Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling all shade tree mechanics
My wife's car has me confused, perplexed, and bewildered! 

It is an 02 Aztek (I know POS). Died in her mom's driveway. Had it towed home where I checked to see if it was getting both spark and gas. Was getting spark but no gas and I could not hear the fuel pump kick on. Replaced fuel pump and now it gets gas but no spark. Checked voltage to ignition control module and it was within specs as was both voltage and ohms from crankshaft position sensor. Normally this means the ignition control module is bad so I replaced it along with all coils, plugs, and wires and still no spark. 

Anyone have any suggestions besides sticking a gas soaked rag into the gas tank, lighting it, then running like hell?
Reply/Quote
Reset computer after fuel pump change?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Go through the ignition/starter circuit,, including any relays. I had similar symptoms as described, and a poor connection in this circuit was the problem.

The other thought I have is in the safety cutoff switch in the transmission IF it's an automatic transmission. If it's bad, you won't get any spark as a bad switch will think the vehicle is still in gear.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 10:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Reset computer after fuel pump change?
Doing this in the morning. Although not for fuel pump as it is working now. Thinking maybe need to reset it after replacing the ignition control module.
(06-26-2018, 01:14 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: Go through the ignition/starter circuit,, including any relays. I had similar symptoms as described, and a poor connection in this circuit was the problem.

The other thought I have is in the safety cutoff switch in the transmission IF it's an automatic transmission. If it's bad, you won't get any spark as a bad switch will think the vehicle is still in gear.
Checked all fuses and relays.

I wouldn't think the engine would turn over if it is the safety switch. Everytime I've forgotten a vehicle was in gear and tried to start it just didn't do anything.
Reply/Quote
If there were no electrical problems to begin with (you had spark) then I don't think it is a bad wire or part.  It has to be just a bad connection somewhere.

Good luck.  Those type of problems can be a *****.

I had a friend who replaced almost every electrical part before he found out that the brand new coil he bought was bad.
Reply/Quote
What ended up being the problem?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 02:41 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: What ended up being the problem?

Don't know. I got tired of messing with it and told her if she wanted it running again she would have to find a way to get it fixed. I think it's either the computer or possibly the timing belt.
Reply/Quote