Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can ANY Coach Win Consistently Here?
(12-11-2017, 12:52 AM)Bambam Wrote: None of those coaches would work for Mike Brown.

I doubt we get any top assistants either.

Most likely we'll hire Guenther. Or some coach that gets fired...Jay Gruden or OBrien. Maybe Jim Haslett.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2017, 11:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know. His defenses melted down in the playoffs routinely.

You can't just look at scheme with a coach here though. They have to be able to scout. They have to be able to win with a roster with holes in it that won't be addressed. They have to come in and create a new culture.

They mostly did OK except for that first Houston game against Arian Foster  The real reason we lost all those games is because the offense could simply not make a single big play.  To win playoff games, you have to make big plays. ( Preferably in the 2nd half   LMAO )
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:16 AM)Von Cichlid Wrote: They mostly did OK except for that first Houston game against Arian Foster  The real reason we lost all those games is because the offense could simply not make a single big play.  To win playoff games, you have to make big plays. ( Preferably in the 2nd half   LMAO )

The defense gave up a lot of running yards in some of those games.

People focus on Dalton being out against the Steelers...but Bell was out for them and they still rushed for A LOT of yards with guys off the street.

The thing is, the Bengals find ways to lose.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2017, 11:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Thinking McDaniels would want to come here and be the HC is a laugh because we couldn't wrap our heads around why Hue would want to go to a lousy franchise and be HC when he can be a co-ordinator for a "good" one.  Except the Patriots are actually good, unlike us.

McDaniels went to the Broncos and alienated Cutler (he really wanted to bring Cassel with him) and Mashall and then traded up to get Tebow.  To compare that to here it would be like him coming here and telling Dalton and Green to take a hike, trying to get Jacoby Brisset here at all costs, and then trading up to take (insert gimmick QB here).  The guy knows he's a second banana and he's in the best place to be a second banana.

Anyone who wants to be a head coach, and there are dozens of coordinators that do, know that they will end up at a "lousy" team for their shot at it.  They make that move anyway because head coaching is their goal.  They all also walk in the door thinking/knowing they will be the coach that turns things around.  Ego plays into job decisions too. Good teams are not generally replacing head coaches and if one retires that is almost always an in-house hire for his replacement.

Josh McDaniels was not ready to be a head coach yet when he worked for the Broncos.  I would certainly hope he has learned more in the years since then.  Don't forget that Bill Belichick when he was with the Browns wasn't the guru he is now.  I'm not saying that McDaniels is the answer for sure but I not willing to take him off the short list simply because of the Bronco experience

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 12:40 PM)pally Wrote: Anyone who wants to be a head coach, and there are dozens of coordinators that do, know that they will end up at a "lousy" team for their shot at it.  They make that move anyway because head coaching is their goal.  They all also walk in the door thinking/knowing they will be the coach that turns things around.  Ego plays into job decisions too. Good teams are not generally replacing head coaches and if one retires that is almost always an in-house hire for his replacement.

Josh McDaniels was not ready to be a head coach yet when he worked for the Broncos.  I would certainly hope he has learned more in the years since then.  Don't forget that Bill Belichick when he was with the Browns wasn't the guru he is now.  I'm not saying that McDaniels is the answer for sure but I not willing to take him off the short list simply because of the Bronco experience

I see McDaniels as a terrible fit here. The Patriots have a massive amount of scouts. A great GM. A great HC.

He'd have none of that here.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 12:40 PM)pally Wrote: Anyone who wants to be a head coach, and there are dozens of coordinators that do, know that they will end up at a "lousy" team for their shot at it.  They make that move anyway because head coaching is their goal.  They all also walk in the door thinking/knowing they will be the coach that turns things around.  Ego plays into job decisions too. Good teams are not generally replacing head coaches and if one retires that is almost always an in-house hire for his replacement.

I don't disagree, but I think his failure as the Broncos' HC combined with the fact that he's with a team that is a SB favorite every year could combine to keep him away from here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2017, 11:32 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: It's not even a matter of they let the talent walk out the door, it's the way they let some of that talent walk. The ineptitude of the Brown family would be funny if it didn't cripple this franchise.

With Marvin Jones, the story was that they had agreed to terms and went to bed thinking he was coming back, but then he signed with the Lions. If he was the priority and you agreed to terms, why the **** didn't you get the contract signed immediately instead of going to bed? They allowed the Lions or anyone else the opportunity to swoop in and snag him. Until the contract is signed, why break off talks?

With Whitworth, they paraded around telling everyone he was coming back. I believe some of that was to try and negatively impact Whit's market. Again, if he was the priority, if he was the one guy that you wanted to bring back, why not get the deal done? Instead of saying he's coming back, instead of telling everyone he's coming back, why not have a signed contract in your back pocket?

Great points! They burn bridges.

We have lost so much talent and not replaced much of it. Whitworth/Zeitler/Jones/Nelson/Joseph/Justin Smith/Leon Hall/Andre Smith/Sanu...we've lost most of those guys and never replaced them. (Smith and Joseph were lost several years ago.)
Reply/Quote