Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling all guitar players, what is your axe of choice?
Mine, obviously, as evidenced by my sig, was the Stratocaster.  

Also, who taught you how to play?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I love a LOT of guitars, but I think my favorite was a pretty cheap Squier Jagmaster. I also love strats, as long as they have the Humbucker at the bridge. Had a Wayne's World replica (no Stairway!) MIM strat back in 2008. Wound up selling it because every time I played with the band, I had a tendency of hitting the pickup switch with my hand while strumming. Also loved my Epiphone Standard LP back in the day. Used one of those in the studio for 4 songs.

I was entirely self taught. Which caused me to have a pretty unique style as far as songwriting. I also play without a pick (I use my right index fingernail). I bought a few with my first guitar, lost them and never looked back. I've always felt more comfortable without them. The only other person that plays with their fingernail like that (that I've heard of) was Kevin Eubanks of the old Tonight Show Band.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 01:33 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I love a LOT of guitars, but I think my favorite was a pretty cheap Squier Jagmaster. I also love strats, as long as they have the Humbucker at the bridge. Had a Wayne's World replica (no Stairway!) MIM strat back in 2008. Wound up selling it because every time I played with the band, I had a tendency of hitting the pickup switch with my hand while strumming. Also loved my Epiphone Standard LP back in the day. Used one of those in the studio for 4 songs.

I was entirely self taught. Which caused me to have a pretty unique style as far as songwriting. I also play without a pick (I use my right index fingernail). I bought a few with my first guitar, lost them and never looked back. I've always felt more comfortable without them. The only other person that plays with their fingernail like that (that I've heard of) was Kevin Eubanks of the old Tonight Show Band.

Great stuff. 

My favorite guitar player of all time is Mark Knopfler.  He doeesn't use a pick either.  He doesn't use a fingernail, but he does use fingertips.  Gives him a unique sound. 

Lindsey Buckingham also is  fingertip player.

I was never more than a rhythm player but I seldom used a pick.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I started with an Electra Westone Phoenix. Got it back in 84. I took some classes but never stuck. I tried self teaching but never overcame my first mental block and every time i practiced I just did the same thing over and over so really no progression. I traded it with a good friend of mine and got a really nice acoustics guitar thinking I needed to refocus on basics and rebuild from there. However, my son started showing an interest so I gave it to him. A few years ago I bought a cheap epiphone and went and bought the Xbox game Rocksmith” in hopes of tackling it once again. Yet, never happened because I never found the time to put in it, and when I do, I can’t because the Xbox stopped working for some reason.

I can play just enough to make someone who does not recognize good play to think I’m talented, but I know it’s not much at all. Really want to get into it again because it’s my goal to learn. I’ve always been a drummer but the guitar is what I love. Also want to learn the piano. But I doubt that will ever happen, specially when I don’t own one. LOL

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 10:16 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I started with an Electra Westone Phoenix. Got it back in 84. I took some classes but never stuck. I tried self teaching but never overcame my first mental block and every time i practiced I just did the same thing over and over so really no progression. I traded it with a good friend of mine and got a really nice acoustics guitar thinking I needed to refocus on basics and rebuild from there. However, my son started showing an interest so I gave it to him. A few years ago I bought a cheap epiphone and went and bought the Xbox game Rocksmith” in hopes of tackling it once again. Yet, never happened because I never found the time to put in it, and when I do, I can’t because the Xbox stopped working for some reason.

I can play just enough to make someone who does not recognize good play to think I’m talented, but I know it’s not much at all. Really want to get into it again because it’s my goal to learn. I’ve always been a drummer but the guitar is what I love. Also want to learn the piano. But I doubt that will ever happen, specially when I don’t own one. LOL

Damn, I was going to ask you if that helped. I almost bought Rocksmith several times. I need a lot of work on scales. I want to play lead, but practicing scales seems like the most boring thing you can do on guitar. Agree with you on piano. I doubt I'll ever learn it, but I've always found piano to be the most beautiful sounding instrument. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 09:15 AM)McC Wrote: Great stuff. 

My favorite guitar player of all time is Mark Knopfler.  He doeesn't use a pick either.  He doesn't use a fingernail, but he does use fingertips.  Gives him a unique sound. 

Same here. I only picked up a guitar to write songs. I started writing poetry as a teenager and it didn't take me long to figure out that I needed a deeper form of creative expression. I've always loved music more than most people I know. For most, it's just background noise. Or something to play at parties. I'm the type of guy that hates when someone interrupts a great song in the car.  Rant
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 08:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Damn, I was going to ask you if that helped. I almost bought Rocksmith several times. I need a lot of work on scales. I want to play lead, but practicing scales seems like the most boring thing you can do on guitar. Agree with you on piano. I doubt I'll ever learn it, but I've always found piano to be the most beautiful sounding instrument. 

I think piano is awesome too. I listen to an array of music. Everything from metal to gospel. Guitar and piano can change me in seconds. I just get so into the magic of both, I want to make them sounds. I do recommend Rocksmith. It’s not expensive and although I didn’t read the instructions and dove right in, it was pretty cool. There are a couple YouTube videos on it I think?

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 08:14 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think piano is awesome too. I listen to an array of music. Everything from metal to gospel. Guitar and piano can change me in seconds. I just get so into the magic of both, I want to make them sounds. I do recommend Rocksmith. It’s not expensive and although I didn’t read the instructions and dove right in, it was pretty cool. There are a couple YouTube videos on it I think?

I'll check it out. I think I have an Xbox laying around somewhere. 

...and yeah my taste in music is eclectic too. I've been a fan of everything from Nirvana to Sarah McLachlan. From Pantera to 2pac to Tim McGraw.
Reply/Quote
Strats are the most versatile guitar especially if configured hss.

I've got two American Deluxes of that configuration with coil splits that can get even more sounds.

I've had all ends of the spectrum of Fenders in price point and really the only difference is the quality of electronics/hardware.

I play lead and bend the strings quite a bit so I need the tuners, nut, and bridge to be really stable.

The ones I own have a roller nut and locking tuners which work well for me.

Right now I'm playing covers that range from Rock, Pop, Country to soft stuff like Al Green.

Les Pauls/Epis can just sing when played in a rock lead.  That is one thing they really, really, excel at in my opinion.

Nothing beats the singing quality of a great Les Paul/Epi it just cuts the air.

Like Shake, I have a lot of guitars.

My favorite Hard Rock/Metal guitar is the LTD/ESP.  I have one with Duncans and Evertune bridge and the other with EMGs and a Floyd.

Those are beasts!  I also have my eye on a neck-thru Schecter which fits that bill too.

I have a Paul Reed Smith that I love playing Hard Rock with that cleans up with the volume knob better than any other guitar I've ever known.

I basically can roll it back, and cut gain, without sacrificing tone and clarity.  It's great!

I started playing piano at a young age and quit.

Started playing acoustic guitar later.  I quit.

My brother and me talked my parents into buying a Flying V knock-off(Harmony)to learn how to play electric.

That thing sat around my house for years and I had quit beginner lessons(my old school teacher hated my guitar).

It wasn't until my Mom heard of a rock guitarist in town who was teaching that my interest was piqued again.

I started lessons with him and quit.  LOL  Again.  All of this time just picking up bits and pieces along the way.

Met a few other people that wanted to form a rock band and we started playing covers and writing originals in High School.

After High School I moved to Seattle and met a lot of other guitarists and picked up on things quite rapidly.

Between those times and learning later from my Brother-In-Law who was a great guitarist I really increased my playing abilities.

I play with a pick and use my fingers too in a hybrid way.  It just depends on what I'm playing.

I'm not very good at just multiple finger-picking.  I completely suck at slide guitar.  It's just not natural to me and my guitars aren't set up for it either.

I have a question?  Do any of you guys play in alternate or open tunings?  I play mostly in standard/Eb/and drop D for heavier stuff.

Lower than drop D is not really my thing.  Neither are guitars with more than 6 strings.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 08:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'll check it out. I think I have an Xbox laying around somewhere. 

...and yeah my taste in music is eclectic too. I've been a fan of everything from Nirvana to Sarah McLachlan. From Pantera to 2pac to Tim McGraw.

Sarah is very talented.

I'm completely amazed by any musician that can play piano well and sing at the same time.

My brain can barely handle playing rhythm guitar and singing simultaneously.

To be able to play a lead line, bass line, and sing all at once.  Woah!!
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 10:16 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I started with an Electra Westone Phoenix. Got it back in 84. I took some classes but never stuck. I tried self teaching but never overcame my first mental block and every time i practiced I just did the same thing over and over so really no progression. I traded it with a good friend of mine and got a really nice acoustics guitar thinking I needed to refocus on basics and rebuild from there. However, my son started showing an interest so I gave it to him. A few years ago I bought a cheap epiphone and went and bought the Xbox game Rocksmith” in hopes of tackling it once again. Yet, never happened because I never found the time to put in it, and when I do, I can’t because the Xbox stopped working for some reason.

I remember wanting this Westone Electra guitar back in the day! LOL   Rolleyes 

[Image: th?id=OIP.uPKWriupGPCCJihLV4ri1gHaFj&pid...=222&h=167]

I ended up with one of these later.   Rolleyes

[Image: th?id=OIP.LxRj-v7PYODDuTw2xJ6pQAHaO0&pid...=300&h=300]

I don't own any real odd shaped guitars these days.  Except for this one. 

[Image: th?id=OIP.geSM_CYQfch_YIAFlGGInQHaCe&pid...=485&h=162]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 09:51 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Strats are the most versatile guitar especially if configured hss.

I've got two American Deluxes of that configuration with coil splits that can get even more sounds.

I've had all ends of the spectrum of Fenders in price point and really the only difference is the quality of electronics/hardware.

I play lead and bend the strings quite a bit so I need the tuners, nut, and bridge to be really stable.

Right now I'm playing covers that range from Rock, Pop, Country to soft stuff like Al Green.

Les Pauls/Epis can just sing when played in a rock lead.  That is one thing they really, really, excel at in my opinion.

My favorite Hard Rock/Metal guitar is the LTD/ESP.  I have one with Duncans and Evertune bridge and the other with EMGs and a Floyd.

Those are beasts!  I also have my eye on a neck-thru Schecter which fits that bill too.

I have a Paul Reed Smith that I love playing Hard Rock with that cleans up with the volume knob better than any other guitar I've ever known.

I basically can roll it back, and cut gain, without sacrificing tone and clarity.  It's great!

My brother and me talked my parents into buying a Flying V knock-off(Harmony)to learn how to play electric.

That thing sat around my house for years and I had quit beginner lessons(my old school teacher hated my guitar).

It wasn't until my Mom heard of a rock guitarist in town who was teaching that my interest was piqued again.

I started lessons with him and quit.  LOL  Again.  All of this time just picking up bits and pieces along the way.

Met a few other people that wanted to form a rock band and we started playing covers and writing originals in High School.

After High School I moved to Seattle and met a lot of other guitarists and picked up on things quite rapidly.

Between those times and learning later from my Brother-In-Law who was a great guitarist I really increased my playing abilities.

I play with a pick and use my fingers too in a hybrid way.  It just depends on what I'm playing.

I'm not very good at just multiple finger-picking.  I completely suck at slide guitar.  It's just not natural to me and my guitars aren't set up for it either.

I have a question?  Do any of you guys play in alternate or open tunings?  I play mostly in standard/Eb/and drop D for heavier stuff.

Lower than drop D is not really my thing.  Neither are guitars with more than 6 strings.

Shocked Now I really feel like a minion.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 09:15 AM)McC Wrote: Great stuff. 

Both of those guys are fantastic!
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 09:51 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Strats are the most versatile guitar especially if configured hss.

Totally agree on the versatility of the strat with the humbucker at the bridge. I've owned probably at least a half dozen strats in my life. Some knock offs, but never better than a MiM. I've never really had the scratch for an American one. At least not without my wife wanting to kill me. 

I wrote probably 75% of my songs on a red Synsonics "Pro Series" (lol) strat. It was all beat up and duct taped. I carved band names on it and put every cool sticker I could find on it. Unfortunately, it was stolen in 2005. Not sure why they took it, because it wasn't worth a penny to anyone but me.

As for the tunings, I'd say my songs are 50/50 between standard and drop D. I play so much drop D that my old bandmate used to call me that (my name is Deric). Sometimes I'll drop it down half a step if I want a darker/muddier sound. When I was in my early 20's, I used to experiment with some exotic tunings, but I eventually figured it would be better to just work within the confines of the more traditional tunings.

It didn't help that I broke some strings trying to tune to some Goo Goo Dolls stuff. LOL

(03-04-2019, 09:58 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Sarah is very talented.

I'm completely amazed by any musician that can play piano well and sing at the same time.

My brain can barely handle playing rhythm guitar and singing simultaneously.

To be able to play a lead line, bass line, and sing all at once.  Woah!!

Yeah, her voice is amazing and goes perfectly with the piano.

Honestly, I can barely play guitar and chew bubble gum. To write songs, I always had to record the guitar first, then come up with lyrics and melody by playing the track back on repeat. I guess that's why I can't play drums, either. I can do 2 things (say hi-hat and snare), but as soon as I try to do that 3rd thing, it's over.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 10:24 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Shocked Now I really feel like a minion.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Sorry man.  I just like talking shop.  Been around it a long time.  Yet still have a lot to learn.

I think one of the things I can't stand the most are gear snobs in the music world.

If a guitar feels good in your hands and it works for you... that is all that matters.

Same with an amp if you play electric.

It's all very personal.  
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 10:36 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Sorry man.  I just like talking shop.  Been around it a long time.  Yet still have a lot to learn.

I think one of the things I can't stand the most are gear snobs in the music world.

If a guitar feels good in your hands and it works for you... that is all that matters.

It's all very personal.  

No offense taken. Just amazed at your knowledge and my lack of it.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 10:36 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Sorry man.  I just like talking shop.  Been around it a long time.  Yet still have a lot to learn.

It's all very personal.  

Amen to that. I've loved expensive guitars and gear. I've loved some cheap stuff that was very good to me. 

I can't stand gear snobs. Guys that will argue for days about set neck vs bolt on, or if your rig didn't run you 5k it's trash. 

Tone is all subjective anyway. 

(03-04-2019, 10:40 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: No offense taken. Just amazed at your knowledge and my lack of it.

Yep. My buddy thinks I'm a gear head, but BR is much more knowledgeable than I. 

Btw, I forgot to mention that I recently got a Dean Exotica acoustic. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a solid acoustic under $400.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 10:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Totally agree on the versatility of the strat with the humbucker at the bridge. I've owned probably at least a half dozen strats in my life. Some knock offs, but never better than a MiM. I've never really had the scratch for an American one. At least not without my wife wanting to kill me. 

I wrote probably 75% of my songs on a red Synsonics "Pro Series" (lol) strat. It was all beat up and duct taped. I carved band names on it and put every cool sticker I could find on it. Unfortunately, it was stolen in 2005. Not sure why they took it, because it wasn't worth a penny to anyone but me.

As for the tunings, I'd say my songs are 50/50 between standard and drop D. I play so much drop D that my old bandmate used to call me that (my name is Deric). Sometimes I'll drop it down half a step if I want a darker/muddier sound. When I was in my early 20's, I used to experiment with some exotic tunings, but I eventually figured it would be better to just work within the confines of the more traditional tunings.

It didn't help that I broke some strings trying to tune to some Goo Goo Dolls stuff. LOL

Yeah, her voice is amazing and goes perfectly with the piano.

Honestly, I can barely play guitar and chew bubble gum. To write songs, I always had to record the guitar first, then come up with lyrics and melody by playing the track back on repeat. I guess that's why I can't play drums, either. I can do 2 things (say hi-hat and snare), but as soon as I try to do that 3rd thing, it's over.

Almost all of the songs from the 90s through early 2000s were tuned Eb.

Yeah the Goo Goo Dolls used some really strange tuning so he could play and sing at the same time. LOL

I quit playing electric guitar for a while and sold all of my stuff(so sick of band drama).

One day I was in a pawn shop and some guy working there said "hey try this Squier out, it's setup great".

I said what the hell, and liked it.  Bought it for $150.  Later I put in some Seymour Duncans(Screamin' Demon in the bridge and a 59 in the neck)

Now I had more invested in the pickups than the guitar!  It just felt right, and I recorded a bunch of original stuff with it.

Since then I've never looked back and keep adding pieces of gear.  Still have that Squier though.  Will probably never sell it because of what it represents.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 10:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Amen to that. I've loved expensive guitars and gear. I've loved some cheap stuff that was very good to me. 

I can't stand gear snobs. Guys that will argue for days about set neck vs bolt on, or if your rig didn't run you 5k it's trash. 

Tone is all subjective anyway. 

Yep. My buddy thinks I'm a gear head, but BR is much more knowledgeable than I. 

Btw, I forgot to mention that I recently got a Dean Exotica acoustic. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a solid acoustic under $400.

Nice!  My old singer has a Dean and he loves it.

He also has a Takamine as do I .  They have some decent inexpensive acoustics.

Really acoustics as well as electrics can be favored for hand size aside from anything else involving the guitar.

Fret spacing, neck thickness, neck shape, etc.

There are so many elements that factor in to what a guitarist favors.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 10:50 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Almost all of the songs from the 90s through early 2000s were tuned Eb.

Yeah the Goo Goo Dolls used some really strange tuning so he could play and sing at the same time. LOL

I quit playing electric guitar for a while and sold all of my stuff(so sick of band drama).

One day I was in a pawn shop and some guy working there said "hey try this Squier out, it's setup great".

I said what the hell, and liked it.  Bought it for $150.  Later I put in some Seymour Duncans(Screamin' Demon in the bridge and a 59 in the neck)

Now I had more invested in the pickups than the guitar!  It just felt right, and I recorded a bunch of original stuff with it.

Since then I've never looked back and keep adding pieces of gear.  Still have that Squier though.  Will probably never sell it because of what it represents.

I always thought about swapping out pickups in some of my cheaper guitars. I just never knew which pickups I should go for. It's kinda hard to try out different pickups to see what suits you. I know Duncans have a great rep. I play quiet/loud Weezer/Nirvana style hard rock, so I'd want something hot, but not death metal hot. 
Reply/Quote