Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Bengals Remove Franchise Tag From Higgins, since he wants to leave ?
I don't know all the details of NFL contract rules. Can Bengals just simply remove the franchise tag and let him go free agent to another team ?

I have seen Bengals players that did not want to be here. They became a cancer in the clubhouse and only helped the team lose. So when a player says he wants out of Cincinnati now, as Tee Higgins, better to get the player out of here. The Bengals have a team that wants to play and win, so why go backwards into Bengals teams that had players that did not want to be here.

If anybody knows the NFL rules on this, because I do not. Can Bengals just simply remove the franchise tag, save 21 million, and focus on going forward without Higgins ?....or is it past a deadline on removing the tag ?

Either Way, GO BENGALS

Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
You can rescind a tag. The Bengals won’t be doing that
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 07:35 PM)kevin Wrote: I don't know all the details of NFL contract rules.  Can Bengals just simply remove the franchise tag and let him go free agent to another team ?

I have seen Bengals players that did not want to be here.  They became a cancer in the clubhouse and only helped the team lose.  So when a player says he wants out of Cincinnati now, as Tee Higgins, better to get the player out of here.  The Bengals have a team that wants to play and win, so why go backwards into Bengals teams that had players that did not want to be here.

If anybody knows the NFL rules on this, because I do not.  Can Bengals just simply remove the franchise tag, save 21 million, and focus on going forward without Higgins ?....or is it past a deadline on removing the tag ?

Either Way, GO BENGALS

Tiger

If he has yet to sign it, yes, the Bengals can remove it. But why would they do it? Every year players ask for trades or threaten to hold out. The reality is Tee has a limited window and sitting out hurts him long term potentially.

Bell sat out years ago and lost 10's of millions of dollars as a result.

Teams can rescind the franchise or transition tag -- as we saw with Josh Norman last year -- if the offer sheet hasn't been signed. Once the sheet is signed, the player's salary is guaranteed for that season. A rescinded tag counts as a tag, meaning a team can't designate one player, rescind it and use a new tag on another player in the same year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 07:35 PM)Au165 Wrote: You can rescind a tag. The Bengals won’t be doing that

So they could do it, and Higgins could simply go free agent to another team.  

If Higgins doesn't want to be here, he is no darn good to The Bengals.  He needs to go. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 07:35 PM)Au165 Wrote: You can rescind a tag. The Bengals won’t be doing that

Yup. It happened before. Don't feel like googling, but maybe it was Josh Norman it happened to before.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 07:42 PM)Destro Wrote: Yup. It happened before. Don't feel like googling, but maybe it was Josh Norman it happened to before.

Did it for you, and yeah it was him in 2016. Offered it March 1st, rescinded April 20th.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 07:35 PM)kevin Wrote: I don't know all the details of NFL contract rules.  Can Bengals just simply remove the franchise tag and let him go free agent to another team ?

I have seen Bengals players that did not want to be here.  They became a cancer in the clubhouse and only helped the team lose.  So when a player says he wants out of Cincinnati now, as Tee Higgins, better to get the player out of here.  The Bengals have a team that wants to play and win, so why go backwards into Bengals teams that had players that did not want to be here.

If anybody knows the NFL rules on this, because I do not.  Can Bengals just simply remove the franchise tag, save 21 million, and focus on going forward without Higgins ?....or is it past a deadline on removing the tag ?

Either Way, GO BENGALS

Tiger
Rescinding the tag and letting him walk for nothing would be the dumbest move ever...
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 07:40 PM)kevin Wrote: So they could do it, and Higgins could simply go free agent to another team.  

If Higgins doesn't want to be here, he is no darn good to The Bengals.  He needs to go. 

I’m sure if he got enough money he’d want to be here. Most of the players are here for the money unfortunately, it’s only fans that hold an ‘unwavering’ connection to a club. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 07:53 PM)pulses Wrote: Rescinding the tag and letting him walk for nothing would be the dumbest move ever...

Not if they planned to let him walk all along.

Tag him, see if we get an offer that would bring more than a projected comp pick.

If we don't get it, rescind. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 07:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Did it for you, and yeah it was him in 2016. Offered it March 1st, rescinded April 20th.

I know the only reason I could have possibly remembered that randomness is because he came to Washington, I live in MD, and he was a big deal signing for the team. All over the news. If you know NFL history, Washington and flame out FAs go hand in hand. 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 07:53 PM)pulses Wrote: Rescinding the tag and letting him walk for nothing would be the dumbest move ever...

Right, they arent going to rescind the tag and get absolutely nothing.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 08:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not if they planned to let him walk all along.

Tag him, see if we get an offer that would bring more than a projected comp pick.

I've got a feeling that this situation will just be idle, and that a trade will be most likely to happen during the draft.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This may take some time to work itself out.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 08:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not if they planned to let him walk all along.

If they cant get at least a high 2nd round pick, Tee is not as highly thought of around the NFL as he and his agent think he is.  I would think there would be teams willing to give up a 1st round pick.  Tee's agent should already be in contact with a bunch of different teams negotiating some kind of deal.  Tee is a free agent after all.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 08:02 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Right, they arent going to rescind the tag and get absolutely nothing.

And let him to to the Chiefs, Bills or North team.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 08:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This may take some time to work itself out.

Yes, I'm thinking that his agent pulled this shock stunt to not only try to scare the Bengals into overpaying, but also as a feeler to see if any other team out there was willing to bite on picks and a rich deal.  As it turns out, there appears to be no day 1 shockers as far as Higgins buyers go.  Honestly, the entire league saw the same Tee that looked golden for two consecutive seasons struggling to maintain focus at times and going down not once, but twice with injuries in the same season.  I could see the agent having a boner for the market if Tee had come out and produced similar to 2021-2022, but it simply didn't happen.

I was sincerely hoping that the team could reach a long term (like 5 years) deal with Higgins for dollar amounts that would put him at the top of the WR2 market, yet still affordable for the team to function.  It's not over yet, but the chances of that happening aren't looking good right now.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
At this point I hope we can trade Tee and move on. The problem might be Tee and his agent value Tee more than the teams in the NFL do.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 08:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, I'm thinking that his agent pulled this shock stunt to not only try to scare the Bengals into overpaying, but also as a feeler to see if any other team out there was willing to bite on picks and a rich deal.  As it turns out, there appears to be no day 1 shockers as far as Higgins buyers go.  Honestly, the entire league saw the same Tee that looked golden for two consecutive seasons struggling to maintain focus at times and going down not once, but twice with injuries in the same season.  I could see the agent having a boner for the market if Tee had come out and produced similar to 2021-2022, but it simply didn't happen.

I was sincerely hoping that the team could reach a long term (like 5 years) deal with Higgins for dollar amounts that would put him at the top of the WR2 market, yet still affordable for the team to function.  It's not over yet, but the chances of that happening aren't looking good right now.

That would be great and hope it happens. Problem is there's almost always a team out there willing to shell out big bucks......hoping they strike gold.

I doubt this is resolved anytime soon.
Reply/Quote

If we sign someone of importance like a big DT or RT and they play their asses off then we just let him walk for free.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 08:27 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: At this point I hope we can trade Tee and move on.  The problem might be Tee and his agent value Tee more than the teams in the NFL do.

Renowned difficult agent isn’t he?
Reply/Quote