Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calitro Out and Covington In
(09-04-2020, 06:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Quality depth is so much more important on the D-line.  We use only 2 LBs on almost 70% of our snaps.  Plus 300+ lb guys get tired and need a rotation while LBs can pretty much play every down if they need to.

So even though I don't know much about either player it seems like a good move to me.

I am almost always a fan of "a bit of the old in-out".
When I 1st. heard the name I thought Scott Covington the QB from way back when..and then It clicked and I recall this guy had some flash at times watching him on Dallas and Denver. Looks like a good move and Reader would  likely have provided the intel needed to pull the trigger
Reply/Quote
Dude has some serious arms!
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 05:45 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Well, both guys are depth pieces, but we had/have more of a need at DT. Beyond Atkins, Reader, and Daniels we did not have an established NFL DT, only undrafted FAs (Dishon), FAs (McKenzie), or DEs who can maybe play inside some (Hubbard, Brown, Kareem, Bledsoe).

I thought Calitro would make the team as the 6th LB, or be a protected PS guy at worst. It was between him & Evans, with Evans' injury I thought Calitro was ahead. Good special teams guy. But Evans does have better physical tools.

I think Covington makes the team as the 8th DL/4th DT type. I'd be surprised if we kept more than 9 DL, and 8 wouldn't shock me given the 16 man PS and more seemingly NFL quality players at other spots (WR, CB, S).

They need a backup at edge still so they might keep 10.  Their loaded at interior pass rusher though.
Right now it looks like 
9 DL
6 LB 
11 DB with Wayne's going on IR
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
"Linebacker" has become sort of a fuzzy definition of a position. We will see guys as different as Shawn Williams and Carl Lawson both taking snaps at "linebacker".
Reply/Quote
I like it, nice move. Needed a run stopper to back up Reader. Much younger than Peko too.

Well done once again 2020 Bengals. Wink
Reply/Quote
8.5 sacks in 15 starts. Covington sounds more like a pass rushing 3-tech.

Love the trade just wondering how good of a run stopper Covington is....
Reply/Quote