Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CJD Draft using Fanspeak
I threw together a draft using the Fanspeak draft simulator (easily my favorite way to make mock drafts, as they involve real time drafting, rather than just assuming my favorite picks are where I want them) with the intention of going BPA as often as possible.

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/draft.php?d=gujbml#/.Vw4nH2kwhU4.gmail

Well, my needs were pretty damn close to the BPA in most rounds, which was extremely nice and made the draft look good. Let me know what you think:

24: R1P24
WR LAQUON TREADWELL
OLE MISS

This was a pick that was surprising to me. Both Treadwell and Doctson were on the board. I was tempted by both, but Treadwell being the better overall prospect made me go with him, even though I normally would have just taken Doctson and been extremely happy with it.

55: R2P24
C NICK MARTIN
NOTRE DAME

Ryan Kelly was taken 3 picks before this spot, but we still get a premium center in the 2nd round. I could have double dipped at WR, because Will Fuller was available, but I felt like a top rated center can really help this team and it wasn't a reach by any means.

87: R3P24
OLB JOSHUA PERRY
OHIO STATE

This pick I kind of regret because I didn't realize Jaylon Smith was somehow still on the board. Either pick would be a good player, however Smith has the potential to be great, whereas Perry has the potential to merely be pro bowl level. If I went back and re-did the draft, I'd definitely take Jaylon Smith here. But if that doesn't happen on draft day, which I 100% expect it not to, Perry is a fine pick in the 3rd round to really help out Linebacking corp.

122: R4P24
WR RASHARD HIGGINS
COLORADO STATE

Here's where I choose to grab that second WR. I wanted Pharoh Cooper, but he was picked 5 picks prior. Higgins is a good back up plan, as he is a reliable pass catcher and good route runner. He isn't fast, which is why he is here in the 4th round despite his other attributes. I see him as a replacement for Mohamed Sanu.

161: R5P22
DT JAVON HARGRAVE
SOUTH CAROLINA STATE

Talk about a steal in the 5th round!
29.5 sacks in 2 seasons. Good size and a strong showing in the offseason games. Pass rushers are never a bad thing, and Hargrave may be one of the best in the draft. Geno Atkins type pick that could really turn into a super star.

199: R6P24
DE JASON FANAIKA
UTAH

More pass rush. A bit of a tweener, but we could find room for him. He could fill the role of Gilberry, who can be an enforcer on the outside and kick inside for pass rush on obvious passing downs. Not a bad get in Round 6.

245: R7P24
CB KEN CRAWLEY
COLORADO

Finish off the day with an underrated CB who has fallen due to his size. He is a relatively thin CB but he has the ability to really stick to his opponent. I probably would have gone CB earlier, but the value was never there and when given the choice between Hargrave, a guy who should have been drafted 2 or 3 rounds earlier, and a CB would would fit the round well, the choice was easy. Still, Crawley is a guy they can drop in behind Dre, Pac, Shaw and Dennard who can learn for a year and possible contribute next year.

What do you guys think?
Reply/Quote
Would be pretty frickin sweet if it went like this. I doubt Treadwell is the at our pick but if he is i think
you have to grab him up. Love the Martin pick, this would help our team more than anything we would
have one of the best O-lines in the NFL after this. One player has been the reason why we are not and
we all know who that is.

I agree i would rather take Jaylon Smith over Perry. He is just worth the gamble on down the road.

Love the Hargrave pick, absolutely love it. I was kind of disapointed with the lack of a DE until the
Fanaika pick. We need another pass rusher to pick up where Gilberry left, this guy is a good one.

Nice mock.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 02:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would be pretty frickin sweet if it went like this. I doubt Treadwell is the at our pick but if he is i think
you have to grab him up. Love the Martin pick, this would help our team more than anything we would
have one of the best O-lines in the NFL after this. One player has been the reason why we are not and
we all know who that is.

I agree i would rather take Jaylon Smith over Perry. He is just worth the gamble on down the road.

Love the Hargrave pick, absolutely love it. I was kind of disapointed with the lack of a DE until the
Fanaika pick. We need another pass rusher to pick up where Gilberry left, this guy is a good one.

Nice mock.

Yea, DE was something I was hoping to get to a little quicker, but the value was never really there.

I do find it unlikely that Treadwell will be there, but you never know what other teams' top priorities are. There's a high end prospect that falls 10 to 15 slots each year, I think. Last year, it was Breshard Perriman and Bud Dupree. The year before that, it was Dennard, Sharrif Floyd in 2013, DeCastro (who we were all positive would be gone by #17) in 2012. So there's some hope.

But I do think Doctson has a good shot at being there as well, so I think we get a top receiver regardless.

As for the Jaylon Smith and Hargrave picks...I have no idea. That was just one of those things. It may have been a computer error that messed up their rankings haha. I really don't know. 

Needless to say, if we got this draft 3 weekends from now, I'd be a pretty happy man.
Reply/Quote
I like a lot of it, but I always try to mock/sim with a bit more of "what do I think the Bengals will do?", not just my own desires. I simply don't see them drafting a Center. The fact that you made it one of the best G/C prospects in the draft makes more sense, though. A good backup plan for Zeitler, should he leave via FA.

I would think they could get a bigger talent (BPA) at DE in the second round, though, and hope Martin is there in the third.

If this is how it went down, but with Smith available in the third, I would be pretty pumped.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2016, 08:42 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Yea, DE was something I was hoping to get to a little quicker, but the value was never really there.

I do find it unlikely that Treadwell will be there, but you never know what other teams' top priorities are. There's a high end prospect that falls 10 to 15 slots each year, I think. Last year, it was Breshard Perriman and Bud Dupree. The year before that, it was Dennard, Sharrif Floyd in 2013, DeCastro (who we were all positive would be gone by #17) in 2012. So there's some hope.

But I do think Doctson has a good shot at being there as well, so I think we get a top receiver regardless.

As for the Jaylon Smith and Hargrave picks...I have no idea. That was just one of those things. It may have been a computer error that messed up their rankings haha. I really don't know. 

Needless to say, if we got this draft 3 weekends from now, I'd be a pretty happy man.

Jaylon Smith and Hargrave could both fall a way. Jaylon for his injuries and Hargrave cause of small school competition.

This is entirely possible. Treadwell could also fall cause of his lack of speed and just dominating no name Corners.

But with Treadwell's hands i doubt we pass him up. I might like Doctson a little more than Quan cause of his speed and
his ability to high point the ball but i would love either pick. I would be a happy fella myself with this draft. 
Reply/Quote