Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Trump Save Their Jobs? They’re Counting on It
(11-17-2016, 04:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As a business owner he could not tariff all businesses, so not taking advantage of a competitive edge that his competition had would be poor business practice. As POTUS, he can call for legislature that would affect all business owners the same.

Why do folks not understand that Trump was not a politician and only took advantage of measures that were allowed by law? Who better to address and understand these issues than one that has used them?

Who better to lead the NAACP than former KKK Imperial Wizard David Duke because he understands and participated in racism against African Americans?  Mr. Duke understands how to solve racism because he is a racist.
(11-17-2016, 03:47 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Right, increase profits. Why should we hold him to a higher standard than we do any other business owner?

Oh, as a business owner I don't. A business has to do what's best for its owner(s) first.

But he's not a business owner in this respect. He's the POTUS. Some people voted for him because they thought — since he was a successful business owner who only lost a billion dollars one year — that he could improve the economy by applying his knowledge to policy. But if his knowledge is just "outsource to cheaper countries, insource lower paid workers" I'm not seeing how that's going to improve the economy.

Quote:More to the point, everyone plays by the same rules.

I wish. If small business owners could insulate themselves from loss like corporations do, our economy would be very different. Better or worse, I'm not sure. Or if corporations weren't so protected, we'd have a more level playing field. But there are at least two sets of rules depending on your business'  income bracket.

Quote: As the rules are currently, some things are just cheaper from China than they are here. If that changes (via Tarif etc) then you will see companies coming back or new companies forming to meet the market demands because they do what's best for their bottom line. And you don't have to make the Tarif higher than it would cost to buy the item locally, just setting it to a point where both are fairly even. It's much more convenient to get your merchandise from down the road than it is from overseas.

I can't answer why the Valade family does it because I'm not sure who the Valade family is (elaborate please what type of business are they in?).

Carhartt. One of several companies that still makes a lot of their stuff in the US. Entirely, no, but a large part of it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-17-2016, 04:11 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Who better to lead the NAACP than former KKK Imperial Wizard David Duke because he understands and participated in racism against African Americans?  Mr. Duke understands how to solve racism because he is a racist.

You make an excellent point. He'd be a great asset to anti-racisim movements, if he changed his focus to helping and were to call out and expose what he and fellow racists were doing.

Glad to see we are open-minded and on the same sheet of music. The close-minded might just assert he could not be an asset because what he had done in the past.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-17-2016, 03:47 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Right, increase profits. Why should we hold him to a higher standard than we do any other business owner?
More to the point, everyone plays by the same rules. As the rules are currently, some things are just cheaper from China than they are here. If that changes (via Tarif etc) then you will see companies coming back or new companies forming to meet the market demands because they do what's best for their bottom line. And you don't have to make the Tarif higher than it would cost to buy the item locally, just setting it to a point where both are fairly even. It's much more convenient to get your merchandise from down the road than it is from overseas.

I can't answer why the Valade family does it because I'm not sure who the Valade family is (elaborate please what type of business are they in?).

You do realize that tariffs will mean you pay a lot more for everything you buy, correct?

We live in a global market.  we can not just isolate outselves.  US companies currently make huge profits selling products in other countries.  If we raise tariffs here then we are going to lose those markets.

Tariffs won't work.  We can not live in a bubble.
(11-17-2016, 04:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You make an excellent point. He'd be a great asset to anti-racisim movements, if he changed his focus to helping and were to call out and expose what he and fellow racists were doing.

Glad to see we are open-minded and on the same sheet of music.  The close-minded might just assert he could not be an asset because what he had done in the past.

Exactly!

Who better to run the FBI and the DEA than the Mafia?  The Mafia has taken advantage of the system to make money all these years so of course they will fix the system they have taken advantage of as soon as they are in charge of the system to crack down on the Mafia.  We should really have an open mind and not hold their past against them.

Now that I think about it, Trump should hand out amnesty to all the illegal immigrants and focus on helping them instead of holding their past against them.  

Enhanced background checks on Muslim refugees from Syria and Iraq?  Let's not be closed minded about what they may have done in the past.  I'm sure everything will bfine.  Who better to operate our counter-terrorism organizations than terrorists?
(11-17-2016, 04:15 PM)Benton Wrote: But he's not a business owner in this respect. He's the POTUS. Some people voted for him because they thought — since he was a successful business owner who only lost a billion dollars one year — that he could improve the economy by applying his knowledge to policy. But if his knowledge is just "outsource to cheaper countries, insource lower paid workers" I'm not seeing how that's going to improve the economy.

Rep.

Trump does not care about the US economy.  All he cares about is making more money for himself.  That is all he has ever done his entire life.  He admits and even brags about it.  I don't know why anyone would think he would do anything different as POTUS.
(11-17-2016, 04:40 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Exactly!

Who better to run the FBI and the DEA than the Mafia?  The Mafia has taken advantage of the system to make money all these years so of course they will fix the system they have taken advantage of as soon as they are in charge of the system to crack down on the Mafia.  We should really have an open mind and not hold their past against them.

Now that I think about it, Trump should hand out amnesty to all the illegal immigrants and focus on helping them instead of holding their past against them.  

Enhanced background checks on Muslim refugees from Syria and Iraq?  Let's not be closed minded about what they may have done in the past.  I'm sure everything will bfine.  Who better to operate our counter-terrorism organizations than terrorists?

There you go again down absurd highway....Bye, travel it alone.

(11-17-2016, 04:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rep.

Trump does not care about the US economy.  All he cares about is making more money for himself.  That is all he has ever done his entire life.  He admits and even brags about it.  I don't know why anyone would think he would do anything different as POTUS.

Welp, at least you are approaching this with an open mind.

So if the tax cuts for the rich balance out the added cost of tariffs? What then? Lower minimum wage so we can compete with 3rd world labor costs?
(11-17-2016, 04:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There you go again down absurd highway....Bye, travel it alone.

You started the absurdity, I'm just giving you examples of your logic.  Who better to operate a liqour store than an alcoholic?  Who is better at operating a pharmacy than a narcotic addict?

"Who better to address and understand these issues than one that has used them?"

Who?  How about the business person who was successful in spite of them, not because of them.  If Trump wanted to make America great again he could have started with himself first at any time.

Who better to guard the henhouse, the fox or the farmer?
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/column-trumps-outrage-over-outsourcing-doesnt-apply-to-his-own-merchandise/

Quote:Trump castigates American companies like Apple, Ford, Carrier and Kraft that use their brands to sell goods in the U.S., but produce them in other countries. Indeed, he appears to be so outraged by the practice that he proposes a 15 percent tax on companies for outsourcing jobs and a 20 percent tax for importing goods. More recently, he has spoken of a 45 percent tariff on Chinese imports.

Rather than create an incentive for corporations to create jobs, Trump proposes to tax the companies which outsource jobs overseas and imports  Every businessman worth his weight in golden parachutes will tell you taxes only get passed onto the consumer.  Taxing companies for "globalization" won't create jobs in America, only higher prices for the middle class.

But, who better to solve the problem than the guy who took advantage of the system with barely more than $70 million dollars of his daddy's money?
(11-16-2016, 01:38 AM)Benton Wrote: what makes you think that 2.5 million were employed?

This is true, I never thought of it. So what you're saying is that if people want to leave the US because Trump won the election, those people are most likely far left loons living off the government. So, rather than creating jobs, Trump cut welfare, saved money and no one even knows about it. Ninja
(11-17-2016, 05:55 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: This is true, I never thought of it. So what you're saying is that if people want to leave the US because Trump won the election, those people are most likely far left loons living off the government. So, rather than creating jobs, Trump cut welfare, saved money and no one even knows about it. Ninja

Sounds like a win-win.

(11-17-2016, 05:07 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You started the absurdity, I'm just giving you examples of your logic.  Who better to operate a liqour store than an alcoholic?  Who is better at operating a pharmacy than a narcotic addict?

"Who better to address and understand these issues than one that has used them?"

Who?  How about the business person who was successful in spite of them, not because of them.  If Trump wanted to make America great again he could have started with himself first at any time.

Who better to guard the henhouse, the fox or the farmer?

Been down this road before trying to show this to a guy I know but Trump supporters tune out this logic. They are very selective about what they want to understand or hear.
(11-17-2016, 06:06 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Been down this road before trying to show this to a guy I know but Trump supporters tune out this logic. They are very selective about what they want to understand or hear.

No doubt. Those Trump supporters are proving to be very closed-minded.

If you and others think that someone that once participated in an activity could not very well be amongst the best at stopping it; then that's just your open-minded opinion.

(11-17-2016, 06:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No doubt. Those Trump supporters are proving to be very closed-minded.

If you and others think that someone that once participated in an activity could not very well be amongst the best at stopping it; then that's just your open-minded opinion.

So far he has proposed new taxes instead of new incentives to stop out sourcing jobs which will only increase the cost to the consumer. Helluva start to "fixing" the problem. 
(11-17-2016, 04:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: How about we just hold him to the same standard he held others to during the election?  He condemned other businesses for doing the same damn thing he does.  But, somehow he is immune to his own criticism of others for doing the same thing which provoked his criticism?    

I'm don't think he wasn't "condemning" other businesses as much as you make it out, just explaining to people why they left and how to get the jobs back.
(11-17-2016, 06:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No doubt. Those Trump supporters are proving to be very closed-minded.

Here is the deal.  There have been some very wealthy men who have decided that they want to help people and have set up huge philanthropic organizations.  Bill Gates and warren Buffett come to mind.  If one of them had ran for President and claimed that he knew how to fix the problem because he had benefited from it then I would have believed him.  But Trump has spent his entire life bragging about how he does everything to benefit himself and how he is the best at getting over on the rubes.

Well guess what.  He just did his greatest job ever of getting one over on the rubes.  He has not divested himself of any of his business interests and he will not do anything that will cut into his profits in order to help the working class.  There is absolutely NOTHING in his history that suggest that he would do anything like that.

Ignoring that fact is not being "closed minded".  It is just being logical.
(11-17-2016, 07:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is the deal.  There have been some very wealthy men who have decided that they want to help people and have set up huge philanthropic organizations.  Bill Gates and warren Buffett come to mind.  If one of them had ran for President and claimed that he knew how to fix the problem because he had benefited from it then I would have believed him.  But Trump has spent his entire life bragging about how he does everything to benefit himself and how he is the best at getting over on the rubes.

Well guess what.  He just did his greatest job ever of getting one over on the rubes.  He has not divested himself of any of his business interests and he will not do anything that will cut into his profits in order to help the working class.  There is absolutely NOTHING in his history that suggest that he would do anything like that.

Ignoring that fact is not being "closed minded".  It is just being logical.

You could have just said "I'm mad Trump is going to be President" and saved yourself a lot of typing. 

You have zero idea what Trump will do as a public servant as opposed to being a business owner. I happen to think there is a chance that he may use his business acumen to try and help the economy. Of course I'm not open-minded about what he will do. 

(11-17-2016, 06:37 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I'm don't think he wasn't "condemning" other businesses as much as you make it out, just explaining to people why they left and how to get the jobs back.

When he said he wouldn't eat another Oreo again because he claimed Nabisco was closing a plant and moving it to Mexico did he explain why?

No. 

Better yet, did he threaten to boycott any of his own products out sourced overseas? Or move any jobs back to the US?

No.