'll throw to Higgins and Boyd. Got them covered, we'll throw to CJ. Oh, you shut that down too, we'll we'll just run the ball at you with Mixon and Perine, and toss in some play actions with them and Evans. Talk about a starting lineup.
Reply/Quote