Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CNN's Mock Draft 2.0
Apparently Thomas is our #1 WR on our board according to Matt Miller.

Hmmmm
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 07:05 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Apparently Thomas is our #1 WR on our board according to Matt Miller.

Hmmmm

CincyJungle also has him as our top rated receiver, which it's hard to believe anything teams say in draft season, but the reasoning seems legit, which the reasoning is that they see him as another Marvin Jones:

Quote:The Bengals may see the next Marvin Jones in Michael Thomas, and that's why he may really be on top of their big board at receiver. Sure, they may think guys like Treadwell, Doctson and Coleman are better, but they're more confident Thomas will come in and do what Jones did and be that kind of player, whereas they're not as sure with the other guys as to what they'll be in the NFL or how to effectively use them.

Regardless of being more raw, I really think Thomas can be more explosive than Jones and a better target with sure-hands.

Thomas is one inch taller, but I think he does a better job at making athletic/contested catches.

I'm on the Thomas train more and more as we get closer to the draft.

If that's indeed true, I think we can scratch off the idea of taking Billings in the first and Thomas in the second.  
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 07:05 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Apparently Thomas is our #1 WR on our board according to Matt Miller.

Hmmmm

I saw that. Frankly, I'm a little stunned. First, I wonder how this got leaked, and if it's even true. Second, I thought for certain it would be Doctson or Coleman. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 02:21 AM)Shady Wrote: I saw that. Frankly, I'm a little stunned. First, I wonder how this got leaked, and if it's even true. Second, I thought for certain it would be Doctson or Coleman. 

We usually end up having different looking boards from the media and fan consensus anyways, so I'm not too surprised. 

But, if this info got leaked, one could very well say it's smoke, not that we're good at that type of thing anyways though...
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 03:06 AM)Stormborn Wrote: We usually end up having different looking boards from the media and fan consensus anyways, so I'm not too surprised. 

But, if this info got leaked, one could very well say it's smoke, not that we're good at that type of thing anyways though...

The claim is the Thomas IS at the top of our WR board, as if the Miller guy knows this to be a fact. I don't think anyone has any facts on any team's boards right now. Thomas does look intriguing though. The comparison to Marvin Jones isn't a bad one. He might even be a better all around WR. From game film (not highlights), he doesn't mind blocking. We know how big that is for our coaches and scouts. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 04:58 PM)Shady Wrote: The claim is the Thomas IS at the top of our WR board, as if the Miller guy knows this to be a fact. I don't think anyone has any facts on any team's boards right now. Thomas does look intriguing though. The comparison to Marvin Jones isn't a bad one. He might even be a better all around WR. From game film (not highlights), he doesn't mind blocking. We know how big that is for our coaches and scouts. 

Miller's one of the best in the scouting business, so I'm sure his sources are "reliable", but I still don't take it as fact.

If this is what the Bengals say (but may not mean), it's good PR from the team. Odds are Treadwell, Coleman and Doctson will be off the board at 24, Thomas looks way more attractive and the Bengals get "their guy".
Reply/Quote
If Billings is gone, we could double-up on OSU and go with Adolphus Washington in the second.

Needs to get stronger in the legs, which can be done, and I might like him to add a bit of weight, but I also don't want him to lose his agility or pass-rush ability.

A red-flag was that he was arrested in a prostitution sting, but let's be honest, who hasn't been involved in a prostitution scandal?! Rather that than raping a girl ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 07:14 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: If Billings is gone, we could double-up on OSU and go with Adolphus Washington in the second.

Needs to get stronger in the legs, which can be done, and I might like him to add a bit of weight, but I also don't want him to lose his agility or pass-rush ability.

A red-flag was that he was arrested in a prostitution sting, but let's be honest, who hasn't been involved in a prostitution scandal?!  Rather that than raping a girl  ThumbsUp

Little uncomfortable with the wink at the end but I know what you're saying.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 07:24 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Little uncomfortable with the wink at the end but I know what you're saying.

Meant "better"  than raping a girl.

Not that it makes it that much better, but just saying.
Reply/Quote
I really like it, Brad, but I wish we had a pass rushing RDE, perhaps in Rd 2 or 3. I think that is the biggest missing piece of this defense is a "NASCAR" package sub at RDE that has the speed to get around the edge. I love MJ, but he isn't the velociraptor I want at RDE on passing downs.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 09:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I really like it, Brad, but I wish we had a pass rushing RDE, perhaps in Rd 2 or 3.  I think that is the biggest missing piece of this defense is a "NASCAR" package sub at RDE that has the speed to get around the edge.  I love MJ, but he isn't the velociraptor I want at RDE on passing downs.

Thanks.  

Maybe they figure we don't need a receiver early now with the Lafell signing, but we're still very shallow at receiver, so we'd need a mid-rounder or another FA.  I think we should just use more (base) two TE sets since we have Eifert, Kroft, and Uzomah, but we still need a little depth at receiver.

I agree that we need at least one edge rusher to go in a rotation, so maybe a FA or with an early pick where Thomas was, but I still love his abilities, so who knows.
Reply/Quote
Oh my God, that is the worst mock for the Bengals I believe I've seen this year.

First, we aren't going overdraft a WR is the first round. Just not going to happen. We aren't going to fall back into the 90s and draft out of desperation.

Second, the chances of Billings making it to our 2nd round pick is next to 0.

Maybe Glasgow is an upgrade, maybe not. If we draft a new center Ryan Kelly is only one I'd like to see us draft before the 5th round. The rest of this year's crop just aren't that impressive.

Reply/Quote
Oddly enough, the only media guy whose opinion I listen to is Lapham right before the draft.

If he hints that we like a guy, you can pretty much mark it down that we are taking him if he is there.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 03:53 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm hoping that we trade McCarron to the Broncos for their first round pick and I think that Marvin may just be trying to drive-up the price by saying we won't trade him, and I'm starting to believe that's a possibility, but, for right now, we'll assume that doesn't happen.

I was always hoping that we would take a NT high to replace Peko and make our front 7 dominant, but the lack of action in FA make me think that we have to go WR.  That could change, but it is what it is right now.

Cripple News Network's Mock Draft 2.0

1.  Michael Thomas, WR, OSU- A possession receiver that's 6'3, 212?  Yes, please!  Needs to work on his route running a bit, but he's a hands-catcher, which you can't teach that, but he also has deep-threat potential, and he's going under the radar because he wasn't used properly/poor QB play at OSU.  This is the guy that I want opposite of AJ, and I even think that we could trade back a few spots to pick up an extra pick or two and still get him.

2.   Andrew Billings, NT, Baylor- a lot of people don't even think that he'll make it out of the first round, but I still see a lot of people thinking that he won't go until late second or early third, so this might just be wishful thinking, but crazier things have happened.  Maybe teams get timid because of the injury this season.  Either way, he's the powerful dude we need at nose that can just toss linemen aside and get to the quarterback or stuff the run.  If we can polish his moves so he does more than just rely on strength to get through the line, then I think he becomes very good and our front four, particularly our tackles, are unstoppable.

3.  Graham Glasgow, C, Michigan- Not the most mobile guy that can get to the second level too well, but he's dominant at the point of attack and in pass protection, which is what we'll especially need for the monster NTs of the division.  DWI (two) help him fall this far, and I also think teams looking at him as more of a guard help him fall this far.  Bodine has been the weak link on our line and Glasgow helps solidify the entire offensive line.

4.  DeAndre Houston-Carson, S, William and Mary- small school guy that played free safety, but I think we pretty much use strong and free interchangeably, and I love the tenacity he brings to the field and the intensity he plays the game with.  He flies all over the field making plays and he isn't afraid to get physical, which we need an enforcer at safety.  HIs scouting report says he over-pursues and has troubles changing direction, and it didn't say it in the reports, but I think it's because he plays too high, which can be fixed.  He also has great ball skills and can cover man-to-man.  I wanted to wait to take him in the fifth, but I don't think there's any way in hell he makes it that far and the values too much to pass on.  You can't see him being too high in his highlight videos too well, so you might have to look at a full game tape like this one, but he'd be a hell of a steal.

5.  Curt Maggitt, OLB, Tennessee- 6'3, 244......  this dude's a HUGE BEAST!  I get scared just looking at pictures of him!  He sprints all over the field and makes plays like an animal!  Only played in 2 games this season before injury, which allows him to slide this far, but, as a 5th round pick, you're damn right he's worth the risk!  May be a bit lanky to play the traditional SAM role, but I think he can get the job done in the changing, not-so-smash-mouth NFL anymore, plus I think our front four makes life easier on him.  This is a huge steal here and I hope we can get him.  See for yourself.

6.  Mike Jordan, CB, Missouri Western- small school guy flying under the radar, and he's 6'1, 200, so he kind of fits that taller corner model that the league seems to like with the right talent.  He's a hell of a ballhawk and shuts down one side of the field and erases a receiver.  He'll only get better with more development and I think he could be an amazing steal.  Look for yourself and see why I fell in love with the guy.

7.  Quinshad Davis, WR, North Carolina- Tall dude at 6'3 or 6'4, 210 or 220, and he's a solid deep threat, so I say put him in the slot and let him go to work.  He makes contested catches and makes athletic moves to go up and get the ball.  Put him and AJ on opposite sides out wide on the goal line and pick one to throw a jump-ball to.  He can also throw the ball relatively well, making him nice for trick plays.  Sanu?  Bye Felicia.  Check out what I mean and this dude could be a big steal.

Billings might not make it to the second round, but that would be a hell of a draft if he did, and there's other prospects to put there that could still make it a great draft.

Thoughts?

This is a very nice mock Brad and you did a lot of research obviously on all these guys.

So great job.

Thomas and Billings are two of my faves. Might even play that way with the way the WR and DT class is this time.

Love the Glasgow pick, i thought he might be available in the 4th but who really frickin knows.

This Deandre Houston Carson guy is intriguing as i have had no info on the dude. Love the way you went out on a limb. Sounds good.

I like Maggit, like Jordan a lot but...

Just like my Mock i forgot about a pass rusher. We cannot just count on Hunt, Clarke or Hardison to be good. My only discontent.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 10:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is a very nice mock Brad and you did a lot of research obviously on all these guys.

So great job.

Thomas and Billings are two of my faves. Might even play that way with the way the WR and DT class is this time.

Love the Glasgow pick, i thought he might be available in the 4th but who really frickin knows.

This Deandre Houston Carson guy is intriguing as i have had no info on the dude. Love the way you went out on a limb. Sounds good.

I like Maggit, like Jordan a lot but...

Just like my Mock i forgot about a pass rusher. We cannot just count on Hunt, Clarke or Hardison to be good. My only discontent.

Thanks.  

We have a lot of room for luxury, so I didn't want a talent like Glasgow to get taken before we grab him because center's a big weakness for this team.  Bodine at least needs some competition and I didn't want to risk missing Glasgow.

Thomas grows on me each day and I fall more-and-more in love with him.  Billings could help make our front four elite, in my opinion, but you're right about forgetting an end.  I guess I always think that we'll sign a FA or draft a mid-round guy and I don't make the position a premium because I think that we should be in a rotation to where we don't need one guy to dominate.  I guess I do value the position at a premium, just not one player (if that makes sense).

Houston-Carson just stood out to me and I think that we could get a steal in taking him there.
Reply/Quote