Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam Newton Gets Five Year Extension
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/02/panthers-announce-five-year-extension-for-cam-newton/

Rumors of $60 million guaranteed. If this is what Newton gets, I can only imagine what Andrew Luck will get.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Over $20m a year. Flacco's deal keeps looking better and better.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Living in Carolina, I get more than my fair share of Panthers talk.  Everyone around here seems really excited about the deal.  Meanwhile, I'm thinking to myself that Cam Newton does not seem like he's worth 20M/per, in my book.

If I were a Panthers fan, I would be a little sad that Cam is going to take up that much cap space.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 07:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Living in Carolina, I get more than my fair share of Panthers talk.  Everyone around here seems really excited about the deal.  Meanwhile, I'm thinking to myself that Cam Newton does not seem like he's worth 20M/per, in my book.

If I were a Panthers fan, I would be a little sad that Cam is going to take up that much cap space.

This is my line of thinking as well. I guess it's just the current status of the NFL. That 3rd tier of quarterbacks below the elite and franchise guys and above the stop-gaps and tire-fires/failed rookies is problematic. I'd put Cam solidly towards the top of that tier, but if I'm Carolina I'm hella nervous about shelling out that kind of money to him. 

If it were 20 million a year with limited guarantees a la Dalton/Kaep contract I'd get it, but he's getting 60 million guaranteed apparently. 
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 07:15 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Over $20m a year. Flacco's deal keeps looking better and better.

Yeah. It's gonna look really good when it doubles to 28Mil next year, then 31Mil the next. Jay Cutler is the only guy with a bigger number after his name.

As far as the recents...
Dalton 13Mil and 15Mil
ASmith 17Mil and 16Mil
Kaeper 16Mil and 19Mil

Cam should fall in line with those guys. Aaron Rodgers is only getting 19 and 20 the next couple years. 

That's Flacco costing almost twice as much as the guys who signed right after him. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 07:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Living in Carolina, I get more than my fair share of Panthers talk.  Everyone around here seems really excited about the deal.  Meanwhile, I'm thinking to myself that Cam Newton does not seem like he's worth 20M/per, in my book.

He won't. Averages aren't the same as the yearly cap hit and potential dead money.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
So I saw that 60 million figure has injury guarantees. 30 million guaranteed @ 20 million is still high.
Reply/Quote
......and folks ***** about what Andy knocks down.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 07:15 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Over $20m a year. Flacco's deal keeps looking better and better.

and Flacco has a Super Bowl win.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 11:17 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. It's gonna look really good when it doubles to 28Mil next year, then 31Mil the next. Jay Cutler is the only guy with a bigger number after his name.

As far as the recents...
Dalton 13Mil and 15Mil
ASmith 17Mil and 16Mil
Kaeper 16Mil and 19Mil
Flacco   7m and 14m

Cam should fall in line with those guys. Aaron Rodgers is only getting 19 and 20 the next couple years. 

That's Flacco costing almost twice as much as the guys who signed right after him. 

Let's forget about how it cost them just $6.8m that first year when they needed to sign a lot of players and how his agent said at the time of the signing that he knew this was only a 3 year contract that would be renegotiated.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 11:17 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. It's gonna look really good when it doubles to 28Mil next year, then 31Mil the next. Jay Cutler is the only guy with a bigger number after his name.

As far as the recents...
Dalton 13Mil and 15Mil
ASmith 17Mil and 16Mil
Kaeper 16Mil and 19Mil

They should've paid Dalton in:

[Image: video_image.jpg]
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Reply/Quote
*flush goes the $$$$*
Reply/Quote

They are cap constrained, had no weapons for Cam and finished below with Cam accumulating a 5-8-1 record, so now with his huge CAP hit they'll have even less money to get him weapons and an oline.  At least Dalton won tons of games before getting his money.  Cam has had one winning season, which was mostly attributable to his defense.

Good deal for the Panthers.....yeah.
Reply/Quote
If you have a QB that's worth his salt, you have to pay him...or you aren't going to be consistently competitive. The Panthers can't risk letting Cam go. That'd be completely foolish. He's better than 2/3rds of the other QBs in the league. You have to pay him or start over. No journeyman QB is going to bring you consistent success.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2015, 01:30 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: If you have a QB that's worth his salt, you have to pay him...or you aren't going to be consistently competitive. The Panthers can't risk letting Cam go. That'd be completely foolish. He's better than 2/3rds of the other QBs in the league. You have to pay him or start over. No journeyman QB is going to bring you consistent success.

He's better than a journeyman but he is not a top 5 Qb in the NFL or even a top 10 QB. He is getting paid big bucks because of his brand not because of his play on the field. He is same caliber player as Dalton & Kaepernick.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2015, 04:44 PM)J24 Wrote: He's better than a journeyman but he is not a top 5 Qb in the NFL or even a top 10 QB. He is getting paid big bucks because of his brand not because of his play on the field. He is same caliber player as Dalton & Kaepernick.

The NFL.com article said he is in the top 12. That one had my eyes rolling as one could roll off 12 easy. I see Cam below Brady, Flacco, Ben, Luck, Manning, Rivers, Romo, Eli, Stafford, Rodgers, Ryan, Brees, Wilson. Then Then you could still have a discussion about Tannehill, Cutler, and Kaepernick. 

Cam is a vastly superior Quarterback when compared to Andy Dalton (physically) yet he has much inferior results while playing on a moderately less talented team in the weakest division in football. 

I get that you need to hold onto decent QBs, but this contract is a step in the wrong direction for that 3rd tier QB market. 
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 06:44 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/02/panthers-announce-five-year-extension-for-cam-newton/

Rumors of $60 million guaranteed. If this is what Newton gets, I can only imagine what Andrew Luck will get.

What about Wilson?

Anyways... Congrats to superman
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2015, 06:53 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Let's forget about how it cost them just $6.8m that first year when they needed to sign a lot of players and how his agent said at the time of the signing that he knew this was only a 3 year contract that would be renegotiated.

You can't burn both ends of the candle. You've been saying that the contract keeps looking better and better and Ozzie is a genius. 

First thing, Flacco needs to be agreeable to renegotiating. Even when he does, he's going to get all the money eventually. He's not giving any back.
Second, and most importantly; you can't say it continues to look better and better and then say "well, he's going to renegotiate..." If he has to renegotiate, it wasn't a very good contract. It was a contract the Ravens had to sign due to the circumstances and they now have to hope/believe Flacco is going to help by moving some of the money.

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2015, 07:59 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You can't burn both ends of the candle. You've been saying that the contract keeps looking better and better and Ozzie is a genius. 

First thing, Flacco needs to be agreeable to renegotiating. Even when he does, he's going to get all the money eventually. He's not giving any back.
Second, and most importantly; you can't say it continues to look better and better and then say "well, he's going to renegotiate..." If he has to renegotiate, it wasn't a very good contract. It was a contract the Ravens had to sign due to the circumstances and they now have to hope/believe Flacco is going to help by moving some of the money.

There's a very strong belief that this type of adjustment were a foregone conclusion during initial agreements anyways.
Reply/Quote
Flacco has a SB ring, he is obviously worth the $ because any fan of any team would probably pay around the 100 mil mark for a title win. Move on.

Cam Newton has taken very pedestrian teams into the playoffs. Cam Newton is better than a handful of QBs in the league. I'm not saying I would pay him that kind of money if I were CAR, but that's how desperate the league is for QBs right now. Go back and look at the names of some of the starters from last year.

Are you telling me a team like CLE wouldn't give up everything to have Cam Newton? What about the Jets or da Bears? How about the Titans or Bucs?(before the draft) Look at STL or BUF. Alex Smith is a backup posing as a starter out in KC. What about that dumpster fire out in Washington? Hell, the Broncos would probably give up noodle arm Manning and his bloated team killing contract for Cam Newton.

Bottom line, if you have a QB that could start for at least 10 other teams....you are probably going to wind up paying around 20+ mil for that QB.
Reply/Quote