Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CJD Final Mock Draft (For Real this time)
Alright, well the draft is tomorrow and my hype level has reached a fever pitch. I wanted to wait until tomorrow to post my final mock draft, but I'm just gonna do it now haha.
[Image: x8QgL5N.png]

Round 2 
I love the value at every single position. I think Murray is losing a little steam going into the final week of the draft, as people are beginning to question his coverage experience. I think that's good for us because, while he isn't very experienced in pass coverage, he has the athleticism and speed to do so. He just needs to reign in his speed and be more in control. I think he compliments Pratt perfectly and has a year to learn behind Josh Bynes, who everyone says is a consummate pro and great presence on the team. Taking a relatively raw prospect like Murray (yes, he played a lot in college, but his coverage reps are limited) and transforming him under veteran leadership is the name of the game and I love the potential Murray has. If Murray wasn't there, I was prepared to go Zach Baun, so I think this position order is pretty locked in for me. If neither of them were there, then one of the tackles taken in the first, Josh Jones or Isaiah Wilson, likely would have fallen.

Round 3
Pittman is a player that is gaining steam going into the final week and there's a relatively good chance he goes in the 2nd round. With that said, there are still a solid 8 receivers ahead of him in most projections, so falling to pick 65 isn't unreasonable in any way. If he isn't there, then there's a fair chance a player like Chase Claypool or Laviska Shenault Jr is there, so I think this position is solidly a WR, whoever is left from the top 12 receiver. Pittman has the size we covet, good speed for his size, amazing hands (I think I saw a metric that he has 5 drops in his entire college career...) and has a little more wiggle than you'd expect from a man his size. His knocks are that he isn't as good at jump balls as you would expect for a player his size and that he doesn't have breakaway speed to create separation in the NFL. Those are knocks I can live with given the wing span, hands and size he provides.

Round 4
Prince Tega Wanagho is a player that is being projected as high as the late first round and as low as the late 3rd round. He has potential and athleticism, but he needs to work on his play strength. I know that sounds like Ogbuehi, but I can take that risk in the 4th round. He likely won't replace Hart in his rookie year, but he could very realistically take over RT in 2021 and play some back up tackle in 2020. We need depth just in case Williams has a set back (hopefully he doesn't. PTW has the ability to play LT in the NFL and that's hard to find this late. It may be odd to see him available this late, but this is a very deep tackle class with Wirfs, Wills, Thomas, Becton, Jones, Jackson, Cleveland, Wilson, Niang, Peart and Bartch all projecting in the 1st to 3rd rounds, in that order. If PTW is taken, we can likely get Peart or Bartch here. Niang may fall due to injury concerns that team doctors were unable to check out as well. So I expect a quality tackle to be available in the 4th round. PTW profiles best as a Zone blocking tackle, which is exactly what we need.

Round 5
Anfernee Jennings is a pick to back up Carl Lawson in case he leaves in 2021 and to provide more depth along a defensive line that only has 3 true DEs on the roster. Jennings is a little undersized at 6'2" 252 lbs, but if we're playing some 3-4 this coming year, he profiles very well as a 3-4 OLB and can play DE on obvious passing downs. Carl Lawson is the same height as him, so Jennings could potentially add about 10 lbs to his frame and offer similar traits as Lawson to this defense.

Round 6
Solomon Kindley is a player that, honestly, is an enigma to me. Early on in the draft process, he was being called a 2nd or 3rd round pick. However, as things developed further and more players were getting recognition he slowly and surely fell down boards. He is more power than zone, so it may not be a scheme fit. But this late in the draft, getting a player with starting potential is worth the pick, even if they aren't a perfect scheme fit.
This guard class is kind of all over the place with evaluations on who is better than who. I think it's all very scheme dependent. There are obviously the power guards like Simpson, Hunt, Kindley, Lewis, Muti, Stenberg, Lemieux, Biadasz, Onwenu and Bredeson and then you have the more nimble zone guys like Ruiz, Cushenberry, Jackson, Hennessy, Harris, Murphy, Ismael, Durant and Adeniji.
To be perfectly honest, I was targeting Yasir Durant at this pick, but he was taken two picks before 180. He would be an amazing guard in our zone scheme system.  

Round 7
And finally Raequan Williams in the 7th is a pure value pick. Atkins is getting older and our top two back up DTs are free agents in 2021 (Ryan Glasgow and Josh Tupou). The other option available at this pick was Benito Jones, but I like Williams just a little bit more, though not by much. I also could have gone CB here, but honestly, back up CB isn't really a need for this team. Future starter CB is. And I just didn't see any CBs in the 7th that I thought could eventually play consistent snaps without hurting the team. I could have drafted A.J. Green just for the lols but I decided to go with a player that would actually play a role on this team, rather than just a depth player that will never play meaningful snaps and will be replaced before their number ever gets called (which is what a late round CB would be for us, imo).

What are your thoughts? I'm so stoked for tomorrow night!!
Reply/Quote
Those first four are really close to being as good as it could be.

I would trade 5, 6, and 7 if it allowed us to move up just a smidge on each pick to guarantee getting Murray, Pittman, and PTW. And be happy as hell with just those 4.
Reply/Quote
Nice job, CJD. I'm not big on PTW, but like you said in your recap, others might be there in place of.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 10:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nice job, CJD. I'm not big on PTW, but like you said in your recap, others might be there in place of.

Why not?
Reply/Quote
Completely agree on Solomon Kindley. I think no pro days, and no combine is what hurt him. Kind of like this te class who got messed up because of that idiotic sled drill. There is some real talent in the later rounds of the draft this year. Turns out right now, offensive tackles are going to show off in the first. I am a huge draft fan. I can sleep tonight but tomorrow is like Christmas eve. Where Friday we get the now stuff. Saturday is when aunt Becky shows up and we all hope she got the right list this year.

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote