Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can They Do It Again?
Each year we have doubted the front office, yet when it is all said and done, about halfway thru the season, we are praising their decisions.

I for one have been on here screaming to sign Iloka back as soon as possible. We need them ALL back! right?!

We laughed at the Dalton contract... well that worked out pretty well.
We worried that AJ and Atkins would get away... they are here for the long haul.
We wondered what would happen with Burfict and his contract situation, and Dunlap as well.. all still here.

Maybe its time to sit back and trust what they are doing, even if we lose some key players tomorrow.

Perhaps everything will be A-OK in the end, and we just love to complain.

This FO has surprised me before, and I hope they do it again. Who Dey
Reply/Quote
I'm sorry but they are good about signing contacts before they expire. They usually don't let their priority players get to the eve of Free Agency without re-signing.

I'm in panic mode. They put out propaganda about how we don't have any money and we've only re-signed players so far that we wouldn't have to worry about another team trying to take (seriously, who actually wants Brandon Tate?).

So when I see that Nelson, Iloka, Pacman, Hall, Rey, Jones, Sanu aren't re-signed I get worried. Tomorrow all of our free agents could be signing a new contract with another team and that would leave us with a completely depleted defensive unit.

So, I don't believe they can do it again. But, if they somehow are able to field a somewhat respectable defense next year, I'll eat crow.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 10:11 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: I'm sorry but they are good about signing contacts before they expire. They usually don't let their priority players get to the eve of Free Agency without re-signing.

I'm in panic mode. They put out propaganda about how we don't have any money and we've only re-signed players so far that we wouldn't have to worry about another team trying to take (seriously, who actually wants Brandon Tate?).

So when I see that Nelson, Iloka, Pacman, Hall, Rey, Jones, Sanu aren't re-signed I get worried. Tomorrow all of our free agents could be signing a new contract with another team and that would leave us with a completely depleted defensive unit.

So, I don't believe they can do it again. But, if they somehow are able to field a somewhat respectable defense next year, I'll eat crow.

I agree.

I really hope we can work our magic and resign all our players but it seems quite unlikely that we would win a bidding war with some teams like Browns, Raiders, Jags, Falcons, etc.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 09:36 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Each year we have doubted the front office, yet when it is all said and done, about halfway thru the season, we are praising their decisions.

I for one have been on here screaming to sign Iloka back as soon as possible. We need them ALL back! right?!

We laughed at the Dalton contract... well that worked out pretty well.
We worried that AJ and Atkins would get away... they are here for the long haul.
We wondered what would happen with Burfict and his contract situation, and Dunlap as well.. all still here.

Maybe its time to sit back and trust what they are doing, even if we lose some key players tomorrow.

Perhaps everything will be A-OK in the end, and we just love to complain.

This FO has surprised me before, and I hope they do it again. Who Dey
You are absolutely right.  The front office has been doing a great job, and they always start out slow in free agency.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bengals have almost always paid top dollar to keep their best players. Don't know why people are acting like we are going to change our ways now that we are doing so well.

We won't be able to bring back all of our starters (Dre Smith, Leon Hall, Adam Jones, George Iloka, Reggie Nelson, MO Sanu, and Marvin Jones), but to claim that they will all be gone is ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
Too many people claim free agency is a time when every team in the league gets better except the Bengals.  But in reality that is impossible for every team to get better when every signing by one team is a loss by another team.  People like to act like these free agents just appear out of thin air because apparently the Bengals are the only team that does not pay enough to keep all of its own players either.

Over the last decade the Bengals have lost two good players to free agency....Michael Johnson (but for just one season) and Johnathan Joseph.  During that same period of time they have signed multiple starters.  So while the Bengals have made some small gains in the free agency market, they have suffered very few losses.

You can not just look at "players signed" to judge free agency and ignore "players lost".  Every good free agent that people pine for the Bengals to sign every year are a loss to some other team.

This year it looks like we will definitely lose more than we re-sign, but that is just the reality of having a deep talented roster.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 10:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Too many people claim free agency is a time when every team in the league gets better except the Bengals.  But in reality that is impossible for every team to get better when every signing by one team is a loss by another team.  People like to act like these free agents just appear out of thin air because apparently the Bengals are the only team that does not pay enough to keep all of its own players either.

Over the last decade the Bengals have lost two good players to free agency....Michael Johnson (but for just one season) and Johnathan Joseph.  During that same period of time they have signed multiple starters.  So while the Bengals have made some small gains in the free agency market, they have suffered very few losses.

You can not just look at "players signed" to judge free agency and ignore "players lost".  Every good free agent that people pine for the Bengals to sign every year are a loss to some other team.

This year it looks like we will definitely lose more than we re-sign, but that is just the reality of having a deep talented roster.

You also have to take into account that having such a talented team, means you are going to lose some talent. This is a problem only GOOD teams have.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote