Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think we go tackle in the 2nd
(04-21-2020, 12:33 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: I hope you're right, but the latest rumor is that they'll be looking for pass rushers after the first round. That could mean Baun or Epenesa, in 2.

Not a bad plan. Get the best QB and get after the QB. Sounds pretty good to me.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 09:26 PM)Mobster Wrote: So, basically what you're saying is we don't know anything until after the 32nd pick when we know who is available because right now they could go in numerous directions depending on who gets drafted before their pick?

Cool insight!

Lighten up, Francis...

This site has been going mostly LBs and WRs head to head with our second pick.  Now, Josh Jones and Isiah Wilson are being talked about as fringe Rd 1 guys.  I never thought either of them would be available, but they could be.  It is worth discussing now:  Which way do we want them to go?

As much as I REALLY want a WR like Mims in Rd 2, if one of those two tackles is there, I am taking him and making him our RT of the foreseeable future.  Our discussion could include WRs/LBs in Rd 3 and weighing our options there.

This is the NFL draft, which has long been my Super Bowl.  I don't care to see a guy get sarcasm because he posted a legitimate opinion that happens to be very possible. 

Joe
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 10:12 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: Ive seen Ezra Cleveland shoot up to mid 20's.  I think there will be a run on tackles early.  Obviously nobody knows what will happen but I want Burrow to have a solid O line.  We have seen what happened to Andrew Luck.  

If the LB core sucks for another year, so be it

Cleveland tested ridiculously at the combine, but he still needs at least a year of adding strength.  His tape, to me anyways, doesn't show the guy that tested.  He's athletic as hell, but not very strong and he didn't dominate at his level of competition.  

If I am a team with loads of talent, I could draft him and develop him over the next year and he could be a long term starter, but for our team, if we take a tackle, he has to start now at RT....just my opinion.  And Isiah Wilson and Josh Jones are good candidates to be a mauling RT.  

And I don't think the LB corps with suck if they wait until the third...there is probably more middle round starting talent at LB than any other position.  Like I have said a number of times, the stars (finally) seem to be aligning for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 10:45 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: The closer it gets the more I feel they are targeting instant impact players at least through day 2.

We know they like Hart. They gave him all that money and we know they like Jonah considering where he was picked. And Fred Johnson is our swing tackle. I would love a tackle but I think they are more happy with our tackle situation than I am.

I would love it if we double dipped at tackle on day two. Isaiah Wilson in 2 then Prince Tega in 3. I would love to be able to complain about what are we going to do with all these OL.

But I think it is going to be a LB and an offensive weapon taken on day two.

This.  I would strongly consider a RT like Wilson or Jones at #33, but that is me...If it was just Hart at RT, I bet they might as well, but they really like what they saw from Fred Johnson last year and think he can push Hart at RT.   They may be happier with that situation than only 2 WRs under contract after next year.  We know they will need to surround Burrow with weapons.  

The more I think about it, the more I think the real discussion will be OT vs. WR at #33 or a slide back and take one of them.  
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 10:39 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I was thinking about this the other day. Remembering the draft when the Redskins bet the farm to trade up for RG3. And took Cousins later in the draft. We know how that worked out. Highly unlikely considering the QBs on our roster right now. But just an interesting piece of early QB pick history

I have this dream that Dolegala beats out Finley and Burrow takes an immediate liking to him and helps him develop.  Dolegala, next year, is dominant in the preseason and even gets to start a regular season game (just wait!) because the Bengals have locked up the division and can't change their seeding.  Playing with mostly #2s, Dolegala pounds the opponent and the Bengals win the game.

The following offseason, a team in need of a young QB offers the Bengals something ridiculous for Dolegala, a la Seattle for Matt Flynn when he did just that in Green Bay.  

I know there is some wild imagination there, but I see Finley as so limited that I would hope they try to develop Dolegala instead.  
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2020, 12:09 AM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: People keep bringing up Tackles; but, we are just fine there now. Jonah, Hart and Fred will all be just fine with Burrow at QB. 

Everyone has forgotten that Jonah did not give up 1 sack all year long in his Senior year. He's a technician, takes the game like a business, and will be just fine on the left side. 
And, Hart gave up 6 sacks and countless pressures last year. But, he had a QB who couldn't feel pressure and was "shell shocked" most of the time whenever pressure came his way. 

Now, the next time someone gets around Hart off the edge, they have Burrow who loves to step up in the pocket and scramble to his right. It's his favorite thing to do in all the games I watched him in. 

So, Hart (or Johnson) should give up less sacks this year and we'll be fine.

We need the help at LG now, with more competition at RG as well. That's where I see them attacking this draft, 3rd or 4th rounds. 
The only other high up move I can see them doing is Isaiah Wilson with their 2nd round pick (maybe after trading down). 
And, moving him inside to RG his 1st year. Dude is 6'6", 350 lbs. I'd love him at RG for us as a Rookie. Xavier could move over to LG if needed. 

Lot of truth here, and I wouldn't use a day 1 or even day 2 pick on a guard with this class of WR, OT, and LB.  I think the Bengals like Damien Lewis and could see him here with our 4th round pick.  It would be even sweeter if they were able to slide a bit in Rd 2 or 3 and get additional picks for depth at LB in those middle/later rounds.  
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2020, 12:27 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Guard is our biggest need on Offense, you make some good points here.

Jonah was the best OL in that entire Draft no doubt. I just want to see it come to fruition before we say it is set in stone.

Xavier should be LG as that is where he plays the best. RG is where we need an upgrade big time.

I am not giving up on Michael Jordan.  Consider how he came on late in the year, coming back after an injury.  As a rookie, that came from OSU, his offseason from College Football was probably one week.  One week after their final game, he started prepping for the combine, then OTAs, then camp, then the regular season.  I see so many guys after their last year of college get to the NFL as just dead wood.  Their sophomore year (in the NFL) gives them time to recover, absorb more of the playbook and training aspects, and be a better contributor.

The Locked on Bengals Podcast had a really nice interview with Willie Anderson and went through his draft process and rookie season and the discussion reminded me of how tough it is for rookies to come in and be quality starters.  Willie said he was really good down the stretch of the final four games and I believe he said from the middle of year 2 to year 6, he gave up one sack and zero pressures (!).  Talk about coming on strong!

I think Jordan has all the tools and with this offseason can come in and own the LG position.  RG is a bit of a mystery.  They really seem to like XSF's tape and, more specifically, the quality of the opponents he stoned in his limited action.  But if there is one place on the offensive line where I think the Bengals believe there could be need to upgrade, it is RG.  And I think Lewis in Rd 4 would be perfect.  I will be sweating out all those damn compensatory picks at the end of rd 3 if he is still on the board.  
Reply/Quote
I don't think you can make any definitives about #33 until you see who is on the board. If the big 4 tackles are gone and then there is a run on them, there's no way I would take a tackle just to take one. We've seen how that plays out.

I think tackle can wait a little while in this draft. I don't think we are looking for a LT. I'd rather draft a guy that has been playing on the right side during his college days so he can step right in.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 01:34 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I don't think you can make any definitives about #33 until you see who is on the board. If the big 4 tackles are gone and then there is a run on them, there's no way I would take a tackle just to take one. We've seen how that plays out.

I think tackle can wait a little while in this draft. I don't think we are looking for a LT. I'd rather draft a guy that has been playing on the right side during his college days so he can step right in.

I agree with you. I could see Wilson, Cleveland, Jones or Jackson at 33. Otherwise an edge rusher or dark horse pick, cb. Otherwise trade back if possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 01:41 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I agree with you.  I could see Wilson, Cleveland, Jones or Jackson at 33.  Otherwise an edge rusher or dark horse pick, cb.  Otherwise trade back if possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Cleveland is mocked to a few teams like the Vikes and Brownies in the first. I'd personally want Josh Jones.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 08:42 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Lot of truth here, and I wouldn't use a day 1 or even day 2 pick on a guard with this class of WR, OT, and LB.  I think the Bengals like Damien Lewis and could see him here with our 4th round pick.  It would be even sweeter if they were able to slide a bit in Rd 2 or 3 and get additional picks for depth at LB in those middle/later rounds.  

You and I see eye to eye of the Tiger on this one SHR! Lol 

I could definitely see Lewis going to us in the 4th. Draft Experts say he's only a masher and doesn't do very well in movement. 
I've seen every one of their games, and so much Burrow, Jefferson, Hellaire, Cushenberry and Lewis tape, it's ridiculous. (My GF's nephew started on LSU's Defense as a true freshman)! 
And, Lewis does get to the second level, and runs down the field mashing players as well. I'm sure he would be just fine in the Bengals system. 
And, the Bengals coached him and Cushenberry in the Senior Bowl. 
I fully expect at least one of those dudes on the team to help their boy Burrow!  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 08:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am not giving up on Michael Jordan.  Consider how he came on late in the year, coming back after an injury.  As a rookie, that came from OSU, his offseason from College Football was probably one week.  One week after their final game, he started prepping for the combine, then OTAs, then camp, then the regular season.  I see so many guys after their last year of college get to the NFL as just dead wood.  Their sophomore year (in the NFL) gives them time to recover, absorb more of the playbook and training aspects, and be a better contributor.

The Locked on Bengals Podcast had a really nice interview with Willie Anderson and went through his draft process and rookie season and the discussion reminded me of how tough it is for rookies to come in and be quality starters.  Willie said he was really good down the stretch of the final four games and I believe he said from the middle of year 2 to year 6, he gave up one sack and zero pressures (!).  Talk about coming on strong!

I think Jordan has all the tools and with this offseason can come in and own the LG position.  RG is a bit of a mystery.  They really seem to like XSF's tape and, more specifically, the quality of the opponents he stoned in his limited action.  But if there is one place on the offensive line where I think the Bengals believe there could be need to upgrade, it is RG.  And I think Lewis in Rd 4 would be perfect.  I will be sweating out all those damn compensatory picks at the end of rd 3 if he is still on the board.  

Great points, hope Jordan can become a great Lineman for us. Can he play RG is my question?

I know he can play back up Center.

Really wanting Lewis in the 3rd or 4th, getting close, I am excited. Dancing
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 09:15 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: They need to cut some more salary, and Bobby Hart IMO is a waste of money.  

I think they need to grab a tackle in round 2, and hope a guy like Gay is there in the 3rd.  

Still though, everything depends on if there is a run on tackles or LBers or both

Hart improved last year.. did not give up that many sacks as some want to state.. sure they could go tackle. but I would look at LB and Guard probably more than tackle
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 08:15 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: You and I see eye to eye of the Tiger on this one SHR! Lol 

I could definitely see Lewis going to us in the 4th. Draft Experts say he's only a masher and doesn't do very well in movement. 
I've seen every one of their games, and so much Burrow, Jefferson, Hellaire, Cushenberry and Lewis tape, it's ridiculous. (My GF's nephew started on LSU's Defense as a true freshman)! 
And, Lewis does get to the second level, and runs down the field mashing players as well. I'm sure he would be just fine in the Bengals system. 
And, the Bengals coached him and Cushenberry in the Senior Bowl. 
I fully expect at least one of those dudes on the team to help their boy Burrow!  ThumbsUp

Selfishly, I almost wish Lewis hadn't been a late add to the Senior Bowl.  Now Detroit knows him well, too, but to get him they would have to use a 3rd rounder (assuming the Bengals went after him in the 4th).  I think the players at the Senior Bowl have such a leg up on everyone else as they know their medicals and overall impressions whereas all the other players have been working from tape and skype/zoom.

If they get Lewis for RG and a guy like Isiah Wilson as our RT in Rd 2, the offensive line is a weakness no more.  

As much as I want a WR like Mims in our 2nd pick, I might just hold my breath that a guy like Claypool is available in Rd 3.  
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 08:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great points, hope Jordan can become a great Lineman for us. Can he play RG is my question?

I know he can play back up Center.

Really wanting Lewis in the 3rd or 4th, getting close, I am excited. Dancing

Not sure if he has ever played RG, but I would imagine his experience at LG and C would help.  

I am so excited, too.  Even after we pick Burrow tonight, not only can I breath a sigh of relief but we can watch who comes off the board, hoping for a run on things like QB, CB, and RB, pushing talent down to us at the top of day 2.  Going to be a lot of fun!
Reply/Quote