Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Auden Tate make the Bengals roster?
Dan Hoard
BENGALS RADIO BROADCASTER

Rookie Auden Tate made a big impression at the Bengals’ minicamp in mid-June.

Emphasis on BIG.

The 6’5”, 228 pound wide receiver out of Florida State made several jaw-dropping touchdown catches that had his fellow receivers raving.

“Unbelievable,” said A.J. Green. “We call him a young Brandon Marshall. The guy has unbelievable hands, he’s big (with) great body control. He had a very good (minicamp).”

“His catch radius is ridiculous,” said John Ross. “It looks like the ball is always out of reach with him but it’s never out of reach. He’s going to be something serious.”

Full article
Reply/Quote
I want Auden Tate to make the roster. In the end scoring TD's is what a team needs to do to win and he does this.

Don't care how slow he is if he is scoring TD's. We need another Red Zone threat. High praise from AJ and Ross, i like it. Smirk
Reply/Quote
Yes, he can and probably will. I think his injury concerns over his shoulder pushed him down further than he should have been. His speed is a bit of a red herring in that he isn't running away from anyone but that has never game been his game anyways. Go flip on his game against Minkah Fitzpatrick and watch him use his body control and catch radius to make him look silly.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2018, 02:23 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yes, he can and probably will. I think his injury concerns over his shoulder pushed him down further than he should have been. His speed is a bit of a red herring in that he isn't running away from anyone but that has never game been his game anyways. Go flip on his game against Minkah Fitzpatrick and watch him use his body control and catch radius to make him look silly.

I mean I don't think Anquan Boldin ran much better than a 4.7 for at least much of his career, and he was a stud.  And not just in the red zone. 

The article mentions that Tate gets separation:

“He can separate,” said wide receivers coach Bob Bicknell. “He’s not the fastest guy in the world and I’m not going to say that he is, but he moves well and he’s got really good quickness at the top of the break."  

To me this opens his usefulness anywhere on the field, especially in 3rd down situations.  And if he can block, with that size, he could be a real stud.

This is a real big guy, who appears to have ice water running in his veins.  I'm pretty pumped about him :andy:

He's one of the guys that makes me feel like we had an excellent draft and quality group of UDFAs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2018, 02:23 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yes, he can and probably will. I think his injury concerns over his shoulder pushed him down further than he should have been. His speed is a bit of a red herring in that he isn't running away from anyone but that has never game been his game anyways. Go flip on his game against Minkah Fitzpatrick and watch him use his body control and catch radius to make him look silly.

(07-03-2018, 02:38 PM)3wt Wrote: I mean I don't think Anquan Boldin ran much better than a 4.7 for at least much of his career, and he was a stud.  And not just in the red zone. 

The article mentions that Tate gets separation:

“He can separate,” said wide receivers coach Bob Bicknell. “He’s not the fastest guy in the world and I’m not going to say that he is, but he moves well and he’s got really good quickness at the top of the break."  

To me this opens his usefulness anywhere on the field, especially in 3rd down situations.  And if he can block, with that size, he could be a real stud.

This is a real big guy, who appears to have ice water running in his veins.  I'm pretty pumped about him :andy:

He's one of the guys that makes me feel like we had an excellent draft and quality group of UDFAs.

Good stuff, Auden goes up for the ball like AJ does but he is another inch taller.

One of the biggest knocks i have always had on Core is that he is not good at going up for the ball. It is just not
natural for him. Going up for the ball is completely natural for Auden Tate.
Reply/Quote
I'm thinking maybe his speed won't be a factor. Teams double team AJ, eventually they will Ross, I'd almost think you'd be covering Tate with a LB or another CB that is smaller than Tate. This is anywhere on the field. Plus we have Boyd and Eifert...... Yes, I think he could make the team.
Reply/Quote
If the dude got bigger and stronger could he play TE?
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2018, 02:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good stuff, Auden goes up for the ball like AJ does but he is another inch taller.

One of the biggest knocks i have always had on Core is that he is not good at going up for the ball. It is just not
natural for him. Going up for the ball is completely natural for Auden Tate.

love tate..he makes the team..watch his films..very special player
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2018, 02:50 PM)BengalD Wrote: If the dude got bigger and stronger could he play TE?

It's kind of pointless because the use case would be the same. You're not attaching him inline as a blocker TE or not, he'll always be split out like what you are seeing more TE's do anyways. I think he simply will be used "big" formations as he is a willing blocker that can do some catching and he will get a lot of play in the red zone. 
Reply/Quote
A giant target, with hands of glue? I'm thinking that he bumps someone from the roster, and makes the squad.

My preliminary instinct says that Cody Core would be the man on the hot seat, with Erickson close behind.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I believe in Wyche's guy... Big praise from AJ.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2018, 02:00 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Dan Hoard
BENGALS RADIO BROADCASTER

Rookie Auden Tate made a big impression at the Bengals’ minicamp in mid-June.

Emphasis on BIG.

The 6’5”, 228 pound wide receiver out of Florida State made several jaw-dropping touchdown catches that had his fellow receivers raving.

“Unbelievable,” said A.J. Green. “We call him a young Brandon Marshall. The guy has unbelievable hands, he’s big (with) great body control. He had a very good (minicamp).”

“His catch radius is ridiculous,” said John Ross. “It looks like the ball is always out of reach with him but it’s never out of reach. He’s going to be something serious.”

Full article
If you're a long shot, a late round draft choice or even a UFA, how do you make a roster?  Be a ST demon, be able to do a few things, be able to one thing really well.  Somehow, you gotta make it impossible to keep you off the roster.   Being a red zone weapon is a helluva good way to do that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Tate if he can learn the offense and the route tree inside yes he can easily bump Erickson and Core.
those 2 have had their chances to make impact on offense and special teams.
i think.they 1 TD between them in 2 yrs.
NFL is all about creating and finding mismatches.
Auden Tate creates mismatches. plain and simple.
you cant coach or teach a catch radius. you have it or you dont.
like i said speed is a tremendous asset but its not the end all be all.
with Eiferts health in question this offense needs another red zone threat that draw attention
Core and Erickson have had their chances to produce.
neither has.turn the page see what Auden Tate can do.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2018, 06:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A giant target, with hands of glue?  I'm thinking that he bumps someone from the roster, and makes the squad.

My preliminary instinct says that Cody Core would be the man on the hot seat, with Erickson close behind.

I think you are right, Sunset.  One advantage for Core is his play on special teams, but I would imagine someone with Tate's size might also be able to contribute and the play of my guy Fej and a healthy Wilson could make Core expendable.  I think it makes a lot more sense to have him in the red zone over a guy like Boyd if they are going to have 3 WRs.  
Reply/Quote
Sounds like better than what some expected. What he looses in speed, he makes up with height and assurance. Thinking about this, there are times Dalton throws a little too high. Tate may be able to snag a few of those.

Reply/Quote
I can only go off the praise of Green and Ross. But it appears Tate could cause the Bengals to get rid of Erickson (if all stay healthy during camp). Maybe a trade or cut for a Bengal's WR. The possibility of a WR core of Green, LaFell, Boyd, Ross, Malone Tate and Core or Erickson is intriguing to say the least.

My hunch is Ross and Boyd step up in 2018 and AJ back to form. It is a huge if, but if Eifert stays healthy, the thought of 1st and goal inside the redzone to line up Green, Tate, Ross in the slot with Eifert at TE and Mixon at RB would be fun to watch. Three guys 6'4" and above, a speedster and teams having to worry about Mixon running you over if you go nickel against it.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2018, 08:01 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think you are right, Sunset.  One advantage for Core is his play on special teams, but I would imagine someone with Tate's size might also be able to contribute and the play of my guy Fej and a healthy Wilson could make Core expendable.  I think it makes a lot more sense to have him in the red zone over a guy like Boyd if they are going to have 3 WRs.  

Actually, I'm quite excited about Auden Tate.  I've taken a look at some of his college stuff, quite impressive indeed.  I feel like the team was quite lucky to draft him when they did, as a receiver with his particular skill set could definitely ease the disappointment of yet another year without Tyler Eifert.

I'm a little disappointed in Cody Core, I really had hopes that he would develop into something more than what he has.  I'm not so worried about losing his contributions on special teams, as there are ALWAYS guys available and ready to do whatever they have to in order to make the cut.  Additionally, with the latest rule changes, kick offs and coverage teams will have less of an impact on the game.  (this saddens me)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If he continues to impress he better make the roster; with that said I think it is way too early to tell.
Reply/Quote
It's possible it could work out, but it's also an off-season tradition for us to wonder how we are possibly going to fit all of our amazing pass catchers on the field at the same time. Time will tell.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2018, 06:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A giant target, with hands of glue?  I'm thinking that he bumps someone from the roster, and makes the squad.

This is my sentiment as well.  If he does well in preseason, one of those guys is gone.   ThumbsUp
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote