Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CRAZY Stat About Our Receivers!
(08-08-2022, 12:10 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Consider how bad our offensive line was and how Burrow was always getting hit or getting pressured and we still were the only team in the NFL to have three receivers record AT LEAST 800 YARDS!

Chase had 1,455, Higgins had 1,091, and Boyd had 828, which I think they could all go for over a thousand yards this season!

Throw in the fact that Mixon was third in the league in rushing behind that horrible line, add in Hurst, and our offense looks pretty damn dangerous for this season!

NFL Network flashed that on their screen, while also talking about our improvements on the line, and it has me getting pretty optimistic about this year!

Nice thread Brad. Yes, this is why if we stay healthy I could see records broken.

Doing that while having a poor OL in front of both Joe's boggles my mind.

I don't know how good this Offense is going to be with good OL play. Could be historical.

(08-08-2022, 08:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It was interesting when we were debating this subject last year at this time.  I had Boyd getting the most receptions but the least yardage.  If teams try to take away the big plays, this year that could be true.  He and Hurst could kill you in 10 yard, high %, receptions but the better line play could also allow for more deep shots/routes.  

Boyd's season was odd.  He had some solid games, but there were some where he was barely involved at all.  One reception against Detroit and the first Cleveland game, and just two in the blowout win over pitt.  I think a big key to this season is for Burrow to continue to just attack the weak spot on the opposing team and not try to force the ball to Chase.  Sure, on big down and distances Chase will be the #1 receiver, and they are going to move him around and possibly even use him out of the backfield, but Boyd, Hurst, Mixon/Evans, and maybe even Sample will be relied upon a great deal to move the chains.  

Honestly I hope this is Boyd's best season so he can go on and get paid big by somebody else. Then maybe Tee doesn't 
have quite as good of a season as everyone predicts and is more affordable for us to extend eh? What is wild about Chase
is that Burrow can hit him short and he can still spin off tackles and take it to the house. He is crazy special.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 05:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice thread Brad. Yes, this is why if we stay healthy I could see records broken.

I don't know how good this Offense is going to be with good OL play. Could be historical.

Not only records but, like I've said before, I could EASILY see Burrow for MVP and I'm going to lay $500 or a grand on it!

(A grand pays out 13,000, which that, along with a grand on us making the Super Bowl [pays out 12 to 1], a grand on winning it [pays out 22 to 1], and a grand on Jahmyr Gibbs winning the Heisman [pays out 20 to 1] was my initial plan but now I'm thinking about maybe just 500 on each because I have 8,500 in Venmo from poker but do I really want to risk that much?)
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 07:01 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Not only records but, like I've said before, I could EASILY see Burrow for MVP and I'm going to lay $500 or a grand on it!

Burrow will be great his entire career, but he may never have a trio of WRs this good ever again.

This could easily be his best chance to win an MVP.

Or should I say "his first" MVP.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 05:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice thread Brad. Yes, this is why if we stay healthy I could see records broken.

Honestly I hope this is Boyd's best season so he can go on and get paid big by somebody else. Then maybe Tee doesn't 
have quite as good of a season as everyone predicts and is more affordable for us to extend eh? What is wild about Chase
is that Burrow can hit him short and he can still spin off tackles and take it to the house. He is crazy special.

Yep, the more I think about the offense's potential, the more excited I become.

I mean, Herbert threw for 5000 yards because his coach opened it up earlier than they did for Burrow.  A full season of Joe in the mode he was down the stretch, with a better line, could be....well, I like your word:  historical.  

I could see games where the Bengals jump out to a big lead and the opposition has to face wave after wave of pass rush "lines" coming off the bench.  The Colts did this for years with Manning.  

Not to be forgotten, but the defense could also be historic.  They were top ten in the league last year in average points allowed per drive.  I believe they were 8th overall.  Paul and Jay on the "Hear That Podcast Growlin" podcast went back to 2018 and they were 31st that year, then I believe the subsequent years went 26th (2019), 21st (2020), and then 8th last year.  They talked about the many pieces added (Dax, Tycen, Carter, and Gunter) combined with injured guys do back (Ossai, Hubert) and a few guys that played through injuries (Hubbard and Wilson) while losing only Ogunjobi, who was already replaced by Hill. 

Combine all that with another year under the same coach's system.  

The synergy of a really tough defense that was hitting on all cylinders in the playoffs getting the ball back to this offense could be, again, historic.  

Damn, just get to the regular season healthy and let's start things off by not only beating, but fricking demoralizing, the steelers week 1.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If he stays healthy, Mixon will have a monster year . . . possibly MVP. I don't really see the passing stats exploding this year. I expect a lot of wins and quite a few of those will be games where Mixon and company will be running out the clock for most of the 4th quarter. This should be the best line that he's ever had in his life.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2022, 10:17 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: If he stays healthy, Mixon will have a monster year . . . possibly MVP. I don't really see the passing stats exploding this year. I expect a lot of wins and quite a few of those will be games where Mixon and company will be running out the clock for most of the 4th quarter. This should be the best line that he's ever had in his life.

I just don't see it Vinyl. In today's NFL you've got to keep your foot on the gas basically the entire game. And the way we'll keep our foot on the gas is with Burrow and Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Hurst, and even Mixon/Evans in the passing game.

Since 2000 there's been exactly 4 RB's win the MVP and 3 of them were 2006 and back. Three of them had 350 area or more carries and several receptions. I just don't see Mixon getting in the 400 touches area.

And another thing even if we are in a position to run the clock out there's 11 in the box on D and we'll be in no hurry to run the ball. It's a 3 yards in a cloud of dust type of thing.

I don't doubt what Mixon's production is up some, more yards per carry. But I doubt his carries go up much. He's like 270 area.

For him to be in the conversation for MVP as you say he'll have to have a MONSTER year, 1800 yards rushing and I just doubt he has that kinda touches.

Perhaps I'm wrong ?
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2022, 02:02 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I just don't see it Vinyl. In today's NFL you've got to keep your foot on the gas basically the entire game. And the way we'll keep our foot on the gas is with Burrow and Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Hurst, and even Mixon/Evans in the passing game.

Since 2000 there's been exactly 4 RB's win the MVP and 3 of them were 2006 and back. Three of them had 350 area or more carries and several receptions. I just don't see Mixon getting in the 400 touches area.

And another thing even if we are in a position to run the clock out there's 11 in the box on D and we'll be in no hurry to run the ball. It's a 3 yards in a cloud of dust type of thing.

I don't doubt what Mixon's production is up some, more yards per carry. But I doubt his carries go up much. He's like 270 area.

For him to be in the conversation for MVP as you say he'll have to have a MONSTER year, 1800 yards rushing and I just doubt he has that kinda touches.

Perhaps I'm wrong ?

I agree that Mixon's YPC will be up and I think part of that is because he'll break more long runs because teams will be so focused on stopping Burrow and our other weapons but I just don't think the AP voters will give it to a running back, especially when we have Burrow and a high powered offense. Even if he breaks a few long runs, he'll be overshadowed by Burrow putting up big points and big numbers. AP voters aren't stupid and they know people will want Burrow just because he's the bigger moneymaker and the fans want the flash of the QB.

It's not fair and Mixon should be a big part of our offense but Burrow's our golden child.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2022, 10:17 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: If he stays healthy, Mixon will have a monster year . . . possibly MVP. I don't really see the passing stats exploding this year. I expect a lot of wins and quite a few of those will be games where Mixon and company will be running out the clock for most of the 4th quarter. This should be the best line that he's ever had in his life.

Mixon will get no consideration for MVP. He would have to have a historical year, and QBs would have to have a bad year. He would have to break the single season record for scrimmage yards and get somewhere between 25-30 TDs. Just for comparison...

Derrick Henry - 2,141 scrimmage yards, 5.4 yards per touch, 17 TDs. Received 0 votes.

Jonathan Taylor - 2,171 scrimmage yards, 5.8 yards per touch, 20 TDs. Received 0 votes. 

Saquon Barkley - 2,028 scrimmage yards, 5.8 yards per touch, 15 TDs. Received 0 votes. 

In order for Mixon to win MVP, he needs at minimum 2,500 yards and 25+ TDs. Oh, just for further reference, the guy who actually had a season similar to that?

Chris Johnson - 2,509 yards, 6.1 yards per touch, 16 TDs. Received 0 votes. 

I think Mixon will have a fantastic year, but he has no chance of winning MVP, especially on a team that has Joe Burrow on it. 
Reply/Quote

I can see what you mean.

With an improved OL, the entire offense should be more consistent.
And with that, the Bengals should hopefully be able to get a lead earlier and then look to run more later in games.
Mixon (and Perine?) can help drain that clock to maintain that lead.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 07:01 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Not only records but, like I've said before, I could EASILY see Burrow for MVP and I'm going to lay $500 or a grand on it!

(A grand pays out 13,000, which that, along with a grand on us making the Super Bowl [pays out 12 to 1], a grand on winning it [pays out 22 to 1], and a grand on Jahmyr Gibbs winning the Heisman [pays out 20 to 1] was my initial plan but now I'm thinking about maybe just 500 on each because I have 8,500 in Venmo from poker but do I really want to risk that much?)

If I had the dough I would bet on Burrow for MVP, as Fred said he may not ever have this many weapons this good.

Mixon for most yards and TD's I think would be another safe bet if this OL stays healthy. All the guys we brought in are 
very good technically sound run blockers and Mixon was 3rd in the league last year with crap in front of him.

(08-09-2022, 08:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yep, the more I think about the offense's potential, the more excited I become.

I mean, Herbert threw for 5000 yards because his coach opened it up earlier than they did for Burrow.  A full season of Joe in the mode he was down the stretch, with a better line, could be....well, I like your word:  historical.  

I could see games where the Bengals jump out to a big lead and the opposition has to face wave after wave of pass rush "lines" coming off the bench.  The Colts did this for years with Manning.  

Not to be forgotten, but the defense could also be historic.  They were top ten in the league last year in average points allowed per drive.  I believe they were 8th overall.  Paul and Jay on the "Hear That Podcast Growlin" podcast went back to 2018 and they were 31st that year, then I believe the subsequent years went 26th (2019), 21st (2020), and then 8th last year.  They talked about the many pieces added (Dax, Tycen, Carter, and Gunter) combined with injured guys do back (Ossai, Hubert) and a few guys that played through injuries (Hubbard and Wilson) while losing only Ogunjobi, who was already replaced by Hill. 

Combine all that with another year under the same coach's system.  

The synergy of a really tough defense that was hitting on all cylinders in the playoffs getting the ball back to this offense could be, again, historic.  

Damn, just get to the regular season healthy and let's start things off by not only beating, but fricking demoralizing, the steelers week 1.  

All of this and don't forget ADG on Defense, I think he could have a breakout year and he hasn't been mentioned much.

The game finally started to slow down for him last season right before the injury.

Yes, lets start things off by taking the steelers head week 1. Run the ball down their throats. They ignored this weakness.

All the while we added the guys to run it down their throats.

Then stop the run on Defense and get after whatever QB gets the start. Hope it is Biscuit and we thrash him with Sam and Trey.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2022, 03:58 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Mixon will get no consideration for MVP. He would have to have a historical year, and QBs would have to have a bad year. He would have to break the single season record for scrimmage yards and get somewhere between 25-30 TDs. Just for comparison...

Derrick Henry - 2,141 scrimmage yards, 5.4 yards per touch, 17 TDs. Received 0 votes.

Jonathan Taylor - 2,171 scrimmage yards, 5.8 yards per touch, 20 TDs. Received 0 votes. 

Saquon Barkley - 2,028 scrimmage yards, 5.8 yards per touch, 15 TDs. Received 0 votes. 

In order for Mixon to win MVP, he needs at minimum 2,500 yards and 25+ TDs. Oh, just for further reference, the guy who actually had a season similar to that?

Chris Johnson - 2,509 yards, 6.1 yards per touch, 16 TDs. Received 0 votes. 

I think Mixon will have a fantastic year, but he has no chance of winning MVP, especially on a team that has Joe Burrow on it. 

I see your point, but their teams didn't do shit. This should be a dominant team and very few teams will be going in with the game plan to stop Mixon until they have to and by then it should be too late.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2022, 07:31 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I see your point, but their teams didn't do shit. This should be a dominant team and very few teams will be going in with the game plan to stop Mixon until they have to and by then it should be too late.

That’s another thing. If Cincinnati is going to be as good as you think they are, it is essentially impossible for Mixon to win MVP because of Joe Burrow. QBs make teams successful, not RBs. Or, rarely RBs. There are exceptions, like Adrian Peterson.

Mixon isn’t that exception. Not because he can’t be, necessarily, but because he won’t be - he isn’t the focus. Burrow and the passing game is. I think he will have a very good season, but he won’t hear a whisper of MVP talk.
Reply/Quote
Mixon might have a huge season. In fact he SHOULD have a huge season. I have always been a big fan of Mixon so I am looking forward to it.

But the only way he gets any notice for MVP is if Burrow goes down with injury and Mixon carries us to the playoffs with 2300+ yards from scrimmage and 20+ tds.
Reply/Quote

I don't know if I agree or disagree, but just the fact that we can say this feels good. I don't remember ever thinking (or hearing anybody say), "I think Rudi/Gio/Hill can win MVP this year." So we're clearly in a new era. Yeah, feels pretty damn good lol 
Reply/Quote