Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam Sample
(03-21-2024, 10:47 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Falele and  Topou were not draft picks ....both were  FA signings. I believe Topou went undrafted and Falele was a 4th rounder from Jags that eventually was cut 

Not to mention Topou was Reader's sub who has played a large amount of the snaps. It's hard to break into a starting position when you have players like Reader and Hill playing your position.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 10:47 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Falele and  Topou were not draft picks ....both were  FA signings. I believe Topou went undrafted and Falele was a 4th rounder from Jags that eventually was cut 

Does it matter?  They both were picked by the Bengals staff, weather by draft pick, UDFA or UFA cut from team that did draft.  My point is that people around here had high hopes for their success, and all 5 that I listed haven't been close to ever being named a starter coming out of camp.  Hell, just for fun, I'll throw Carl Lawson on there. People on here were demonstrably upset when the team allowed him to walk to the Jets. (Which actually turned out to be a good thing, as they signed Trey Hendrickson) And I believe that as of now, Lawson is still unsigned.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 01:29 AM)casear2727 Wrote: You have some bad takes and this was one.   I tried to be nice and agree with your premise, but you were factually wrong and now you want to die on this mountain?  You had no idea what olinemen were drafted in rounds 3 & 4.  

You tried to be nice? Where? When you told me to stop talking out of my ass because I don't buy your premise?

And again, your opinion does not equate to fact. Please point out where I was factually wrong while at the same time, you're talking out of your ass and you are factually wrong accusing me of not knowing who was drafted https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/draft.htm. Are you going to threaten to post stats again?
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 10:14 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ossai, Sample, Carter, Falele, Tupou. What do they all have in common?  They were all guys selected by the team in recent years, whom many of us were excited for their arrival, yet none have ever developed enough to even have a sniff of being in a conversation about challenging for a starting spot.  Mellow

His name is Tufele BTW...

And yeah, our DL coach Hobby could do a better job developing players, specifically Carter who was a relatively high pick.

Too bad with the Rankins signing it pretty much says we have given up on Carter.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 11:00 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: You tried to be nice? Where? When you told me to stop talking out of my ass because I don't buy your premise?

And again, your opinion does not equate to fact. Please point out where I was factually wrong while at the same time, you're talking out of your ass and you are factually wrong accusing me of not knowing who was drafted https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/draft.htm. Are you going to threaten to post stats again?

From your own link:

3rd Round
Christiansen has not been great, broke his ankle in 2022, missed all of last season with a torn bicep. 
Davis NEVER played.  He had a handful of snaps in 9 games over 3 years.
Green has NOT been good. He played ZERO snaps in 2022 not injured, he missed last season with a torn meniscus.
Brown was barely Volson level his 1st 2 seasons, and this past year he did well.
Cleveland has played 7 full games in 3 years.
Hainsey played 31 snaps in 2021, was good in 2022, was Volson level in 2023 with 5 sacks, 26 hurries & 33 pressures.
Meinerz, a Center, has been good.

4th Round
Dalman is a very good run blocker but a worse pass blocker than Volson.
Moore has NOT been good. Gives up 8 sacks and 40 hurries annually, was terrible in 2023 in PBLK.
Ball played 40 snaps in 3 years with a career PBLK score of 29.1
Newman has NOT been good.  He is much worse than Volson lost his job in 2022 played in 8 games since 2021.

You made a random comment with no facts.  But you dont have the aptitude to accept that, and you insist on arguing soemthing that is easily proven.  Cant wait for your next gem of sage football commentary.

Reply/Quote
LOL

My point still stands, Ossai and Sample were both mistake picks when this team needed o-line. Most of those guys that you listed were better than quite a few of the stiffs on the Bengals o-line going into training camp. The FACT that they are still in the league and most of that 2021 Bengals o-line are not in the league is exactly what I was pointing out.

I see that you joined in September of '21, well that explains a lot. If you were here six months prior, you would have experienced the ''Team Chase vs Team Sewell'' debates. One of the main arguments from Team Chase was ''This is a deep OL draft. You can get quality into the 4th round'', mainly because this was the consensus of most draft sites leading up to the draft. But, as we sit here with another season where the star QB didn't finish the season due to another hit from a non-sack, I guess you're right. A backup DE with a sack every 9 and a half games is more important than depth on the o-line. Wasn't it the lack of depth on the o-line at the end of the season in 2022 the main reason as to why they missed the Super Bowl?

I also see that you like comparing the 2021 draft picks to Cordell Volson, which is hilarious because Volson is a by-product of them failing the team in 2021. They chose to draft for facing KC instead of the AFC North in 2021 and continued it the following year. Hill, CTB, and undersized AFC North DT Carter before grabbing a late 4th round OT and moved him to LG. They started him and kept him in there, regardless of his poor performances. I believe that the team would be better today, if they would have had that approach with Carman or another o-lineman in 2021, but all they did after picking Chase, outside of McPherson, was draft three OL projects and FOUR backup DL players.

And if Ossai and Sample weren't mistakes, why did they draft Myles Murphy just two years later? Spending a first round pick on another backup DE? Eventually, mistakes like that catch up to teams.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote