Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Callahan Says Burrow is Becoming Like A Coach!
Whenever I think it's impossible for Burrow to further impress me and convince me of his future GOAT status, he one-ups himself.

Brian Callahan is saying that, entering year four, Burrow has become like a coach on the field.

Quote:"It's fun for me this year with Burrow it's been, we get to these meetings and we watch 7-on-7 together," Callahan said. "Joe almost coaches those guys, he's very clear on what he expects from certain routes, where he wants guys to be the timing that it happens. It's really fun to listen to him explain to everybody what he wants. So when he's making a coaching point to Irv Smith. At some point, all the tight ends are supposed to hear that."

I know that, in 7-on-7 drills, you pretty much learn the receiver's tendencies and know when they're going to break, which being on the same page is a reason why Burrow and Chase are so effective, but Burrow flat-out telling receivers where he wants and expects them to be is amazing,

It will make our offense a well-oiled machine and be so much more difficult to stop because you have defensive backs trying to cover some of the best athletes in the world and it's basically just them trying to guess what a receiver will do.

I also love how it's rubbing off on young guys because they'll try and copy everything that Chase does and they'll also be on the same page as Burrow:

Quote:"When he's talking to Ja'Marr (Chase) about something all those young receivers are gonna hear it. And so, that part's really fun because he's got mastery over our system now, which is a really cool thing to watch him grow in that and be able to almost become more like a coach."

That also has to inspire the rest of the team because they know that, with a quarterback that's this much of a perfectionist and putting in this much work, they have to be on their A game or risk letting Burrow and the rest of the team down.

Quote:He's the most accurate quarterback in NFL history, so Burrow doesn't have a ton of mechanical things to improve as he keeps working on the endless amount of football knowledge a star quarterback can build on.

Give him protection and receivers that he can count on and he'll dominate.

It's a new and incredible era in The Jungle.
Reply/Quote
And it’s why comparisons to Joe Montana and Tom Brady. I think they were cerebral. He also reminds me of Johnny Unitas. In our other thread discussion is Mahomes vs Burrow. One difference between the two is that Joe seems more deliberate than Patrick and maybe reads the defense better pre-snap. Johnny Unitas was the best pre-snap.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
He’s got gravity

Dudes want to run routes precisely when you got a guy you know can hit you with perfect timing.
He demands success. As long as Burrow is the QB we don’t have to worry about team chemistry. If you go against Burrow your ass is done. That’s simple. Was the same for Manning, Brady and all GOAT QBs.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2023, 01:21 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: And it’s why comparisons to Joe Montana and Tom Brady. I think they were cerebral. He also reminds me of Johnny Unitas. In our other thread discussion is Mahomes vs Burrow. One difference between the two is that Joe seems more deliberate than Patrick and maybe reads the defense better pre-snap. Johnny Unitas was the best pre-snap.
I meant to mention Brady how he pretty much was the offensive coordinator by the end of his career and was calling his own plays, which I'd love if we get to that point because I don't think Burrow would abuse the power and still take calls from Callahan. He could obviously change the calls at the line whenever he'd see something he didn't like, which is somewhere I think we're heading with giving Burrow a few plays and letting him make the calls at the line when he sees how the defense is lined up.
(06-27-2023, 02:01 PM)Housh Wrote: He’s got gravity

Dudes want to run routes precisely when you got a guy you know can hit you with perfect timing.
He demands success. As long as Burrow is the QB we don’t have to worry about team chemistry. If you go against Burrow your ass is done. That’s simple. Was the same for Manning, Brady and all GOAT QBs.

Hell yeah he has gravity! I'd take a bullet for him!

Hilarious

I'm loving that players around the league will see this and be drawn to him and want to come here to play for him because they know he'll win. Good players are leaders but also want to a leader like Burrow because it makes them and every other player step up their game.

I'm not comparing his skills to Jordan but it reminds me of how Jordan always demanded perfection but nothing that HE wouldn't do and it inspired players, but Burrow isn't as harsh about it, which I think is better for the team because there's 50+ other guys instead of just the 12 or whatever NBA rosters were.

WHO-DEY!
Reply/Quote
That is the insane part, Burrow is on the cusp of what he can accomplish. The sky is the limit with him, and he now has valuable
experience against the best. Great leader and a coach on the field and as Callahan says, the most accurate QB ever. Awesome to
have this guy as the Bengals QB and this is a major understatement. The addition of Orlando Brown Jr on his blind side is just a
perfect fit. Orlando's game fits Joe's game to a T. He won't have to pass protect near as long as he did with Lamar and Pat.
Reply/Quote
I remember before he was drafted Coach O (LSU) said He, the OC, some other coaches, and Joe were in a meeting. Said it took them about 5 minutes realize JB was the smartest guy in the room. It's why they changed to 5-man protection his Senior Year.

WTS, it most likely comes from his dad. Maybe we could knock a little of JB's contract if we made pops a good offer to join the staff.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2023, 02:14 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I meant to mention Brady how he pretty much was the offensive coordinator by the end of his career and was calling his own plays, which I'd love if we get to that point because I don't think Burrow would abuse the power and still take calls from Callahan. He could obviously change the calls at the line whenever he'd see something he didn't like, which is somewhere I think we're heading with giving Burrow a few plays and letting him make the calls at the line when he sees how the defense is lined up.

Hell yeah he has gravity! I'd take a bullet for him!

Hilarious

I'm loving that players around the league will see this and be drawn to him and want to come here to play for him because they know he'll win. Good players are leaders but also want to a leader like Burrow because it makes them and every other player step up their game.

I'm not comparing his skills to Jordan but it reminds me of how Jordan always demanded perfection but nothing that HE wouldn't do and it inspired players, but Burrow isn't as harsh about it, which I think is better for the team because there's 50+ other guys instead of just the 12 or whatever NBA rosters were.

WHO-DEY!
He doesn’t have to be harsh.

Run routes and catch like he wants you to or your ass won’t get thrown the ball lol

Basketball is different because you could be the worst dude ever and still touch the ball. Football really if your QB doesn’t like you he could theoretically freeze you out the game and it won’t even look like he’s doing it on purpose if he’s good enough
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2023, 05:15 PM)Housh Wrote: He doesn’t have to be harsh.

Run routes and catch like he wants you to or your ass won’t get thrown the ball lol

Basketball is different because you could be the worst dude ever and still touch the ball. Football really if your QB doesn’t like you he could theoretically freeze you out the game and it won’t even look like he’s doing it on purpose if he’s good enough

I agree.

I think the difference between Burrow and Jordan is that players didn't want to disappoint Jordan for fear that he'd rip them a new one but players don't want to disappoint Burrow out of fear of letting down since he's so good and such a good leader.
Reply/Quote
Isn't it funny how now that we have Burrow, the AFC has become a QB arms race with just about every good QB in our conference, while the NFC has Hurts and just about squat.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2023, 05:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: WTS, it most likely comes from his dad. Maybe we could knock a little of JB's contract if we made pops a good offer to join the staff.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
This is why a few of us have said that "play calling" will improve as Joe continues to grow. He rarely makes the same mistake twice.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-28-2023, 08:37 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Isn't it funny how now that we have Burrow, the AFC has become a QB arms race with just about every good QB in our conference, while the NFC has Hurts and just about squat.

Maybe they make Joe a "player/coach", take a little off the contract, and make it up with a coach's salary.

Obviously I'm joking.

Or am I?
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2023, 10:21 AM)Earendil Wrote: Maybe they make Joe a "player/coach", take a little off the contract, and make it up with a coach's salary.

Obviously I'm joking.

Or am I?

A QB who IS the QB coach. Hmmm…I dunno. They say doctors make the worst patients, accountants have horrible personal bookkeeping, lawyers are their own worst counsel…
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2023, 08:37 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Isn't it funny how now that we have Burrow, the AFC has become a QB arms race with just about every good QB in our conference, while the NFC has Hurts and just about squat.

I don't know if I would say "squat" but yeah, the AFC is loaded. The NFC, outside of Hurts, has a bunch of "good, but not great" guys. Goff and Prescott are good QBs with the ability to churn out elite production.  Maybe even Geno if he can do it again. The AFC has talent all over the spectrum though. Burrow, Mahomes, Herbert, Lawrence, Rodgers, maybe Deshaun, Lamar, Allen. 

That lineup for the AFC is absolutely sickening. 
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2023, 01:21 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: And it’s why comparisons to Joe Montana and Tom Brady. I think they were cerebral. He also reminds me of Johnny Unitas. In our other thread discussion is Mahomes vs Burrow. One difference between the two is that Joe seems more deliberate than Patrick and maybe reads the defense better pre-snap. Johnny Unitas was the best pre-snap.

I agree Joe is doing a good job on reading pre snap but Mahomes does a good job on pre-snap also, many times he is already on the move on the snap, that is part of his pre snap reads also, plus Ints can be a sign of a good pre snap read and Mahomes  overall in his career he does not throw high amount of Ints even with his aggressive play. He averages around a .06 ints a game. 
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2023, 06:40 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree Joe is doing a good job on reading pre snap but Mahomes does a good job on pre-snap also, many times he is already on the move on the snap, that is part of his pre snap reads also, plus Ints can be a sign of a good pre snap read and Mahomes  overall in his career he does not throw high amount of Ints even with his aggressive play. He averages around a .06 ints a game. 

Yeah I guess I’m splitting hairs. But Patrick seems to get impatient quicker.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
The elephant in the room is Burrow throwing 2 INT last AFCG and then the crazy games where he throws 4-5 int in one game. Mahommes does t have those outliers to my knowledge

But Mahommes also never had a line as bad as ours was 2020-2023 so it’s even
-Housh
Reply/Quote

That's just what Louisville Cardinals do

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I think truly reading defenses is becoming a lost art. So many of these guys have such strong arms that they can out throw coverages, or they can run so well they don’t even care what the D is in becsus they can escape no matter what.

I’d be surprised if guys like Jackson and Fields actually read defenses post snap how Burrow does.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2023, 06:49 PM)Go Cards Wrote: That's just what Louisville Cardinals do

That’s great. Nobody bigger fan of Johnny U than me.

Reply/Quote