Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CNN's Mock Draft 2.0
I'm hoping that we trade McCarron to the Broncos for their first round pick and I think that Marvin may just be trying to drive-up the price by saying we won't trade him, and I'm starting to believe that's a possibility, but, for right now, we'll assume that doesn't happen.

I was always hoping that we would take a NT high to replace Peko and make our front 7 dominant, but the lack of action in FA make me think that we have to go WR. That could change, but it is what it is right now.

Cripple News Network's Mock Draft 2.0

1. Michael Thomas, WR, OSU- A possession receiver that's 6'3, 212? Yes, please! Needs to work on his route running a bit, but he's a hands-catcher, which you can't teach that, but he also has deep-threat potential, and he's going under the radar because he wasn't used properly/poor QB play at OSU. This is the guy that I want opposite of AJ, and I even think that we could trade back a few spots to pick up an extra pick or two and still get him.

2. Andrew Billings, NT, Baylor- a lot of people don't even think that he'll make it out of the first round, but I still see a lot of people thinking that he won't go until late second or early third, so this might just be wishful thinking, but crazier things have happened. Maybe teams get timid because of the injury this season. Either way, he's the powerful dude we need at nose that can just toss linemen aside and get to the quarterback or stuff the run. If we can polish his moves so he does more than just rely on strength to get through the line, then I think he becomes very good and our front four, particularly our tackles, are unstoppable.

3. Graham Glasgow, C, Michigan- Not the most mobile guy that can get to the second level too well, but he's dominant at the point of attack and in pass protection, which is what we'll especially need for the monster NTs of the division. DWI (two) help him fall this far, and I also think teams looking at him as more of a guard help him fall this far. Bodine has been the weak link on our line and Glasgow helps solidify the entire offensive line.

4. DeAndre Houston-Carson, S, William and Mary- small school guy that played free safety, but I think we pretty much use strong and free interchangeably, and I love the tenacity he brings to the field and the intensity he plays the game with. He flies all over the field making plays and he isn't afraid to get physical, which we need an enforcer at safety. HIs scouting report says he over-pursues and has troubles changing direction, and it didn't say it in the reports, but I think it's because he plays too high, which can be fixed. He also has great ball skills and can cover man-to-man. I wanted to wait to take him in the fifth, but I don't think there's any way in hell he makes it that far and the values too much to pass on. You can't see him being too high in his highlight videos too well, so you might have to look at a full game tape like this one, but he'd be a hell of a steal.

5. Curt Maggitt, OLB, Tennessee- 6'3, 244...... this dude's a HUGE BEAST! I get scared just looking at pictures of him! He sprints all over the field and makes plays like an animal! Only played in 2 games this season before injury, which allows him to slide this far, but, as a 5th round pick, you're damn right he's worth the risk! May be a bit lanky to play the traditional SAM role, but I think he can get the job done in the changing, not-so-smash-mouth NFL anymore, plus I think our front four makes life easier on him. This is a huge steal here and I hope we can get him. See for yourself.

6. Mike Jordan, CB, Missouri Western- small school guy flying under the radar, and he's 6'1, 200, so he kind of fits that taller corner model that the league seems to like with the right talent. He's a hell of a ballhawk and shuts down one side of the field and erases a receiver. He'll only get better with more development and I think he could be an amazing steal. Look for yourself and see why I fell in love with the guy.

7. Quinshad Davis, WR, North Carolina- Tall dude at 6'3 or 6'4, 210 or 220, and he's a solid deep threat, so I say put him in the slot and let him go to work. He makes contested catches and makes athletic moves to go up and get the ball. Put him and AJ on opposite sides out wide on the goal line and pick one to throw a jump-ball to. He can also throw the ball relatively well, making him nice for trick plays. Sanu? Bye Felicia. Check out what I mean and this dude could be a big steal.

Billings might not make it to the second round, but that would be a hell of a draft if he did, and there's other prospects to put there that could still make it a great draft.

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
Nice mock, but I'd feel better about Billings in the 1st and Thomas in the 2nd. Also, I'd take S. Shepard over Thomas in the 2nd, if Shepard is there.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
best draft ever Sarcasm

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 12:31 PM)Okeana Wrote: best draft ever  Sarcasm

Rolleyes

Care to at least give your "all-knowing" reasoning?
Reply/Quote
I rather take Josh Doctson, Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, Laquon Treadwell, Sterling Shepard over Michael Thomas.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
This is a very probable mock, in all honesty. I don't know why someone wrote that it looks great and then throws up a sarcasm alert. Well, spoiler alert, this is a highly likely draft scenario. It hits all the areas of need and has some decent talent. I don't get why you think it is a bad draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 10:02 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I rather take Josh Doctson, Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, Laquon Treadwell, Sterling Shepard over Michael Thomas.
Fuller- solid deep threat and playmaker, but small hands and lets the ball get to his body, which causes drops, and also a small frame/short, so not ideal for our possession receiver.

Docston- also has some drops, and that late wrist injury kind of worries me with putting screws in and whatever. 

Treadwell- doubt he's there, and has the occasional focus lapse, but I'd probably take him or look for a team looking to trade up.

Coleman- focus problems, plus he's only 5'11, which we need a big target for our possession receiver.

Shepard- 5'10......  no thanks.......  see above about a big target for our possession receiver.
(03-23-2016, 10:45 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: This is a very probable mock, in all honesty. I don't know why someone wrote that it looks great and then throws up a sarcasm alert. Well, spoiler alert, this is a highly likely draft scenario. It hits all the areas of need and has some decent talent. I don't get why you think it is a bad draft.

Haters going to hate.  

Thanks, though, because I was falling in love with it as I made it.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 11:38 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Fuller- solid deep threat and playmaker, but small hands and lets the ball get to his body, which causes drops, and also a small frame/short, so not ideal for our possession receiver.

Docston- also has some drops, and that late wrist injury kind of worries me with putting screws in and whatever. 

Treadwell- doubt he's there, and has the occasional focus lapse, but I'd probably take him or look for a team looking to trade up.

Coleman- focus problems, plus he's only 5'11, which we need a big target for our possession receiver.

Shepard- 5'10......  no thanks.......  see above about a big target for our possession receiver.

Haters going to hate.  

Thanks, though, because I was falling in love with it as I made it.

ThumbsUp

I wouldn't use the term possession receiver.  If anything, the number 2 guy needs to be able to get deep and loosen up the defense.

As for Shepard - I'd take him in a heartbeat to play the slot.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 12:11 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I wouldn't use the term possession receiver.  If anything, the number 2 guy needs to be able to get deep and loosen up the defense.

It's great if the #2 guy can slip deep occasionally, but what you want from your #2 is to be a guy that can catch the ball when the first option (and sometimes the second and third) break down and can consistently move the chains.  You want the focus to be so heavy on your #1 that you can make short-to-medium throws relatively easy to your possession receiver and be able to rely on him to consistently catch the ball.

Possession receivers are relied for heavily on third down to move the chains and to do things like go over the middle.

Take TJ Houshmanzadeh, one of the best possession receivers in the game for years for us and he only had one season with us with a reception over 46 yards, and that was only 62.  
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 05:36 AM)Shady Wrote: Nice mock, but I'd feel better about Billings in the 1st and Thomas in the 2nd. Also, I'd take S. Shepard over Thomas in the 2nd, if Shepard is there.

This.  I don't think Billings will be available at 55 - even with the rumors he'll drop to the 2nd (I don't think he will).  Shepard is getting more unlikely to be there at 55 but Thomas might.  He'd be a nice pick there.   I also really like Leonte Caroo out of Rutgers.   At 6-0  211lbs he's a load and is reported to have great hands  and block well.   One report characterizes him as playing with great fire.   He's be a nice consolation prize to Shepard.   And I love Glascow for the reasons the OP listed.

Nice mock.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 10:41 AM)3wt Wrote: This.  I don't think Billings will be available at 55 - even with the rumors he'll drop to the 2nd (I don't think he will).  Shepard is getting more unlikely to be there at 55 but Thomas might.  He'd be a nice pick there.   I also really like Leonte Caroo out of Rutgers.   At 6-0  211lbs he's a load and is reported to have great hands  and block well.   One report characterizes him as playing with great fire.   He's be a nice consolation prize to Shepard.   And I love Glascow for the reasons the OP listed.

Nice mock.

Thanks, and I also forgot to mention that one of the things that draws me to him is that Big 10 football reminds me a lot of AFCN football with the cold and physical play.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 02:39 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: It's great if the #2 guy can slip deep occasionally, but what you want from your #2 is to be a guy that can catch the ball when the first option (and sometimes the second and third) break down and can consistently move the chains.  You want the focus to be so heavy on your #1 that you can make short-to-medium throws relatively easy to your possession receiver and be able to rely on him to consistently catch the ball.

Possession receivers are relied for heavily on third down to move the chains and to do things like go over the middle.

Take TJ Houshmanzadeh, one of the best possession receivers in the game for years for us and he only had one season with us with a reception over 46 yards, and that was only 62.  

I guess it depends.  Darnay Scott was a burner that could get deep.

TJ was more of a slot guy that played the #2.  Usually your possession receiver is in the slot on 3rd downs to move the chains.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 12:11 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I wouldn't use the term possession receiver.  If anything, the number 2 guy needs to be able to get deep and loosen up the defense.

Agreed about Shepard. The guy is going to be amazing from the slot.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Im not sure why people are hating Shepard's height. His height/weight and 40 time are nearly identical to Antonio Brown's. As much as i dislike Brown this kid reminds me a lot of him. Having Green and a Antonio Brown clone.....damn.

i will admit I am biased because Shepard is one of my favorite players in this draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 05:28 PM)MentalRage Wrote: Im not sure why people are hating Shepard's height. His height/weight and 40 time are nearly identical to Antonio Brown's. As much as i dislike Brown this kid reminds me a lot of him. Having Green and a Antonio Brown clone.....damn.

i will admit I am biased because Shepard is one of my favorite players in this draft.

Very high praise, key with Brown is his ability to fight off press despite his lack of stature against boundary corners, one of Shepard's few weaknesses. 

I don't think Shepard Can't play outside, but I have a hard time believing his skill set will be maximized out there and it'd be a miracle if you get anything close to Brown-like production.
Reply/Quote
WRs seem to be this year's polarizing position here, rankings vary by the user it seems.

Michael Thomas in the 1st wouldn't bother me, as long as Doctson and Coleman are off the board.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 06:27 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Very high praise, key with Brown is his ability to fight off press despite his lack of stature against boundary corners, one of Shepard's few weaknesses. 

I don't think Shepard Can't play outside, but I have a hard time believing his skill set will be maximized out there and it'd be a miracle if you get anything close to Brown-like production.

Oh i agree it is high praise. Probably too high. Im not saying he will be Brown but coming out of college they are very similar. I just read Brown's draft profile. Here were his weaknesses:

"Lacks size. Not tall and does not possess enough bulk at this time. Needs to add strength to more effectively beat press coverage and battled for the ball in the air. Route running skills could use some refinement. Needs to become more consistent catching the ball in a crowd."

Just about the same weaknesses. Except Shepard might be better route runner out of college. 

Another thing I love about Shepard  From his NFL.com draft profile.

"Just eight drops with 253 catches and is able to adjust to high, low or behind him for difficult catches. Loves to compete. Willing to jump into a cornerback and get after him as a blocker from slot. Takes pride in his work ethic and scouts say his personal and football character is extremely high."

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 06:50 PM)MentalRage Wrote: Oh i agree it is high praise. Probably too high. Im not saying he will be Brown but coming out of college they are very similar. I just read Brown's draft profile. Here were his weaknesses:

"Lacks size. Not tall and does not possess enough bulk at this time. Needs to add strength to more effectively beat press coverage and battled for the ball in the air. Route running skills could use some refinement. Needs to become more consistent catching the ball in a crowd."

Just about the same weaknesses. Except Shepard might be better route runner out of college. 

Another thing I love about Shepard  From his NFL.com draft profile.

"Just eight drops with 253 catches and is able to adjust to high, low or behind him for difficult catches. Loves to compete. Willing to jump into a cornerback and get after him as a blocker from slot. Takes pride in his work ethic and scouts say his personal and football character is extremely high."

His tape backs his hype up, he's worthy of a top 50 pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 04:31 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Agreed about Shepard. The guy is going to be amazing from the slot.

The problem is where he will be on the Bengals board.   The Bengals are going to go with the BPA - which is working for them.  But I don't think Shepard will be on our board at 24 and I doubt if he'll be available at 55.

That doesn't mean we won't have options.  But I doubt it will be Shepard.   I hope I'm wrong.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 11:35 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Thanks, and I also forgot to mention that one of the things that draws me to him is that Big 10 football reminds me a lot of AFCN football with the cold and physical play.

Agreed.   If he's not there I also liked the center out of Michigan State.   Former wrestler who is physically and mentally tough.   I want one of those guys.
Reply/Quote