Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calvin Johnson to Retire
Quote:Another day, another retirement of one of the best to ever play his position.

The Lions just announced that wide receiver Calvin Johnson was retiring from football, effective immediately.

The team said Johnson had filed his retirement paperwork with the league, and that all contractual matters with the team “were settled to the satisfaction of the parties.”

The Lions gain $11.1 million in cap room with the move, which they can definitely use heading into the new league year as they try to replace one of the game’s brightest stars.

There was some question as to whether the 30-year-old Johnson was trying to finagle a release, so he could play somewhere else. But the wording of the Lions’ statement indicates that’s not the case.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/08/lions-announce-calvin-johnson-is-retiring-from-football/
Reply/Quote
For as much complaining as we do collectively as Bengal fans, I would not trade it in to be a Lions fan. I cannot imagine how I would feel today as a Lions fan.  First they run Barry Sanders out and not Megatron. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I have a lot of respect for Calvin Johnson. Not many pro athletes hold themselves to the level of professionalism he did now a days.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 01:57 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: For as much complaining as we do collectively as Bengal fans, I would not trade it in to be a Lions fan. I cannot imagine how I would feel today as a Lions fan.  First they run Barry Sanders out and not Megatron. 

Speaking as a 30 year Lions fans, it's not an easy road to travel. While many remain loyal, apathy has driven away a good chunk of the fanbase. At least we have some hope here. Hell, lately making (if not actually winning in) the playoffs has been like falling out of a boat and htiting water. In Detroit, you go into each season just hoping for some sort of miracle, a lightning strike. It's all you got.

I think Lions fans view this retirement much diferently than the Sanders retirement. There was a lot of acrimony with fans when Barry hung up his cleats, but as the years went by, Lions fans came to realize (all to painfully) why Barry wanted out, and all is forgiven. Given the futility of the franchise, I don't think a single Lion fan blames CJ today.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote