Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Callaway v Ross
Ross does not have to put up big numbers to help our offense, but he has to do more than he is right now.

I understand that last year was a wash due to injuries, but he is more than "basically a rookie" this year. He has been working against NFL players for a year and a half. The adjustment period should be over.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 01:16 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Callaway dropped some balls last night but he looks like he is going to be a handful running deep routes.

For you experts on this board- and I am not one of them- why aren't the Bengals sending Ross on deep routes like Callaway.

I always here about "cover 2" but it seemed to me that the Jets were using two safeties deep last night and it did not matter because of the number of WRs Browns were throwing out there on the same play.

Would appreciate enlightenment from the football coaches/players on this board.

Callaway is a talented, young player.  It will take a few weeks, once teams have enough film to dissect his tendencies, to determine if he's going to be great or not.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 06:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ross does not have to put up big numbers to help our offense, but he has to do more than he is right now.

I understand that last year was a wash due to injuries, but he is more than "basically a rookie" this year.  He has been working against NFL players for a year and a half.  The adjustment period should be over.

Ross seems to do well, with the tough stuff.  It's the routine catches, the ones right on the button, that I've seen him dropping.  That tells me that it's a focus/concentration issue.  Perhaps he needs a coaches foot up his ass?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 06:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ross seems to do well, with the tough stuff.  It's the routine catches, the ones right on the button, that I've seen him dropping.  That tells me that it's a focus/concentration issue.  Perhaps he needs a coaches foot up his ass?

Kinky, and effective!
Reply/Quote
You gotta love the “this is basically his rookie year crowd”. Must have voted for Ben Simmons.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 06:51 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: You gotta love the “this is basically his rookie year crowd”. Must have voted for Ben Simmons.

Chase Daniel has been in the NFL for 10 years and he's only started 2 games...he's technically football-younger than Sam Darnold.
Reply/Quote
Put up 34 point on a top defense. Something must be working. But let's jump on John Ross yet again.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 02:13 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Ross could end up being the Akili Smith of Wide Receivers. High Draft, low productivity. Yes, technically 1st year, 2 games but... his poor routes and difficulty of learning the playbook last year and dropsies and dislike by Marvin...(yes, he had an injury) not looking too good. I expected him to have 5 TDs by now and make many clutch plays. WE have a great OL, great QB and a great RB to open his potential. Boyd seems like he should have been the 1st RD WR. If we take AJ out of the equation, would you feel Ross could lead the team as the #1 WR... no. oh yeah, Callaway, hmm.. don't know anything about him. I did hear some of the game last night by radio and I did hear his name often.

We have a great OL? Seriously???

I’d also say we have a good QB, not a great one.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 06:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ross does not have to put up big numbers to help our offense, but he has to do more than he is right now.

I understand that last year was a wash due to injuries, but he is more than "basically a rookie" this year.  He has been working against NFL players for a year and a half.  The adjustment period should be over.

^^ This

Ross is not a rookie. He played in 3 games in 2017 and had 1 start. He didn't catch any throws made his way in 2017 and had one run for 12 yards and fumbled it completing what I believe to be the worse statistical rookie year of any WR in NFL history; as a zero catch, zero fumble year would have been a better statistical year than Ross' 1st. He had negative fantasy points.

In 2018 he has two catches and one run for a total of 8 yards in 2 games.

Game 1
Ross 2 targets 1 catch for a 3 yard TD. Caught 50%.
Boyd 5 targets 3 catches. Caught 60%.

Game 2
Ross 4 targets 1 catch hauling in 25%
Boyd 9 targets 6 catches hauling in 67%

Reply/Quote
He is the 4th target on the offense maybe 5th depending on where you put Eifert on the Target list. Oh and the guy already has a TD this year. I wouldn't be to worried about him just yet.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Say what you want but so far Calloway has outplayed Ross just by his long TD grab against the saints and he shoulda had at least another one last night if it wasn’t for tyrod. Dudes played 3 games and flashed more potential than Ross has and that’s a fact. Give John whatever excuse you want he needs to step up bc he’s trending towards being a bust. I hope I’m wrong
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 02:13 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Ross could end up being the Akili Smith of Wide Receivers. High Draft, low productivity. Yes, technically 1st year, 2 games but... his poor routes and difficulty of learning the playbook last year and dropsies and dislike by Marvin...(yes, he had an injury) not looking too good. I expected him to have 5 TDs by now and make many clutch plays. WE have a great OL, great QB and a great RB to open his potential. Boyd seems like he should have been the 1st RD WR. If we take AJ out of the equation, would you feel Ross could lead the team as the #1 WR... no.  oh yeah, Callaway, hmm.. don't know anything about him. I did hear some of the game last night by radio and I did hear his name often.

Yeah, and monkeys could fly out of my butt.

The only difference between the production of a guy like Calloway and a guy like Ross is they have no one else, so they must give Callaway targets.  After they traded Coleman (former first rounder and got a condtiional 7th in return) and Gordon (9th live expired), they had to give his targets.  He made as many mistakes (or more) as he did receptions.  Sound familiar?  And he played last year in college.  Ross is essentially finding his stuff again after nearly two years of no game action.  

He (Calloway) could end up a very good WR, or he could end up another Josh Gordon.  He has had a LOT of off-field issues, so much so that many teams had him undraftable.  

I think this weekend you will see more quick passes to Ross to be a so-called extension of the running game.  Once he makes one guy miss in space, he will be gone. Look at the two catches he did make.  Fade was taking candy and he made two guys miss in a short dump off.  The kid has great agility to go with his mercurial speed.  

He is due for a bomb TD and screen for 75 yard TD any day now.  I thought it would be the Atlanta game, but who knows?   I am sure it is coming.  

Akili Smith was a drunk and had no desire.  That's not Ross.  
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 03:39 AM)TSwigZ Wrote: Say what you want but so far Calloway has outplayed Ross just by his long TD grab against the saints and he shoulda had at least another one last night if it wasn’t for tyrod. Dudes played 3 games and flashed more potential than Ross has and that’s a fact. Give John whatever excuse you want he needs to step up bc he’s trending towards being a bust. I hope I’m wrong

He hasn't flashed more potential.  He has flashed in more opportunities.  It is coming.  Just wait.  

Waiting for Ross isn't like waiting for Bodine to stop being turned in to a tackle-sled that only goes backwards.  Ross can do it.  He has done it.  He will again when he gets his shot.  
Reply/Quote
Marvin needs to run the Bengals like a little league team and make sure every player get a fair shot. Ross needs a chance to shine.
Reply/Quote
Ross's time will come. And when it does it will just give teams more things to worry about.
Reply/Quote
Ross has flashed “potential “. I just want to when n where he has flashed potential. In 10 plays I’ve seen him be involved he’s fumbled , dropped 2 passes or is it 3. Catch 2 passes for a total of 8 yards he hasn’t shown anything yet. But it’s still early n he can turn it around n turn into a Desean Jackson type of player . Keep fingers crossed
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 10:53 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Ross's time will come.  And when it does it will just give teams more things to worry about.

I thought Ross' time was going to come as soon as we got LaFell out of his way...now what? Anywho, Ross has shown flashes of potential after 18 games on an NFL roster, but that's also the sort of thing you'd expect to say about a late-round flyer pick, not a top 10 guy. Is the clock ticking on this guy?
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 01:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I thought Ross' time was going to come as soon as we got LaFell out of his way...now what?  Anywho, Ross has shown flashes of potential after 18 games on an NFL roster, but that's also the sort of thing you'd expect to say about a late-round flyer pick, not a top 10 guy.  Is the clock ticking on this guy?

It sounds like you want it to be at this point lol.

The guy has physical ability that many can't match. His speed and agility is too dangerous to just give up on him after a year (in which he barely played). I get that he was a top 10 pick, but it would be ridiculous to already number his days here.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 08:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, and monkeys could fly out of my butt.

The only difference between the production of a guy like Calloway and a guy like Ross is they have no one else, so they must give Callaway targets.  After they traded Coleman (former first rounder and got a condtiional 7th in return) and Gordon (9th live expired), they had to give his targets.  He made as many mistakes (or more) as he did receptions.  Sound familiar?  And he played last year in college.  Ross is essentially finding his stuff again after nearly two years of no game action.  

He (Calloway) could end up a very good WR, or he could end up another Josh Gordon.  He has had a LOT of off-field issues, so much so that many teams had him undraftable.  

I think this weekend you will see more quick passes to Ross to be a so-called extension of the running game.  Once he makes one guy miss in space, he will be gone. Look at the two catches he did make.  Fade was taking candy and he made two guys miss in a short dump off.  The kid has great agility to go with his mercurial speed.  

He is due for a bomb TD and screen for 75 yard TD any day now.  I thought it would be the Atlanta game, but who knows?   I am sure it is coming.  

Akili Smith was a drunk and had no desire.  That's not Ross.  

I wouldn’t say no one else, they do have Jarvis Landry.

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 01:35 PM)thillan Wrote: It sounds like you want it to be at this point lol.

The guy has physical ability that many can't match. His speed and agility is too dangerous to just give up on him after a year (in which he barely played). I get that he was a top 10 pick, but it would be ridiculous to already number his days here.

I want Ross to be good because I want the Bengals to be good.  I just don't quite get why people are so convinced he isn't getting a chance to get on the field, or why the fact that he's barely played in the NFL is anyone's fault but his own.  It's just year 2, so I assume he'll get it together, I just find it amusing that some Bengals fans are acting like whiny parents who are mad the coach won't take their son off the bench and force him into a game.
Reply/Quote