Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can We Pay Everybody Within The Cap?
(12-26-2021, 11:08 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: We won't be paying Mixon when it's time to pay Burrow, right? I'd imagine as Mixon declines Burrow's RB of the future is an unknown drafted player.

Nope and if Burrow becomes the once in a generation QB we all hope he will be, we may not invest a lot of cap space in RB’s for a while. RBBC with cheaper, rookie contract or undrafted guys may be the long term future at RB for this team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 09:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sounds like we are in a pretty great spot with the way we have handled the cap.

Bring back Ogunjobi, Spain, BJ Hill, Reiff and add to the OL in FA and we should be good to save up for our special ones.

Need to save up for the Burrow contract though, he going to be spendy but is the most essential player we have ever had IMO.

Remember when the Bengals were always accused of pocketing cap dollars for vacations in Switzerland or something?  Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 09:50 PM)jason Wrote: Jonah's be expensive too...

Let him walk.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2021, 12:14 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Let him walk.

I haven't been overly impressed, tbh.

He's ok/solid/decent/average.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2021, 12:19 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I haven't been overly impressed, tbh.

Then we need to start looking for a replacement. Someone will pay for him.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
They will undoubtedly pick up Jonah’s 5th year option. So we have 2 more years to see how he progresses. With as young as he is (just turned 24 last month) it’s pretty likely we haven’t seen his best yet.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 11:46 PM)grampahol Wrote: Remember when the Bengals were always accused of pocketing cap dollars for vacations in Switzerland or something?  Mellow

Vacations during free agency... And it wasn't a baseless accusation. The pocketing money may have been, but Mr and Mrs Katie were indeed in Switzerland in 2019.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2021, 12:29 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They will undoubtedly pick up Jonah’s 5th year option. So we have 2 more years to see how he progresses. With as young as he is (just turned 24 last month) it’s pretty likely we haven’t seen his best yet.

Fair enough. Thankfully we don't have to make that decision yet.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
tags exist to help franchises out in cap strapped situations....teams always find a way to figure it out.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
For an OT who has had two different line coaches and this is his first full season I'm satisfied with what we are getting so far. Keep Spain and improve C and RG with solid vets while keeping Reiff will let us use the draft to stock up on linemen to groom. We already have three (Smith, Hill, Carman) and two more would be cool.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 11:46 PM)grampahol Wrote: Remember when the Bengals were always accused of pocketing cap dollars for vacations in Switzerland or something?  Mellow

Yeah didn't care for that a couple years back.

Need to pay our guys and keep going for those Lombardi's. I think we can with the team that is being built.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2021, 01:25 AM)Joelist Wrote: For an OT who has had two different line coaches and this is his first full season I'm satisfied with what we are getting so far. Keep Spain and improve C and RG with solid vets while keeping Reiff will let us use the draft to stock up on linemen to groom. We already have three (Smith, Hill, Carman) and two more would be cool.

Don't forget Adeniji who had a good game today from what I saw and even Prince played well.

Still want to bring back Spain and Reiff for damn sure.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 09:54 PM)Whatever Wrote: Our "big" UFA's this off-season will be...

Spain
Reiff
Uzi
Ogunjobi
Bates
Apple
BJ Hill

In '23, we're looking at...

Hopkins
Waynes
Bell
Pratt

Incoming take where pull numbers out of thin air and might be entirely wrong:

Even with what sounds like a big cap we'll have to make some choices. I think the Bengals will pay Spain adequately despite our history with being cheap on Guards. Ideally Spain also gives a discount to the Bengals as they gave him a chance and it helps the team overall not to get too greedy (on this note, I think we will not be able to re-sign Bates). 

I like Reiff but with age and injuries I wonder if we try either a different FA or drafting an RT in the first three rounds. Earlier this year we were planning on moving Carman to RT eventually but so far he's been bad (though it is just his rookie year). 

I won't be surprised if we only keep one of Ogunjobi and BJ Hill at DT. I'd love for us to get both back but Ogunjobi's price could more than double. The team won't pay him more than, say, $11 million a year and he could probably do better on the open market. So maybe we go with BJ Hill, who will get a pay bump but still cost less than Ogunjobi did this year. Then we'd call up Mike Daniels or Renell Wren from the practice squad and see if they have progressed or else draft a DT in the mid rounds. 

We keep Uzo and he shouldn't cost too much more than we are currently paying him. A pay bump of 2 million a year would be fair. He has been clutch for us and that doesn't always show up in the statistics. I don't think we extend Hopkins in advance but he may get a contract that is about the same as his current one when the time comes if we don't have a better option.

We will however extend Vonn Bell in advance with a slight pay bump. Some will suggest this is to pressure Jessie Bates but like I said above I think we don't keep Bates. The gap is too far and Bates will get well paid by some team. Whether he will be worth that money remains to be seen. There are a lot of paths to success and you have to pick what position you are spending money on. 

I'd like to see us cut Trae Waynes. I don't think the Bengals will. Instead he'll play out his final year and then we'll either re-sign him for cheap or let him go. Eli Apple on the other hand is gonna be a Bengal for years. Other teams still won't trust him to produce for them like he has for us and he'll be affordable. 

I assume Pratt won't get extended in advance but will get a new contract when the time comes at around $5 million a year. 

It is worth noting that the $60 million is gonna go faster than people think (yeah I know I sound like Hobson now right?). You have draft picks to pay, injury signings to save for, low level re-signings that add up (Tupou, Johnson, Huber, etc.) and we try to save $10 million to rollover most years (will eventually help with Burrow's contract). All that said, I think we'll spend $25 million on 3-5 new FAs of note (of note means the player costs at least $3 million a year). Even if we draft a corner in either a first or second round I'd be looking for us to continue to look for FAs there. You hope you never need one but a better backup QB might be worth spending some money on. And then you bring in an offensive line piece to replace Reiff and a free safety to replace Bates.

Reply/Quote
The culture has changed in Cincinnati. What WR would not like play with Joey B.? OL? What defensive player would not want to play with Reader, Bates, Hendrickson and an up and coming group of CB's?

The old days of no free agent wants to play in Cincinnati has finally disappointed. MB say what you want, but he has always been loyal to players, it used to be a weakness holding onto guys too long. But Dunlap and Geno changed that as well. He or Katie or both are still loyal, but he is smarter in the process.

I am excited to have a very good young team (I think we are the youngest or top 3 in the NFL) with a ton of cap money in 2022.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 09:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sounds like we are in a pretty great spot with the way we have handled the cap.

Bring back Ogunjobi, Spain, BJ Hill, Reiff and add to the OL in FA and we should be good to save up for our special ones.

Need to save up for the Burrow contract though, he going to be spendy but is the most essential player we have ever had IMO.

This seems logical.  The faster they re-sign the Oger the better, he is a beast!
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 09:51 PM)M.W. Wrote: This seems logical.  The faster they re-sign the Oger the better, he is a beast!

I like that, the Oger!!!Twitch
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2021, 12:19 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I haven't been overly impressed, tbh.

For all the talk of not needing tackles, he hasn't really shown anything that makes you think he'll ever be worth his draft slot.

Spain is the only guy on the line that should be handed a job next season. Everyone else needs to earn it against real competition.

Of course... how they get said real competition will be another question.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Here's my breakdown:

Available Cap space in 2022: $59.7 Mil

Expiring players of note (current salary):

Quinton Spain $1.1MIL

Riley Reiff $7.4 MIL

CJ Uzomah $6.1 MIL

BJ Hill $2.1 MIL

Larry Ogunjobi $6.1 MIL

Eli Apple $1.1 MIL

Jesse Bates $2.8 MIL

Reiff's contract is kind of tricky; although, he'll be out of contract he'll still count $2.8 MIL against the Cap.

Those we should re-sign (market value)

Spain ($10 MIL)

Hill ($6 MIL)

Ogunjobi ($11 MIL)

Apple ($5 MIL)

Those contracts would cost $32 MIL; leaving about $28 MIL in Cap Space

Places we could cut some fat (Cap savings)

Xavier Su’a Filo ($3.1 MIL)

Trae Waynes ($11 MIL)

Trey Hopkins ($6 Mil)

Those moves save us $27.3 MIL, bringing us back to $48 MIL in Cap.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 12:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Here's my breakdown:

Available Cap space in 2022: $59.7 Mil

Expiring players of note (current salary):

Quinton Spain $1.1MIL

Riley Reiff $7.4 MIL

CJ Uzomah $6.1 MIL

BJ Hill $2.1 MIL

Larry Ogunjobi $6.1 MIL

Eli Apple $1.1 MIL

Jesse Bates $2.8 MIL

Reiff's contract is kind of tricky; although, he'll be out of contract he'll still count $2.8 MIL against the Cap.

Those we should re-sign (market value)

Spain ($10 MIL)

Hill ($6 MIL)

Ogunjobi ($11 MIL)

Apple ($5 MIL)

Those contracts would cost $32 MIL; leaving about $28 MIL in Cap Space

Places we could cut some fat (Cap savings)

Xavier Su’a Filo ($3.1 MIL)

Trae Waynes ($11 MIL)

Trey Hopkins ($6 Mil)

Those moves save us $27.3 MIL, bringing us back to $48 MIL in Cap.

So who are the players the Bengals say buh-bye to? Waynes and maybe Su'a Filo?
Reply/Quote
If we invest in the OL then we can win with decent rookie RB's without investing a ton of cash at the position.

Reply/Quote