Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CTE Solution To Prevent The End Of The NFL?
(08-08-2017, 12:41 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Im getting pretty sick and tired of hearing about CTE.

I can see how some of the players previously associated with the NFL are disgruntled or upset with the league because they thought the NFL was hiding something when it comes to CTE and brain damage...

BUT

If you are a current player then you know damn well the dangers of playing football. Its not the NFLs problem anymore, its the players problem. If they dont want brain damage or CTE, then dont play. Its that simple. I dont have any sympathy for these guys. They are now informed and know the risks.

is that why the NFL has drastically reduced contact practices, and practices in general? seems like the NFL thinks it has horse in the race.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It is the NFL's problem like workplace injuries and hazards are the problem of all employers. You can accept the risks of a dangerous job in any walk of life, however it is the employers responsibility to attempt to make it as safe as possible. Right now the NFL is working to make it safer, if they stop and say it is what it is they are open to more lawsuits. They don't have to make it safe, but they have to try and make it as safe as possible.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 12:57 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: is that why the NFL has drastically reduced contact practices, and practices in general? seems like the NFL thinks it has horse in the race.

No. Reducing contact has Zero to do with CTe. It was for veteran players. It's too bad it's killing younger players development.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 11:32 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I was thinking more of a public outcry or the law getting involved or something like that.

As far as CTE, that doesn't make much sense to me because they do brain scans on people to find traumatic brain injuries.

I think that NFL players should be allowed to smoke lots of weed since weed grows back missing brain cells and heals damaged parts.
But some brain damage would be visible, and if it's bad enough to be visible, then it should obviously call to stop a player's career.

I'll admit that I don't have much knowledge of CTE, but it seems like it would have to start in edges of the brain from banging against the skull and then it spreads to the rest of the brain, so you wouldn't be able to see where it spreads, but you would be able to see the initial damage.

I agree but I'm thinking the public outcry might get to be too much or that the government might step in.

http://m.alz.org/chronic-traumatic-encephalopathy-cte-symptoms.asp#Diagnosis

The technology to scan a brain for signs of CTE doesn't exist. It is only diagnosed by using a brain tissue sample prepared in a specific way to demonstrate abnormal protein deposition when examined with a microscope. The brain tissue sample comes from their autopsy. That's why there isn't a test or scan currently available to diagnose a person with CTE while living.

Because there isn't a test available to diagnose a living person with CTE the NFL uses that to their advantage to down play the incidence, prevalence, and risks of CTE similarly to how they treated concussions in the past.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 01:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: No. Reducing contact has Zero to do with CTe. It was for veteran players. It's too bad it's killing younger players development.

The new practice rules were meant to reduce the number of injuries, including the head injuries which lead to CTE. Easily verified with a quick Google search.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 09:45 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Isn't the NFL like a $10b industry? Yeah, that isn't going anywhere.

Not to mention that they will never lack people who want to make at MINIMUM $465,000/yr, and up to $25m/yr to risk their body.

Honestly I think it's kind of ridiculous about how much news coverage the long term health of millionaires, who made choices as adults to risk their bodies for large sums of money, gets.

Privates risk TBIs for a lot less. Boxers have suffered from dementia pugilistica for longer than the NFL has been around.
Reply/Quote
Put the hold harmless verbiage in the contracts and be done with it. If you want the big paycheck it is at your own risk. If we stop football for CTE - then guess we better stop most sports all together and we can all sit around with our multimedia devices having our brains turned to jello by a plasma screen. Nobody sentences these guys into playing football.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 01:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: No.  Reducing contact has Zero to do with CTe.  It was for veteran players.    It's too bad it's killing younger players development.

If you say so.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 09:45 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Isn't the NFL like a $10b industry? Yeah, that isn't going anywhere.

Not to mention that they will never lack people who want to make at MINIMUM $465,000/yr, and up to $25m/yr to risk their body.

Honestly I think it's kind of ridiculous about how much news coverage the long term health of millionaires, who made choices as adults to risk their bodies for large sums of money, gets.

It's to educate parents and kids about it. By the time you're in the NFL, you're committed/fully aware/no excuses. Personally, after reading more into this, my son won't play much more football.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 12:38 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I figured that there would eventually (if there's not already) a bunch of groups protesting the NFL for being violent and causing this type of long-term brain trauma.

Yes, they can see damage, I know personally because I've seen my own brain scans.

Brain damage in football injuries is caused by the brain slamming against the skull, which damages the outer parts, which would be visible in brain scans.

CTE is when it begins to spread to other parts of the brain, so you might not be able to see the inner brain where the damage has spread to, but you can see the initial damage.

Brad, this is typically the part of the thread where you try to connect two things that don't connect because you don't fully understand why they don't connect. 

Just take it for granted that if it was possible to detect in a live human...professionals in the medical field would be doing it. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 01:51 PM)BengalD Wrote: Put the hold harmless verbiage in the contracts and be done with it. If you want the big paycheck it is at your own risk. If we stop football for CTE - then guess we better stop most sports all together and we can all sit around with our multimedia devices having our brains turned to jello by a plasma screen. Nobody sentences these guys into playing football.

You can't waiver away workplace hazards, employers have a responsibility to provide a safe workplace. I already addressed this, but they have to make an effort to continue to make their working environment safer within reason, which they have to this point. The NFL also must lead the way because as you go down levels it is even tougher to waiver things away when there are minors involved. The NFL needs to get in front of this in order to keep their pipeline of talent available, and their free farm system up and running.
Reply/Quote
A lot of jobs come with health risks.

But the NFL players are paid considerably more plus more glamorous than most other high risk jobs.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The only way you are going to eliminate CTE or I should say limit it is if take head to head contact away from the game. I am not just talking about big hits in fact it's more about the every play hits that offensive lineman go through every play.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 12:53 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You are being quite ignorant. 

Your doctor didnt scan you for CTE. He scanned you for brain damage. There is a difference.

CTE can ONLY be diagnosed right now through AUTOPSY. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-team/new-brain-scan-leap-cte-research-article-1.2636640

lol.

You throw out the insult and say I'm being ignorant.

Obviously, I wasn't sure about it because I don't have extensive knowledge on the subject and was just looking for discussion.

Isn't that the purpose of message boards?
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 03:21 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Isn't that the purpose of message boards?

The issue was you wanted to argue with people about it when everyone was telling you that it was commonly accepted scientific knowledge there was no way to scan for it currently.
Reply/Quote
 There will be no public outcry on the issue, all you have to do is look at NFL stadiums and tv revenues to see that there is no outcry, people want NFL football. They were talking about this on Ross Tucker's show the other day. What is known about concussions and CTE, is that it is most often not one injury, but a succession of injuries. The plan being most talked about is doing away with youth football, and not letting kids play until the high school level to do away with hits on the head in youngsters. Also, Ross said he expects to see more and more players that get to the NFL get to their second contract, which is where they get the life changing money, play out 3-4 years of said contract, and retire. To me, that is the solution that makes the most sense, get the money and get out before you get the extensive damage, whether it be to knees, brain, whatever....
Reply/Quote
It's okay. The NFL is on top of it with its "one helmet per player" rule.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 04:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote:  There will be no public outcry on the issue, all you have to do is look at NFL stadiums and tv revenues to see that there is no outcry, people want NFL football. They were talking about this on Ross Tucker's show the other day. What is known about concussions and CTE, is that it is most often not one injury, but a succession of injuries. The plan being most talked about is doing away with youth football, and not letting kids play until the high school level to do away with hits on the head in youngsters. Also, Ross said he expects to see more and more players that get to the NFL get to their second contract, which is where they get the life changing money, play out 3-4 years of said contract, and retire. To me, that is the solution that makes the most sense, get the money and get out before you get the extensive damage, whether it be to knees, brain, whatever....

I think the rookie wage scale will be scrapped in the next CBA. With guys playing shorter careers, especially with the devaluation of running backs, they will want more money in contract #1.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 03:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: The issue was you wanted to argue with people about it when everyone was telling you that it was commonly accepted scientific knowledge there was no way to scan for it currently.

I'm pretty sure I was just asking questions in a debate, that's what a discussion is.

You're further proving your bias.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 05:43 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm pretty sure I was just asking questions in a debate, that's what a discussion is.

You're further proving your bias.

There is no debate, so I don't seem to understand what you thought you were debating. You kept trying to argue something that isn't debatable. The answer to your initial question was "No, you can not see any signs of CTE in scans we have today". You proceeded to argue that point with multiple people when it was in fact an understood fact. You tried reasoning it out in relation to your issues as people continued to simply tell you the actual facts around the issue.

There is no bias, you just don't like to be told you're wrong.
Reply/Quote