Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Reds Have a Better April Than Last Year ?
The Reds were just awful in April last year. Hence the worst attendance since early 1980's for Reds in 2022.

I've seen that Money Ball movie a million times. I agree with the fact that small market teams have to accept they do not have New York money, and this very much applies to Cincinnati. I agree with the fat Yale grad Pete who majored in economics when he says no resigning Damon was a great move, it opens up many possibilities. That the old baseball people think in terms of buying players and that is out dated, a small market team should be thinking in terms of buying wins, and how to win on a small budget.

However I do not agree with the Billy Bean GM character on that if you do not win the World Series, you had a bad season. He says this after winning 100 games, and he is setting the goals of a small market team too high. What he does not understand at the beginning of the movie is when he goes to the owner for more money for players, and the owner says no. The owners is right, there is no extra money.

So Reds ownership is out to make some money, not just keep losing money. There is no point to owning a baseball team or anything if all you do is lose money. The exceptions are things like public transit which everybody knows run at a loss, but provide a basic need to the community.

So Reds goal should be to win more games on a smaller payroll and try to increase fan attendance and TV viewership, and make money instead of losing money. That has to be the #1 goal. Reds can not afford to keep losing money, or the Reds will have to shut down and go out of business.

So, can Reds play better in April and win more games than last April. This really is a One Step At A Time program here. Or in sales, have a good next month. The next month is April. Losing in April won't cut it. Reds need to do far better in April than last year to bring people out to the ball park. That is the goal at this time, not the World Series. Don't even think about October into November. Focus on April.

I think if the Reds come out with Pitching and Defense after a good Spring Training of working on defensive fundamentals of throwing to the right base or cut off man, they could be better in April. Many a pro baseball game is lost because some pro player tries to throw out a runner at home from the outfield, and all the other runners move up. Even high school teams know better. Pitching and smart defense will win more games in April, and you don't need the highest paid team to do it, but are Reds smart enough to play good solid defense ?

If Reds go at this the right way, they should be better in April than last year. Then focus on May. Do not worry about playing on Halloween. Concern themselves with April and brining Fans back to the ball park. I feel this is what Billy Bean misses in Money Ball movie, but I do agree with the economics, the Reds do not have Yankees money. However Billy Bean is thinking World Series which is wrong. The goal should be for Reds not to lose money by winning more games. That starts with having a decent April and hopefully a decent May. Give the Fans a reason to come to the ball park. Put April and May above Halloween when most teams ae eliminated anyway.

I see no reason the Reds can't have a good April. They have good young pitching, so all they have to do is back up the pitching with good, smart defense. Cut down on the runs the other team scores. Pitching and Defense wins a lot of games. Chicks may dig the long ball, but you win with Pitching and Defense. Reds should have both in April, if they work on it in March in Cactus League. Build It And They Will Come. Win some more games in April, and Reds will make MONEY, which has to be a major goal, Making Money. The Reds can't keep losing money, Ownership has said this loud and clear. As for chicks digging the long ball, Great American Small Park will provide that. Reds will hit homers, you don't need to be AaRon Judge to jack a homer in Great American Small Park.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
The Reds started out going 3-22 to start last season. I sure hope they can.

But I have no delusions they're going to be a force or anything.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sure the Reds will probably have a better April. For the rest of the season, we'll see. lol
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 11:11 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Reds started out going 3-22 to start last season. I sure hope they can.

But I have no delusions they're going to be a force or anything.

By the end of April, the season will already be over in terms of no playoff hopes. Even if they have a better April, I'm not sure it matters.

I'll be checking out the youth with hopes that something good can come together for the 2025 season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote