Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Trump Save Their Jobs? They’re Counting on It
(11-17-2016, 04:11 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Who better to lead the NAACP than former KKK Imperial Wizard David Duke because he understands and participated in racism against African Americans?  Mr. Duke understands how to solve racism because he is a racist.

Not the same and you know it.
Basically he's saying that Trump could use his knowledge of the business side to help the government make better decisions about what is good vs bad for businesses.

(11-17-2016, 04:15 PM)Benton Wrote: Oh, as a business owner I don't. A business has to do what's best for its owner(s) first.

But he's not a business owner in this respect. He's the POTUS. Some people voted for him because they thought — since he was a successful business owner who only lost a billion dollars one year — that he could improve the economy by applying his knowledge to policy. But if his knowledge is just "outsource to cheaper countries, insource lower paid workers" I'm not seeing how that's going to improve the economy.

I wish. If small business owners could insulate themselves from loss like corporations do, our economy would be very different. Better or worse, I'm not sure. Or if corporations weren't so protected, we'd have a more level playing field. But there are at least two sets of rules depending on your business'  income bracket.

Carhartt. One of several companies that still makes a lot of their stuff in the US. Entirely, no, but a large part of it.

Yes he WILL be the next POTUS, but until last week he was still a businessman running for POTUS.
You're not sure what his knowledge is, neither am I. But he did know how to play the tax game and save himself a lot of money. Not only that, but for a guy that lost almost a Billion, to have recovered and now be worth 2 Billion, that is business savy and a little luck.

Thanks for sharing about Carhatt, I will look them up and if it's true, then I look for a pair to try.

(11-17-2016, 04:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You do realize that tariffs will mean you pay a lot more for everything you buy, correct?

We live in a global market.  we can not just isolate outselves.  US companies currently make huge profits selling products in other countries.  If we raise tariffs here then we are going to lose those markets.

Tariffs won't work.  We can not live in a bubble.

Who said that was the final plan? That's just one way to doing things. We could manipulate the American Dollar, likely won't happen.

(11-17-2016, 04:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rep.

Trump does not care about the US economy.  All he cares about is making more money for himself.  That is all he has ever done his entire life.  He admits and even brags about it.  I don't know why anyone would think he would do anything different as POTUS.

Of course he cares about making more money for himself, who doesn't? You? Do you feel you need a paycut?
Because as POTUS he has a chance to leave a legacy behind.

(11-17-2016, 06:06 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Been down this road before trying to show this to a guy I know but Trump supporters tune out this logic. They are very selective about what they want to understand or hear.

Oh sorry, after you call us racists, bigots, xenophobes, sexists, homophobes, deplorables, and uneducated for the last 3-6 months, forgive us if some of us feel like ignoring you.

(11-17-2016, 06:32 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: So far he has proposed new taxes instead of new incentives to stop out sourcing jobs which will only increase the cost to the consumer. Helluva start to "fixing" the problem. 

Key words, "So far", This is just 1 idea, I'm sure there will be more.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-17-2016, 07:48 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Not the same and you know it.
Basically he's saying that Trump could use his knowledge of the business side to help the government make better decisions about what is good vs bad for businesses.

Key words, "So far", This is just 1 idea, I'm sure there will be more.

If that were true and he could use his business knowledge to help government make better decisions about what is good vs. bad for business you would think his very first idea wouldn't be bad for business.
In other words, Trump is going to charge companies that out source jobs overseas a 15% tariff to force them to move jobs back to the US, yet his own threat hasn't caused him to move a single job back to the US to avoid the 15% tariff he is going to charge himself.

F'n brilliant!

Do you think Trump is waiting until Trump thinks Trump is serious?  Or do you think Trump thinks Trump is bluffing?
(11-17-2016, 07:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is the deal.  There have been some very wealthy men who have decided that they want to help people and have set up huge philanthropic organizations.  Bill Gates and warren Buffett come to mind.  If one of them had ran for President and claimed that he knew how to fix the problem because he had benefited from it then I would have believed him.  But Trump has spent his entire life bragging about how he does everything to benefit himself and how he is the best at getting over on the rubes.

Well guess what.  He just did his greatest job ever of getting one over on the rubes.  He has not divested himself of any of his business interests and he will not do anything that will cut into his profits in order to help the working class.  There is absolutely NOTHING in his history that suggest that he would do anything like that.

Ignoring that fact is not being "closed minded".  It is just being logical.

Oh Bull Shit, at one point those guys (Buffet and Gates) were all about themselves as well. You never know what will cause a person to change. Trump meeting everyday Americans and listening to their struggles might have changed him. Who knows? One thing is for certain, you don't know what he will do anymore than the next person. You just want to think you have some special insight that the rest of us don't have. BTW, that insight let you down cause you were one of those that said Trump wouldn't win.

So kick back, let him get sworn in and let's see what he actually does instead of wasting all of our time speculating and driving each other insane.
(11-17-2016, 08:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If that were true and he could use his business knowledge to help government make better decisions about what is good vs. bad for business you would think his very first idea wouldn't be bad for business.

(11-17-2016, 08:10 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: In other words, Trump is going to charge companies that out source jobs overseas a 15% tariff to force them to move jobs back to the US, yet his own threat hasn't caused him to move a single job back to the US to avoid the 15% tariff he is going to charge himself.

F'n brilliant!

Do you think Trump is waiting until Trump thinks Trump is serious?  Or do you think Trump thinks Trump is bluffing?

Waaaa you cry a lot over nothing don't you?
I said we have no idea what he will do and gave 1 possible example and you ran with it like it's the only alternative.

Instead of complaining about what Trump wants to do, why don't you tell us what you think is best way to "fix" the problem and let us have a go at it? After all, we have a couple months before he's sworn in still.
(11-17-2016, 08:42 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Who knows? One thing is for certain, you don't know what he will do anymore than the next person.

That is true. However. His whole personal history is not a sign of confidence. Changes of heart seldomly happen in the age of 70. They might, but it's unlikely. The far bigger point to me is: Appointing his children to keep running his business - while giving the Ivanka husband full access to everything and all that - is a really awful sign. Fears that he might not be trusted are not exaggerated, albeit them being of course still speculative at this point. Maybe the tiger doesn't eat the baby either, but I'd still be very worried about the baby were it now in the tiger's den.

But I'd say the American public should watch very very closely what the ongoing deep connections to his business will bring. Who is getting the assignment of building the wall? Who benefits from the tariffs and whose competition doesn't? Might the winner be the guy whose whole life agenda is about winning, about personal gain, who claims it's smart to not pay taxes, who won't hand out his tax returns? Trump didn't do the slightest thing to make him appear trustworthy. He did a lot of things that make him appear the opposite. That one really seems hard to deny. While one might admit that we all don't know, you might as well admit that it's more than appropriate to be sceptical and, as I said, watch real close here.
The whole argument by the left is absurd. What motivation does Trump have NOT to make the economy better stateside?

I give a damn if Trump industries makes Billions over the next 4 years as long as it and other American based Companies thrive and make quality of life better here.

There are those so spitefull and petty that they hope his plans for the economy fail. You know who you are.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-17-2016, 09:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The whole argument by the left is absurd. What motivation does Trump have NOT to make the economy better stateside?

I give a damn if Trump industries makes Billions over the next 4 years as long as it and other American based Companies thrive and make quality of life better here.

There are those so spitefull and petty that they hope his plans for the economy fail. You know who you are.

the motivation is money.

as it is now, trumps company can lose billions and he makes money. Why change that? He can outsource materials and labor and make money.

improving the economy is a vague concept that doesn't fit everyone. Making things better for one bracket rarely addresses the issues affecting another. The concern is that since he's not got the same problems as most people, he's not got a lot of reasons to fix those problems.
(11-17-2016, 09:39 PM)Benton Wrote: the motivation is money.

as it is now, trumps company can lose billions and he makes money. Why change that? He can outsource materials and labor and make money.

improving the economy is a vague concept that doesn't fit everyone. Making things better for one bracket rarely addresses the issues affecting another. The concern is that since he's not got the same problems as most people, he's not got a lot of reasons to fix those problems.

So his motivation is money, but he decides to run for public office, bring to light the methods that he and others have used to make a profit while screwing the common man, and then will not work to change it while President?

What is it that folks say about tin-foil hats around here? It would be funny if it were not so pitiful. 

(11-17-2016, 07:48 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Oh sorry, after you call us racists, bigots, xenophobes, sexists, homophobes, deplorables, and uneducated for the last 3-6 months, forgive us if some of us feel like ignoring you.

No apologies necessary.

When a candidate has made statements that are sexist, racist and yada-yada those type of titles tend to fly around. Just like if you or I would say those things people might call you out. Go figure we all are held accountable for what we say. When his supporters aren't bothered by his statements well they are probably one of those titles or they are practicing selective hearing/understanding.

The part about Trump and his campaign I found funny was all of the mental gymnastics his supporters went through to be able to look at themselves in the mirror for supporting him. From the establishment Republicans to ordinary people.

By the way homophobes, racists, bigots and xenophobes are deplorable and shouldn't be tolerated. It is what it is they hold our society back. Can't blame the uneducated though for being taken advantage of by Trump. He really loves them.
(11-17-2016, 09:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So his motivation is money, but he decides to run for public office, bring to light the methods that he and others have used to make a profit while screwing the common man, and then will not work to change it while President?

What is it that folks say about tin-foil hats around here? It would be funny if it were not so pitiful. 

The only problem in your conspiracy is he didn't bring anything about himself to light. Only others. His opponents brought it up about him, and generally he would deflect. 

He didn't offer that he lost a billion and didn't pay taxes, he just clarified that it makes him smart. 
When confronted about outsourcing jobs, he just said that's doing business.

Your conspiracy isn't bad, but I wouldn't say it was pitiful.
(11-17-2016, 10:02 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote:  Can't blame the uneducated though for being taken advantage of by Trump. He really loves them.

To be fair, Trump didn't get elected by several million uneducated people. No shortage on either side there.

Trump got elected by an increasingly (and alarmingly large) number of people who are getting left behind. Income inequality, a lack of quality jobs, inability to move up in society. 
(11-18-2016, 12:59 AM)Benton Wrote: The only problem in your conspiracy is he didn't bring anything about himself to light. Only others. His opponents brought it up about him, and generally he would deflect

He didn't offer that he lost a billion and didn't pay taxes, he just clarified that it makes him smart. 
When confronted about outsourcing jobs, he just said that's doing business.

Your conspiracy isn't bad, but I wouldn't say it was pitiful.

Deflection you say?

It would be funny if it were not so pitiful. 

(11-18-2016, 01:21 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Deflection you say?

It would be funny if it were not so pitiful. 

So you think he's going to abolish the rules that made him so much money for the sake of the little guy?  Because he said so on the campaign?   He's spent millions of his own dollars so that he can no longer avoid paying millions of dollars in taxes going forward?  Talk about tiny pitiful hands in a public washroom.  I'd laugh at them. 

Praise Jesus. 
(11-17-2016, 08:49 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Waaaa you cry a lot over nothing don't you?
I said we have no idea what he will do and gave 1 possible example and you ran with it like it's the only alternative.

Instead of complaining about what Trump wants to do, why don't you tell us what you think is best way to "fix" the problem and let us have a go at it? After all, we have a couple months before he's sworn in still.

I'm not using your example. I'm using Trump's own words. Look, if I'm the President-elect with allegedly the most CEO experience of any President and I can help the government make better decisions regarding the economy, I'm probably going to lead with my best ideas for my first 100 days. 

But, Trump proposed new taxes which will only hurt businesses and the economy and raise prices for the consumer and would hurt the middle class rather than help. His first idea is total shit. But, apparently you believe he is tossing out his 37th best idea to fix out sourcing and he is just holding on to his best ideas for later. 

What would I do?  I would sit down with some career staffers that really influence policy and ask for their advice. Because as JustWinBaby claims, even though career staffers don't vote on anything, they are smart and influential and generally know more about the subjects than a novice politician like Trump or myself . . . except when JustWinBaby claims the staff isn't smart or influential enough to affect policy.  Then after we were done talking, I would tell them I'm interested in simplifying corporate taxes, eliminating loopholes, and lowering the corporate tax rates so they are competitive with the overseas countries corporations are moving their headquarters in order to avoid US taxes. 
(11-18-2016, 02:50 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: So you think he's going to abolish the rules that made him so much money for the sake of the little guy?  Because he said so on the campaign?   He's spent millions of his own dollars so that he can no longer avoid paying millions of dollars in taxes going forward?  Talk about tiny pitiful hands in a public washroom.  I'd laugh at them. 

Praise Jesus. 

I think he's going to do what he thinks is best for the US economy "little guy" included. The dude's got more money than he could spend in 2 lifetimes; maybe he's ready to cement his legacy.

I fully realize that it is ant-left of me to not think it's some evil plot of his to destroy the world for his personal gain. Somebody get Austin Powers on the line, Dr Evil has become POTUS.

(11-18-2016, 10:05 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I think he's going to do what he thinks is best for the US economy "little guy" included. The dude's got more money than he could spend in 2 lifetimes; maybe he's ready to cement his legacy.

I fully realize that it is ant-left of me to not think it's some evil plot of his to destroy the world for his personal gain. Somebody get Austin Powers on the line, Dr Evil has become POTUS.

To be fair we don't know how much money he has.  

He might have more debt than income for all we know.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-18-2016, 10:05 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I think he's going to do what he thinks is best for the US economy "little guy" included. The dude's got more money than he could spend in 2 lifetimes; maybe he's ready to cement his legacy.

Because his track record for doing what's best for the 'little guy', hell the US economy for that matter, is...

Hmmm...   Did daddy have a change of heart?  Listening to cats in the cradle while downing taco bowls and kfc on the campaign trail all of a sudden turn him soft?   
(11-18-2016, 10:19 AM)GMDino Wrote: To be fair we don't know how much money he has.  

He might have more debt than income for all we know.

His latest balance sheet has his Net Worth at about $8.7 Billion. With liquid assets of over $300 Million. We know how much money he has, we just don't know how much tax he pays on it.

(11-18-2016, 10:23 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Because his track record for doing what's best for the 'little guy', hell the US economy for that matter, is...

Hmmm...   Did daddy have a change of heart?  Listening to cats in the cradle while downing taco bowls and kfc on the campaign trail all of a sudden turn him soft?   

It's almost like he's been a business man his whole life doing what is best for his stakeholders. As a Public Servant he has a new population of stakeholders and I expect him to do what he thinks is best for them.

I doubt his heart has changed much; his motivation is to do the best he can for those that he has an interest in.

But you could be right; it could be an elaborate scheme to screw the little man. I've also heard he has attached laser to sharks in FL. But only at the "little man" beaches in the Pan Handle.