Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calijah Kancey
I was having a hard time searching, but went through three pages and didn’t see anything. If I’m the bengals, and he is available, he would be my pick. We struggle, at times, to bring pressure. This guy profiles out to be a game wrecker at the next level. While he is undersized, he could be a situational DT to bring pressure up the middle. His production at college has been great and he would instantly boost our pass rush.

His comps are John Randle, Aaron Donald and Warren Sapp.

Player Bio
The first-team All-Florida pick from Miami Northwestern High School redshirted his first year with the Panthers, playing in one game with no statistics. He played in all 11 games of the 2020 season, starting the final four contests (27 tackles, seven for loss with 1.5 sacks, two pass breakups). Kancey garnered third-team Associated Press All-American and first-team All-ACC honors as a sophomore with a team-high 13 tackles for loss (with seven sacks among 35 total tackles) in 14 starts. He was a first-team AP All-American and ACC Defensive Player of the Year as a junior, as well as a finalist for the Nagurski and Outland Trophies after leading the Panthers with 14.5 tackles for loss with 7.5 sacks in 11 starts (31 total stops). Kancey missed the final two games of the year with a shoulder injury. -- by Chad Reuter

Analysis
By Lance Zierlein - NFL Analyst
NFL Comparison- John Randle

Overview
Undersized, one-gapping defensive tackle who is explosive and productive. He’s a strong and determined player, but Kancey is still going to be a hit-or-miss run defender due to his lack of mass and length. While he will get pushed around at times, his first-step quickness and short memory allow him to make tackles in the backfield. He’s a nightmare for offenses as a pass rusher. His twitchy feet can slide and reset points of attack. His leverage and motor are often too much for guards to handle alone. Kancey might be most effective as a rotational run defender and full-time, sub-package rusher, but his size will not define him in the NFL.

Strengths
Posted 14.5 sacks and 27.5 tackles for loss in two years as a full-time starter.
Combination of first-step burst and contact balance stands out.
Captures easy wins against leaning interior blockers.
Excellent change-of-direction quickness and reactive athleticism.
Terror in the pocket as a pass rusher.
Laser-sharp focus on fastest possible way into the pocket.
Slide speed to start at B-gap and finish rush in the opposite A-gap.
Forward-charging attack eventually finds an edge or angle to exploit.
Gets to quarterbacks with a top-flight closing kick.

Weaknesses
Lacks prototypical size.
Big guards can latch in and end the rush at times if he’s not first off the snap.
Lack of length shows up if he can’t get to a rush edge.
Ducks head into blockers, losing sight of run play development.
Fails to mirror lateral steps; gets reached and sealed by athletic blockers
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He's at the top of my list in terms of who I want that I think could realistically be available (at least within the realm of possibility. I've seen some mock drafts with him in the top 15). The only person I would take over him at this point is Darnell Wright.
Reply/Quote
As I said in another thread Clijah Klancey is an interesting prospect because there has never been a successful DT with under 31' arms and Klancey is st 30 5/8ths. Before anyone says it doesnt matter it does alot the defensive line job is to create space between him and the offensive lineman. Picking Klancey at #28 would be betting on a rotational one of a kind player.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote