Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Reds pick up free agency pitcher?
Just saw on ESPN that Strasburg, Cole, and other good pitchers are free agents. Can the Reds sign at least one of them? The price will be high. Personally, I like our starting pitching better than the bullpen and maybe spend the money on the bullpen instead. Not sure what relievers are available. Pitching is the key to win.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2019, 11:11 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Just saw on ESPN that Strasburg, Cole, and other good pitchers are free agents. Can the Reds sign at least one of them? The price will be high. Personally, I like our starting pitching better than the bullpen and maybe spend the money on the bullpen instead. Not sure what relievers are available. Pitching is the key to win.

I think the Reds will sign Grandal which I am not thrilled about.  rather have mookie.  I cannot see them signing top tier pitchers.  Maybe DiDi Gregorius and move Galvis to 2nd base.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2019, 07:32 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think the Reds will sign Grandall which I am not thrilled about.  rather have mookie.  I cannot see them signing top tier pitchers.  Maybe DiDi Gregorius and move Galvis to 2nd base.  

Here’s a question I have. The league loves DiDi. Iglesias is the same age, had twice the WAR last year, is half as expensive and isn’t coming off of a major surgery. Iglesias is also a wizard with the glove. Why is everyone so high on DiDi while not even interested in Iglesias? Am I missing something?
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 12:38 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Here’s a question I have. The league loves DiDi. Iglesias is the same age, had twice the WAR last year, is half as expensive and isn’t coming off of a major surgery. Iglesias is also a wizard with the glove. Why is everyone so high on DiDi while not even interested in Iglesias? Am I missing something?

Yankees mystique ...That is all.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 12:38 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Here’s a question I have. The league loves DiDi. Iglesias is the same age, had twice the WAR last year, is half as expensive and isn’t coming off of a major surgery. Iglesias is also a wizard with the glove. Why is everyone so high on DiDi while not even interested in Iglesias? Am I missing something?

Didi was coming off major surgery last season. He is healthy now. Didi’s career WAR is 10.5. He hit 16 homers in 82 games, Iglesias hit 11 in 146 games. The power upside is what people are drooling about.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 07:20 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Didi was coming off major surgery last season. He is healthy now. Didi’s career WAR is 10.5. He hit 16 homers in 82 games, Iglesias hit 11 in 146 games. The power upside is what people are drooling about.

He also hit .238 with a .276 OBP. You could sign Iglesias and a good reliever for the price of Didi. I can see where Didi could have more offensive upside. I’m just not sure that the numbers will justify the money difference, I might be wrong on that though. I just didn’t get why one guy was rated very high and the other guy is rated so low. I really hope that the Reds don’t just roll with the current outfield.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 11:52 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: He also hit .238 with a .276 OBP. You could sign Iglesias and a good reliever for the price of Didi. I can see where Didi could have more offensive upside. I’m just not sure that the numbers will justify the money difference, I might be wrong on that though. I just didn’t get why one guy was rated very high and the other guy is rated so low. I really hope that the Reds don’t just roll with the current outfield.

The Reds middle defense HAS to improve above all else. The bullpen also needs a lot of help. While SS may be ok defensively 2nd isn't and Nick Senzel really isn't ever going to be a gold glover in center. For that matter we don't know how he'll fare at 2nd as opposed to 3rd where he was originally drafted. I want to believe the starting pitching will be solid, but as with any starting pitching staff they can go from brilliant one year to batting practice the next. We saw three relief pitchers go from really solid the year before to horrible last year and our closer fell off the edge of the planet from extreme misuse by Bell. I have no idea if Bell has learned a damned thing since last season or not, but if I had to bet the farm on his sudden genius I wouldn't even bet a cow turd on it.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 11:52 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: He also hit .238 with a .276 OBP. You could sign Iglesias and a good reliever for the price of Didi. I can see where Didi could have more offensive upside. I’m just not sure that the numbers will justify the money difference, I might be wrong on that though. I just didn’t get why one guy was rated very high and the other guy is rated so low. I really hope that the Reds don’t just roll with the current outfield.

I think we can give the guy a break on his batting stats this season since he was coming off Tommy John surgery and basically had to go through spring training mid-season. His career BA is .268 and .313 OBP. He's an offensive upgrade to Iglesias when it comes to driving in runs and a wash defensively, so would be an overall upgrade at SS. I'm assuming he would cost a lot more though.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2019, 10:39 AM)grampahol Wrote: The Reds middle defense HAS to improve above all else. The bullpen also needs a lot of help. While SS may be ok defensively 2nd isn't and Nick Senzel really isn't ever going to be a gold glover in center. For that matter we don't know how he'll fare at 2nd as opposed to 3rd where he was originally drafted. I want to believe the starting pitching will be solid, but as with any starting pitching staff they can go from brilliant one year to batting practice the next. We saw three relief pitchers go from really solid the year before to horrible last year and our closer fell off the edge of the planet from extreme misuse by Bell. I have no idea if Bell has learned a damned thing since last season or not, but if I had to bet the farm on his sudden genius I wouldn't even bet a cow turd on it.

Galvis is very good defensively at 2B. Bothe Iglesias and DiDi are very good defensively at SS. My personal opinion is that Bell isn’t a good manager at all.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2019, 12:12 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think we can give the guy a break on his batting stats this season since he was coming off Tommy John surgery and basically had to go through spring training mid-season. His career BA is .268 and .313 OBP. He's an offensive upgrade to Iglesias when it comes to driving in runs and a wash defensively, so would be an overall upgrade at SS. I'm assuming he would cost a lot more though.

I agree but as I was saying, the extra money could be spent on the bullpen or go to an OF upgrade.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 12:34 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I agree but as I was saying, the extra money could be spent on the bullpen or go to an OF upgrade.

I hoping Williams was telling the truth and the payroll will go up quite a bit. The team should be able to add a good bat to the OF and IF and an arm for the bullpen.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 01:57 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I hoping Williams was telling the truth and the payroll will go up quite a bit. The team should be able to add a good bat to the OF and IF and an arm for the bullpen.

I think it will go up a lot. Hopefully they spend it wisely. The Reds fans need to see a winning season at the very least.
Reply/Quote
I don't know if they need any starting pitchers, bullpen is the problem,outside of lorenzen the bull pen really drops off. I believe they need more bats on offense. The problem is imho Votto has seen his better days,but he's locked in till ???. I don't know but,williams said they are gonna open up the purse strings. Let's just hope he has enuff courage to follow through. I don't know about you guys,but that trade where we picked up Trevor Bauer was a joke. He(Bauer) hasn't shown me much! Just sayin.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 05:29 PM)firstand10 Wrote: I don't know if they need any starting pitchers, bullpen is the problem,outside of lorenzen the bull pen really drops off. I believe they need more bats on offense. The problem is imho Votto has seen his better days,but he's locked in till ???. I don't know but,williams said they are gonna open up the purse strings. Let's just hope he has enuff courage to follow through. I don't know about you guys,but that trade where we picked up Trevor Bauer was a joke. He(Bauer) hasn't shown me much! Just sayin.

You can never have enough starting pitching. Castillo, Gray and Disco make a solid 3. I’m not sold on Bauer or Mahle, for that reason signing a solid number 5 wouldn’t be the worst idea. They probably need 3 out of the 8 new starters at the position players. I think they’ll settle for 2. It would be nice to add 2 new relievers too. I don’t think Bauer will be worth what he will make.
Reply/Quote
Report that Reds are pursuing Wheeler, free agent from the Mets. Reports are he’s in line for $100 million contract at 5-6 years. I would hate this signing.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/zack-wheeler-reds-free-agency
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 12:47 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Report that Reds are pursuing Wheeler, free agent from the Mets. Reports are he’s in line for $100 million contract at 5-6 years. I would hate this signing.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/zack-wheeler-reds-free-agency

It has Homer Bailey written all over it. The Reds philosophy should be free agent hitters and draft and trade for top pitchers. That’s my opinion anyways.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 01:32 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: It has Homer Bailey written all over it. The Reds philosophy should be free agent hitters and draft and trade for top pitchers. That’s my opinion anyways.

I also thought another Homer deal. Please do not spend $100 million on an average pitcher.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 01:32 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: It has Homer Bailey written all over it. The Reds philosophy should be free agent hitters and draft and trade for top pitchers. That’s my opinion anyways.

Or at least go after guys that don’t have mile long injury histories to go along with mediocre stats.
Reply/Quote
Dodged a potential bullet. Wheeler is signing with the Phillies for $118 million.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 05:12 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Dodged a potential bullet. Wheeler is signing with the Phillies for $118 million.

Guys, the Reds dodged a bullet on that one. No thanks!
Reply/Quote