Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Auden Tate make the Bengals roster?
Hope so! If not he's gonna score a shitload of TDs for the Patriots.
Reply/Quote
He has a chance to make the team but he will need to show much more than just great hands and size. He will still be low on the WR core so will need to also contribute on Special Teams and show his skills in preseason, if he outplays Core and is able to contribute on ST then I believe he makes the cut if he does not, he does not deserve a roster spot
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This guy should have been, at worst, a day two pick, and we got him in the seventh round. The upside with this guy is tremendous and we'd be stupid not to keep him. Blows me away that people want to practice squad him or cut him, or even think that he won't make a difference.

He ran a slow 40, which happens, and that might be a reason he dropped, but send him and AJ deep and throw it to whichever one the safety doesn't double and let Auden use his size, rather than his speed, to make the catch because I'll take him over a corner that's not even 6 feet tall all day.

If nothing else, he's a red zone target: line up him on one side and AJ on the other and let the defense decide who they want to let catch the touchdown.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2018, 09:42 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, I'm quite excited about Auden Tate.  I've taken a look at some of his college stuff, quite impressive indeed.  I feel like the team was quite lucky to draft him when they did, as a receiver with his particular skill set could definitely ease the disappointment of yet another year without Tyler Eifert.

I'm a little disappointed in Cody Core, I really had hopes that he would develop into something more than what he has.  I'm not so worried about losing his contributions on special teams, as there are ALWAYS guys available and ready to do whatever they have to in order to make the cut.  Additionally, with the latest rule changes, kick offs and coverage teams will have less of an impact on the game.  (this saddens me)

Good point, and I agree about Core as well.  He was rolling at the end of 2016, but got injured at precisely the wrong moment last year.  And we really needed receiver help last year.  He will get a sniff this year, but will have to be lights out in camp and preseason to be given a legitimate shot.  I seem to be in the minority, but I see him as having a lot more upside than Lafell.  Hope he pulls out a minor miracle, but it is doubtful. 
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2018, 08:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good point, and I agree about Core as well.  He was rolling at the end of 2016, but got injured at precisely the wrong moment last year.  And we really needed receiver help last year.  He will get a sniff this year, but will have to be lights out in camp and preseason to be given a legitimate shot.  I seem to be in the minority, but I see him as having a lot more upside than Lafell.  Hope he pulls out a minor miracle, but it is doubtful. 

That may be entirely true, and I hope that it is.  I feel like they keep Lafell around, not because he does anything spectacular, but because he's reliable, competent in the playbook, and has built a good repoire with Andy.  Not that Lafell's cap savings would be tremendous (4M, I think?), but if Core could rise up to take that spot, it would certainly add a bit of cash to pick up say a veteran OL or added cash for extensions of Geno and or Carlos.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He's not any slower than Gronkowski, who is basically a WR. They could just use him in a similar role.
Reply/Quote
I'm glad to be hearing about Tate..Some of our younger WR's need to be pushed. As much as everyone likes Cody Core, the guy just hasn't shown a lot. Alex Erickson does just enough to keep himself on the roster and make a key catch every now and then. Brandon Lafell is just a veteran presence who isn't really being pushed by anyone on the roster but I like what he does. Tate brings legit Red Zone target threat to the offense opposite of AJ green and if you ask me a guy of his size running a 4.68 isn't exactly the slowest thing in the world..Ask Treadwell in Minnesota. What the Bengals WR corps need is a bonafide threat of some sort opposite of AJ.Green. Eifert gives that when he can keep his brittle ass healthy. I see almost all the rest of them as complimentary and not necessarily something a defense would have to consistently defend. Ross' speed? Yeah it can be a threat but its got to get on the field..I'm not saying Tate is the next coming of anyone but having a (I'm going throwback here)  Harold Carmichael type presence and game skill can make a coverage tilt in certain situations and thus make things easier for our #1 target.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2018, 10:06 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That may be entirely true, and I hope that it is.  I feel like they keep Lafell around, not because he does anything spectacular, but because he's reliable, competent in the playbook, and has built a good repoire with Andy.  Not that Lafell's cap savings would be tremendous (4M, I think?), but if Core could rise up to take that spot, it would certainly add a bit of cash to pick up say a veteran OL or added cash for extensions of Geno and or Carlos.

I think LaFell is pretty safe.  We're going through a complete playbook change and he and AJ are the only WR's on the roster not on their rookie contract.  Unless LaFell is complete garbage in TC or the young guys take a massive leap forward, I think the rationale will be that it's better to have him and AJ each take two young players under their wing than have AJ trying to help tutor 5 guys.

I think Erickson has to win the primary returner job to stick this year, which will be tough considering how he backslid last year in the role.  Core just doesn't have the hands to go with his frame and straight line speed.  With a still suspect OL, we can't expect Andy to deliver perfect strikes into the numbers consistently to make a guy like Core productive.  That's what's going to make a guy like Tate with a huge catch radius and the ability to make plays on poorly thrown balls valuable.
Reply/Quote
Auden Tate reminds me of a guy that went in the second round in 2015 Devin Funchess. Tate will be a match up nightmare for defenses you can move him inside in the slot, outside at either x or flanker, and out of the backfield as an h-back.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2018, 08:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good point, and I agree about Core as well.  He was rolling at the end of 2016, but got injured at precisely the wrong moment last year.  And we really needed receiver help last year.  He will get a sniff this year, but will have to be lights out in camp and preseason to be given a legitimate shot.  I seem to be in the minority, but I see him as having a lot more upside than Lafell.  Hope he pulls out a minor miracle, but it is doubtful. 

On the bright side, he will have some good coaching to give him the edge. He's young and could learn things fast. If he already has great hands and good separation? I don't see how he misses the cut.

Reply/Quote
None of the young WRs have blown me away. I say the final WR spot is wide open.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2018, 01:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: None of the young WRs have blown me away.  I say the final WR spot is wide open.

agreed
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2018, 08:47 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I can only go off the praise of Green and Ross. But it appears Tate could cause the Bengals to get rid of Erickson (if all stay healthy during camp). Maybe a trade or cut for a Bengal's WR. The possibility of a WR core of Green, LaFell, Boyd, Ross, Malone Tate and Core or Erickson is intriguing to say the least.

My hunch is Ross and Boyd step up in 2018 and AJ back to form. It is a huge if, but if Eifert stays healthy, the thought of 1st and goal inside the redzone to line up Green, Tate, Ross in the slot with Eifert at TE and Mixon at RB would be fun to watch. Three guys 6'4" and above, a speedster and teams having to worry about Mixon running you over if you go nickel against it.

I can go off watching about every game he ever played in the Garnet & Gold, dude was beyond legit on some rather poor Seminoles teams.  Just peep the highlight reels.  

I think he has, and should have, a legit shot to make this roster.  I can see getting rid of Core to make room....or even Erickson.  He could be your possible TJ replacement.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

Core definately has more upside than Lafell it is just it has to translate to the field this TC and Preseason.

Core's speed, size and physicality are rare.

If he can show he can go up for the ball better i think he makes the roster again.

(07-05-2018, 01:10 PM)Synric Wrote: Auden Tate reminds me of a guy that went in the second round in 2015 Devin Funchess. Tate will be a match up nightmare for defenses you can move him inside in the slot, outside at either x or flanker, and out of the backfield as an h-back.

Great comparison, i can definately see that.

(07-05-2018, 01:43 PM)Wyche Wrote: I can go off watching about every game he ever played in the Garnet & Gold, dude was beyond legit on some rather poor Seminoles teams.  Just peep the highlight reels.  

I think he has, and should have, a legit shot to make this roster.  I can see getting rid of Core to make room....or even Erickson.  He could be your possible TJ replacement.

I think if one of these new Returners shows up, Wilson, Phillips, Walton, Bates etc

Erickson is the guy on the outside, that is if Core doesn't show much.

In the end, scoring Touchdowns is the most valuable thing a player can bring and that is what Auden Tate brings.
Reply/Quote
Its better to hear good things than nothing at all for sure.

But ultimately it doesn't matter until he is in full pads in real game situations, aka preseason. It's one thing to make dazzling catches in shorts and t's, it's another to do so amidst linebackers and dbs gunning for him.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2018, 02:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Core definately has more upside than Lafell it is just it has to translate to the field this TC and Preseason.

If he can show he can go up for the ball better i think he makes the roster again.

I think if one of these new Returners shows up, Wilson, Phillips, Walton, Bates etc

In the end, scoring Touchdowns is the most valuable thing a player can bring and that is what Auden Tate brings.

Firstly, agree on Tate, and would part with one of Core, LaFell, or Erickson to give him a shot.

Secondly, did you say Wilson Phillips ?

[Image: rs-183166-159763487.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2018, 02:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Core definately has more upside than Lafell it is just it has to translate to the field this TC and Preseason.

Maybe.   But Erickson has been productive in the slot as well as on special teams, something we've had difficulty finding.

The thing I like about Core, besides his size and speed, is his ability to block.  But if you can't run the routes and catch the ball all the other stuff is moot.
Reply/Quote
I don't think Tate will last long if placed on the practice squad. I say he makes the roster.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2018, 02:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Core definately has more upside than Lafell it is just it has to translate to the field this TC and Preseason.

I have a hard time seeing them keep 7 WR's again this year seeing how we got so little out of that group last year.  Erickson is the incumbent return man, and we all know what that means.  Despite the fact that he regressed in the role last year compared to his rookie year, it's still basically his job to lose.  He will have to get outplayed by a good bit by one of the other hopefuls to lose the job and his roster spot.  He did show a little improvement as a WR last year, as well.

Core didn't catch a pass despite dressing for 13 games last year.  At this point, hoping he develops a set of hands is like hoping Ogbuehi develops a set of balls.  It would be great if it happens, but it probably just isn't in the cards.  He has some great physical traits, but just seems to lack the body control, hand eye coordination, and concentration necessary to be a productive NFL WR.  He contributes on ST's, but so would an extra DB, LB, or RB.  

I would like to see Tate make it since we need another big go up and get it WR.  Erickson can make it as the #6 if he outplays both Tate and Core or as a #7 if he retains the return job and Tate/Core outplay him by a wide margin.  Core needs to outplay both Tate and Erickson by a wide margin(which I don't think he is capable of doing) or outplay them both by a slim margin and hope Erickson loses his return job.  
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2018, 04:12 PM)HuDey Wrote: Firstly, agree on Tate, and would part with one of Core, LaFell, or Erickson to give him a shot.

Secondly, did you say Wilson Phillips ?

[Image: rs-183166-159763487.jpg]

Hit, hit, hit, didn't even notice that when i said it. Smirk

(07-05-2018, 05:46 PM)3wt Wrote: Maybe.   But Erickson has been productive in the slot as well as on special teams, something we've had difficulty finding.

The thing I like about Core, besides his size and speed, is his ability to block.  But if you can't run the routes and catch the ball all the other stuff is moot.

I think between Ross, Boyd and Lafell we have good Slot Receivers and they all can play on the outside as well.

True about Core, he has a lot of entangibles that are rare but routes and most of all catching the ball are what matter.

Malone seems to be purely an outside Receiver. Very talented though, goes up for the ball better than Core.

(07-05-2018, 07:09 PM)Whatever Wrote: I have a hard time seeing them keep 7 WR's again this year seeing how we got so little out of that group last year.  Erickson is the incumbent return man, and we all know what that means.  Despite the fact that he regressed in the role last year compared to his rookie year, it's still basically his job to lose.  He will have to get outplayed by a good bit by one of the other hopefuls to lose the job and his roster spot.  He did show a little improvement as a WR last year, as well.

Core didn't catch a pass despite dressing for 13 games last year.  At this point, hoping he develops a set of hands is like hoping Ogbuehi develops a set of balls.  It would be great if it happens, but it probably just isn't in the cards.  He has some great physical traits, but just seems to lack the body control, hand eye coordination, and concentration necessary to be a productive NFL WR.  He contributes on ST's, but so would an extra DB, LB, or RB.  

I would like to see Tate make it since we need another big go up and get it WR.  Erickson can make it as the #6 if he outplays both Tate and Core or as a #7 if he retains the return job and Tate/Core outplay him by a wide margin.  Core needs to outplay both Tate and Erickson by a wide margin(which I don't think he is capable of doing) or outplay them both by a slim margin and hope Erickson loses his return job.  

Good post Whatever, i just think we have a lot of Returners here now that are much more talented and special than
Erickson. The reason Brandon Tate was held onto so long was he didn't fumble the ball much and was solid, if one of
these talented Returners shows they are reliable with their skills i see one of them taking Erickson's spot if Core shows
some of the talent he has. We didn't really have a guy show much to take Brandon Tate's spot until Erickson in PS.

Darrin Simmons knows what he is doing i believe, good coach.

That is a bit rough comparing Core to Og i must say though lol
Reply/Quote