Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Jonah William be a elite LT?
All talk about to draft or not draft Penei Sewell has been
Very popular leading up to the draft. Great arguments on both
Sides of the fence.
But lost in all this discussuon is the current LT Jonah Williams.

My question is, can he ever become a elite LT?
Let's not forget, this was Taylors 1st draft pick ever.
I don't recall at the time the other college prospects that were
Being discussed on who to draft at that time....

But back to.Jonah. This is a very pivotal year for him.much like
For Zac Taylor too.
He hasnt played a full season yet. ( ZT doesnt have a winning season yet)

In the 10 games last year, Jonah at best was inconsistant.
I don't have the film on.him but I think he had his issues
Vs fast agile speed rushers like Myles Garrett.
I know Garrett is elite but in order to be elite, you have
To negate that elite player across from.you.

Jonah has to overcome 2 things this year.
He has to be healthy for all 17 games and he has to
Really take his game up.to another level.
Being good wont be good enough. He needs to play
At a Joe Thomas or at the very least Levi.Jones level.

The Bengals have not got anykind of dominant play from
Their LT Whitworth.
Jonah this is a very telling 3rd season for you
Your the 3rd best LT in.this division and the 5th best OT
Reply/Quote
Yes he can be elite. The guy was elite in college and he is coming off a good season according to PFF. I would say a big year is expected from him.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Jonah played RT at Alabama at a very high level and honestly I think that is where he'd be better off, where he can get some TE help often to slow a speed rusher.

He was solid at LT, but just something didn't look as comfortable at LT as you'd like.

The biggest concern with Williams is simply health. If he has another season of missing multiple games, then it's time to move on and start looking for more O-line help.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 10:08 PM)impactplaya Wrote: All talk about to draft or not draft Penei Sewell has been
Very popular leading up to the draft. Great arguments on both
Sides of the fence.
But lost in all this discussuon is the current LT Jonah Williams.

My question is, can he ever become a elite LT?
Let's not forget, this was Taylors 1st draft pick ever.
I don't recall at the time the other college prospects that were
Being discussed on who to draft at that time....

But back to.Jonah. This is a very pivotal year for him.much like
For Zac Taylor too.
He hasnt played a full season yet. ( ZT doesnt have a winning season yet)

In the 10 games last year, Jonah at best was inconsistant.
I don't have the film on.him but I think he had his issues
Vs fast agile speed rushers like Myles Garrett.
I know Garrett is elite but in order to be elite, you have
To negate that elite player across from.you.

Jonah has to overcome 2 things this year.
He has to be healthy for all 17 games and he has to
Really take his game up.to another level.
Being good wont be good enough. He needs to play
At a Joe Thomas or at the very least Levi.Jones level.

The Bengals have not got anykind of dominant play from
Their LT Whitworth.
Jonah this is a very telling 3rd season for you
Your the 3rd best LT in.this division and the 5th best OT

Real question is can he stay healthy. I question that more than anything.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 10:12 PM)J24 Wrote: Yes he can be elite. The guy was elite in college and he is coming off a good season according to PFF. I would say a big year is expected from him.

To bolded, I think that you're dreaming with that statement.  Mellow  

The fact that the dude has already arrived physically broken from his play in college, and only mustered 10 games in his "breakout" year, tells me enough.  Bama used him up, we got damaged goods.  Time to draft a true thoroughbred.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Idk about “elite” but he’s probably going to be very good if he can stay healthy. Jumping on him for struggling against Garrett in his first season of playing is kind of silly.

This is the play that sold me on Jonah...

Reply/Quote
Is Bengals player x a good player: yes.
-> ok, let’s tear him apart and say bad things
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 10:39 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: Is Bengals player x a good player: yes.
-> ok, let’s tear him apart and say bad things

Every single thread is directly related to who we should draft at 5 right now. We had the Tee Higgins thread, and now it’s Jonah’s turn.

Maybe we should dig up the Drew Sample is a bum thread to advocate for taking Pitts lol.

Reply/Quote
We got the #1 OT in a down year for OTs btw. He was decorated in college, but the NFL is a different level. I believe his ceiling is that he can be solid. I know he desires to be THE LT, but I hope that he can be flexible to move where the team may need him to line up.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 10:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Every single thread is directly related to who we should draft at 5 right now. We had the Tee Higgins thread, and now it’s Jonah’s turn.

Maybe we should dig up the Drew Sample is a bum thread to advocate for taking Pitts lol.

Hey! To be fair, I literally started the Tee thread as a Clemson homer and to have something else to discuss.

I was curious what other people thought his growth potential was going into year two.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Yes
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 10:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To bolded, I think that you're dreaming with that statement.  Mellow  

The fact that the dude has already arrived physically broken from his play in college, and only mustered 10 games in his "breakout" year, tells me enough.  Bama used him up, we got damaged goods.  Time to draft a true thoroughbred.

Why are you tearing down Jonah? Did the guy beat up Sewell or something?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Elite? Probably not. Assuming he can stay healthy I think he can be very solid though in the right scheme, but being surrounded by other good OLmen could help that even more. It's hard to gauge when the entire line sucks for the most part and his injuries have hurt him as well. Playing next to Jordan did not help his cause at all. Playing under coach Turner didnt either. Watching the games from last year, it seemed like often times our OL didnt even know who they were supposed to block most of the time. It was a total shitshow. When we lost most of our starters for the Titans game, we played one of our best games at OL with a bunch of brand new guys. I think it was the only game Burrow didnt take a sack but I could be wrong.

That being said, we dont need an OL full of elite players, but having one elite player playing next to 4 solid above average players could make for a dang good OL. We need that Whit, Willie, Munoz type guy to be the leader and anchor and it would go a long way. Hoping we find that asap. I like Jonah though and think he will be good if he can stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
Higgins' PFF grade was 5 points higher than Jonah's last year and Jonah has struggled to stay healthy, so if we're making the pick based on who has more potential out of Higgins and Jonah, I definitely like Higgins more.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 11:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Higgins' PFF grade was 5 points higher than Jonah's last year and Jonah has struggled to stay healthy, so if we're making the pick based on who has more potential out of Higgins and Jonah, I definitely like Higgins more.

If Burrow didnt get hurt Higgins would've got over a 1000 yards last year. That would've made him one of 3 WR's to do that in his rookie year since 2005. Honestly I think both Boyd and Higgins would've gone over 1000 if Burrow stayed healthy. Higgins finished with just over 900 and Boyd finished with 840something. So imo, we already have 2 pro bowl caliber WR's. Higgins will only get better. Dude was a rookie. How many pro bowl caliber OLmen do we have lol? Zip. 
Reply/Quote
Can anyone find footage of Whitworth's rookie season when he faced Dwight Freeney?

Jonah has the potential to be an elite LT. The big question is health and durability.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 11:19 PM)J24 Wrote: Why are you tearing down Jonah? Did the guy beat up Sewell or something?

I'm not "tearing him down", I'm simply pointing out the truth.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 07:31 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not "tearing him down", I'm simply pointing out the truth.  

He’s only 23 years old. Writing him off is a tad premature, no? If he misses significant time for a 3rd year in a row, then sure, I’d agree it’s time to look for a new “thoroughbred” at LT.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 10:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To bolded, I think that you're dreaming with that statement.  Mellow  

Jonah Williams hurt himself in OTAs his rookie year. He went through the medical checks at the combine and then proceeded to lift. They would not allowed him to lift if his shoulder required surgery I have seen them send players home for less.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 10:12 PM)J24 Wrote: Yes he can be elite. The guy was elite in college and he is coming off a good season according to PFF. I would say a big year is expected from him.

Every player has the potential to become elite....

With the Word ELITE meaning what it does  there is a slim chance of him being elite.  but he could very well be a upper teir player maybe even crack elite
Reply/Quote