Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam Newton Pulling Race Card
(02-03-2016, 01:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mike Vick?  Seriously?  the guy known for flipping the bird to fans and media?  That is the guy who is not as bad a Cam?

Let me slow down the convo for you again Perry......go back and look at the part of GM's post I bolded.  Now, look at my response (that you quoted) to that bolded part and realize the context of said convo.  Please try and keep up. ThumbsUp

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 12:44 PM)GMDino Wrote: I know...I'm just continuing the conversation about him saying it is race in response to the question he was asked.

Honestly if HE thinks it is racism that's his to own and he has his own experiences to draw from.  I just wish he would have answered differently.

No one has explained why this man is getting far more scrutiny than other QBs have, en route to Super Bowl appearances, even though they've all done similar things, if not worse. I detailed about a half dozen Super Bowl QBs myself. Didn't hear nearly the same outcry with any of them. Why?

Media has played more of a role with the "race" thing just as much as the scrutiny.
I think the "level of vitriol" mostly comes from the media. And by media I don't just mean ESPN but the whole glut of blogs and other nonsense dying for clicks. If you actually talk to real human beings, in the real world, hardly anyone cares. But 24/7 internet/media needs something to spike the hits.

But the media knows how to suck people in, they know how to draw the racists out of the shadows, then when they inevitably show up it gets paraded around front and center and made to look like it's this overwhelming tidal wave of opinion..... just the same way every other minor little detail gets overblown every day, whether it's about some Kardashian "dissing" some dumbass on twitter, or it's Donald Trump's hair, or the width of the pulp fibers on Obama's birth certificate. Everything is a Big Deal if we let them convince us that it is.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 02:17 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: No one has explained why this man is getting far more scrutiny than other QBs have, en route to Super Bowl appearances, even though they've all done similar things, if not worse. I detailed about a half dozen Super Bowl QBs myself. Didn't hear nearly the same outcry with any of them. Why?

Media has played more of a role with the "race" thing just as much as the scrutiny.
I think the "level of vitriol" mostly comes from the media. And by media I don't just mean ESPN but the whole glut of blogs and other nonsense dying for clicks. If you actually talk to real human beings, in the real world, hardly anyone cares. But 24/7 internet/media needs something to spike the hits.

But the media knows how to suck people in, they know how to draw the racists out of the shadows, then when they inevitably show up it gets paraded around front and center and made to look like it's this overwhelming tidal wave of opinion..... just the same way every other minor little detail gets overblown every day, whether it's about some Kardashian "dissing" some dumbass on twitter, or it's Donald Trump's hair, or the width of the pulp fibers on Obama's birth certificate. Everything is a Big Deal if we let them convince us that it is.

Abso-damn-lutely spot on.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 02:17 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: No one has explained why this man is getting far more scrutiny than other QBs have, en route to Super Bowl appearances, even though they've all done similar things, if not worse. I detailed about a half dozen Super Bowl QBs myself. Didn't hear nearly the same outcry with any of them. Why?

This guy gets the world. rep
Reply/Quote

Probably because he displays more ego than the rest?

He's placed himself out there and has said (repeatedly and rightfully) that he's not going to change.  He owns that he is a free spirit.  He just doesn't like to be criticized for it.

I agree the media plays the race card more than the players...but Cam just enabled them with his response.

Lastly, *is* he getting more scrutiny?  Or is it the short memory we have when it comes to the newest thing to get upset about?

Wasn't Wilson accused of not being "black enough" during the season before he won a Super Bowl?

In this case it is Super Bowl week...everything gets amplified.  I'm sure Manning is getting peppered for being "old" too.  Is that ageinsm unlike ever seen during a run up to a Super Bowl?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 04:34 PM)GMDino Wrote: Probably because he displays more ego than the rest?

Nervous  Whaaaat?!!

How is what Cam displays more ego than what Rodgers Brady, Manning  have done? And again why didn't they have as much scrunity about it leading to a Superbowl? Instead of talking about possible MVP they talk more about this crap fest.

(02-03-2016, 04:34 PM)GMDino Wrote: He's placed himself out there and has said (repeatedly and rightfully) that he's not going to change.  He owns that he is a free spirit.  He just doesn't like to be criticized for it.
He was being scrutinized loooooong before that comment. So what is the excuse before that?

I agree the media plays the race card more than the players...but Cam just enabled them with his response.

(02-03-2016, 04:34 PM)GMDino Wrote: Lastly, *is* he getting more scrutiny?  Or is it the short memory we have when it comes to the newest thing to get upset about?

Wasn't Wilson accused of not being "black enough" during the season before he won a Super Bowl?
Hell to the yeah he is getting way more "scrutiny" than any other QB has. Celebrates too much! They didn't talk about Wilson like this or any other.  

Show us other QBs that have had this much press about. No one has answered the question as to why the other QBs with questionable characters and checkered egos didn't get this level of scrutiny when they made the Super Bowl.

(02-03-2016, 04:34 PM)GMDino Wrote: In this case it is Super Bowl week...everything gets amplified.  I'm sure Manning is getting peppered for being "old" too.  Is that ageinsm unlike ever seen during a run up to a Super Bowl?
Now watch when this Super Bowl comes around. When Brady came out of that tunnel by himself, the masses saw it as this 'epic' moment, like some general coming out to lead his men. Now watch what happens if Cam Newton does that same thing and watch the level of vitriol for him spike to unspeakable heights.  Sick
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 05:07 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: Nervous  Whaaaat?!!

How is what Cam displays more ego than what Rodgers Brady, Manning  have done? And again why didn't they have as much scrunity about it leading to a Superbowl? Instead of talking about possible MVP they talk more about this crap fest.

He was being scrutinized loooooong before that comment. So what is the excuse before that?

Hell to the yeah he is getting way more "scrutiny" than any other QB has. Celebrates too much! They didn't talk about Wilson like this or any other.  

Show us other QBs that have had this much press about. No one has answered the question as to why the other QBs with questionable characters and checkered egos didn't get this level of scrutiny when they made the Super Bowl.

In this case it is Super Bowl week...everything gets amplified.  I'm sure Manning is getting peppered for being "old" too.  Is that ageinsm unlike ever seen during a run up to a Super Bowl?
Now watch when this Super Bowl comes around. When Brady came out of that tunnel by himself, the masses saw it as this 'epic' moment, like some general coming out to lead his men. Now watch what happens if Cam Newton does that same thing and watch the level of vitriol for him spike to unspeakable heights.  Sick
[/quote]

So Ben's GA incident didn't get this much play in 2011?  Which, incidentally lowered the stuff that Rodgers might have got?  Other than talk about him being gay?

Brady didn't get drilled for deflategate?  Or before that for his scoring prediction against the Giants?

Are you SURE no one have ever been scrutinized as much?

Understand that I am not arguing he *isn't* getting a lot of scrutiny.....I'm discussing if this isn't a "year of the shark" thing.  When the news was full of shark attacks and warnings and in reality there were FEWER shark attacks that year than the one before it.

Also remember, times change. I'm sure Doug Williams faced a LOT of scrutiny during his Super Bowl time.  But we didn't have 24 hour sports channels and the internet to keep feeding the beast back then.  
Reply/Quote
Wait...  Cam Newton is black?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 05:25 PM)GMDino Wrote: So Ben's GA incident didn't get this much play in 2011?  Which, incidentally lowered the stuff that Rodgers might have got?  Other than talk about him being gay?
Scrutiny is not just scrutiny. Ray Rice scrutiny and DeSean Jackson scrutiny are two different types of scrutiny.

(02-03-2016, 05:25 PM)GMDino Wrote: Brady didn't get drilled for deflategate?  Or before that for his scoring prediction against the Giants?

Deflate gate had nothing to do with Brady Cussing out a Steeler and pointing his finger at him after scoring, or bitching to the refs for a flag on every play. Or jawing at defenders whenever they hit him too hard. Or coming out of the tunnel for the Super Bowl all by himself like he's God on earth.

(02-03-2016, 05:25 PM)GMDino Wrote: Are you SURE no one have ever been scrutinized as much?

That was about him deflating footballs. It had nothing to do with his celebrations, arrogant ego and condescending mannerisms. You know good and well that is not the comparison we are talking about.  

and again....for dancing? celebrating? Lol.

(02-03-2016, 05:25 PM)GMDino Wrote: Understand that I am not arguing he *isn't* getting a lot of scrutiny.....I'm discussing if this isn't a "year of the shark" thing.  When the news was full of shark attacks and warnings and in reality there were FEWER shark attacks that year than the one before it.

I 100% agree....great point.

(02-03-2016, 05:25 PM)GMDino Wrote: Also remember, times change. I'm sure Doug Williams faced a LOT of scrutiny during his Super Bowl time.  But we didn't have 24 hour sports channels and the internet to keep feeding the beast back then.  
There's no reason to believe that Cam won't be winning and dabbing in the future, which is good for everyone that isn't old and stuck in the past.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 11:56 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Except he does have hard evidence.

White QB Aaron Rodgers celebrates after a td and they make a series of commercials featuring his behavior.

Cam celebrates after a td and he gets letters calling him a "spoiled brat".

First,  Rodgers won a Super Bowl and then started to get endorsements.  Also endorsements or lack there of do not mean racism, businesses are for profit.. I am sure that if Cam wins the Super Bowl you will see him in a few commercials.

As for letters calling him a "spoiled brat" what racial statement is that ???? also a letter from a individual person does not compare to a business decision on what QB they want for a commercial. 
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 01:24 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I recall everyone loving the shit out of RG3 his rookie year, until his knee got blown out due to Shanahan being an irresponsible HC. Then when he wasn't the same and started sucking, people started hating on him.

People called Colin Kaepernick (who I think is half?) the "next Joe Montana" until they realized he can only throw the ball one speed (really hard) and doesn't know how to read a defense or go through his progression.

Hell, Dalton is the whitest QB possible (a ginger) and people absolutely have hated the shit out of him from Day 1 with no good reason. If he finishes his career at this same W-L rate, he'll have a top 10 all time winning %. People still hate his guts. Lol

Some people STILL TO THIS DAY have a man crush on Mike Vick for some reason, even though he's proven he can't play the QB position, and has been in jail, and murdered just a ton of dogs.

Race really has little to do with if people like a QB or not.

- - - - -
Race card is weak. Maybe you should look in the mirror and realize you are a great football player, but you also kind of come off as a bit of a self absorbed douche and THAT is why people don't like you. Just sayin.

Nailed it
Reply/Quote
Here is Cam before this season:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/05/cam_newton_so_much_of_my_talen.html

Quote:Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton is planning to rebound after an injury-filled 2014 season. The former Auburn star dealt with ankle surgery, a hairline rib fracture and a back injury suffered in a traffic accident last season. Consequently, he missed two games and posted the lowest passing and rushing stats of his four NFL seasons.

Despite that, Carolina became the first team to win consecutive NFC South titles, and Newton picked up his first postseason victory as an NFL quarterback.

Feeling much better this offseason, Newton sees himself with a unique opportunity as a 6-foot-6, 260-pound quarterback. Detractors point to what Newton hasn't accomplished, given his physical talent and pedigree as a former No. 1 draft pick and Heisman Trophy winner.

During a one-on-one interview with Morgan Fogarty of WCCB-TV in Charlotte earlier this week, Newton was asked: "You have been called the NFL's greatest talent as well as the NFL's greatest unknown. Do you agree with that?"

Newton answered: "Absolutely not. And I say this with the most humility, but I don't think nobody has ever been who I'm trying to be. Nobody has the size, nobody has the speed, nobody has the arm strength, nobody had the intangibles that I've had. I'm not saying that to say I'm a one-on-one type of person that this league will never see another. No, I'm not saying that. Hear me out. I'm just saying that so much of my talents have not been seen in one person." 

So yeah, ego.   Smirk

Only difference is *this* season he played as well as he thinks he can.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 01:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: Here is Cam before this season:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/05/cam_newton_so_much_of_my_talen.html

So yeah, ego.   Smirk

Only difference is *this* season he played as well as he thinks he can.

So is his "ego" any worse than the "ego" of Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Rivers, Brees?

Nope

Yet there is so much media coverage, article, blogs, etc on celebrations not many on his MVP type season or teams 15-1 season or SB run.
All those QBs have had a  "down" year in Careers.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 02:52 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: So is his "ego" any worse than the "ego" of Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Rivers, Brees?

Nope

Yet there is so much media coverage, article, blogs, etc on celebrations not many on his MVP type season or teams 15-1 season or SB run.
All those QBs have had a  "down" year in Careers.

I just wanted to point out that Cam thinks Cam is pretty damn awesome.  When was the last time any of the guys listed had an interview where they said anything like what I quoted Newton saying? 

Actually I've seen plenty on Brady's ego and how he reacts to good plays and bad plays.  But, to be fair, the folks you listed are beloved by so much of the media because they are "winners".  When / if the Panthers win the Super Bowl Cam will get that treatment too.  
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 03:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: I just wanted to point out that Cam thinks Cam is pretty damn awesome.

Gotcha....and he should. All players should.

(02-04-2016, 03:14 PM)GMDino Wrote:  When was the last time any of the guys listed had an interview where they said anything like what I quoted Newton saying

When was the last time any of those guys listed was asked a question like what you quoted was asked to Newton??

He was under just as much scrutiny loooong before the interview. What's the next excuse?

(02-04-2016, 03:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: Actually I've seen plenty on Brady's ego and how he reacts to good plays and bad plays.  But, to be fair, the folks you listed are beloved by so much of the media because they are "winners".  When / if the Panthers win the Super Bowl Cam will get that treatment too.  

Hmmmmmm.....Again the QBs I mentioned did not get the same amount of scrutiny even before they were "winners". or time leading up to a SB appearance.
So I don't see the comparison or how that's relevant.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 03:48 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: Gotcha....and he should. All players should.

When was the last time any of those guys listed was asked a question like what you quoted was asked to Newton??

He was under just as much scrutiny loooong before the interview. What's the next excuse?

Hmmmmmm.....Again the QBs I mentioned did not get the same amount of scrutiny even before they were "winners". or time leading up to a SB appearance.
So I don't see the comparison or how that's relevant.

Have they done a 60 minutes piece on Newton yet?  Rodgers got one in 2012 (after the Super Bowl win).

He wasn't happy with it or how he was portrayed.

What was the internet and social media like before Brees, Brady & Manning won a Super Bowl?

And are you seriously adding Rivers to a group you don't think has had any scrutiny or criticism?

Newton better learn how to handle bad press if complaints about his celebrations bother him this much.  I suppose we'll see how he does going forward.

[Image: 7ca0qw.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 04:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: Have they done a 60 minutes piece on Newton yet?  Rodgers got one in 2012 (after the Super Bowl win).

He wasn't happy with it or how he was portrayed.

Ok a 60 min piece is far worse than all of this frenzy???? Yeah ok got it ThumbsUp

(02-04-2016, 04:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: What was the internet and social media like before Brees, Brady & Manning won a Super Bowl?

LOL come on GMDino....you are really reaching with that.

(02-04-2016, 04:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: And are you seriously adding Rivers to a group you don't think has had any scrutiny or criticism?
It's not about if other's have gotten criticized of scrutinized.

It's not about any scrutiny.....it's the amount of attention and scrutiny his "ego", dancing and celebration have gotten. When comparing apples to apples with other's that have done the same.... it's no comparison.

(02-04-2016, 04:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: Newton better learn how to handle bad press if complaints about his celebrations bother him this much.  I suppose we'll see how he does going forward.

I haven't seen anything that says it bothers him. Where did you read or hear that? Or that's is GMDino's opinion?
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 04:49 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: Ok a 60 min piece is far worse than all of this frenzy???? Yeah ok got it ThumbsUp

It's not about any scrutiny.....it's the amount of attention and scrutiny his "ego", dancing and celebration have gotten. When comparing apples to apples with other's that have done the same.... it's no comparison.

I haven't seen anything that says it bothers him. Where did you read or hear that? Or that's is GMDino's opinion?

I used the 60 minutes story as a comparison to one interview and a couple on line articles.

Which lead into the fact that there ARE on line articles and click bait pieces that can say Newton and racism in the same title just for hits.  (Summer of the shark stuff again.)

I think it bothers him based on how he reacts when asked.

I also think that's part of the Cam that never grew up.   I've always said he was a bad loser and a bad winner.  That's (hopefully) a sign of still be young.

But I do enjoy the back and forth on it!
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 04:49 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: Ok a 60 min piece is far worse than all of this frenzy???? Yeah ok got it ThumbsUp

I cant believe you are trying to act like Cam is the only QB to ever be scrutinized. It comes with the position. 

Kids arent allowed to dance in pop warner because it is bad sportsmanship. They throw flags for celebrations in the NFL. Icky woods had his dance banned mid season.

He gets scrutinized because 1 he is a QB and 2 he has such poor sportsmanship he would celebrate if he scored a TD against the little sisters of the poor.

It is not racist for a QB to be scrutinized and it is not racist when opposing teams fans dont like him.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 05:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: I used the 60 minutes story as a comparison to one interview and a couple on line articles.

Oh.......I didn't realize that the 60 min story asked Rodgers why some view his celebratory pelvic thrust as IMMATURE, UNPROFESSIONAL, and other CHARACTER attacks people think are outta bounds.  Ninja

(02-04-2016, 05:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: Which lead into the fact that there ARE on line articles and click bait pieces that can say Newton and racism in the same title just for hits.  (Summer of the shark stuff again.)

[quote='GMDino' pid='174471' dateline='1454617656']

I think it bothers him based on how he reacts when asked.

Reacted? Or reacts??

On Tuesday, Newton told reporters "it's not an issue" when a reporter asked him about the stereotype of black quarterbacks. "It's an issue for you," he said,

adding: "I don't even want to touch on the topic of black quarterback, because I think this game is bigger than black, white or even green. So I think we limit ourselves when we just label ourselves just black, this, that and the third."

Who is bringing it up? Newton or media?

(02-04-2016, 05:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: I also think that's part of the Cam that never grew up.   I've always said he was a bad loser and a bad winner.  That's (hopefully) a sign of still be young.

Agreed....he never interviewed well IMO.

(02-04-2016, 05:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: But I do enjoy the back and forth on it!

Me too brother!
Reply/Quote