Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this child abuse?
(07-05-2017, 08:32 PM)Benton Wrote: I dunno. Christianity calls for a lot of tolerance and we're a pretty intolerant society.

Are we? Or is that just why the leftist want us all to believe.
(07-05-2017, 07:03 PM)GMDino Wrote: But imagine how much better society would be if we just taught kids to be nice to everyone, judge them on their actions, and not dislike people because they don't believe int he same way.

Or that being good to one another was a human thing...not backed or influenced by a god with the punishment/reward on the other side.

Then when they are old enough you explain god and religion and see how that goes.

I don't think you need to exclude religion in order to teach kids to be nice to everyone. Not being a nice person is more of an adult problem than it is a kid problem and that's not because kids are being taught that God exists.

Many children grow up in broken homes or are parented in ways that allow them to be disrespectful to others. I think it would be better to focus on better parenting than trying to exclude religion at a young age. People can throw out all the bibles they want and still raise crappy kids that turn into crappy adults. 
(07-06-2017, 01:41 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: I don't think you need to exclude religion in order to teach kids to be nice to everyone. Not being a nice person is more of an adult problem than it is a kid problem and that's not because kids are being taught that God exists.

Many children grow up in broken homes or are parented in ways that allow them to be disrespectful to others. I think it would be better to focus on better parenting than trying to exclude religion at a young age. People can throw out all the bibles they want and still raise crappy kids that turn into crappy adults. 

But look at how many more people have been killed over religion versus whether their parents were divorced or not.

I totally agree that better parenting is key.  And, to me, part of that is to teach our kids to treat everyone equally.  Even if they believe in a different religion.  But religion doesn't always allow for that.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-06-2017, 01:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: But look at how many more people have been killed over religion versus whether their parents were divorced or not.

I totally agree that better parenting is key.  And, to me, part of that is to teach our kids to treat everyone equally.  Even if they believe in a different religion.  But religion doesn't always allow for that.

I see where you're coming from but what religion "allows" is up to one's own interpretations. I agree that kids should be taught to love everyone, but I don't think that's impossible to do while also teaching religious views. Parents can teach their kids about God, Moses, Jesus, etc... Without turning them into rampaging religious psychopaths. None of those things are what makes people hate others, it's what their parents specifically teach them as "law". A kids not gonna go out and kill gay people because he was taught that God created the universe.

In addition to this, I feel the need to make the point that there are many armed conflicts that have happened throughout history that were not religious. Take for example the Mongolian invasions and conquests of Eastern Europe and Asia, which were not religious but millions of people still died. If religion didn't exist, people would still pillage and plunder in the name of pillaging and plundering, just like the Mongols did.
(07-06-2017, 01:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: But look at how many more people have been killed over religion versus whether their parents were divorced or not.

That's teaching religion poorly.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-07-2017, 08:58 AM)michaelsean Wrote: That's teaching religion poorly.  

That's religion.

It's the indoctrination that your way is the right way.  Tell enough people that everyone else is wrong and sooner or later someone is going to fight about it.
(07-07-2017, 09:08 AM)GMDino Wrote: That's religion.

It's the indoctrination that your way is the right way.  Tell enough people that everyone else is wrong and sooner or later someone is going to fight about it.

Well teaching people that everyone else is wrong is teaching poorly.  Hell even the Catholics now say that while they believe they have the best way, it is not the only way.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-07-2017, 09:41 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Well teaching people that everyone else is wrong is teaching poorly.  Hell even the Catholics now say that while they believe they have the best way, it is not the only way.

I suppose what I'm more talking about is a "perfect world".

I have plenty of Christian friends that believe you will go to hell for simply not believing their way to get to heaven.  Have a billion people that learn that and you will have some that go to extremes.

But there are plenty of other things to fight about too:  My government is better, I want that piece of land you own, my way of marriage is better, etc.
(07-07-2017, 09:56 AM)GMDino Wrote: I suppose what I'm more talking about is a "perfect world".

I have plenty of Christian friends that believe you will go to hell for simply not believing their way to get to heaven.  Have a billion people that learn that and you will have some that go to extremes.

But there are plenty of other things to fight about too:  My government is better, I want that piece of land you own, my way of marriage is better, etc.

Yes I would say that the people who teach not just Christianity but their own particular Christianity is the only way to avoid hell run a much greater risk of raising little religious psychopaths.  

Lying to children due to ignorance is still lying to children. When you start abusing them in the name of that ignorance... Well your an even bigger POS than the POS adult that turns a blind eye to the abuse. Both adult POS though.
(07-07-2017, 10:29 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Lying to children due to ignorance is still lying to children.  When you start abusing them in the name of that ignorance...  Well your an even bigger POS than the POS adult that turns a blind eye to the abuse.  Both adult POS though.

Lying about what?

(07-07-2017, 11:00 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Lying about what?

Immaculate conception. 500 year old men building arks to survive floods. Adam and Eve. The priest isn't a pedophile

I'm sure you have a better list you've been culling and suppressing
(07-07-2017, 03:23 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Immaculate conception.   500 year old men building arks to survive floods.  Adam and Eve.   The priest isn't a pedophile

Aside from the pedophile thing, do you have any proof of thsee being lies?
(07-07-2017, 03:23 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Immaculate conception. 500 year old men building arks to survive floods. Adam and Eve. The priest isn't a pedophile

If they believe it, it's not a lie.