Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam Sample
Does the signing of Rankins spell the end for Cam?

Cam was probably our best hope for a 3T to emerge out of the draft picks we made recently and I believe he has played well for his draft position and has flashed in big games in the playoffs. But not enough.

He also doesn't have a spot at the DE position with Murray and Ossai backing up Trey and Sam. Both he and Ossai had quiet years last season. Ossai seems to at least have a position which gives him a heads up on a spot.

Sample can play both DE and DT but may never find a home at either.

When the numbers play out assuming we draft a DT or two, Samples fall may be quicker than Ossai's. And for awhile there I thought he was the one that would stick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 11:58 AM)jj22 Wrote: Does the signing of Rankins spell the end for Cam?

Cam was probably our best hope for a 3T to emerge out of the draft picks we made recently and I believe he has played well for his draft position and has flashed in big games in the playoffs. But not enough.

He also doesn't have a spot at the DE position with Murray and Ossai backing up Trey and Sam. Both he and Ossai had quiet years last season. Ossai seems to at least have a position which gives him a heads up on a spot.

When the numbers play out assuming we draft a DT or two, Samples fall may be quicker than Ossai's. And for awhile there I thought he was the one that would stick.

I don't see Sample being cut, more likely to be traded in my opinion or make the team.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Sample is mostly a DE. Rankins a DT.

So, no.
Reply/Quote
Bengals carry 5 defensive ends. Hendrickson, Hubbard, Murphy, Sample, Ossai. Bengals have been looking at late round prospects like Mo Kamara and Gabriel Murphy (they seem to like 1st round Laiatu Latu too). I see those guys challenging Joseph Ossai before Sample.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 11:58 AM)jj22 Wrote: Does the signing of Rankins spell the end for Cam?

Versatility is greatly valued for bench players.  The fact that Sample can play both edge and 3 tech makes him a pretty valuable rotation player/spot starter.  
Reply/Quote
For the amount of snaps per game that he plays, Sample is fairly productive. Not only is he part of the 3rd down package, but don't they also use him in those "5 front" looks? Barring any unforeseen developments, I can't see why he wouldn't play out the final year of his rookie deal.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If it spells the end for anyone it would be Zac Carter.
Reply/Quote
They play different positions
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
From Rankins yes, but Sample was used as a rush tackle in a role not needed if they have 3T's in Hill and Rankins splitting the duty.

His role as a run stuffing DE also is in jeopardy as Murphy began taking those snaps and will continue to this year.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 12:52 PM)Synric Wrote: Bengals carry 5 defensive ends. Hendrickson, Hubbard, Murphy, Sample, Ossai. Bengals have been looking at late round prospects like Mo Kamara and Gabriel Murphy (they seem to like 1st round Laiatu Latu too). I see those guys challenging Joseph Ossai before Sample.

Same. Ossai is the dude that has been disappointing and I have been about the biggest Ossai guy around. He had a good game against 
the Stains in the last game, but overall Ossai is the guy that could be the odd man out over Cam Sample who actually is solid a lot of the 
time, but he is an End, not a DT as Ike says, so Rankins does not influence these guys. Carter is the odd man out at DT.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 01:56 PM)jj22 Wrote: From Rankins yes, but Sample was used as a rush tackle in a role not needed if they have 3T's in Hill and Rankins splitting the duty.

His role as a run stuffing DE also is in jeopardy as Murphy began taking those snaps and will continue to this year.
I see Hill playing more NT , he did it last year and some formations we don't have true NT
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 04:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I see Hill playing more NT , he did it last year and some formations we don't have true NT

Could definitely see that with BJ. He CAN play NT, from what Rankins says he can play NT too, but he seems undersized and is more of a
pass rushing 3-tech IMO.
Reply/Quote
The draft likely has a bigger impact on Sample and possibly Carter than the signing of Rankins.

Reply/Quote
Sample and Ossai were mistakes. Both picks should have been o-linemen. They used a high 3rd and a high 4th on scheduled backups as they signed Hendirckson and were in talks to extend Hubbard. Burrow was still recovering from knee surgery as the whole league knew that the Bengals had one of the worst o-lines in the league for years and the Bengals are chasing backup Defensive Ends.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 05:52 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Sample and Ossai were mistakes. Both picks should have been o-linemen. 

This is not really true, the oline talent wasnt good in the 3rd and the 4th of that draft.

Reply/Quote
If any DT goes it would be Hill(dont see it happening nor saying it should happen). The Bengals would save 7 million in cap(unless their was a roster bonus due that I'm unaware of) if they cut him.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Rankins impacts Carter not Hill. Hill and Rankins are the 3T rotation so to speak giving us interior pass rush. NT will likely come to us by draft and a signing.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 06:55 PM)casear2727 Wrote: This is not really true, the oline talent wasnt good in the 3rd and the 4th of that draft.

Starters for the Super Bowl
LT - Williams - gave up the most sacks for two years before being moved to RT where he was still below average.
LG - Spain - never played again
C - Hopkins - never played again
RG - Adeniji - played a total of 17 Special Team snaps for Minnesota last year, currently a Brown
RT - Prince - didn't play again until 10 Special Team snaps the first two weeks last year for Atlanta before being waived

Plenty of 2021 o-linemen drafted in the 3rd and 4th round that are NFL starters today. Most of those guys above can't even get on a roster.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 05:52 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Sample and Ossai were mistakes. Both picks should have been o-linemen. They used a high 3rd and a high 4th on scheduled backups as they signed Hendirckson and were in talks to extend Hubbard. Burrow was still recovering from knee surgery as the whole league knew that the Bengals had one of the worst o-lines in the league for years and the Bengals are chasing backup Defensive Ends.

(03-19-2024, 06:55 PM)casear2727 Wrote: This is not really true, the oline talent wasnt good in the 3rd and the 4th of that draft.

(03-20-2024, 09:18 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Starters for the Super Bowl
LT - Williams - gave up the most sacks for two years before being moved to RT where he was still below average.
LG - Spain - never played again
C - Hopkins - never played again
RG - Adeniji - played a total of 17 Special Team snaps for Minnesota last year, currently a Brown
RT - Prince - didn't play again until 10 Special Team snaps the first two weeks last year for Atlanta before being waived

Plenty of 2021 o-linemen drafted in the 3rd and 4th round that are NFL starters today. Most of those guys above can't even get on a roster.
If we're using hindsight then you draft Humphrey over Carmen in the 2nd and Trey Smith over Trey Hill in the 6th.

Ossai was considered a first RD prospect by many and the value was too good to pass up by Duke. Also if we're redrafting the third you probably pick Osa Odighizuwa, Milton Williams, or Alim Mcneil over Ossai.

People forget but Sample actually made a huge play in the Divisional Round that enabled us to beat the Titans  that year.

Also;I will say this! I don't think Lou has used either player right. Sample should be more of a Nickle DT and Ossai should be a Edge. For some reason they have flipped those roles.
Reply/Quote
Ossai is now healthy. If he stays that way, he will make a lot of noise this year. You read it here first.
Reply/Quote