Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Ogbuhei or Fisher play Right Tackle ?
Bengals have the worst Offensive Line in NFL but the good news is that if Bengals address Offensive Line early and often there are players that can not only come in here and start but could be long time Prom Bowl players for Bengals. There are top Left Tackles, Top Guards, Top Centers. It would help if either Ogbuhei or Fisher who stink at left tackle could man up and earn their high draft picks at right tackle. Losing Whitworth and Zeitler gave us the worst O Line in NFL. Being 32nd in offense all year is because of worst blocking in NFL. We can address most of it, but I don't see where we address Right Tackle unless we get a free agent. The draft has those good Left Tackles such as McGlinchey out of Notre Dame and good centers such as Price out of Ohio State. Boling can play left tackle or move back to guard. Some fans like our other guards that came on. If we went early in 1 and 2 to fix the worst O Line in NFL, I think we could with for example LT- McGlinchey in 1 and Center/ Guard - Price or Ragnow in 2. ....We could improve this awful blocking greatly and protect the QB, open running lanes and pass the ball down field and Score Points, Win Games....but can we get anything at all out of top picks Ogbuhei and Fisher. I would like to think they could at least play Right Tackle. I know they were awful at Left Tackle, but maybe one of them could man Right Tackle.

There is great talent in the draft to turn the worst offensive line in NFL around. Other than Boling, we need help across the board but that's hard to do. If we could get 2 top studs early...but it keeps coming back that one of these top picks in Ogbuhei and Fisher could help us by manning up at Right Tackle and proving they weren't both just awful draft picks. ....IF WE CAN REBUILD O LINE and GET BLOCKERS IN HERE, protect Dalton, give him passing time, open running lanes, this offense could return to the 8-0 start of 2015, BUT WE NEED BLOCKING. You would think one of these two top picks could at least play right tackle.

I know there will always be draft fans that want defense or WR or RB but losing Whitworth and Zeitler combined with the failure of Ogbuhei and Fisher high picks, THe O-Line is a total disaster area. The good news is with early picks in rounds 1 and 2 we could get some draft pick blockers NFL scouts are raving about as future Pro Bowl. If we can get a 1st or 2nd round comp pick for McCarron to also draft a defensive player with 2 early O Linemen, even better. We can get back to being the team that started 8-0 in 2015 if we bring in blocking to add to Boling. NFL Scouts are high on some of the top draft O Linemen such as Nelson, Price and McGlinchey and a couple others. The draft blocking is there, and we need it more than any other NFL team. Dalton was on pace to be NFL MVP in 2015, and if we get blocking in here it should all get back on pace.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Recall that Ogbuehi was so bad at RT, that they thought putting him at LT would be an IMPROVEMENT.
Recall that Fisher was so bad at RT, that they thought putting Andre Smith at RT would be an improvement.

How about you just cut your losses on Ogbuehi and send him packing, and you make Fisher your backup RT.

If either are starting, the OL is still going to be a shitshow.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 09:16 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Recall that Ogbuehi was so bad at RT, that they thought putting him at LT would be an IMPROVEMENT.
Recall that Fisher was so bad at RT, that they thought putting Andre Smith at RT would be an improvement.

How about you just cut your losses on Ogbuehi and send him packing, and you make Fisher your backup RT.

If either are starting, the OL is still going to be a shitshow.

That first sentence is so depressing.

Coaches room, coach A: “He sucks at rt.”
Coach B: “I know, let’s let him protect the blindside”. All coaches: laugh and go to Applebee’s.

It’s a minor miracle 14’s career isn’t over.
Reply/Quote
CO has almost singlehandedly cost us two seasons. Time to cut the guy and move on. Since it was determined Fisher was playing with a heart ailment, I am willing to give him another year to see if he can come back and play up to his draft position. If not, he should be gone as well.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 09:22 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: That first sentence is so depressing.

Coaches room, coach A: “He sucks at rt.”
Coach B: “I know, let’s let him protect the blindside”. All coaches: laugh and go to Applebee’s.

It’s a minor miracle 14’s career isn’t over.

The HC and the now-OC were both in the room when that decision was made and apparently didn't object.

Both are still with the team.

All you need to really think about in order to justify a highly diminished interest in this coming year(s).

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 09:31 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The HC and the now-OC were both in the room when that decision was made and apparently didn't object.

Both are still with the team.

All you need to really think about in order to justify a highly diminished interest in this coming year(s).

Do you know that they didn't object, or did they get overruled????
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 09:34 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Do you know that they didn't object, or did they get overruled????

By the OL coach? Don't tell me that Mike Brown overruled them, because Marvin made it very clear with Ross that he could play (or not play) whomever he wanted. No, this was something that Marvin was okay with.

I will accept that maybe Lazor objected, but we have no way of knowing.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 09:41 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: By the OL coach? Don't tell me that Mike Brown overruled them, because Marvin made it very clear with Ross that he could play (or not play) whomever he wanted. No, this was something that Marvin was okay with.

I will accept that maybe Lazor objected, but we have no way of knowing.

Or was Marvin saying that because he has to? Truth is, no one not in that room knows what goes on in that room. Everything else is conjecture.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 09:49 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Or was Marvin saying that because he has to? Truth is, no one not in that room knows what goes on in that room. Everything else is conjecture.

Or was Marvin saying what? John Ross was a healthy scratch for most of the season, that wasn't saying anything. He clearly didn't want the player, and so he had the guy sit. He had the power to sit someone he didn't want playing. That's not even a fact that can be debated.

If he wanted to bench Ogbuehi, he could have. At some point he either had to sign off on it, or at the very least decide to not fight it, which is the same as signing off on it in the end.

Reply/Quote
Everybody's making a pretty good argument for not even counting on either of these 2. If the O Line coach was huge in drafting them, could be why he got the ax....I don't think we can fill all our needs in the draft. May need a free agent Right Tackle and we once brought in Joe Walter from Canadian Football and in 1988 Super Bowl year he was Pro Bowl Right Tackle. ...You folks have me convinced now not to count on Og and Fish to much...Bengals need to look Free Agent for a Right Tackle.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I want Mike McGlinchey with our first. Dream scenario would be the Bengals win on McCarron's arbitration and end up getting that 2nd rounder from the Browns for him. We'd then have the ammo to move back up into the 1st and snag Billy Price. BOOM! Ofeensive line issues solved.
LT - McGlinchey
LG - Boling
C - Price
RG - Hopkins/Westerman/Redmond (Open Comp)
RT - We could keep Smith and or sign a FA Tackle and let Fisher compete between the 3. Best man wins. I personally wouldn't mind Westerman at RG and Hopkins kicked out to RT as I think he could be really good out there but I am alot higher on Hopkins than most.

I think that would solve all of our OL problems but just a dream scenario for me.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 09:55 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Or was Marvin saying what? John Ross was a healthy scratch for most of the season, that wasn't saying anything. He clearly didn't want the player, and so he had the guy sit. He had the power to sit someone he didn't want playing. That's not even a fact that can be debated.

If he wanted to bench Ogbuehi, he could have. At some point he either had to sign off on it, or at the very least decide to not fight it, which is the same as signing off on it in the end.

Wouldn't you love to know the real story behind the whole Mike Brown, Marvin Lewis, Paul Alexander - Ogbuehi, Fisher, Bodine, playing and Whit, and Zeitler leaving )-line ended up sucking ass and we all knew it would. THEY HAD TO KNOW IT WOULD TO total cluster f#@^ story ?

But at any rate to Kevin's question: I agree with those that say give Fisher another chance if he can play. Ogbuehi and Bodine have to go !

Ogbuehi doesn't have the mean streak in him to play LT in the NFL. Bodine can't anchor the center. I'm really anxious to see if this "new" leadership is going to have some balls and fix it, or go through another season of the BS we've come to know so well as the running ruining of this football team ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 10:18 AM)kevin Wrote: Everybody's making a pretty good argument for not even counting on either of these 2.   If the O Line coach was huge in drafting them, could be why he got the ax....I don't think we can fill all our needs in the draft.  May need a free agent Right Tackle and we once brought in Joe Walter from Canadian Football and in 1988 Super Bowl year he was Pro Bowl Right Tackle.  ...You folks have me convinced now not to count on Og and Fish to much...Bengals need to look Free Agent for a Right Tackle.

Here's how I personally would build the OL for 2018....
LT - Draft one in the first round because I don't have faith there will be a good one available in the rounds after and the FA crop is bad too. Yes, the top OTs in the draft may not be considered "elite" and Top 5 picks but then again was Whitworth considered elite when drafted given he fell to the 2nd round?
LG - Boling. Keep him here but swing him out to LT in a pinch
C - Draft one in Rounds 2-3. There should be a handful of good ones available.
RG - Westerman, Redmond, or Hopkins can hold down this spot. I prefer Westerman.
RT - Re-sign Andre Smith. He would be a satisfactory band aid while Fisher hopefully can fully return to football and get some more grooming.

If an injury happens to Smith and Fisher is not playing up to par, swing McGlinchey to RT (he was dominant at RT in college), push Boling out to LT, and move one of the guards to LG.
Unfortunately for Ogbuehi, he needs to be fully relegated to permanent backup unless the new OL coach and Lazor can really coach him up this year. If not, it doesn't make sense to pick up his 5th year option and he will hit FA in 2019.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I looked up Ced O highlights from college, and the majority of plays had him playing at right guard. Left me speechless.

If either player is to have a significant future with this team, I have to believe it will be at guard. Can't rely on them for tackle help, they proved that this year.

The only way they can be salvaged as tackles is if the new O-line coach brings a totally new scheme and is able to get them out of their own heads.
Reply/Quote
I don't think you cut Ogb. They need backups at RT and LT.

I think we can fix the line in the Draft. Need wise we don't need much but 2 tackles, a C, and some LB's. This is a good Oline draft, so we should be able to get a LT early, and RT and C within the first 3 rounds (with comps).

Lazor is familiar with the top RT in Free Agency from his time with the Dolphins. That would be a good signing, but we already know better.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
The thing about drafting new players is you never really know if they're going to be great players until they're actually great players..
I wish I had a nickel for every good college player projected to be a great NFL player that didn't..or a nickel for everyone who ever thought that having the number one overall pick in the draft was going to win a championship or for every player labeled a bust their first few seasons that turned out to be pretty good after all..
I'm in no way predicting these guys are going to be great players down the road, but drafting replacements year after year carries no guarantees of success. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 10:18 AM)kevin Wrote: Everybody's making a pretty good argument for not even counting on either of these 2.   If the O Line coach was huge in drafting them, could be why he got the ax....I don't think we can fill all our needs in the draft.  May need a free agent Right Tackle and we once brought in Joe Walter from Canadian Football and in 1988 Super Bowl year he was Pro Bowl Right Tackle.  ...You folks have me convinced now not to count on Og and Fish to much...Bengals need to look Free Agent for a Right Tackle.

I'd be relieved if they could finally have a good FA RT.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 03:17 PM)phil413 Wrote: I'd be relieved if they could finally have a good FA RT.

Well played.  I will never outgrow a good fart joke.  At least, I hope I won't.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I have no doubt og and fish can play either tackle spot.

In pee wee.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
NO!

[Image: resized_250499-5cditka29pbw_12-23552_t63...950bdf1585]

.....next question....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote