Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can We Get a Round of Applause for Gio?
Gio Bernard had a really nice game today.

He was far from great rushing, but his YPC wasn't all that much different from what we've seen from Mixon in 5 of 6 games. What I wanted to focus on is the following...

--- 5 receptions 59 yards with a TD.
--- As always, did a great job blocking.
--- Looked fantastic with the ball in space.

Now, these aren't earth shattering numbers. But he still had 96 yards of total offense, with a TD. This in a game where our QB threw the ball 47 times. He got minimal carries, and a number of them came at the goal line. All of this behind an already terrible OL that suffered injuries to three starters.

He also has a pretty big reception (I'm guessing around 25 yards) that got call backed on a ticky-tack block in the back that had no effect on his run after catch.

All in all, a really nice performance from Gio.

This is a guy that has been pretty much forgotten for the last few years, that we haven't done enough to get involved. Yet he stepped up today and showed that he's still a very unique weapon. And he even topped it off with a real nice interview after the game where he perfectly illustrated what a good dude he is, and a great teammate.

The Carlos Dunlaps of the world go to social media and pout like a little *****, when they see their usage drop. The Gio Bernards accept the role, and show up when called upon in relief, without ever putting themselves before the team.

We need to figure how to get the ball into this dude's hands more, and we more need guys like Gio. So I just figured JN could give this dude a hand. IMHO, he freakin deserves it.
Reply/Quote
He was awesome in blitz pickup. I.thought he ran well between the tackles. Surprising they didnt try to run him
More on.tosses or sweeps.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 10:23 PM)impactplaya Wrote: He was awesome in blitz pickup.  I.thought he ran well between the tackles. Surprising they didnt try to run him
More on.tosses or sweeps.

He always seems to be great at this and it is over-looked alot.

Also, I loved seeing him being used to chip Garrett and help out Hart. Not sure why they were using that plan since week 1. 

Gio might be a little dude, but watching him toss his body into Garrett with reckless abandon to knock him off his pass rush was fun to watch.

Love Mixon, but Gio does so many little things the right way.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They had some great calls dialed up today for Gio. The Boyd opposite side screen pass was a beauty.

He has been underutilized for a long time which is too bad. I somewhat feel he wasted some good years here.
Reply/Quote
Would have liked to see him get more than 13 carries, but he did a lot of positive stuff today.

Shame the defense had to waste such a good effort by Joe, Gio, Tee, Boyd, etc.

Reply/Quote
Bumping this from last week.
Reply/Quote
Agreed on all accounts. Gio deserves a lot of love today.
Reply/Quote
He is a better all around back than mixon.

Sent from my BV9600 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 10:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Would have liked to see him get more than 13 carries, but he did a lot of positive stuff today.

Shame the defense had to waste such a good effort by Joe, Gio, Tee, Boyd, etc.

How did the defense waste ? They played well vs a better offense than def..
Reply/Quote
Gio getting it done. A great example for the younger players.
Reply/Quote
Great game by Gio. I feel he could have had a few more touches but that's not his fault.
Reply/Quote
It's important to understand what Gio is - a faster back who is also a superb blocker and receiver. Mixon is a classic workhorse power back with more speed than you would expect but not the best blocker. Both have places, and both should be in the backfield.
Reply/Quote
Burrow knows just how to use gio too...
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 07:27 PM)Joelist Wrote: It's important to understand what Gio is - a faster back who is also a superb blocker and receiver. Mixon is a classic workhorse power back with more speed than you would expect but not the best blocker. Both have places, and both should be in the backfield.

Is he, though?

He has never had a 300 carry season (career 16 carries per game avg), he's been hurt 3 out of his 4 years, and his rankings in rushing broken tackle rate among qualified rushers is...

2020: 42nd
2019: 19th
2018: 46th

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 07:18 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: How did the defense waste ? They played well vs a better offense than def..

Umm...the defense wasted Burrow’s 400+ yds 4 TD game by allowing Mayfield to throw all over them and give up a last seconds TD...

You realize the post you quoted was from last week right? You’re so eager to start shit with me you don’t even read posts thoroughly.

Reply/Quote
Yes... Gio has been the most underutilized player since Jeremy Hill showed up. Dude can do way more than pick up the blitz.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I wonder if a RB needy contender would give anything for him.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Gio is the man. He definitely gets my applause. His pass blocking is excellent, but he's still a good RB and great pass catcher.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 08:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I wonder if a RB needy contender would give anything for him.

I'm not sure we aren't the most RB needy team in the league... That's a lil hyperbolic, but he produces when given opportunity. I like having him around.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 08:50 PM)jason Wrote: I'm not sure we aren't the most RB needy team in the league... That's a lil hyperbolic, but he produces when given opportunity. I like having him around.

But we're not a contender. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote