Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cal Adomitis re-signed
And they said the Bengals wouldn’t be able to keep all of their star players…

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-roster-moves-cal-adomitis-long-snapper-signed
Reply/Quote
That's good news. He did a steady job.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'd imagine consistency with the special teams players is an advantage. I like that he's returning.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 01:52 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'd imagine consistency with the special teams players is an advantage. I like that he's returning.

Hopefully he holds the job as well as Harris did, for over 14 years.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Cal is sporting the Bengals camo.

Reply/Quote
Good news. We know what happens when a snapper doesn't quite perform the way they should.
Reply/Quote
Good news alright.

I like Cal for the future. Not every team can go from their best Long Snapper of all time like we had in CH to the
hopefully next greatest like this. LS is so underrated, if this guy doesn't do his job right he can lose your team games.
Reply/Quote
I wonder if $$$-Mac's miscues were just growing pains from not having Harris and Hueber? It seemed like towards the end of the year Adomitis and Chrisman started clicking, so I'm happy t hear we won't be changing things up.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 04:28 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: I wonder if $$$-Mac's miscues were just growing pains from not having Harris and Hueber?  It seemed like towards the end of the year Adomitis and Chrisman started clicking, so I'm happy t hear we won't be changing things up.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McPhEv00.htm

Statistically Mac’s numbers were not much different last year from the prior year outside of he didn’t get as many 50yd attempts. Obviously not as many game winners this year. 
Reply/Quote
Poor Clark.. Now he'll have to get foodstamps to make ends meet.. On the other hand he probably saved a few bucks from his playing days. I'd probably be set for life with a single season of league minimum to go with social security and what I make in my woodshop..Then again I don't exactly live in your typical NFL player's type of McMansion or have a typical NFL player's eye candy female to support.. My eye candy is 73 and has worked at the same job from home for over 45 years..  Ninja
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
End of a special teams era in Cincinnati. Both Huber and Harris leaving this team in the same off season.

Hopefully, we find another 10+ year punter in this upcoming draft (It isn't Chrisman) and return to form on special teams for the next 10+ years.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 04:58 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: End of a special teams era in Cincinnati. Both Huber and Harris leaving this team in the same off season.

Hopefully, we find another 10+ year punter in this upcoming draft (It isn't Chrisman) and return to form on special teams for the next 10+ years.

Christman may just have a great 2nd season or have you predetermined it's impossible and he has no future in kicking balls at all?  I know..Let him kick your balls and let's see how you feel afterwards. If you don't fly 79 yards backwards straight to the 1 yardline from the 10 on the opposite end of the field we'll assume you are correct.. Make it the 1 yardline on the opposite end just to be safe. ThumbsUp

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 05:19 PM)grampahol Wrote: Christman may just have a great 2nd season or have you predetermined it's impossible and he has no future in kicking balls at all?  I know..Let him kick your balls and let's see how you feel afterwards. If you don't fly ten feet backwards we'll assume you are correct..  ThumbsUp

Hope is not a plan. Maybe Chrisman goes from one of the worst punters in the NFL to one of the best in a single off season, but I'm not counting on it. 
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 05:22 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Hope is not a plan. Maybe Chrisman goes from one of the worst punters in the NFL to one of the best in a single off season, but I'm not counting on it. 

Hoping the next guy isn't exactly a sure fire bet either.. I want an absolute iron clad guarantee with absolutely zero chance of injury or any possible backslide.. I'm not asking for much.

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 05:25 PM)grampahol Wrote: Hoping the next guy isn't exactly a sure fire bet either.. I want an absolute iron clad guarantee with absolutely zero chance of injury or any possible backslide.. I'm not asking for much.

you're trying to draw a false equivalency. 

Keeping Drue Chrisman on the roster, a punter with one of the worst punt hang times in the entire NFL and an average leg in the best of times, and just hoping he figures out how to kick it higher and longer isn't a plan, it's just blind optimism.

Drafting a player who has shown that they can punt in college, statistically showing the ability to get the ball high enough into the air that he doesn't outpunt his coverage while still driving it 50 to 55 yards down the field on a consistent basis (Ideally with the ability to punt directionally too to keep the ball out of the end zone on shorter punts) isn't "hope." It's just drafting a player that has shown they can do the things you want them to do and planning on them doing it in the NFL as well.

You can "Hope" they develop into an NFL player, but the projection for a punter is much easier than many other positions in the NFL because it's a relatively factor independent role on the team (especially relative to the other starters).

By your logic, we should just cancel the draft entirely.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 04:38 PM)hoosierbengal Wrote: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McPhEv00.htm

Statistically Mac’s numbers were not much different last year from the prior year outside of he didn’t get as many 50yd attempts. Obviously not as many game winners this year. 

For me it's more about the context of the numbers with McPherson.

3 of his 5 FG misses in 2021 were in Week 4 and 5. As a rookie you can understand an early rough patch. In the 15 games after Week 5 he went 37/39 on FGs. On the whole year he went 52/54 on PATs.

There just was never a stretch of the season where McPherson seemed quite as automatic and comfortable. The PATs really were a problem, he had the 4th worst PAT% in the league in 2022 and then missed one in the postseason too.

He had a missed kick in 7 of 19 games in 2022. 5 of 20 games in 2021.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 05:40 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: you're trying to draw a false equivalency. 

Keeping Drue Chrisman on the roster, a punter with one of the worst punt hang times in the entire NFL and an average leg in the best of times, and just hoping he figures out how to kick it higher and longer isn't a plan, it's just blind optimism.

Drafting a player who has shown that they can punt in college, statistically showing the ability to get the ball high enough into the air that he doesn't outpunt his coverage while still driving it 50 to 55 yards down the field on a consistent basis (Ideally with the ability to punt directionally too to keep the ball out of the end zone on shorter punts) isn't "hope." It's just drafting a player that has shown they can do the things you want them to do and planning on them doing it in the NFL as well.

You can "Hope" they develop into an NFL player, but the projection for a punter is much easier than many other positions in the NFL because it's a relatively factor independent role on the team (especially relative to the other starters).

Or consequently just kill off anyone who doesn't live up to your standards. Hey. I'm easy.. Go for it! 

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 09:52 PM)grampahol Wrote: Or consequently just kill off anyone who doesn't live up to your standards. Hey. I'm easy.. Go for it! 

Okay, I understand now.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 05:40 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: you're trying to draw a false equivalency. 

Punter should definitely be on our minds late in this Draft. Wasn't impressed with Chrisman at all this season or in the post.

The only hope I have at Punter is that we don't NEED one often but it sure is nice to have a good one once in a while to help 
you out in big situations in games. A great Punt can win you a game late and a bad one can lose it for you as we have seen at 
times lately.

(02-22-2023, 07:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: For me it's more about the context of the numbers with McPherson.

3 of his 5 FG misses in 2021 were in Week 4 and 5. As a rookie you can understand an early rough patch. In the 15 games after Week 5 he went 37/39 on FGs. On the whole year he went 52/54 on PATs.

There just was never a stretch of the season where McPherson seemed quite as automatic and comfortable. The PATs really were a problem, he had the 4th worst PAT% in the league in 2022 and then missed one in the postseason too.

He had a missed kick in 7 of 19 games in 2022. 5 of 20 games in 2021.

Saw the same thing with Evan, he wasn't Money Mac this season near like he was last year and especially in the Playoffs.

Missing so many Extra Points was particularly aggravating and there is no excuse for these.

Being more familiar with Adomitis and Chrisman or a new Punter/Holder could help, we will see what we do here. ST's are big
and they were actually poor for us last season.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 02:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Punter should definitely be on our minds late in this Draft. Wasn't impressed with Chrisman at all this season or in the post.

The only hope I have at Punter is that we don't NEED one often but it sure is nice to have a good one once in a while to help 
you out in big situations in games. A great Punt can win you a game late and a bad one can lose it for you as we have seen at 
times lately.

Saw the same thing with Evan, he wasn't Money Mac this season near like he was last year and especially in the Playoffs.

Missing so many Extra Points was particularly aggravating and there is no excuse for these.

Being more familiar with Adomitis and Chrisman or a new Punter/Holder could help, we will see what we do here. ST's are big
and they were actually poor for us last season.

Meanwhile, Fat Randy went 18 for 18 on PATs...
Reply/Quote