Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Mixon Produce Behind This Line?
I wouldn't take Mixon with a 3rd rounder, let alone a 2nd.

This line still has a LOT to prove, and Gio is still there taking touches.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 01:45 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Not hating or loving my team which consists of

QB's
Luck
Dalton

RB's
David Johnson
Alex Collins
Kerryon Johnson
Chris Carter
Jeremy Hill
Devon Booker

WR's
AJ Green
TY Hilton
Robert Woods
John Ross
Josh Gordon
Donte Moncrief

k
Jake Elliott

D
Bengals

We play for substantial amount of money with 12 owners who have all played over 20 years and players get exhausted quickly.

If Josh Gordon hits, then I think you're in good shape. Robert Woods was no slouch last year though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 01:58 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'm in total agreement with you. I thought I was pretty much the only one that noticed we mostly ran outside during the preseason with the #1s. IMO, I think we will get better as we go. Once a player can get locked into a position and concentrate on that position, I believe things will run smoothly.

Agreed.  I'm about to start a "Call the first play" thread...I think you will like my guess.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 10:18 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Dalton cannot carry a team with a passing attack. He absolutely needs a running game. Defenses know this so they will take away the pass and force us to run and if we cannot, we will fail.

Meh Before dalton broke his thumb in 2015, his team was 10-2 and he was in the mvp consideration. In those 12 games the bengals had a 3.8 ypc average, which when compared to the final season stats of the rest of the league, would have ranked them tied for 25th. So, while not ideal, I’d say he can be just fine with a lackluster running game, given he has an Oline that isn’t serving him up on a platter to the defense.

Reply/Quote
The left side of the line will be better than the right side of the line early on so on running plays to the right it might help to line the tight end up over there.

Cincinnati still has a “first contact” problem in the run game and by this I mean the linemen — with the exception of Billy Price — still don’t sustain blocks long enough to turn their opponent this way or that way. It’s better already but improvements need to be made.

This isn’t a complaint and I’m happy Frank Pollack fixed the pass blocking first so Andy Dalton can throw without worrying about getting flattened.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 01:58 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'm in total agreement with you. I thought I was pretty much the only one that noticed we mostly ran outside during the preseason with the #1s. IMO, I think we will get better as we go. Once a player can get locked into a position and concentrate on that position, I believe things will run smoothly.
But I can't risk taking him in the second, right?!

Now, I'm learning towards Kamara in the first, Gronkowski or Hopkins (if he falls that far), and then hoping that Mixon or Jordan Howard make it back around.

Jordan Howard is a first-round talent, so it would be incredible if he falls to the third, and I'd take him over Hopkins, except that I think Hopkins has a BIG year with Watson throwing him the ball for all 15 games.
(09-04-2018, 02:00 PM)jwayne Wrote: My problem is what team the Nuns are from... lol

I see Mixon making hay primarily receiving. HOWEVER, because the passing game is going to be so BLEEPING good, I see him putting up at LEAST 1K probably 1200. 
And he might just make it a Double Double. That would be nice eh?

GO BENGALS!
The right side of the line worries me.

The line might start being good blockers and Mixon puts up a huge year, but is it worth the risk in the second?
(09-04-2018, 02:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I wouldn't take Mixon with a 3rd rounder, let alone a 2nd.

This line still has a LOT to prove, and Gio is still there taking touches.

I'd probably grab him in the third, but I'm with you in the first, although I don't think Gio will steal that many touches and definitely not touchdowns since Mixon can be a runner and a receiver.
Reply/Quote
For what it’s worth, in my league I took him in the 4th after getting kamara, Fournette and Thielen 1, 2 And 3. I feel good about him starting as my flex. Mine is a 10 team league though, again for what it’s worth

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 07:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The left side of the line will be better than the right side of the line early on so on running plays to the right it might help to line the tight end up over there.  

Cincinnati still has a “first contact” problem in the run game and by this I mean the linemen — with the exception of Billy Price — still don’t sustain blocks long enough to turn their opponent this way or that way.  It’s better already but improvements need to be made.

This isn’t a complaint and I’m happy Frank Pollack fixed the pass blocking first so Andy Dalton can throw without worrying about getting flattened.

Absolutely because we have seen enough of a flattened Dalton already recently. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 07:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The left side of the line will be better than the right side of the line early on so on running plays to the right it might help to line the tight end up over there.  

Cincinnati still has a “first contact” problem in the run game and by this I mean the linemen — with the exception of Billy Price — still don’t sustain blocks long enough to turn their opponent this way or that way.  It’s better already but improvements need to be made.

I tend to agree with your thinking.  I fully expect the line to take time to grow and solidify as a unit.  Meanwhile, if they could just work on executing some quick traps, generate a little movement, that should encourage the backs to get their tails up in the hole, rather than dancing in the backfield.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 08:28 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Absolutely because we have seen enough of a flattened Dalton already recently. 

Last year:

[Image: vat19-drives-over-a-bunch-of-their-produ....gif?w=750]

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 08:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I tend to agree with your thinking.  I fully expect the line to take time to grow and solidify as a unit.  Meanwhile, if they could just work on executing some quick traps, generate a little movement, that should encourage the backs to get their tails up in the hole, rather than dancing in the backfield.

Many people mistakenly blame running backs for “dancing in the backfield” but if they watch the play from behind it becomes apparent no holes exist. This isn’t the case for someone like LeVeon Bell who does indeed “dance in the backfield” but in his case holes do appear.

The Bengals are getting closer to being more effective at run blocking. The line looks completely different already and it’s going to keep improving.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 07:13 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Meh Before dalton broke his thumb in 2015, his team was 10-2 and he was in the mvp consideration. In those 12 games the bengals had a 3.8 ypc average, which when compared to the final season stats of the rest of the league, would have ranked them tied for 25th. So, while not ideal, I’d say he can be just fine with a lackluster running game, given he has an Oline that isn’t serving him up on a platter to the defense.

The 2015 also gave him good protection if I recall, I dont see the right side of the line doing that with the current personnel
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 09:07 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: The 2015 also gave him good protection if I recall, I dont see the right side of the line doing that with the current personnel

That is fair. But in that case the problem is the Oline more than it is dalton needing a run game, yes? At least that’s the way I see it.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 02:00 PM)jwayne Wrote: My problem is what team the Nuns are from... lol

I see Mixon making hay primarily receiving. HOWEVER, because the passing game is going to be so BLEEPING good, I see him putting up at LEAST 1K probably 1200. 
And he might just make it a Double Double. That would be nice eh?

GO BENGALS!

Those are some high expectations man. Only 3rd player in NFL history to do this after how bad our offense was last year?
Reply/Quote
This may be hopeful thinking but I have a feeling that we're hiding our best run designs. No team shows much in preseason, especially a whole new offense. We were just trying to test out the right side of the OL and work out any kinks we had in run blocking. Bengals teams from this decade outside of 2014 were always middle of the pack in terms of YPC but what they could do was run the ball on 3rd and 2 and punch it in when they were inside the 5. Bengals from 2013-15 were at the top of the league in rushing touchdowns. I remember Benson & Green-Ellis having a good amount of 100+ yard games back in 11 & 12. The Bengals rushing offense in 2017 had 6 TDs and 5 games where they had 100+ yards rushing. 4 of those 5 games ironically came after Lazor changed the blocking scheme. In those 5 games, we didn't have Glenn and Price. Redmond helped contribute in 2 of those games and he will be a full-time starter. We don't have to be New Orleans or Dallas, we just need a functional running attack. As everyone has mentioned in this thread, the blocking is already miles better under Pollack's scheme and it will get better as the line starts playing real games and learning how to communicate with each other.

As for Mixon, some fans feel he'll be labeled a bust if he doesn't have a huge year. I get it considering the team had to take a lot of criticism for picking him but I think he's capable of an 1100 yard, 8 touchdown type of year and let's not forget he can be a weapon in the passing game as well. If he has a prime AP type of year, great. but that's not more important than the team having success. I wouldn't care if he has 2k yards and the Bengals are 6-10. A capable running attack will go a long way for this team and Dalton. Let's just focus on that.
Reply/Quote
My two cents. I am in the 14th year of a 12 team league league, non-PPR, $200 buy-in, very competitive. I pick 10th. I took Kamara there and battled because the safer pick was Gordon. I took Mixon in the 2nd. There are many fantasy experts from Mike Taglierre (Fantasy Pros) and Jeff Ratcliffe ( Pro Football Focus) that are with me on this and have Mixon projected high. There aren't many guys projected to get 300-350 touches and regardless of what anyone thinks Mixon is an exceptional athlete and talent. He is a true 3 down back and an excellent receiver. I want to win, not get 4th place so I draft for upside. If Mixon (and Kamara) ends up a top 5 back then I cruise to the playoffs and likely high score.

There are always tons of receivers with upside later. top 10 RB's are much harder to find. You can find safe picks, but the odds of a breakout guy are much slimmer.

Also, there should be receiving talent in the 3rd and 4th. I took TY Hilton and Baldwin who could end up top 10 in WR's.
Reply/Quote
I tried to get Mixon in the 3rd, didn't happen.

I'm indifferent about my team, 12 team league, not PPR:

QB
Aaron Rodgers
Andy Dalton

RB
David Johnson
Jordan Howard
Peyton Barber
CJ Anderson

WR (weak position)
Marvin Jones
Demaryius Thomas
John Ross
Cooper Kupp

TE
Kyle Rudolph
Mike Gesicki
Tyler Kroft (when Eifert goes down)

DEF
Vikings

Kicker
Tucker
[Image: sig2.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 07:13 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Meh Before dalton broke his thumb in 2015, his team was 10-2 and he was in the mvp consideration. In those 12 games the bengals had a 3.8 ypc average, which when compared to the final season stats of the rest of the league, would have ranked them tied for 25th. So, while not ideal, I’d say he can be just fine with a lackluster running game, given he has an Oline that isn’t serving him up on a platter to the defense.

Beat me to it. Dalton continues to get beaten up, but if the man has at least a solid pass blocking line in front of him, he's fine. It's just cool to hate on the man that holds the ball the most. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 03:47 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Beat me to it. Dalton continues to get beaten up, but if the man has at least a solid pass blocking line in front of him, he's fine. It's just cool to hate on the man that holds the ball the most. 

No, just cool to hate the man that chokes in big games. Hate is too strong a word, I just don't believe he is good enough in critical games to win a SB (let alone even 1 playoff game)

As for the running game, we have NO IDEA if the Lazor offense is any good at all at running the ball let alone passing. It may be, but it may be a mess as well, it is an unknown. He has had minimal success in the past.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Mixon can catch the ball out of the Back field witch adds another element to his game. He will have a productive season for us even if his rushing numbers are lack luster.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote