Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Football ? No Problem
With the canceling of the pre-season games, it looks like the NFL will now be on hold to starting a season in 2020. Its sad, but its the right thing to do. It will effect many jobs for those who work at the sports facilities and stadiums. But I have a very good back up plan. I have hundreds of NFL games on dvd I have collected for 30 yrs. Not only will I be watching past Bengals games but many other games as well. So for me I have plenty of entertainment to keep me occupied all year long.
Reply/Quote
I mean, if you like reliving our unfruitful past then sure!

Personally, I was really looking forward to this season... new franchise QB, I’ve been stuck at home since March... need something to distract from the monotony for quarantine life.

It’s ok though, I suppose the election will bring plenty of drama. it will give me the same feels as watching a steeler game. Bound to get screwed and the scumbags always find a way to win!
Reply/Quote
I know how you feel about the lack luster seasons this team as produced. But there are games that were nice wins against the Steelers and teams like the Cowboys, and going back to the late 80's with big time playoff wins against the Bills, & Seahawks etc. Going back to the days of Boomer were better times. Then the 90's brought this team to the bottom. QB's like David Klinger, and others like Neil O'Donnell, Jeff Blake, John Kitna, etc.
I agree, there isn't much to be proud about this team in the past decade, but I' m a Bengals fan so I will take it as they come.
Reply/Quote
You guys should check out the National Rugby League from Australia, toughest Rugby competition in the world and has some similarities to the NFL. This is last weeks game for the team I support.

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2020, 11:57 AM)Bigcatfan Wrote: I know how you feel about the lack luster seasons this team as produced. But there are games that were nice wins against the Steelers and teams like the Cowboys, and going back to the late 80's with big time playoff wins against the Bills, & Seahawks etc. Going back to the days of Boomer were better times. Then the 90's brought this team to the bottom. QB's like David Klinger, and others like Neil O'Donnell, Jeff Blake, John Kitna, etc.
  I agree, there isn't much to be proud about this team in the past decade, but I' m a Bengals fan so I will take it as they come.

Wuhan virus is a mild pandemic compared to the one during the Cincinnati Reds 1918 season.  128 games during the season when the USA was at war in WWI and the Spanish flu was raging world wide with a final death toll estimated of 50 million to 100 million world wide.  If the folks from 100 years ago could figure out how to safely play ball while sending millions of young men and women to fight in Europe, why can't we?  That pandemic was a killer from all ages, unlike our Wuhan virus.

I say figure it out, because it can be safely mitigated, then "Play Ball"!
[Image: CIN-1918.png]

via Sports Logos.net
About logos
1918 Cincinnati Reds Statistics
1917 Season 1919 Season
Record: 68-60, Finished 3rd in National League (Schedule and Results)
Managers: Christy Mathewson (61-57) and Heinie Groh (7-3)

Ballpark: Redland Field
Attendance: 163,009 (4th of 8)
Park Factors: (Over 100 favors batters, under 100 favors pitchers.)
    Multi-year: Batting - 99, Pitching - 97
    One-year: Batting - 97, Pitching - 96
Pythagorean W-L: 68-60, 530 Runs, 496 Runs Allowed
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2020, 01:29 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Wuhan virus is a mild pandemic compared to the one during the Cincinnati Reds 1918 season.  128 games during the season when the USA was at war in WWI and the Spanish flu was raging world wide with a final death toll estimated of 50 million to 100 million world wide.  If the folks from 100 years ago could figure out how to safely play ball while sending millions of young men and women to fight in Europe, why can't we?  That pandemic was a killer from all ages, unlike our Wuhan virus.

via Sports Logos.net
About logos
1917 Season 1919 Season

There is a reason they are referred to as "The Greatest Generation." Pandemic, War, the great depression? Didn't matter, they faced it all. Tough as nails. Although generations alive today appear weaker (which I'm sure when measured by toughness, we don't hold a candle) we are more intelligent. Based on the science we have today, along with the speed of communication, we can process information much more quickly to make reasonable decisions. 

If we don't get our season, we just have to give the league and players the benefit of the doubt that it was best for them. If they play, they have a fear of dying or harming their health. If they don't play, we have the fear of waiting for an entire year before we can watch football again. I guess my fear is meaningless to theirs. However, it would be great to get a sense of normalcy again. Like you, I really hope they figure it out.

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2020, 01:29 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Wuhan virus is a mild pandemic compared to the one during the Cincinnati Reds 1918 season.  128 games during the season when the USA was at war in WWI and the Spanish flu was raging world wide with a final death toll estimated of 50 million to 100 million world wide.  If the folks from 100 years ago could figure out how to safely play ball while sending millions of young men and women to fight in Europe, why can't we?  That pandemic was a killer from all ages, unlike our Wuhan virus.

via Sports Logos.net
About logos
1917 Season 1919 Season

Death count might've been a lil lower had they not congregated in ballparks... No? I can only speak for myself, but I'm ok with not living my life by 1918- 1919 standards.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I deeply love my family and close friends. But in an average week during football season the biggest emotional events in my life are live football games. I am not talking about all live football games. I am talking about the games involving "MY" teams. The ones I have deep emotional attachments to. These games provide great drama, anticipation, anxiety, joy, and sorrow. You just can't get that from watching reruns of old games.

The experience of a live game is what makes me love sports so much. I would never trade live sports for the time I spend with my close friends and family. I love and cherish those times but the quotidian can not compete with the emotional highs and lows of a live sporting event involving "MY" team.
Reply/Quote
It's feeling more likely every day the season will be cancelled. Like 20 players have already opted out of this season.

But it's ok, more time for my 17 month old granddaughter. And I'll find plenty else to do.
Reply/Quote

via Sports Logos.net
About logos
1917 Season 1919 Season

We need to toughen up no doubt brother. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2020, 06:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We need to toughen up no doubt brother. Whatever

Yes... The Florida Flu or DeSantis Disease as it's also known is not nearly as bad.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2020, 07:52 PM)jason Wrote: Yes... The Florida Flu or DeSantis Disease as it's also known is not nearly as bad.

I've also heard it referred to as the Sarasota Sniffles.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2020, 07:54 PM)jason Wrote: I've also heard it referred to as the Sarasota Sniffles.

Sounds like a WNBA team.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2020, 08:00 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Sounds like a WNBA team.  

I need to make a call to Adam Silver... Hopefully it's not too late to get my squad into the bubble.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2020, 01:17 PM)AussieBengal Wrote: You guys should check out the National Rugby League from Australia, toughest Rugby competition in the world and has some similarities to the NFL. This is last weeks game for the team I support.

I have, and I enjoy it.  I put it on the TV at my son's place, last time I went to visit.  He don't quite get the game entirely, but he did notice some great hits and amazing athleticism.  So, I'm hoping that I at least planted a seed.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2020, 10:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I have, and I enjoy it.  I put it on the TV at my son's place, last time I went to visit.  He don't quite get the game entirely, but he did notice some great hits and amazing athleticism.  So, I'm hoping that I at least planted a seed.

That game in the video I posted earlier has some massive hits, a shame as a couple of players got some bad concussions. The Rugby League variation of Rugby really has a lot in common with American Football. Basically we have 6 downs, that can be reset because of infringements, no blocking or forward passes, the ball needs to be placed on the ground across the goal line to score a try (touchdown). Play is continuous so instead of a scrimmage after a tackle the tackled player stands up and rolls the ball back with his foot and play continues.

If you have any questions about the game I am happy to answer them, side I support is the Wests Tigers. Basically pretty much the same as supporting the Bengals lol.
Reply/Quote
Last Chance U: Laney came out on Netflix yesterday probably the best season and unfortunately the last season they are doing about JUCO Football.

I binged a few episodes last night with the new GF I met during the offseason. She asked me if I was really into football. Of course I said No, not really lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote