Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Can We Make A Run With This O-Line
(01-04-2022, 12:25 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: We see improvement in offensive line play in Cincinnati and we forget they had nowhere to go but up.  Those ratings are unacceptable especially given the quality we have at quarterback, running back, tight end, and wide receiver.   I don’t think people understand how unstoppable the Bengals would be on offense with a top tier offensive line.

I think it is also people just don't get how bad the line was last season. Last season there were unblocked defenders flying in constantly, and Burrow  was getting hit in less than 2 seconds as opposed to this year's time to contact of over 3 seconds. As a result the offense struggled to move the ball at all. 

I'll take a higher sack number when in the exchange my QB is able to get his plays off the huge majority of the time. As I said upthread you have to charge probably 9 of the sacks to bad blocking by backs and TEs and Burrow by his own admission is to blame for a good number because he waits with the ball for big plays to unfold. How many would require game film study but yesterday 2 at least met that criteria and against the Rats it was also 2. So if I had to guesstimate say 14 on Burrow. 

We got spoiled a little by prime Andy and his NFL fastest release times - it covered up some inadequacies. But the tradeoff was a popgun offense. Burrow is unafraid of contact and lets plays unfold - hence more sacks and also many more big plays. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 10:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Why are you posting in JN if you aren't a Bengal fan?

What’s wrong with that? I’m a bengals “fan” I’m just not a born and bred fan. You need to realize what Burrow did for LSU, it was the most magical season we’ve ever had and he’s probably the most likable person we could’ve possibly had at QB.

Imagine yall winning the Super Bowl this year. Multiply that by 10. That’s who Burrow is to LSU fans. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 01:02 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: What’s wrong with that? I’m a bengals “fan” I’m just not a born and bred fan. You need to realize what Burrow did for LSU, it was the most magical season we’ve ever had and he’s probably the most likable person we could’ve possibly had at QB.

Imagine yall winning the Super Bowl this year. Multiply that by 10. That’s who Burrow is to LSU fans. 

I get it.... that's who Tim Couch was to me as a kid.  Actually led me to being a Browns fan while I was 8 years old for a year or two.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
FWIW, on Browns boards they are:

1) Lamenting the fact they soent so much on Guards (the least important position, as they call it) and have no playmakers and a crap QB, and

2) Remembering that they did not win anything despite having Joe Thomas for over a decade.

While I think wanting what you haven't got has some merit to it, a different perspective is sometimes useful.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 01:28 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: FWIW, on Browns boards they are:

1) Lamenting the fact they soent so much on Guards (the least important position, as they call it) and have no playmakers and a crap QB, and

2) Remembering that they did not win anything despite having Joe Thomas for over a decade.

While I think wanting what you haven't got has some merit to it, a different perspective is sometimes useful.

Yup.... but they don't have a QB worth protecting. Baker doesn't elevate his team.  Which is why its border line criminal that they didn't run Chubb into the ground this season.

You need an O-Line to protect a Burrow, Rogers, Brady type player.
Reply/Quote
Well,the Bengals just defeated what was in my opinion the hottest team in the league at that point in time.

So,I believe the question was,can we make a run with this O-line? Yes we can.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 12:03 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I was very critical of this offensive line coming into the season.How far can this team get with this offensive line as its constructed? I don't like it! The defensive lines become elite at this stage of the season. Its getting cold now Zac!

Going to have to.... there isn't anyone else to pick up at this point.  

Def have to address with some $$$ this off-season.  We got everything else!
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 01:28 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: FWIW, on Browns boards they are:

Ha that’s pretty wild. The grass really is always greener…

And yes, I’d be furious to see my QB get sacked 9x after dropping that kind of money on the OL.

Reply/Quote
The Bengals have to fix this OL. I'm not sure if they can do it with the young guys or if they'll have to spend in free agency. It's the only thing keeping this offense from being nearly unstoppable.
Reply/Quote
Ill happily take Reiff back but he's on the wrong side of 30 i'd love to see us use our first rounder (hell trade up if you need to) on his replacement. If his replacement is ready to roll day 1 kick Reiff inside to RG maybe? Id love to see us sign Jason Kelce if he is available, if not sign the best C we can in FA and bring back Spain to hold down LG. I could mess with this OL and it's really not difficult to achieve.

Our new OL would be:

Jonah-Spain-Kelce*-Reiff/Carman-Reiff/1st round RT if he's ready

*or best available FA

This above OL would rely pretty heavily on Carman to develop in the off-season. Which I think he can, hes only 21. Could also see D'Ante Smith developing and pushing for starting RG.

This would also give us Hopkins and Adeniji (and possibly Reiff if RT works out and Carman develops) as reliable backups who we know can at least play.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 02:32 AM)Burreaux Wrote: The Bengals have to fix this OL. I'm not sure if they can do it with the young guys or if they'll have to spend in free agency. It's the only thing keeping this offense from being nearly unstoppable.

The thing is, the starters are not a complete dumpster fire. 

Jonah and Spain have to be top 20 (ish) at their spots. Not pro-bowl level, but above average. Reiff is solid at RT. Hopkins was awful early but has been improving. He's a better pass blocker than run blocker. RG has been problematic, but we just used a 2nd round pick there last year.  

I don't want to spend big money for nominal upgrades. Or draft capital in guys who aren't better than Reiff/Spain/Carman/Hopkins. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 01:28 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: FWIW, on Browns boards they are:

Burrow would make it work with that browns roster though. I have no doubt in my mind
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 09:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yep. There’s been some improvement. There’s just  no denying that. Especially by merely throwing out sack totals (51 is obviously still WAY, WAY too high though). Tobin has work to do to bring in some top FA’s now. Not guys like XSF. We have the cap space to do it. You have a QB on his rookie contract who’s currently 3rd in MVP odds. You have to go all in. Give Pollack the right pieces and he’ll coach them up.

If you have guys like XSF as your backups, you're doing REALLY well on the oline. If he's your weakest link, you're doing well, if he's middle of the pack, you're doing ok, if he's one of your best, you're in some trouble.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 01:02 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: What’s wrong with that? I’m a bengals “fan” I’m just not a born and bred fan. You need to realize what Burrow did for LSU, it was the most magical season we’ve ever had and he’s probably the most likable person we could’ve possibly had at QB.

Imagine calling yourself a fan of a team and then calling other fans of the same team "y'all" in the same post. If that's not at least a little odd for a "fan", IDK what is. 

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 11:07 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Offensive line will be a priority but not targeting the top tier guys.

So... not exactly a major priority...

Same as it ever was......

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 11:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Btw Jonah was excellent against KC.

I don't get the hate..... isn't he one of our highest pff graded players? Dude's playing his second season at the hardest spot on the oline. I think he's done a pretty good job. 

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 11:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Wasn't that good? Forget the random LSU fan, but it doesn't mean we have to ignore this.... It produced 3 guys on NFL rosters (2 starters), 1 guy still on practice squads, 1 guy with a cup of coffee in the NFL, and 1 pending this coming draft. All playing on one OL in college. That's an absurd amount of talent to have on one college roster.

We do? By what measure?

Our QB is leading the league in sacks.
The rushing offense is 26th in YPC.

Hopkins is the 34th rated C.
Prince is the 60th rated T.
Carman is the 63rd rated G.
Adeniji is the 83rd rated G.
Reiff was the 50th rated T.

Spain has had a good year, and Jonah is pretty alright. Two guys doesn't make an average OL.

That's like saying "we have drafted the most players still on a roster" that we all blasted the Bengals for....lol. I wonder how much of that is due to getting a crack for simply playing in the SEC on a championship team. I remember Burrow scrambling a ton, and taking some shots. I mean, he was getting hammered in the first qtr against Clemson for example. One of the reasons people were high on JB coming here was because "he made a bad line look better, could scramble, used to playing with bad protection", etc. Am I missing something there? He was sacked almost 30 (including 5 against Bama) times in a season where he often rested in a lot of second halves vs some real cream puffs. Yeah, in other words, not that good.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 05:40 AM)Wyche Wrote: Imagine calling yourself a fan of a team and then calling other fans of the same team "y'all" in the same post. If that's not at least a little odd for a "fan", IDK what is. 

Not sure why it’s a weird thing... you guys have been fans for decades (most of YALL at least) and I’m just jumping on board because I love Burrow and Chase, but I’m not pretending like I’m a die hard for years. I’m respectful of YALL’S fandom. It really is that simple.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 06:45 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Not sure why it’s a weird thing... you guys have been fans for decades (most of YALL at least) and I’m just jumping on board because I love Burrow and Chase, but I’m not pretending like I’m a die hard for years. I’m respectful of YALL’S fandom. It really is that simple.

Fair enough.... it's just strange to me at least....I can see "the Bengals" instead of "we". I've just never seen y'all or you guys referring to a team that one pulls for. 

Welcome to the glutton for punishment family....lol. The reason some are skeptical, Jungle Noise is for Bengal fans only, and we've seen our share of trolls and fans of other teams coming in here to start shit. This board has plenty of forums for fans of ANY team, including one designated specifically for trash talk. Although, that one seems to die every time the Bengals become relevant or the other teams suck. LOL
So, you'll have to pardon our skepticism and apprehension toward a new member posting in Jungle Noise and referring to the team as y'all. Wink

Reply/Quote
Last year's Super Bowl revealed a weak OL made it hard for Mahomes to win. I just hope this isn't the case for Burrow during the playoffs. Obviously, the offense has had success despite Burrow being the most sacked QB. I hope the coaching staff can do whatever possible to make adjustments to put the OL we do have in the best position to succeed.
Reply/Quote