Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Andy and the Bengals finally win a playoff game?
(07-09-2015, 10:12 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I don't think I can read your mind, I'm just going by what YOU have stated on here. You have some serious comprehension issues, my friend.

Read the above line from your original post that I cut out, YOU said that, right? Or did I "read your mind" to quote that from YOU?

There are plenty of very good reasons that people may not think our team will win a playoff game. When your original post was acting as if there aren't, that's where I had an issue. Now you're backtracking and saying you can understand why people feel that way.

Do you get it now? Do you understand my issue with your original statement? Your most recent post here is fine and if you said that to begin with, I wouldn't even have commented. I have an issue with people being entirely confused that anybody else would doubt our chances at a playoff win after a quarter century of not winning one. That was my issue with your original post, nothing else at all.

I still don't see where I stated I felt there were no reasons for any fan to think we will never win a playoff game.

I think you took one sentence out of context. Please read again and tell me where I specifically said there were no reasons for any fan to feel we can't win a playoff game. That was your trying to embellish my sentence and assuming I stated something I did not. If I thought that, I would made it very clear and lumped all fans into one bucket, I did not, I just referenced one talking point of some fans who may be taking an extreme view of now way possible for a myriad of reasons, in this case, it was now looking at our off season. Our off season to me always includes getting key players back from injury (projected to be ready by start of the season), free agency, the draft and the off season work of all players to be better in 2015 than they were in 2014. Rookies become 2nd year players and so on. I feel we don't have older players yet to be concerned with heading downward due to wear and tear yet in 2015.

I referenced our offseason which is one element added to the past getting to the playoffs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 10:24 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I still don't see where I stated I felt there were no reasons for any fan to think we will never win a playoff game.

I think you took one sentence out of context. Please read again and tell me where I specifically said there were no reasons for any fan to feel we can't win a playoff game. That was your trying to embellish my sentence and assuming I stated something I did not. If I thought that, I would made it very clear and lumped all fans into one bucket, I did not, I just referenced one talking point of some fans who may be taking an extreme view of now way possible for a myriad of reasons, in this case, it was now looking at our off season. Our off season to me always includes getting key players back from injury (projected to be ready by start of the season), free agency, the draft and the off season work of all players to be better in 2015 than they were in 2014. Rookies become 2nd year players and so on. I feel we don't have older players yet to be concerned with heading downward due to wear and tear yet in 2015.

I referenced our offseason which is one element added to the past getting to the playoffs.

Gotcha, but it may be a good idea to check your wording if you don't want people taking it "out of context". I took nothing out of context, by definition. I merely responded to your words as you said them, it's not my fault if you didn't type exactly what you meant.

When someone says "To answer the questions, can we win a playoff game, only a fan ignoring our off season would say no way", it literally means that ONLY a fan ignoring our offseason would say that we can't win a playoff game. Hence, you not believing there is a reason for any fan to say "no way" to us winning a playoff game this year. I'm not twisting your words, I'm not taking anything out of context. I'm reading them exactly as you wrote them.

Again, if you stated all of this other stuff in your original post and didn't make the blanket statement that "only a fan ignoring our offseason would say no way", I wouldn't have even commented on it to begin with. It's sort of funny if you think about it. You're actually mad at me for NOT misinterpreting what you said. I assumed your own written words reflected your thoughts, but apparently you meant something other than what you said. It's not a problem if someone has misspoken, I do it myself, but I can own to it when it happens and clarify what I originally meant without getting mad at someone for NOT being able to read my mind.
Reply/Quote
I am going to say YES, they can win a playoff game this season if they can be healthy at key spots heading in.

Although, I guess I am in the minority because winning 1 single playoff game is not exciting to me. With the developed talent on the Bengals since 2012, with the exception of one key guy, they should have already cleared that hurdle years ago. An AFC Championship game (win or lose)  would be exciting at this point. And the game after that? .... Freaking Halley's Comet territory.

IMO, this year or next are the ones to get to the Superbowl and establish experienced winning at a high level. The AFC is weak at the top and ripe for a new group to step up. I can sense a changing of the guard.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 10:22 AM)djs7685 Wrote: With your (awful) logic, that would mean playoff games are MORE important than the Super Bowl, since the Super Bowl comes as a result of doing well in the playoff games.

I wank in your general direction, ma'am.

Well no, the Super Bowl is an exception.

You don't hear franchises being measured by the amount of playoff games they win, you hear them being measured by Super Bowl wins.

I could give a f**k about playoffs wins. Give me Super Bowl wins.

I wank in your general direction, ma'am. Come back when you have a point to argue that isn't cloaked under a massive paragraph of incessant rambling.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 10:29 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Gotcha, but it may be a good idea to check your wording if you don't want people taking it "out of context". I took nothing out of context, by definition. I merely responded to your words as you said them, it's not my fault if you didn't type exactly what you meant.

When someone says "To answer the questions, can we win a playoff game, only a fan ignoring our off season would say no way", it literally means that ONLY a fan ignoring our offseason would say that we can't win a playoff game. Hence, you not believing there is a reason for any fan to say "no way" to us winning a playoff game this year. I'm not twisting your words, I'm not taking anything out of context. I'm reading them exactly as you wrote them.

Again, if you stated all of this other stuff in your original post and didn't make the blanket statement that "only a fan ignoring our offseason would say no way", I wouldn't have even commented on it to begin with. It's sort of funny if you think about it. You're actually mad at me for NOT misinterpreting what you said. I assumed your own written words reflected your thoughts, but apparently you meant something other than what you said. It's not a problem if someone has misspoken, I do it myself, but I can own to it when it happens and clarify what I originally meant without getting mad at someone for NOT being able to read my mind.

I mean, your arguing ad hominem. This post literally serves no purpose on this message board.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 10:46 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: Well no, the Super Bowl is an exception.

You don't hear franchises being measured by the amount of playoff games they win, you hear them being measured by Super Bowl wins.

I could give a f**k about playoffs wins. Give me Super Bowl wins.

I wank in your general direction, ma'am. Come back when you have a point to argue that isn't cloaked and hidden under a massive paragraph of incessant rambling. Fool.

[Image: u-mad-1.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 10:47 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: I mean, your arguing ad hominem. This post literally serves no purpose on this message board.

No, not at all. Do you know what that even means?

I'm just pointing out that he may want to clarify his words next time. Nobody took anything "out of context", I just took his words literally. Usually people get mad when someone takes something out of context or misinterprets their statement, so I try to take everything literally as people say it. Is that so bad?

If you want me to be a mind reader or intentionally misinterpret your posts, let me know, but that doesn't make much sense. Just say things as you MEAN THEM, it's not that hard.

You don't know what "literally" or "ad hominem" means, and you don't know which your/you're to use, yet my post serves no purpose on here? Maybe you should go back to school and get educated before trying to be a badass on the internet.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 10:46 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: I wank in your general direction, ma'am. Come back when you have a point to argue that isn't cloaked under a massive paragraph of incessant rambling. Fool.

I actually had a LOT of points, but some people are too stupid to take the 2 minutes that it takes to read a couple of paragraphs.

"omg he posted moar dan 12 werds? i dunno wat dat meens!!!!"
Reply/Quote
Harvey weighs in.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/17887/bengals-andy-dalton-playoff-game-why-finally-nfl

I believe he also published why he could not last week as well or maybe it was other writers he quoted.

I did not realize our OL gave up 3 sacks in last year's game. It appears the OL also played worse a year ago in the playoffs, a trend that seems to be consistent with our team/players playing worse in playoffs than in the regular season.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 10:56 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Harvey weighs in.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/17887/bengals-andy-dalton-playoff-game-why-finally-nfl

I believe he also published why he could not last week as well or maybe it was other writers he quoted.

I did not realize our OL gave up 3 sacks in last year's game. It appears the OL also played worse a year ago in the playoffs, a trend that seems to be consistent with our team/players playing worse in playoffs than in the regular season.

5 of the 9 hurries, 1 of the 3 hits, and 1 of the 3 sacks were all on the human turnstile, Eric Winston.

Let's hope we don't have to be playing anyone like that in next years game.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 10:50 AM)djs7685 Wrote: No, not at all. Do you know what that even means?

I'm just pointing out that he may want to clarify his words next time. Nobody took anything "out of context", I just took his words literally. Usually people get mad when someone takes something out of context or misinterprets their statement, so I try to take everything literally as people say it. Is that so bad?

If you want me to be a mind reader or intentionally misinterpret your posts, let me know, but that doesn't make much sense. Just say things as you MEAN THEM, it's not that hard.

You don't know what "literally" or "ad hominem" means, and you don't know which your/you're to use, yet my post serves no purpose on here? Maybe you should go back to school and get educated before trying to be a badass on the internet.

"1.
(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.
"vicious ad hominem attacks"
relating to or associated with a particular person."

As in your last comment directed towards me, indicating that I am uneducated.

You're arguing just to argue. Seems like somebody pissed in your Frosted Flakes this morning. Interesting.

I stand by my original point. The "playoff wins" narrative is just that. A narrative. It has no bearing on reality or the ultimate fate of this franchise. You have no argument for this.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 11:05 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: I stand by my original point. The "playoff wins" narrative is just that. A narrative. It has no bearing on reality or the ultimate fate of this franchise. You have no argument for this.

lol @ you still not understanding anything.

It's not a narrative, it's a very real thing.

If you want to get technical, nothing has "bearing on reality or the ultimate fate of this franchise" other than people buying tickets/merchandise and the team staying financially stable.

You're sounding like a real goofball with no real arguments and you refuse to actually refute my points by saying "oh noes a big paragraph so I cant read it!!!!!". How about you take the minute or two that it would take, read my other post, and try to refute my points instead of blatantly ignoring them claiming that I'M the one without an argument?

You have no argument for this.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 11:10 AM)djs7685 Wrote: lol @ you still not understanding anything.

It's not a narrative, it's a very real thing.

If you want to get technical, nothing has "bearing on reality or the ultimate fate of this franchise" other than people buying tickets/merchandise and the team staying financially stable.

You're sounding like a real goofball with no real arguments and you refuse to actually refute my points by saying "oh noes a big paragraph so I cant read it!!!!!". How about you take the minute or two that it would take, read my other post, and try to refute my points instead of blatantly ignoring them claiming that I'M the one without an argument?

You have no argument for this.

I read your post. Its length does it no justice, but regardless of that quality it is still a jumbled mess of jibber jabber and nonsense.

You say that playoff games are more important than other games, and that the Bengals (specifically, Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis) cannot win a playoff game. I can sympathize with this point, but I refuse to put the blame soley on them. The blame mainly goes to the organization overall. To Mike Brown. To having one of the smallest scouting departments in the league. To being in the small, irrelevant town of Cincinnati. To everything but simply these two men (Andy and Marvin, I mean). Sure, they deserve some blame as well, but it all starts at the top.

What say you to this? Do you deny that we reek and sustain the stigma of a lower tier organization? Do you deny that we are on the same level as the Browns/Jaguars when it comes to the worst organizations in football? Do you deny that this stigma and lack of quality stemming from the top has a big part to play in all of this? The Bengals still have a very long way to go before we win a Super Bowl. One playoff win next year or whenever is not going to change that, despite any sort of delusional thinking.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 10:47 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: This post literally serves no purpose on this message board.

I like you, dude. I have no idea what your name means, but I like your style and I like your signature. With that said, if purposeless posts annoy you, then you're going to need to stop visiting this message board. This board is lousy with them. LOL

Side note: why don't we use the "lousy with" idiom more often? Yes, I'm asking why our conversations are not lousy with "lousy with" idioms. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 11:28 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: I read your post. Its length does it no justice, but regardless of that quality it is still a jumbled mess of jibber jabber and nonsense.

You say that playoff games are more important than other games, and that the Bengals (specifically, Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis) cannot win a playoff game. I can sympathize with this point, but I refuse to put the blame soley on them. The blame mainly goes to the organization overall. To Mike Brown. To having one of the smallest scouting departments in the league. To being in the small, irrelevant town of Cincinnati. To everything but simply these two men (Andy and Marvin, I mean). Sure, they deserve some blame as well, but it all starts at the top.

What say you to this? Do you deny that we reek and sustain the stigma of a lower tier organization? Do you deny that we are on the same level as the Browns/Jaguars when it comes to the worst organizations in football? Do you deny that this stigma and lack of quality stemming from the top has a big part to play in all of this? The Bengals still have a very long way to go before we win a Super Bowl. One playoff win next year or whenever is not going to change that, despite any sort of delusional thinking.

JIBBER JABBER!!! YES!!! I love you, dude. LOL
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 11:28 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: I read your post. Its length does it no justice, but regardless of that quality it is still a jumbled mess of jibber jabber and nonsense.

The first part of the bolded is true, because they are. Just like the Super Bowl being more important than the playoff games once you get there, the single elimination playoff games are "more important" to win than some regular season games once you qualify for the postseason tournament. I'm sorry that you don't understand that.

I have an issue with the second part of the bold statement. I've NEVER said that the Bengals can't win a playoff game, I've NEVER said that Marvin Lewis can't win a playoff game, and I've NEVER said that Andy Dalton can't win a playoff game. This is just you proving that you need strawman arguments to make your points and/or you're not bright enough to read properly.

Your last paragraph is just hogwash. We aren't a lower tier organization. We aren't on the same level as the Browns or Jaguars. One playoff win next season is another step in the right direction whether you acknowledge that or not. I'm sure you'll find plenty more strawman arguments to utilize and maybe you'll even completely contradict yourself again. I guess we'll see, stay tuned, folks!
Reply/Quote

I am about as far from being a Bengal homer as there is, but since 2011 the Bengals have turned into a 1st rate NFL club. Thank Carson Plamer for telling Mike Brown where to shove his money for the changes.

If it were just a year or two, I would still be in wait and see mode. But the changes since 2011 have the Bengals, I would say, top 6-7, in the NFL in terms of organization, class, and respect.

Off the field changes since Carson....

- Mike Brown giving Duke Tobin the GM role (without the title) has led to one of the best scouting programs in the NFL.
- 5 excellent drafts in a row has given the Bengals a top 10 talented roster in the NFL for several season in a row. The Bengals rank #1 in the NFL for having the most players they originally drafted on their roster. http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/166828/inside-slant-bengals-saints-bracket-this-accounting-of-nfl-homegrown-talent
- Locker room culture is that of a winner and first class in the NFL.
- Players are noted for their contributions in the community and character, rather than (knock on wood) trouble or suspensions.
- Katie Blackburn is doing an incredible job now with the cap and managing contracts. Money management and dead money contracts are top shelf in the NFL. No team is managed better with cap space and smart contracts.
- Players WANT to come play here or WANT to come back. Gone are the days of Corey Dillon or Carl Pickens hating it here.
- Positive media coverage and articles about how good the team is and rarely bad.

On the field....

- The Bengals have realistically high expectations every season. They have a high bar, not a low one.

I am actually proud to be a Bengals fan because of the last 5 seasons and how the team is run. Very very proud. I am ok with where they are at in terms of post season performance because they put themselves in position to be successful every year. Without question the stigma has been gone for a while and they have become part of the top tier NFL teams as an organization.

Also... Andy Dalton need to get better. (Had to say it. Thread was lacking AD hate).
Reply/Quote
Did anyone point out that the Bengals have to actually make the playoffs before we get to find out if they're going to break the streak? The fact that people are just assuming the Bengals are going to be playing in the wild card round for a 5th straight time (only to lose again?) is quite the humorous blend of pat-on-the-back and kick-in-the-arse.

100% gonna make the playoffs
100% gonna lose in the first round

Book it?

I get it, speculation and off-season and all that, but we're just assuming the Bengals are going to make the playoffs when the NFL is designed to shake things up on a yearly basis unless you have a HOF QB and a HC who knows his head from a hole in the ground.

Anywho, I'm not counting us in the playoffs any more than I'm saying they are going to win or lose, but I do find it amusing that the world of sports fans and analysts have found a way to turn the Bengals being a lock for the playoffs into a perennial insult.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 09:13 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I still firmly believe it's not the QB, the Defense, the RB's, the OC, or whatever that has to change.

It's the heart and soul, the confidence, the attitude, the swagger, that truly has to change deep inside. Sure Whit yells a little, Adam Jones, gets on people, Marvin yells in front of the camera on Hardknocks, but at it's core there's no real belief in the system, in each other. No accountability

I'm not sure under Mikey, or Marvin this will ever truly change, or even can ?

Perfectly said!!!!
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 10:59 AM)djs7685 Wrote: 5 of the 9 hurries, 1 of the 3 hits, and 1 of the 3 sacks were all on the human turnstile, Eric Winston.

Let's hope we don't have to be playing anyone like that in next years game.
I agree about Winston

The Smith loss may have been a bigger deal than I thought as well, but hopefully at least one of the rookies is better by Winston come playoff time this year

Reply/Quote