Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calitro Out and Covington In
Interesting move as it tells me Covington probably makes this team at D line so I wonder who is out now.

Reply/Quote
Who and for who?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 02:54 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Who and for who?

Calitro was a depth backer we picked up who was actually a solid player, but with all the drafted linebackers he wasn't going to make it.

Christian Covington is a DT/DE who spot started for Dallas last year for 6 games before signing with the Broncos this year. I believe he actually played for the Texans before that with Reader.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 02:55 PM)Au165 Wrote: Calitro was a depth backer we picked up who was actually a solid player, but with all the drafted linebackers he wasn't going to make it.

Christian Covington is a DT/DE who spot started for Dallas last year for 6 games before signing with the Broncos this year. I believe he actually played for the Texans before that with Reader.

Wow. Props to this coaching staff and front office. they just don't stop looking for ways to mke us better. Not content to stand pat. Is this really our Bengals? 

Covington is just what we needed right now with Toupo and Wren out. I have to wonder if Reader helped us target him. Film on Covington.

Now, is there a guy named Newport we can sign?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Looks like a good trade to me. I remember Covington from back when he was drafted. He's gotten significantly bigger in the pros. Otherwise we were poised to keep somebody like Akinmoludun/Bledsoe/Brown, none of whom are great.
Reply/Quote
Whoo! (not, "Woo," but more of the sound that Boris {Alan Cumming} does in Goldeneye)

Not only happy because we share the same first name, but he is ACTUALLY a solid player and a worthy piece.

Excellent! Big Grin

Edit* AND he's Canadian! Big Grin
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Can't say I know either guy to have an opinion, but I'll trust the Bengals on this one.
Reply/Quote
some salary information

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
We needed another DT, linebackers we have....
Reply/Quote
A trade. Nice. Teams seem to like Calitro. I thought he was a better long term prospect for the team then Bynes. But they got something for him so props for that.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 03:15 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Whoo! (not, "Woo," but more of the sound that Boris {Alan Cumming} does in Goldeneye)

Not only happy because we share the same first name, but he is ACTUALLY a solid player and a worthy piece.

Excellent! Big Grin

Is he going to have a post SB commercial where he dances in the super market and slams a pound of bacon on the floor? Let's hope so. 

Reply/Quote
Solid move. I like it
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 03:55 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Solid move. I like it

I'll take "Things people say in the morning on the crapper" for $200 Alex.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 02:55 PM)Au165 Wrote: Calitro was a depth backer we picked up who was actually a solid player, but with all the drafted linebackers he wasn't going to make it.

Appreciate the info, sounds like a smart move.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 03:15 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Whoo! (not, "Woo," but more of the sound that Boris {Alan Cumming} does in Goldeneye)

Excellent! Big Grin

Well there went the neighborhood  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Reader probably recommended him. We needed another big body.
Reply/Quote
Seems like a solid trade.

Jordan Evans' odds of making the roster just went up which is nice. I always thought he had a high ceiling. The problem is his low floor. If he could learn a bit from Bynes, who knows. Maybe he could make use of his great physical tools.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 03:58 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I'll take "Things people say in the morning on the crapper" for $200 Alex.

Hilarious Awesome!
Reply/Quote
Well, both guys are depth pieces, but we had/have more of a need at DT. Beyond Atkins, Reader, and Daniels we did not have an established NFL DT, only undrafted FAs (Dishon), FAs (McKenzie), or DEs who can maybe play inside some (Hubbard, Brown, Kareem, Bledsoe).

I thought Calitro would make the team as the 6th LB, or be a protected PS guy at worst. It was between him & Evans, with Evans' injury I thought Calitro was ahead. Good special teams guy. But Evans does have better physical tools.

I think Covington makes the team as the 8th DL/4th DT type. I'd be surprised if we kept more than 9 DL, and 8 wouldn't shock me given the 16 man PS and more seemingly NFL quality players at other spots (WR, CB, S).
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 03:39 PM)Sled21 Wrote: We needed another DT, linebackers we have....

Quality depth is so much more important on the D-line.  We use only 2 LBs on almost 70% of our snaps.  Plus 300+ lb guys get tired and need a rotation while LBs can pretty much play every down if they need to.

So even though I don't know much about either player it seems like a good move to me.

I am almost always a fan of "a bit of the old in-out".
Reply/Quote